The Waves Clownery

Author
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
2018/02/15 17:42:45 (permalink)

The Waves Clownery

More and more I understand that Waves is a clown plugin provider. Today I wanted to uninstall some Waves plugins on my studio PC. You know, they have this terrible monolithic installer program called "Waves Central". So first I opened this slow chaotic software to get rid of the plugins. But I couldn't find an uninstall feature, there was only the install! When I looked up on their site, I couldn't believe it! They say sincerely that there is only a way to uninstall all plugins at once. If you want to keep some, then you have to reinstall them afterwards??? Well, this can't be a professional plugin provider at all!

This combined with their terrible plugin shell solution, their awful licensing methods (unusable on any laptop) makes my decision absolutly clear: No more Waves plugins!

Their shell solution makes it utterly impossible to organize the plugins. For some programs this is a must when you have more than 20 plugins. Furthermore the shell makes plugin recognition needlessly slow. E.g. Samplitude has a great feature to scan only for new plugins (min. 10 times faster). But the Waves shell has to be scanned each time and steals your time, even if there are no new Waves plugins.

But I hate plugin installers anyway (independant whether it's a provider installer program or a Windows installer):
  • Very often they are very heavy, slow programs and bad designed (maybe made by a junior programmer).
  • Each time you use them there is a new version, i.e. first you have to wait for download and install of the new installer.
  • Most of the time it is not transparent where they do install their plugin DLLs (with or without Company folder?) or other contents (like presets), i.e. you have to check and copy afterwards. E.g. presets stored in the current user's document folder, so if you use an administrator user to install and use then a common user, you have no presets available.
  • Sometimes you can even not define that you do not want any 32-bit or AAX versions ...
  • Installing multiple plugins you have to select all the time the VST2 plugin folder.
So in the end i must admit that I like those simple packages in a zip with a readme file (like many free ones). IMHO this is the easiest and fastest way for installation. The update on my studio computer confirmed this obviously!

... many years before ...

22 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/15 17:51:31 (permalink)
    It depends who you are talking to.  I have 22 Waves plug-ins now and Waves Central for me has been excellent.  A totally smooth experience.  Not only that the plug-ins themselves are excellent. 

Waves Central takes its time doing its thing.  You have to be patient.  As soon as you boot it up it is checking for updates.  Look very top left.  I must admit there is not much letting you know this is going on.  You cannot do anything while this is going on either.  You need to wait for it to stop that part of the process.

The Easy Install mode is also the way to go as well.  That way it puts your licenses on your local machine correctly.  You can end up with a license being in the cloud by mistake and then you have to move it. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/15 18:41:36 (permalink)
    I like Waves new version of WC. The old one when I first got Waves plugins was a dud.

But even the new one leaves a lot to be desired. At least on Windows. I don't know how that stuff works on Macs.

I don't want 32 bit plugins installed. But there they are. In fact, all Waves Shells are located in the x86 Program folder. They need to fix that.

Also, you can install what you want, but you have to uninstall everything. Makes no sense. Gotta fix that too.

Not allowing me to decide where I want the installation to be. This is the biggie. Need to fix that soon.

But like Jeff says, they sound great. And I will not do without Abbey Road Plates. Ever!! : )

I have looked for a feature request form on their site but found none. Only a Contact Us form.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/15 21:49:03 (permalink)
    Waves Central works fine on Macs, at least as far as mine's concerned. Not particularly slow and hasn't caused any problems. Sometimes it takes as long as a minute or so to do something major, but that's only when there's an update or I add in a new plugin. Being able to delete individual plugins would be useful as a way to get rid of trial versions of plugs would be nice, but they don't get in the way and even a complete uninstall and re-install doesn't take that long. Longest part of the process is downloading the stuff. Licence handling is fast and smooth.

No options where it installs the various plugins or their formats, but on any unix-based system it's frequently a bad idea to install stuff in places other than where the OS and applications expects to find it. User account level security and permissions can get really confused (and confusing) otherwise. I could shift the plugins by using symbolic links but since all that would do is add an extra layer of complexity there's no point.

I don't think Waves install any 32 bit plugs on High Sierra Macs, but to be 100% certain I'd have to check each individual AU component, VST and VST3.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Jimbo21
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/15 22:25:35 (permalink)
    I have lots of Waves plugins. The waves central thing works fine for me. I am a sucker for those $29 deals and every month or so I have to deal with installing something. It's no big deal to me. YMMV

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/16 04:23:16 (permalink)
    Grem

But like Jeff says, they sound great. And I will not do without Abbey Road Plates. Ever!! : )

Just another 'gateway plug', for sure! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    raisindot
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/16 13:23:49 (permalink)
    I agree that the Waves Central thing leaves a lot to be desired. It's very confusing to try to figure out the whole "what's the cloud? What's local" thing. I do hate the idea of having to uninstall all plugins to get rid of one. 

The last time I installed the updated Waves Central program, all of my "local" licenses on my PC disappeared. I had to use the "reinstall licenses one time only" thing and that bugged me. 

But on Sonar at least it can organize the Waves plugins into its own folder, so I don't have to look for them on a huge list of plugins. 

As for the Waves plugsins themselves, I find some of them useful, and some okay. None of them are better than the UAD plugins I use, but, then again, the UAD solution is VERY expensive. 
    marled
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/16 18:47:58 (permalink)
    Hi guys, thanks for your comments and opinions!

I agree that the Waves deals are interesting and some of their plugins are, too. And although I addressed the "Waves Central" and installer programs a lot, for me this is not the crucial flaw of their stuff.
    What I really execrate is their exotic shell thing (I have not seen any other vendor using such a fancy thing), because it makes handling plugins intransparent and not least it slows down start+checking of plugins substantially, everybody can test this!

