Helpful ReplyNew Thunderbolt PC Build - documenting the build Day 3

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/17 11:55:43 (permalink)
We were calling them bang and splat in the late 70s

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/17 12:14:03 (permalink)
BobF
We were calling them bang and splat in the late 70s

Big in the Unix world...Early 80s That I know of.  Still prevalent there.
!! executes the last command in many Unix shells.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/17 12:20:06 (permalink)
It seemed like a Unix thing. I first heard it after returning to the Computer Science department at a university. The 80s were PICK, DOS and Netware for me.
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/17 13:58:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/18 00:27:43
scook
It seemed like a Unix thing. I first heard it after returning to the Computer Science department at a university. The 80s were PICK, DOS and Netware for me.

My earliest memory of the terms is with the DEC PDP 11 around 78/79.  Could've been UNIX or CP/M ... details from that era are foggy

I just checked my first edition K&R and there is no mention of the terms, so it's safe to say they didn't gain popularity via 'C'.  I remember leaving the PDP world on the west coast, landing in a Honeywell DPS6 shop ... no UNIX, but 'bang' and 'splat' were common there too.

I have no recollection of 'shriek' ...

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark  (sorry, WIKI is easy)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Computers
In computing, the exclamation mark (sometimes called a "bang")[23] corresponds to ASCII character 33 (21 in hexadecimal). It is therefore found in Unicode at U+0021 ! exclamation mark. The inverted exclamation mark is found in ISO-8859-1, 9 and 15 at position 161 (A1HEX) and in Unicode at U+00A1 ¡ INVERTED exclamation mark.
The name given to "!" by programmers varies according to their background. In the UK the term pling was popular in the earlier days of computing, whilst in the United States the term shriek was used. It is claimed that these word usages were invented in the US and shriek is from Stanford or MIT; however, shriek for the ! sign is found in the Oxford English Dictionary dating from the 1860s.
Several computer languages use "!" for various meanings, most importantly for logical negation; e.g. A != B means "A is not equal to B", and !A means "the logical negation of A" (also called "not A"). In the UK, BBC BASIC used pling as an indirection operator, equivalent to PEEK and POKE of four bytes at once.[24]
BCPL, the precursor of C, used "!" for pointer and array indirection: "!P" was equivalent to C's "*P" and "P!3" is equivalent to "P[3]" in C.
Plings are also used in Acorn RISC OS to denote an application directory: a folder that when double clicked executes a program file inside called !Run. Other files in the appfolder generally contain resources the application needs to run. The appfolder can be viewed as a normal folder by double-clicking with the shift key held down. In addition, other special resource files such as !Boot (executed the first time the application containing it comes into view of the filer), !Sprites (an icon file containing icon definitions loaded if !Boot cannot be found) and !Help (a text, HTML or other executable file listed in the filer menu for the application) also start with a pling.
Early e-mail systems also used the exclamation mark as a separator character between hostnames for routing information, usually referred to as "bang path" notation.
In the IRC protocol, a user's nickname and ident are separated by an exclamation mark in the hostmask assigned to him or her by the server.
In the Geek Code version 3, "!" is used before a letter to denote that the geek refuses to participate in the topic at hand. In some cases, it has an alternate meaning, such as G! denoting a geek of no qualifications, !d denoting not wearing any clothes, P! denoting not being allowed to use Perl, and so on. They all share some negative connotations however.
When computer programs display messages that alert the user, an exclamation mark may be shown alongside it to indicate that the message is important and should be read. This often happens when an error is made, or to obtain user consent for hazardous operations such as deleting data.
In UNIX scripting (typically for UNIX shell or Perl), "!" is usually used after a "#" in the first line of a script, the interpreter directive, to tell the OS what program to use to run the script. The "#!" is usually called a "hash-bang" or shebang. A similar convention for PostScript files calls for the first line to begin with "%!", called "percent-bang".[25]
An exclamation mark starts history expansions in many Unix shells such as bash and tcsh where !! executes the previous command and !* refers to all of the arguments from the previous command.
In the ML programming language (including Standard ML and OCaml), "!" is the operator to get the value out of a "reference" data structure.
In the Haskell programming language, "!" is used to express strictness.
In the Scheme and Ruby programming languages, "!" is conventionally the suffix for functions and special forms that mutate their input.
In the Swift programming language, a type followed by "!" denotes an "implicitly unwrapped optional", an option type where the compiler does not enforce safe unwrapping. The "!" operator "force unwraps" an option type, causing an error if it is nil.
In the Perl 6 programming language, the "!" twigil is used to access private attributes or methods in a class (like class Person { has $!name; } or self!private-method;).[26]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/18 00:33:42 (permalink)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
interpolated
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/04/19 22:56:13 (permalink)
I changed my PC case recently although I plan to add a couple more changes, a new GPU - a Nvidia 1050Ti 4GB Fanless and double my RAM to 16GB. What can I say, I have little needs.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/09 14:05:26 (permalink)

