Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :)

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/02/02 00:57:29 (permalink)

Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :)

I have a Roland quad capture audio interface, Realtek integrated sound in my PC and Nvidia sound in my graphics card.

It is a new I9 PC. 
I am trying to set it up to make (Cakewalk/Adobe/raytracing) instructional and gaming videos. 

I plan to use OBS studio to record.

I want the switch from when I make a gaming video to when I make a Cakewalk instructional video as least complicated as possible. As simple as changing a profile in OBS and not having to reroute sound devices, hardware plugs and drivers.

Example: When I am in Cakewalk I would like to use the same mic (plugged into the Roland quad capture with phantom power) that I am using to narrate the video as I use to sing and lay down vocal tracks in the video.

I would think it should be as simple as creating an audio track in Cakewalk and having it input the same mic.

No matter what I do I can't seem to get the quad capture to play its audio without it also including the mic input in the signal.

I am so confused now between "the main", input 1 + 2 and input 3 + 4.

I have a USB analog to digital audio converter box also that has left and right RCA inputs to a coaxial RCA output, this would output the Realtek or Nvidia sound card into its own input on the Roland quad capture. 

Though, this seems like the wrong way to do things and I am afraid of a feedback loop and blowing up my whole computer! lol 

There must be a way to isolate within the Roland quad capture the mic input from the Cakewalk master output so that OBS can separately see them.

I am confused between the "direct" output switch in the quad capture driver software and the playback/input knob.

Any help in clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't expect to get all of this answered very quickly. It seems like the kind of thing that may take a month to figure out.  :)

OBS studio is fairly easy to set up it is getting Roland quad capture to isolate the master output of cakewalk and my games from the mic input on the quad capture that is giving me the most frustration.

If I switch to a USB mic then why use the quad capture at all?

I like the quad capture and I am familiar with how it works and I like having a real physical knob to attenuate the volume.

I just can't figure out how to set the quad capture to isolate the mic and master outputs into separate tracks.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Someone in a Youtube video suggested using VoiceMeeter Bananna, there must be a way to do this without that program. 

Thanks in advance.

15 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/02 11:17:22 (permalink)
    I do not think I understand what you mean by all that right... but:

Each audio device has hardware (!) "Output(s)" and sometimes "Inputs". At the beginning, they are separated, till something route one to another. There are several ways to route hardwire(!):
    1) with real cables you can connect some Output to Input, on the same device or between devices. Note that you can not connect Input to Output with a cable. F.e. you can connect Realtek output to Roland input, but you can not connect Roland input (mic) to whatever using this method.
    2) with hardware mixers (I remind, I write about hardware only so far). Roland (and Realtek) have build-in mixers. On Roland that is "Direct monitor". But do not be confused by "Direct monitor" "Mono" button. It defines weather input should be mixed as mono (so to the center) or "as is" (1->left, 2->right). The amount of direct monitoring is controlled by the "Mix" knob. "Playback" (leftmost) position means no direct monitor, "Input" (rightmost) position means no playback (so direct monitor only).

Now to the software. Here it is a bit more confusing. When you set the "Input" in software, it does not directly mean some Inputs hardware. In general, in software(!):
    1) software mixer can route Input to Output directly. In Windows standard audio settings (for inputs) or custom GUIs of interfaces.
    2) the "Input" for software can be hardware Input or software Output (!). OBS can record Mic input of Roland, but it can also record (supposed to be sent to) output for Roland/Realtek/NVidia. Note that in the second case, it records only signal generated inside PC for the output. F.e. if you Direct monitor Mic on Roland but record the output for Roland in OBS, you will hear the mic in speakers (connected to Roland) but it will not be recorded by OBS (since it will be "mixed" with PC output on hardware level). If you not direct monitor Mic on Roland but record Roland input in OBS, you normally will not hear mic in speakers (but see (3)) but it will be recorded.
    3) software can "direct monitor" inputs to outputs. F.e. in Sonar that is "Echo" button of the track. The effect is like in (1).