And the 2nd pain is their licensing that makes it cumbersome to work sometimes on another PC, I mean laptop. The only feasible way of Waves is to store the licenses on an USB stick, but having USB audio interface, iLok and mouse I do not like to have more USB stuff on my laptop. And as I use the mouse I avoid using the USB plugs on the right side of the laptop. So I have to use a hub even for the current setup. Another stick there could affect stability (I had this once with the audio interface, that's why it's got its own plug now).

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/16 19:38:42 (permalink)
    I agree parts of using Waves plug ins can be cumbersome. Once everything is lined up though it works like a charm. I have had more issues with another company that uses a shell type of experience to use their plug ins. Some are probably aware of who it is I speak of.......anyways enough of this clownery!!!!! ( I love that word BTW) 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/16 20:37:47 (permalink)
    I have not had any issues with Waves Central.  Their plug ins are excellent.  I am grabbing the $29 deals when its something I really need or want.  Life is good.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/17 10:05:41 (permalink)
    I have all the Waves plugins. I’ve had the occasional problem with Waves Central but generally as a product I’m still to find better. As for UAD being better because they are more expensive, it’s only been a recent decision by Waves to have continuing plugin specials. U til then I’d sa6 that the pricing of waves and UAD were pretty similar. I started with a UAD Quad Card but found it far too expensive for plugins.

I use waves along with the Digigrid system so I can offload fx processing to a DSP Server. An excellent Ethernet solution to using plugins and moving audio around.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/17 12:53:19 (permalink)
    If you hyphenate 'Waveshell' you gel Waves-hell...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/17 14:26:34 (permalink)
    "Doctor, Doctor, I was at the Cakewalk Forum and I got  hyphenated." "OK, drop your pants and say ah."

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Grem
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/17 15:18:45 (permalink)
    Why do we always end up with our pants down?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/19 21:44:30 (permalink)
    ...and turning our heads and coughing.

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/21 18:06:58 (permalink)
    The best part of the setup Waves has is this: Imagine your computer dies. Have your licenses on a usb drive? No problem. Download the shell on another computer, plug in the usb drive and you're good to go.
    The alternative is to hunt down every single company you bought plugs from, attempt to remember the login info you set up like 5 years ago. Get the serial numbers or the auth file or whatever for each and every plugin you own. Ouch.

Now off with ya...enough of this clownery :)

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Grem
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/21 18:22:50 (permalink)
    The Waves licenses deal had a bad rap in the beginning and Istayed away from them for a while. But I got one plugin and worked with it and ......well.... you know the rest of that story!

IT has it's advantages for sure, no doubt. Still has some room for improvement.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/21 18:25:12 (permalink)
    The other plugins I have allow me to install and use on two or more machines. I have a DAW and a laptop and can work on either machine. With Waves I have to move licenses from the DAW to the laptop. I have some Waves plugins, but nothing I would use live and although I like their plugins they are generally at the bottom of my list because I have to move the licenses around.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

marled
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/21 22:14:01 (permalink)
    I am installing my plugins on the 2nd PC. And again I am fighting with those stupid installers (they cost me a lot of my lifetime). This time it is not the Waves one, but it is always the same, many of those programmers simply miss common sense.

A lot of those installers:
    • download the whole crap again when you want to install on a 2nd computer. They give you no opportunity to copy from the 1st computer (here is Cakewalk much better than others, because you can copy the downloaded files to the Command Center!).
    • must first update themselves (I wait, I wait, ...).
    • do not let you remove single components.
    • do not clearly define where they install the plugs and the resources (some things they even don't let you define).
    So boys don't tell me about this super cool Waves Central and other fairytales!

Starise
    The best part of the setup Waves has is this: Imagine your computer dies. Have your licenses on a usb drive? No problem. Download the shell on another computer, plug in the usb drive and you're good to go.
    The alternative is to hunt down every single company you bought plugs from, attempt to remember the login info you set up like 5 years ago. Get the serial numbers or the auth file or whatever for each and every plugin you own. Ouch.

No, the best part of the USB stick is, if you lose it, because you always have to carry it around. Or if it's not your computer that dies, but your USB stick!

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/21 22:33:51 (permalink)
    just installed waves platinum bundle on a brand new PC DAw build this last weekend..

the straight up installer would never load,
    so i did the 'off-line' installer, put it to USB, loaded that up, worked like a charm.
    downloaded the files, installed in about 10 minutes.

has been working perfectly,
    i've already trial-mastered an entire album using the plugs.

dig it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/22 13:16:58 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    just installed waves platinum bundle on a brand new PC DAw build this last weekend..

the straight up installer would never load,
    so i did the 'off-line' installer, put it to USB, loaded that up, worked like a charm.
    downloaded the files, installed in about 10 minutes.

has been working perfectly,
    i've already trial-mastered an entire album using the plugs.

dig it.

I always use the offline installer. Works every time.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/22 15:48:40 (permalink)
    yea,
    i just don't see a problem.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

raisindot
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: The Waves Clownery 2018/02/22 17:03:33 (permalink)
    Starise

Not sure this is true. On my Waves Central, you can only have the licenses in one place--either on your local computer on the "Waves Cloud"...not both. When I got a new computer, and reinstalled Waves, I couldn't authorize them because the licenses were still "installed" on the old computer. I had to drag the old computer out of storage, fire it up, "unauthorize the licenses" to transfer them to the Waves cloud, and only then could I download them to the new PC.

I also had a problem when a new version of Waves Central suddenly invalidated all of the "local" license on my new computer. I had to use the "once a year re-authorize licenses" option to get the licenses. I sure as hell hope this doesn't happen again, because I really don't want to have to get into a fight with the Waves people to get lost licenses back.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1