Writing Dead notes in Sonar Notation

Author
LukeL
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2018/02/11 06:49:49 (permalink)

Writing Dead notes in Sonar Notation

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know how to write dead notes in Sonar notation? I have tried everything and I am stuck.

I have tried writing them in guitar pro and importing as midi, it seems like when I do that they are displaying as sixteenth notes. I understand this means I could write songs with ghost notes as midi and import, but it would be great to be able to write such notes in sonar.

I am actually a bit behind, I am still using Sonar 8. I am using many virtual instruments like many of the East West products and Symphobia.

Any assistance would be appreciated,

Luke

3 Replies Related Threads

dede
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1124
    Re: Writing Dead notes in Sonar Notation 2018/02/11 21:25:41 (permalink)
    Luke, I don't think that the staff view qualifies as "Sonar Notation" really, I guess you wont be able to change a note's head to an "x" for ghost note, you can reduce it's size the have a slur note, etc.
    it is not intended for that  I think.
    I allays export the *.mid to a serious notation program for that, Sonar Staff View is for scoring and sequencing IMO but not notation, sadly..

D.D.
    www.dedeland.com

SONAR Platinum 64bit
    SONAR X3e both 32bit and 64bit
    Alpha Track + TouchDaw
    ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Chipset Intel Z170 Express)
    Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ/RAM 16Go 
    RME Fireface UC
    Win 7 x64 ultimate French
    Sonar running in English
    LukeL
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Writing Dead notes in Sonar Notation 2018/02/12 07:02:01 (permalink)
    Hi Dede,

I should of clarified, although I am using notation I am not using it to print sheet music as such, more so to produce scores and songs ie rock/metal songs, so I am more so interested in the actual sound of the note than the visual representation of the note. Therefore, is there any way to get the sound of a dead note in sonar via the notation view? I have a few virtual instruments like ministry of rock which have a palm mute articulation but it doesn't sound exactly like a dead note. I also tried giving some notes a velocity value of 1, still no luck.
    dede
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1124
    Re: Writing Dead notes in Sonar Notation 2018/02/12 10:14:02 (permalink)
    You won't use the notation to get a sound, is more to have a visual of the score.
    The "sound" of a dead note you get it from the instrument, if you have a palm mute sampler you trigger that in the instrument, selecting the right patch or you trigger that using whatever method the instrument has implemented (usually a modifier or key-switch)

For that the old Event View or nowadays PRV are much more efficient than Staff View.

in normal midi playback you'll get more close to a dead note using a note length of 1 or 0 rather than velocity=1, but it depends on the samples and configuration of the instrument really. Trial and error.

But I'll tweak that on PRV hands down, not on "notation"

dd

D.D.
    www.dedeland.com

SONAR Platinum 64bit
    SONAR X3e both 32bit and 64bit
    Alpha Track + TouchDaw
    ASUS Maximus Hero VII (Chipset Intel Z170 Express)
    Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.00 GHZ/RAM 16Go 
    RME Fireface UC
    Win 7 x64 ultimate French
    Sonar running in English
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1