But... In general, sharing one hardware device between several programs in parallel is a bad idea. Imagine one computer keyboard is used by 2 persons. Sometimes that is not possible at all ("exclusive" mode WASAPI, ASIO for most interfaces), can produce some troubles (audio glitches, no sound for one of the applications) or work on acceptable level.
    I do not have Roland Quad Capture, but having Roland e-drums and VS-20, I guess any Roland fall into "produce some troubles" category (all Roland interfaces in practice use almost the same Edirol technology).
    M-Audio I have fall into "can work on acceptable level" category. As long as bit depth is equal.
    RME... can do everything. If you are serious about your setup, think about Babyface Pro. It will take you may be 2 month to understand, will cost quite a lot including cables (note you will need special XLR->TS/Chich if your speakers do no have XLR inputs). But it will work with "one click switch" once setup correctly, without noise and reliable.

With what you have, it is also possible to route things. But not perfect.
    For example:
    * set Sonar to use windows driver (not ASIO, not WASAPI), do not forget to increase buffers. Monitoring throw Sonar will not be possible, so you will need to use "Mix" knob on Roland.
    * set Windows to output to Roland.
    * set OBS scenes to record what you need, Roland's input alone or Rolands output (so everything mixed)

Or...
    * set Sonar to use Roland in ASIO
    * set Windows to Realtek
    * connect SPDIF output from Roland to Realtek (if you can) or normal/headphones output of Roland to Realtek.
    * turn "Mix" knob all the way left and orginize required routing of mic into used for chained connection Roland output inside Sonar or use "Mix" knob to control mic volume to OBS.

There are several other variants... Once you get the idea, I guess you can find what you need 

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/02 15:01:32 (permalink)
    azslow3

Or...
    * set Sonar to use Roland in ASIO
    * set Windows to Realtek

I am not familiar with OBS studio, so will only talk to the hardware/Windows settings at this point.

The above "may" be your answer, but I am also not clear what the OP is really doing. Windows will run multiple interfaces, but will not let a single program run multiple ones simultaneously, so the above suggestion is preferred, and how I run my system. Are you recording with ShadowPlay, or is OBS studio a variant of that on the audio side?

First, the Nvidia HD drivers are only going to do anything if you run HDMI output to a monitor that can play sound (not preferred in most cases), so they only give another resource for Windows to manage and get confused with. You can go into the "Device Manager" and disable those (easiest), but forget offhand if they are required for ShadowPlay.

Second, to achieve the above (at least in Win7) you must explicitly tell Windows to use the Realtek driver by default. To do this:
    1. Open your sound properties with both Realtek and the Quad on (so both devices are listed).
    2. Even if Realtek is "default," set the Quad to default, then shift the default back to the Realtek (highlight them and choose the "set default" near the bottom of that screen).
    3. If the Quad is set to default, you only need to highlight the Realtek and set that to default.
    With that done, Windows will now default to Realtek for any program which needs audio output and manage conflicts, but makes the Quad reserved for a program you want to use ASIO with (i.e., SONAR). Essentially, a recording program that has ASIO selected inside the program itself is the only thing that will see the Quad.

From there, open SONAR and configure it to use the Quad with your mic connected to it, and you should be able to record that mic in SONAR while recording in ShadowPlay, but will need to use a video editor to mate the two audio track up after the fact.

You can achieve recording both in SONAR with a physical loopback but this requires discipline and proper setup so that you do not blow an input on the Quad doing so. I will not post details on that at this point, since I am not clear what you are trying to achieve and am not sure how familiar you are with setting things up (no offense to you, just protecting your hardware).

Could you please let us know the specifics of what you are trying to do?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/02 19:56:17 (permalink)
    Thank you both for your awesome posts! They will take me a month to study them.

This is, I think, by far the most complex discussion I have ever had online.

I plan to really learn a  lot in this process. This takes more than just learning how to set it and leave it alone but a deep understanding so I can make changes on the fly.

It is sort of simple what I want to do but then again it is extremely complex.

I want to be able to set windows to record a "live" XLR microphone track (mono), a "real-time" stereo mix track and a video track simultaneously from Cakewalk.

I would like the live mic selectable and useable in Cakewalk and the realtime mix track supplied by cakewalk while the video track is supplied by a USB webcam.

I want to record all three and save them as a multi audio/video mp4 file.

