Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!!

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2018/02/01 13:48:08 (permalink)

Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!!

My church band finally got to have our first live session in the studio!! We aren't so good at all if not because we were struggling against hardware, software, and what I'll refer to as Human Resources. I have a couple of questions regarding how my room is set up though...

1. Is it okay for my monitors to be directed AT (~1.5 - 2ft AWAY from) a wall? If not, what about if the BACK are about 0.5 - to 1ft away from a wall? Is there any way to remove existing pads that have been glued on WITHOUT damaging the pad/wall?
  2. The walls are built to be acoustically insulated, but is it okay to just "slap" the foam pads directly to the wall? That doesn't seem like it gives a tight, dry, versatile result - especially not for louder instruments like drums that cause a lot of their own reverb inside the room. 
  3. My drums are in a corner for space concerns. I might be able to center them against a wall- but center of the room is out of the question. What is the best placement between these two options.
  4. In line with the previous, I'm also not against any info about proper drum micing (although I wrote about it a short while ago here too). This time the sound was pretty bad... the kit is very poorly tuned, but the stereo overheads were also picking up a lot of reverb from the back corner.
  5. There we have Logic Pro - I have SONAR at the home studio... what can I do to learn LP without paying $600? Switch my key bindings in SONAR to LP? Perhaps try a demo for my MacBook?

Lots of questions arise when you go in with an experitmental mindset... Hopefully the collective community here is more than knowledgeable enough to give me some tips on what can be done to get the very best out of this setup - equipment-wise, it IS actually a near-pro studio.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

13 Replies Related Threads

ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 11:18:06 (permalink)
    You got your first live session in the studio, so... I don't follow. You're in someone else's studio? Or do you mean you guys are going to record yourself.
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 12:44:36 (permalink)
    ooblecaboodle
    You got your first live session in the studio, so... I don't follow. You're in someone else's studio? Or do you mean you guys are going to record yourself.

Yup, figured there was more than enough info in that first post to extrapolate the conclusion that we're in our own studio recording ourselves. I'm playing bass and running the system, which would work marvellously if I were a bit more well-versed in the use of Logic Pro.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 13:19:53 (permalink)
    Logic Pro X Explained®
    https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Logic-Pro-X-Explained

56 Videos | Length: 5hr 38min 32sec
    Own it Forever
    $35 Download
    Site All-Access Pass
    $15 /month Get Your Pass

Learn Logic Pro X with Apple Logic Certified Pro Eli Krantzberg in this comprehensive Logic Pro X tutorial video collection. At over 5 hours, Eli can take you from a beginner Logic Pro X user to power user status. Logic Pro X Explained provides a deep understanding of Apple's flagship DAW and can help both new users and experienced users looking to get a more solid foundation. If you're ready to master Logic Pro X features and functions, this is the best way to learn.
    Eli starts with an introduction covering some important basics and then jumps right in, showing you how to create your first project. Interface overviews, navigation and more are all covered in the "Exploring the Interface" chapter. Next, Eli shows you how to work with Apple Loops, create and manage tracks, the Inspector, Quantizing, channel strips, using plug-ins, zooming and so much more.
    Recording is up next and Eli examines the Drummer Track, setting up clicks and count offs, MIDI, AutoPunch, Loop Recording, using Take Folders and a loads more stuff! Editing in LPX is then covered, and Eli goes deep into working in the Tracks Area, Region Editing, the different Editors, MIDI Draw, Score Editor, Flex Pitch, using the Groove Track and more.
    Eli wraps up your Logic Pro X journey with a whole chapter on Mixing. Working with Fades, Markers, Screen Sets, Smart Controls and MIDI FX are just some of the topics covered. Eli even shows you how to process each Drum Designer drum piece individually with audio effects, how to use automation to control parameters over time for cool and useful effects, and how to share your final mix with the world!
    Wether you're making Logic Pro X your main DAW, upgrading from an older version of Logic, or just want to use Logic Pro X along side other software, this is your definitive resource! Invest in the best... Get "Logic Pro X Explained" today.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    ooblecaboodle
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 15:37:27 (permalink)
    davdud101
    ooblecaboodle

Yup, figured there was more than enough info in that first post to extrapolate the conclusion that we're in our own studio recording ourselves. I'm playing bass and running the system, which would work marvellously if I were a bit more well-versed in the use of Logic Pro.