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/10 02:44:30 (permalink)
About the case used in the build, you did here....
I see under the motherboard , under the cpu is closed back on the other side, no opening behind the cpu back plate, right side of case. looking from front view head on.....

As I build my systems, I try to get a case with a opened cpu backplate space, with lots of space to allow more air flow behind the cpu , so the cpu plate can vent heat away from the back of the board into some free space, and lots of hidden wire space on that right side, for wire management..

I used AZZA full towers from NCIX.. Solano name brand was cheap and lots of space, had the opening behind the cpu...lots of space for wiring on right side...I believe Newegg also now carries this line?

very good amount of large fans included.
lots of screws and thumb nuts...as extra bonus.
Side fan on build side, left side, could be removed/reversed/ if so needing.. to allow for larger heat sinks...if needing to move that side fan to the out side of the case.
Water cooling theses days, you can leave the side fan where it is....lol.

And Windows with Thunderbolt...for me, was ok for a while.
Lots of issues thought....as you say, you had with apps and plugs not working proper.

All that and more would not say, it was flawless..or is going to be a continued truth...if using win os....2 allen and heath r16s 32 in/out anolog desks...Thunderbolt was the only way as option with OS or PC..band width and track count for some is important.

But that is my grip and story build's nightmares with only 8 in/out because OS could not handle 32?...Not with you yet?.

Let us wait a few updates then, then say what cooked up a issue or two?...Mouse was a issue?...that is a issue...that should not be a issue!
And onboard sound cards...issues?..yep, so they put it on the video cards also?...issues also with here to needs to turn off!
And still we got issues here...I had working, then not....

Well the third hand of MS auto updates, decided to over rule my settings...to toast things up, and burn the edges of...

Yeh...once one gets the machine to spec...if so for music production , and or video also..and what ever arts one does.
TURN OFF THE NIC CARD/internet!!!!!!!....So that Third hand, or the fourth one growing out of it's head, no one talks about gets cut off!...and things are in the users control of settings from then onward!

A second pc to do the internet...might be prudent!

Cheers....surely laughing together, is we try new things to make things better!...but opposite occur in time!

post edited by Sir Les - 2017/05/10 03:34:26

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Sir Les
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/10 04:34:20 (permalink)
Some tools one might not think are necessary...and other things to note of...Building.

Screw driver
Small drill press.
Soldering Iron, flux and cleaning pads.
Sheet Aluminum for making design changes in builds, or ssd holders.
Screws, ties for wires, and or plastics of all kinds...Keep the take out plastic bowls and such.(recycle Make Earth Beautifully cleaner looking without too much bad bang bang )...lol
razor knife to cut plastics/materials, and other if needs be a neck of vodo?.
tubes and lights with led.
Electrical breadboard for testing other building techniques...or building add on projects.

and then CNC machine, to make your own designs...and workshop to build more things to make things better?...they could not imagine themselves.