I could just try and mix the mic and audio mix together and have one stereo file but that is not how I like to do things. Especially when I do not plan to stream this but I plan to edit it later because I want it all in 4k. 4K is too big to stream. So with post editing I could drag any out of sync tracks either way to align them to the video and each other in the video editor.

I do not want to use a USB mic it must be an XLR mic recording.

Does anyone have a complete schematic for the Roland quad capture. :) let's get on the same page here.
    Having a schematic for the Realtek sound card would be helpful too. 

THANK YOU!!!!  

Last night I uses "asio 4 all" windows drivers instead of my roland drivers and suddenly a lot of things had ASIO listings in Cakewalk,  but still nothing seemed to talk to one another and with various configurations my quad capture kept giving me the message that my "device was in use".

At another point I got my mic isolated but the cakewalk mix had my mic in it also...

I have two little devices also i got on amazon. one is an analogue to digital converter and the other is a digital to analogue converter. The are both a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes (usb powered) and both have RCA ins and outs. So I could make use of the  3/4 inputs and outputs of the Roland quad capture. The stereo RCA outs could go into the realtek line in. Or I could use a mixer and feed the Phantom powered mic into the 3/4 ins if need be. I was up till 4 AM and still no luck. I don't have a phantom powered mixer (yet) also. It would only need one channel.

Yet I am still not sure if the quad capture would pass these inputs out separately or mix them together before exiting the audio interface. 

I suppose with a phantom powered mic I could send that into the line in of the realtek but then I would no longer have it for use in cakewalk unless I could route it in somehow like a midi synth then I could record the mic before it enters the quadcapture.

Just confused and scattered thoughts at this point.

Maybe I will buy a "very cheap" preamp and phantom powered
     mixer. 
    RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/02 20:13:24 (permalink)
    I just dug this out of the closet and YAY it is phantom powered!
    Behringer Xenyx 802 Premium 8-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps and British EQshttps://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C

I wonder if I can send a mono signal from this mixer into the mic input jack of the Realtek?

Would it work and would it be wired right to accept a mono 1/8" jack into the PC?

I could set the Realtek mic input in cakewalk to not enter the main mix but just record and monitor.

Would there be a lag in Cakewalk and would my vocal be offset?

An I9 should be able to handle it right?

azslow3
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/03 15:09:43 (permalink)
    RexRed
    I could set the Realtek mic input in cakewalk to not enter the main mix but just record and monitor.
    Would there be a lag in Cakewalk and would my vocal be offset?

Sorry, still unclear for me

Cakewalk track -> OBS
    Mic -> Cakewalk -> ?
    Mic -> OBS
    At the same time?

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1517664241&sr=1-4&keywords=behringer+mixer+usb
    Can give you:
    Mic -> USB -> OBS (without realtek) and in parallel
    Mic -> (Analog) -> Roland -> Cakewalk

But...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    But I have just tried with my Babaface Pro:
    Mic -> Cakewalk (separate track, recording mic) -> Monitor (separate output) -> Headphones
    Mic -> Headphone (directly, without software)
    Mic -> OSB
    Cakewalk (backing track, playing ) -> Separate output -> OSB (so, no mic from Cakewalk)
    Firefox -> OSB
    Firefox -> Headphones
    Firefox -> Cakewalk (separate track, recording, no monitoring, so not Firefox from Cakewalk to OSB)
    ALL that AT THE SAME TIME!
    I was switching on/off particular routes to check that it works as expected.
    I guess that can cover everything you can imagine to do

The difference: you roland is 4x4 and is not multi-app capable (till degrading latency and quality). BFPro is 12x12x(12x12) (last 12x12 are software inputs and outputs, they are decoupled from first 12x12 hardware connectors), with build in digital mixer. So you can create 12 (6 stereo) separate mixes from 24 input sources (12 hardware inputs + 12 software OUTPUTS). And you can use any set from that mixes as the INPUT for software in addition to OUTPUT to hardware.
    With one mic, monitors and headphones as the only "hardware" that sounds like an overkill. But to organize the routing I have mentioned, I had to use more than 50% of that "matrix".

