Pitch and Tempo Shifting After Recording Acoustic Guitars

Author
btormond
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2018/02/15 01:01:17 (permalink)

Pitch and Tempo Shifting After Recording Acoustic Guitars

After a Windows 10 "update" my Cakewalk icon for Platinum was a blank page with folded corner. I clicked to open it and I got a message, something to the effect, that I did not have an APP to open this. I went to Command Center and reloaded Platinum. After reboot I had the "real icon" but could not launch. I went to my back-up drive with, Platinum loaded, and could launch from that drive. I went back into Command Center did it again and all seemed well. On one day I recorded four simple audio acoustic guitar bed tracks for four songs. The next day two of the four played back at, at least 4 semi tones down in pitch and at a slower clock speed. After a reboot I got three out of four correct.......WTF??? Anyone else out there have had this same experience after a Windows 10 upgrade to "improve your experience"?? I thought by disabling Automatic Upgrades, after the fact, I could avoid this but it is still happening even though no updates have occurred. I do not seem to get tempo or pitch changes, so far, if MIDI data is included.
I have also noticed that many folks post system hardware information, which I understand can be useful in the debugging process, so I will also include mine. Many thanks in advance as I have learned so many things from this forum.....BTW, I did sign the petition for Microsoft to buy Cakewalk!!! At 65 years old I can proudly say I started with Cakewalk at Profession 1.0 for Windows 3.11!!
Software:
Cakewalk Platinum, full version with Life Time updates......stopped aparently.
Computer Info:
- ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i5-Haswell 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 84 Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- StarTech 3 Port 2b 1a PCI Express 1394 FireWire Adaptor Card (for my Presonus 24.4.2 FireWire mixer)
- 32GB Ram
- 1Tb SSD HD as primary drive
- 2Tb hard Drive (back-up)
- 3 Tb hard drive (Secondary Back-up)
Hardware:
- Presonus 24.4.2 Firewire mixer
- Roland FA-06
- Roland Integra-7
- Roland (2) JV-880
- BOSS DR-880
- EMU Proteus Orchestral Module
- Korg X-50
- Lots of guitars

3 Replies Related Threads

smusic.org
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Pitch and Tempo Shifting After Recording Acoustic Guitars 2018/02/15 19:34:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info btormond.  I'm a longtime user (but new forum person) too.  I have not had this issue but here is a suggestion which I hope has some value for you.

I think the most important thing is to determine if you're having a playback or recording issue as I'm not certain you played your tracks back after recording them but before the Windows update.  Go into your project files and try playing those audio files back in a regular media player.  Even better, copy them to another computer/device and play them.  Do they sound correct?  If they do then you could creating a new project and importing those tracks.  I recognize that, that does not mean it could not happen again.  I love your gear list.  Especially, "- Lots of guitars" !

Sonar 8.5 Producer
    Windows 7 ENT x64
    Echo Audio Layla 24/96
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Pitch and Tempo Shifting After Recording Acoustic Guitars 2018/02/15 23:14:43 (permalink)
    When an Audio file plays back in correctly this is usually because the sample rate has changed. This may have happened for a few reasons.
    1-W10 update has trashed your Audio driver for your interface so try re installing that first. 
    2- Your drivers are OK but somehow your settings have been changed. Go into preferences and check your driver settings are still correct. 
    3- Another audio device is interfering and changing your settings, Many find they need to disable other audio drivers to make their system stable. The HDMI one is an example.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

btormond
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Pitch and Tempo Shifting After Recording Acoustic Guitars 2018/02/16 13:53:04 (permalink)
    smusic.org & Johnny V,
    Thanks so much for your input on this and I will do some poking around using your suggestions! Actually, yesterday I purchased Presonus's Studio One 3 Professional as I have a Presonus 24.4.2 FireWire Digital mixer that I do enjoy very much. Still love Cakewalk though but wanted and alternative just in case.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1