But make good or better, all you put your hearts into..for the greater good of all life and all living things be yee well,...and I will be fare to say?..."So says we all will pay"....But freely given, is freely shared, freely given, freely recieved..makes friends be good to each other, in all ways being of mind for others not liken you...Living......The Idea that was first intending to make it proper....Murphy Must stop making it not proper.

Make it safe..make it fine...the best of best is best to put into the initial intent...is it needed?.

What brings in Murphy...?
Mystery?...unseen hands?...usually said spirit of Jinn...is tied to greed!...Be fare! be Good...Intent onto all life..is life with no cost done for....It is given life all life...be mindful some know more than we who now build , is for the greater good of the future now to respect if one is to come....for all life is life of living things here....Respect is a principle to be kind or sharing that estate with others...We do not know , want to help us...Learn Life, in life we have to respect Life....intent on what we build with our hands.....Certain we can build...We come from a builder of life...So attributes are in us..........To solve for ...all issues....Giving because it is needed to be...or made to be....is always for the greater good of all....not self.

So along with this ideal...all live.

Is it more if we respect them ...they respect us ...and their frustrations be considered?....How far up in life does the human be on a ladder of values towards it's usefulness in Life?...if we disrespect the living to make dead be life of any kind?...through building...if that life we kill, is necessary to keep alive and well tending in heart by our hands doing any building first?...""IS IT SAFE FOR OTHER THINGS LIVING""...OR THAT WHICH NEEDS ALL LIFE....For Life...Is it Water?...Is it Air?....Is it food?....Do not taint this....if it be in mind flesh needs to live only in.

Spirit....Live also by...Our making things Properly...so no one gets hurt..and no life is harmed..Is peace with nature made through the heart to gain "Care taken if Care first given?...Spirit of Good Intent onto others is given back, when you given them that care put over all ....Grace of Peace, to make it True, in health, is in part necessary for to have it given back, all life has a part needed, to return same givens back..is the yin of yang to that resolve...it has to be of Good intent first though out what is the need?....Good for all life is good care takers  made first of self of life..before life cares for the care taker!

That tool is in the heart that controls the arrow of peace compass towards, health being necessary, and food already made for life given also, and happiness for all times, with many living things to tame under good done onto, returns some of also onto the one giving it...shown we care about Life!...no machine has, or ever will be able to feel reality as in biological states, is feeling the pains of..What has been made in errors for cost to be put onto life itself..By someone who did not believe in Yin of yang, nor good health over all is necessary...So pollution could fuel more gain in wealth, yet does not gain health!..and pollutes the whole for that gain.....knowing it is being violated here a Principle fore told would come a day of reasoning.....Climate change?..and weapons made to kill or cause harm onto the whole for selfishness is made via...Not shared or given Life to be Life given anything necessary for life to be ....IN Health or care over put properly for Life to be with us, in terms of the whole...We divide out selves from...Not caring about life, but only to make cost in gains for doing or acting...making things that pollute to cause ill health.......Opposites, and oddly enough what we put forth onto life, if it be true it is living at all?...in disrespecting Principles of Life......We suffer to see our returns not having Good life be with all!...If a Doctor is sticking the children when born into this place now made too much things...Not adhering to Principles of life, thinking we can just make, and take such liberties without worry, or consulting the Ask first method of reason?

So Energy is what we put forth in terms of + or -..outwardly onto life...Dependant on the returns..or violations made by choice...to upset balance..But is never debased towards detrimental outcomes of...debased folly...is under scored by a line not to cross!...RULES.

Notes, Truth is always Positive to a core of Atomic nature.

So is Negative in certain atmospheres of Gas...and Elements over put...To keep something tied and bound.
Nucleus.

So as we please, is not always good to build, if it creates a detrimental Mind, or estates of this place..we are all on.