I must admin that before I put BFPro on my table (a) I was sure I do not need it (b) it is too expensive (c) I already have 8 (!) interfaces in the room (Realtek, SB, M-Audio Audiophile, M-Audio 410, Behringer USB Mixer, TC Vocal processor, Roland RD-11, Cakewalk VS-20).
    But since I have it on my table, I am convinced (I) I use more its functionality then I have thought I will (II) for stability, latency and functionality, it is well worse the money.
    For your case:
    * you can route the way you like, you can use it in parallel by several applications. So whatever you have in mind, you can be convinced that your system can manage that.
    * you can sing/speak with monitoring throw the DAW and till you are crazy about latency, you will not hear ~4.5ms delay
    * you will not loose the sound in the middle of something (with all my other interfaces, that has happened more then once)

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/04 06:36:00 (permalink)
    Here is a routing diagram I created in Adobe Illustrator. This is how the universe was made (haha, just kidding). Let me know what you think of this way of hooking things up. It took me several entire days to figure it all out. 

azslow3
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/04 09:44:52 (permalink)
    There is at least one problem:
    Since Cakewalk <-> ASIO Roland is "closed" system, you can not get sound out of it other then with directly connected to Roland speakers. I mean you can not capture it into OBS nor route throw realtek to speakers.
    So you will need to connect Roland output to Realtek input, better digital, but analog can work as well.

For me, there will be yet another problem. While many people claim Realtek has seriously improved audio quality, I can not use SB nor old Realtek with my studio headphones, there is too much noise (from low hum up to high pitched inducted from HDDs, mouse and other components). It is in fact better with my 2016 notebook, but still not usable for me.

For DIY fun, the schema can work. But you have i9, 3 monitors and want 4k. Yet you build sound schema on under $100 audio with $1 (realtek chip) primary component. Roland interface is more or less fine, but it was thought for other jobs.

RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/04 20:31:25 (permalink)
    The Realtek is set to record in 24 bit and unless you are Neil Young and able to hear flea farts you will not be able to hear the noise floor in any recording. Even a 5 dollar sound card recording in 24 bit records far above the inherent noise floor. If you are getting noise in your recordings it is your CPU fan and I suggest getting some long, second gen USB cables and moving your PC further away and some sound proofing foam inside your PC to deflect fan noise and low noise fans. The PC fan noise and keyboard clicks would far surpass any noise made by the computer's electronics.

Also, I send my line out of the PC into a: 
    PYLE-PRO PHE400 Hum/Noise Eliminator 2-Channel Box with TRS Phone and XLR Inputs/Outputshttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BARTW42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This eliminates a huge hum factor.

If you are hearing any hum in your output or recordings after all of this you have a faulty device along the chain or you are setting your record volume way too low.

All electronics put out hum and it is that very hum that is being added back into recordings to give them more analogue warmth...

Also one could add a second Roland audio interface if need be but I am still learning the system and learning the ins and outs. Also, having the PC keyboard set master volume and mute is a nice feature.

If over time I notice any degradation in the final sound product I will go for a second external interface replacing the realtek internal interface altogether.

Still recuperating from the I9 price tag though. :)
    azslow3
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/05 19:12:05 (permalink)
    RexRed
    The Realtek is set to record in 24 bit and unless you are Neil Young and able to hear flea farts you will not be able to hear the noise floor in any recording. Even a 5 dollar sound card recording in 24 bit records far above the inherent noise floor.

I am sorry to disappoint you... but there is no single audio interface in the world with can record in 24bit...
    Before you start to think that I am crazy, please read on. You will understand.

There is an audio input part (analog), than ADC (analog to digital converter), then you get some bits. Once you are at bit (digital) level, you can transfer everything precise. Modern ADCs are more or less ok, already not 24bit precise, but ok. But analog part is what can be from worse, throw good up to very good. To get some ideas how good it can be (that is not the whole story), look at SNR characteristics of the interface. It will immediately limit which bits can be real and which can not be. Calculation is simple: 16bit -96dB, 24bit -144dB.
    Now have a look at specification (keeping in mind they want best numbers, sometimes putting the device is unrealistic, special tuned environment). For Realtek: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3
    (select the chip you like).
    For older one, you will find something like -85dB. Under 16bit! Better -104dB. So claimed 17bit, in perfect condition.
    Top audio interfaces can do -118dB. ~20bit

I have older Realtek. Not only it is under 16bit, that is not so bad. But analog circuits on it was bad isolated. The noise I was talking about is not mechanical, it is inducted electrically from other circuits. Including digital.

