Basic X3 Question on VST Plugins

Author
dirtracer25
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2018/02/13 18:36:06 (permalink)

Basic X3 Question on VST Plugins

I have Sonar X3 but only use it to run VST synth plugins, like Omnisphere, Dune 2, etc. I've never recorded anything using Sonar, and do not use audio tracks, and no other features of Sonar.

Now, I have a very basic question that I can't figure out. The Sonar documentation is way too complicated and not very helpful to me.

1.  I want to add in an effects plugin to my Omnisphere VST, like the plugin of Valhalla Shimmer. I think it should be simple, but can't figure out the steps?

2.  Then I'd like to process a hardware synth (say Roland JD-800) through Sonar and also apply the Valhalla Shimmer effects to this sound.  Guess I'd do this through an audio track?

Thanks for any help...

HP 

3 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Basic X3 Question on VST Plugins 2018/02/13 18:46:11 (permalink)
    In the track inspector for the VST instrument add the effect either in the effect BIN or using Pro Channel FX chain

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Basic X3 Question on VST Plugins 2018/02/13 18:59:21 (permalink)
    dirtracer25
    Guess I'd do this through an audio track?

All audio FX plug-ins are processed in audio tracks. That may not be apparent when using an instrument track. Keep in mind an instrument track is a special presentation of a MIDI track and an audio track. Instrument tracks present the input of the MIDI track and the output of the audio track (including the audio FX bin). Some features are hidden completely such as MIDI automation and track interleave. Others are visible only in the Track Inspector by using the Audio and MIDI tabs at the bottom of the inspector. The hidden features still exist but are only visible when the instrument track is split into the audio and MIDI tracks that make up the instrument track. The "Split Instrument Track" option is on the track context menu.

To add audio FX plug-ins, right-clicking in the FX bin to get the context menu or drag the plug-ins from the browser. Here are the instructions from tutorial 7 using the console view here are the instructions. The track view works the same way.

If the FX bin is not visible make sure the Track Control Manager drop down is set to All

dirtracer25
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Basic X3 Question on VST Plugins 2018/02/15 12:32:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info here.  Will try it out.  Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1