So the mind, is tied to a spirit of Good will put forth...It has to be good or better...better to not harm the whole...so future comes better for all life....Is key to successes with proper intent put into Tends well, and attends life with respect gained..

Remember to be as the Lord said....Love thin neighbour as thine self.

Would you charge you to life as you higher price and tax and to give is to receive.....If he gives you ;life....why if it is given ...does one change the ideal idea?.

He does not change.

It is atomic in nature.

Atom is all life, and all of all is Atom tied to life that is good onto itself, onto all life is it given...what rises above it, is the care put over it, is returned....it depends of our actions and our doings onto life...we must be mindful of the others...and the other side now!....Positron is next....how one moves and acts upon, gains same in returns....yin yang...Before we make...we ask the heart tied to principles of Elements...is it good for all life first before making!

Cheers!

post edited by Sir Les - 2017/05/10 07:09:35

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Starise
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/10 18:14:06 (permalink)
Sir Les condense please! This almost looks like automated spam. If English isn't your first language please use a decent translator, Peace.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

interpolated
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/10 18:23:27 (permalink)
I kind of lost the point of it.

I have computer stuff.

Starise
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/12 14:06:18 (permalink)
I hate to say it. I think we have someone here with a dual sign on who likes to stir things up. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.

Twitter @Rodein

interpolated
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/12 14:08:42 (permalink)
So does cakewalk.

I have computer stuff.

Sir Les
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/14 18:59:35 (permalink)
Starise
I hate to say it. I think we have someone here with a dual sign on who likes to stir things up. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.

The heart of hearts....Love of life, is love of living things in harmony...who is not taming them..is surely shaming themselves.

Blow up the Earth , and care not for those with eyes to see, some care not of the other living things,..with weapons of mass destructions made, and tested beyond measure upon to cause a fire unseen burning in ...Other living things hating those who make these things be polluting much...and no care or ethic, they also feel, and they also live...if so we are on the right side or the left side...((what is insanity?))...and their value?...only he knows the value of life...is Love for it.

And those who only care for Money and things be made more for it...only show the garbage piles of shame as a test of mint...plus look at all the dead made of themselves, killing themselves, and making more dead via.....Stir that into the equation please, and ask the function of F doing it...is it good to do?.

Sir Les
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/15 12:45:57 (permalink)
interpolated
I kind of lost the point of it.

Thanks for reading in....here in the end of the post, you claim no point was gained via doing, ..the reading of:

ask the heart tied to principles of Elements...is it good for all life first before making!

That is the point...and no lies, or cost put...makes it given onto all living a good thing made.

Use it well...truth, and it will come to be in the flesh of many making good be , and very good be again said was...is again given the necessities of life freely to all, and in all, all prosper life tending well!

Starise
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/15 13:00:40 (permalink)
Thanks for setting everything straight Sir Les 

Twitter @Rodein

interpolated
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2017/05/15 16:57:04 (permalink)
Ok

I have computer stuff.

CBJ
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2018/02/23 18:23:28 (permalink)
Hey Sir Les don't you have to go to the bathroom?

Hum! Maybe a vacation is in order!

I sure hope so!

Sir Les
Re: New Thunderbolt PC Build - FINAL 2018/03/01 21:53:47 (permalink)
CBJ
Hey Sir Les don't you have to go to the bathroom?

Hum! Maybe a vacation is in order!

I sure hope so!

When I post...I am on vacation...but when I pre Ponder what is irradiated before, and after...taking flight to see the blue waters and prestin beaches, I'm told the fishing is now needing licence, for a fee, or a fine is issued if caught in a drag net for trappings.

And one said native, do not eat the fish...Fuka has polluted the Pacific...oh toshiba...what a Jap pan is cooking up now..beached on the sands...no room for my foot.

Perhaps...all people should take one...just to see, the birds falling down in numbers, and no nets or traps...sure makes me wonder...

Perhaps too caught up in works be you...not seeing the smog over the cities...beep beep....back at yah!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1