I do not try to convince you waste money. I just try to explain what you have, what you can have and where is the difference. If not welcome, I have other things to do.

RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/07 00:39:26 (permalink)
    Azslow3 thank you for your input! I welcome even corrections on my understanding of this technology.

I would like to state that the diagram I put forward above was put there for the very reason to elicit criticism and a simpler solution.

I have for a week steady been plugging and re-plugging in devices, changing their settings to no avail.

It seemed every time I would try a configuration I would come up against a wall or, find distortion in the signal.

You mentioned Azslow3 that your laptop had an enormous amount of hum in the signal, that is not because of the electronics not being shielded well, that is because the power supply acts as an antenna. The next time you set up your laptop to record and experience the hum try this test. Unplug the power supply and let it run only on battery.

Your noise will be gone. I learned this the hard way out on a gig trying to use my laptop. Unfortunately I could not get rid of the terrible buzz/hum until I got back home and researched the problem on Google.

All non Apple laptops with an external power supply have this inherent problem.

Just wondering if that was what you were experiencing.

As for my problem at hand.

Last night was the first time I was able to finally get my setup to work. I was just about to go to bed at 4AM and I said to myself just one more test... This was successful!

Using various Youtube tutorial videos I overcame much confusion as to whether to try and record the source input or the source output. Whether to use ASIO drivers and on what devices. How to route those drivers within Windows and what virtual software to use to accommodate those drivers so as to be able to pass these signals off to OBS studio so I cold isolate these sources into different audio tracks while still maintaining the highest quality signal. 

There are so many switches and toggles along the way. I am by no means saying I understand it (hell no!) but I got it to finally work and the setup is now saved and retrievable, (hopefully) reproducible with other programs and devices. 

And for the most part "simple" and not requiring jumping hoops like my rats nest of a diagram I posted above.

For one I was able to shut off the Realtec and Nvidia sound devices completely!

That sure simplified things considerably!

I am also using ASIO for ALL and VoiceMeeter Banana (both apps I plan to leave a nice donation to soon). 

I will be spending a few hours tonight remaking my diagram, I need to cement this program of wiring and switches in my head.

I am able to use my XLR Audio Technica microphone and that is one of the pluses that I have not seen others use online in the the various Youtube instructional videos. They are all using USB microphones.

I am also relying only on my Roland Quad capture and there are no other sound cards (other than virtual) that are being used.

Other than, an analog to digital device smaller than the size of a cigarette pack that converts my mic out signal from the mixer to digital so it can enter into the 3/4 input on the back of the Roland quad capture. I bought this device because I wanted to someday maybe utilize those ports on the back of the Roland and it was real cheap on Amazon.

This is the device listed below on top I used to pipe the mic out of the mixer into the 3/4 inputs on the back of the Roland Quad Capture. It has brand name printed on the device it that is not shown or listed in the Amazon description and that name is "Portta"...  
    SANOXY Analog to Digital Audio Converter Adapterhttps://smile.amazon.com/..._s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this device listed below which I am not using.

PROZOR Digital to Analog Converter DAC Digital SPDIF Toslink to Analog Stereo Audio L/R Converter Adapter with Optical Cable for PS3 XBox HD DVD PS4 Home Cinema Systems AV Amps Apple TV
    https://smile.amazon.com/..._s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just love having little doohickey devices like these anyway.

Being external it is far removed from the electronics of the motherboard and its fans and it is powered by USB that I plug into one of my phone charger cubes.

I will post a new diagram once I am done making it.

Since a lot of this stuff is handled internal to Windows I am not sure I will be able to really represent all of the routing parameters in this set up but I will make a listing of how everything is set regardless of if I understand it.

The final test of if this has been working or not has been taking the MP4 file created by OBS studio and dragging it into a test file I made in Premiere and seeing if the stereo vocal track is isolated and has no game music in it and if the separate game music track is clear of any vocal mic input. Also the vocal track and music track needs to be free of any perceptible noise (hiss, pops, hums, clicks distortion etc), this seems to be working now.