You have a room, that you aren't sure about how to set up for recording, aren't very versed about how to record. 
    That's not "getting your first live session in the studio", that's just "mucking about". Which is fine.

I suggest you look up the various individual topics, rather than just asking the all-encompassing "how do I best record myself and my band".
    This stuff has been covered here, and elsewhere, in great detail.

EDIT: also, this isn't a Logic forum.
    abacab
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 16:58:24 (permalink)
    ooblecaboodle

Chill, bro!  This ain't the 'Sonar Techniques' forum either. 

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 21:42:19 (permalink)
    There is also Logic training available on Udemy. Here:

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=Logic%20pro%20x&src=ukw

There are also a bunch of free Logic courses if all you want to do is setup Logic for recording which I had to do recently. The free courses got me going and that is all I needed. I then moved it all to a drive and mixed in Studio One.

Free Logic Stuff on Udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=Logic%20pro%20x&src=ukw&price=price-free

I think Udemy are the Logic training experts not so much Groove 3. That Groove 3 video is also on Logic 10.0 which is fine but it now it is along at 10.3 and now very recently 10.4 which has added a lot.

But like me you may only want to know how to set Logic up to an interface and track a session and I was able to do that from the free Udemy courses quite easily.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    abacab
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/02 22:16:28 (permalink)
    I think the quality of Udemy courses is pretty high quality in general, if you can find what you need.  Plus the course developers seem to keep up to date with the latest versions of programs.  I have registered for several free and paid courses there and the ones they have are quite good, and once on the mailing list they periodically will run $10 specials to enroll, with like a 90% discount or so.  

The only downside with Udemy is that they carry more general subject matter, not so much in music software specifically, but it's definitely worth a look!  Lots of coverage for music theory, songwriting, and production.

I also use Groove3, as they do specialize in music software, but I have noticed that they seem to have a lot of older content, and are not always current with the latest versions.  They do seem to produce short overviews of what's new in the latest version of popular programs, but don't seem to redevelop the entire course curriculum often.  But you can watch an older course, and then play catch up with the new features.

jude77
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/04 21:16:15 (permalink)
    Hi DD:
    I don't know how to answer all your questions but in relation to #1, if your referring to your playback monitors, as a GENERAL rule they should be about 30% of the total length of your room from the back wall.  So if you're in a room that is 20 feet long then your monitors should be about 7 feet from the wall.  The .5 to 1 foot distance you mention is probably going to give you bass boost and create the illusion that your recordings more bass heavy than they really are.  Ergo, your mixes won't sound great outside of that room.

In relation to question #2, if foam is all the acoustic treatment in the room, then it's probably not doing much good if you're recording bass and drums live.  You probably need to upgrade that.  There are some good articles on the web about building bass traps that would be worth a read. 

Lastly, it sounds like you're in a fairly small room (which most of us are) and the truth is, it's hard to get a decent sound in one.  You asked about micing drums in question #3 and how to develop better technique.  Good technique will always help, but you have to remember if your room sounds bad then you're still going to end up with a good recording of a bad sounding room. 

I guess here's my bottom line (for whatever it's worth): work hard to fix your room, otherwise you will always be struggling with your recordings.

Good luck with your music!

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/05 00:36:40 (permalink)
    davdud101
  • Is it okay for my monitors to be directed AT (~1.5 - 2ft AWAY from) a wall? If not, what about if the BACK are about 0.5 - to 1ft away from a wall?