Now to try and get this same setup to translate over to Cakewalk. I think it will work and I think I have a hunch as to why it would not work before but I need to test out that theory before I say what it might be.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/07 20:05:26 (permalink)
    I get lost trying to read this, but seems the majority of the issue lies in the audio pathing. The other, especially for my version of Premiere Pro (CS5.5), is that it will not recognize a web cam in any way.

Camtasia might be another option to look at, since they do have a fully functional demo, and have done a lot of advancement in the past few years. They were pathing down the "screen captures" with embedded web cam with various audio inputs. If you have the ability to demo Camtasia, it might be simpler.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/08 00:16:23 (permalink)
    The comment about ALL laptops suffer hums is not true. I use my laptops for live performance. I once had an Acer that hummed. I took advice somewhere and cut the ground pin off. Hum went away--but, power supply died within 2 months. Next Laptop was a Asus netbook, I still use it after 10 years. No hum. I also have a 2008 Sony, no hum, and just was given a nice i5 Acer. No hum. 
    Of course there is some hum when you use the 1/8' jack but it is so low as to not be noticeable. The little Asus net book is dead quiet and the bet of the lot.  SSD drives I think help. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/10 04:31:57 (permalink)
    Cactus Music, all laptops can hum if there is a ground loop like, simply plugging in another device the requires wall power input. You never know it will happen until you try and use it in a particular setup where it does. As long as you do not connect another device to your laptop like an amp, an audio interface or another laptop with its own wall plug you are generally fine. I am just saying, any laptop can have this happen and the external power supply acts as an antenna worsening the problem. A hum destroyer device can fix it. It is less likely to happen with a PC because the power supply is not elongated and removed from the PC where it can pick up electronic disturbances as easily from the air. Though PC's are also susceptible to this disturbance, I will guarantee your laptop audio will contain a hum if subjected to a ground loop.

I don't really understand ground loops all that well but I have encountered them and found solutions for them with various devices that fix it. 

As for this setup I have been trying to do...

I have been researching this problem for quite some time now.

I have come to the realization that the only way to solve this problem is to use two independent mics. One USB mic in the headset for my game audio and one mic in Cakewalk for recording.

Only this way can Cakewalk keep its own ASIO zero latency drivers. I am still using VoiceMeeter Banana and OBS studio but the audio of me speaking in my videos is from the headset while the audio I am laying down in Cakewalk comes from my XLR mic. I do not need ASIO for All.

I just pull the XLR mic over in front of me when I am laying down a vocal track. I don't monitor the mic because of the lag but I can if I just choose to switch headphones. Or I can pass the headphones off to a guest I might be recording. I am using the Realtek sound card for the headset and mic and the Roland Quad Capture for headphones for Cakewalk but the main mix is feeding over to the Realtek too.

Most often I am just using headset plugged into the Realtek inputs.

Using the ASIO drivers only for the Roland makes it much less likely that I will get a "device in use" message when changing latency because it is fully dedicated to the Roland alone.

At least ten times I thought I had this all figured out 'til I came up against an insurmountable wall in the plan.

This time I think I have got it.

I will post a revised diagram once I have had time to remake it.
    Racery
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/10 14:51:08 (permalink)
    My device is so low , and i think i need to root it ?
    RexRed
    Re: Audio Interface input isolation problems (help!!!!) :) 2018/02/11 08:13:19 (permalink)
    Here is the final routing diagram I made to help me cement into my mind the various audio sources and how they are linked in the recording chain. I hope it is helpful to some who would like to isolate their inputs and outputs into separate tracks in the least confusing but most effective and noiseless way. A third possible listening source is the Quad Capture line out on the back of the device to powered speakers or amp. This diagram has changed many times in the last week, since I started this thread and been refined 'til this became the result. This is a workable routing schematic that requires very few tweaks to move from one recording project to another; most all routing "switches" are done in VoiceMeeter Banana. It allows for recording of 4k videos through OBS Studio and the highest quality audio into MP4 container files that Adobe Premiere can then parse into separate tracks for editing and exporting.

Thanks for the help on this Cakewalk peeps! You may not realize this, but you have all been a big help in various ways of providing me with the understanding to accomplish this endeavor. THANKS AGAIN ALL!

Best!
    RexRed
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1