• The close the back is to a wall the more bass ramping you get, which may well not be a good thing. I can not imagine why you might want to point monitors at a wall 2ft away.

davdud101
  • The walls are built to be acoustically insulated, but is it okay to just "slap" the foam pads directly to the wall? That doesn't seem like it gives a tight, dry, versatile result - especially not for louder instruments like drums that cause a lot of their own reverb inside the room. 

• Most/many acoustic tiles on the market aren’t very good at creating a “tight, dry” result. Or at least they may do so at higher frequencies but low mids and bass require a serious weight of very high-density foam or rockwool to begin to lower their reflected volumes. And the acoustic treatment often needs to be a distance away from the wall as well so the sound passes through it twice.

davdud101
  • My drums are in a corner for space concerns. I might be able to center them against a wall- but center of the room is out of the question. What is the best placement between these two options.

• Neither is good, but the corner is worst. Probably much worse.

davdud101
  • In line with the previous, I'm also not against any info about proper drum micing (although I wrote about it a short while ago here too). This time the sound was pretty bad... the kit is very poorly tuned, but the stereo overheads were also picking up a lot of reverb from the back corner.

• davdud101
  • There we have Logic Pro - I have SONAR at the home studio... what can I do to learn LP without paying $600? Switch my key bindings in SONAR to LP? Perhaps try a demo for my MacBook?

• If you have a decent Intel MacBook Logic Pro costs a lot less than $600 doesn’t it? UK price is £200, US $200 if I remember right. There’s no Logic Pro X demo as far as I’m aware.

On the audio side it’s not so different from Sonar or any other DAW. Off the top of my head the main things I found to be awkward learning the audio side of Logic is that it handles track folders differently, mono tracks can’t be panned, they have to be run into a stereo bus to allow panning, the effects on average maybe aren’t as good as the ones with Platinum (though the recent update to Logic has improved things a bit there) and the mixer view can be a bit confusing till you understand how the different view options work.

The MIDI side has some substantial differences both in minor workflow ways and major ones, some things are better, others worse.

Logic’s manuals are free and pretty good, except where the MIDI Environment is concerned.

If the recording has to be done in Logic then it’s pretty much the same as recording in Sonar. Create tracks with the required inputs, record enable them and record. Input echo works as you’d expect if needed, just Command-click (aka right click on mouse, two finger tap on trackpad) the track to pull up the track contents menu if the button with an “I” in it is missing. If you want to mix in Sonar later just export each track as a broadcast wave file so Sonar puts it in the right place along the time-line automatically.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    ooblecaboodle
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/06 14:19:47 (permalink)
    abacab
    ooblecaboodle

What I'm getting at is that it might be just slightly more useful, to ask on a Logic users' group. FFS.
    abacab
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/06 14:55:28 (permalink)
    ooblecaboodle
    abacab
    ooblecaboodle

What I'm getting at is that it might be just slightly more useful, to ask on a Logic users' group. FFS.

His questions #1-4 were about the room.  Only #5 was about Logic.

If you took the time to read the post, and respond, why not give some appropriate advice.

ooblecaboodle

You have a room, that you aren't sure about how to set up for recording, aren't very versed about how to record. 
    That's not "getting your first live session in the studio", that's just "mucking about". Which is fine.

I suggest you look up the various individual topics, rather than just asking the all-encompassing "how do I best record myself and my band".
    This stuff has been covered here, and elsewhere, in great detail.

FFS. This dude is a volunteer in a church musical group, not someone pretending to walk into a pro recording studio and get paid for a gig.  He also mentioned that they have 'human resource' issues.  So probably no engineer on church staff either.  The OP probably got 'volunteered' for the task because he has a home studio and used Cakewalk.

Telling him to look elsewhere when he probably assumed that there was some collective knowledge here is not that helpful.

If you consider his post a waste of your precious time, why did you bother?

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/07 22:23:46 (permalink)
    Why is everyone so concerned about how OTHERS behave.  Let it be.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

abacab
    Re: Band's first live studio session.... and I've got some questions!!! 2018/02/07 23:31:19 (permalink)
    Maybe you should take your own advice! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1