Helpful ReplyI've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back.

Author
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
2018/01/25 15:02:11 (permalink)

I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back.

So, even tho I'm one of the people that believes that sonar will contine to work for quite some time, I made some major purchases around the holidays. 
Some research showed that the new Series III StudioLive mixers are designed to be tightly integrated control surfaces for Studio 1.  These digital mixers are usb 3 interfaces and control surfaces all in one unit.  I ordered one and took the crossgrade offer.

The unit is very well designed. I've never been able to do so much mixing without touching the mouse.

The software is good (studio 1) but it is not as feature-rich as sonar.  It does ARA just as well as sonar, but the settings dont go as deep, and visually, it's "muddy".  The track view in Sonar combined with the multidock is extremely well implemented.

The one thing studio one does better than sonar is time and pitch stretching.  Sonar has always been a little behind the curve in this area (even if they made some ground in recent years).

If i had my way, i'd be using sonar with this StudioLive series III.  Instead of the FAT channel, it'd be the pro channel.

I've always been willing to pay top dollar to buy a control surface that could handle most DAW parameters.  I owned the Mackie MCU and C4, but these never were well or fully implemented (at least in sonar).  I want plugin control.  I want to neglect my mouse.   I want the flexibility of digital, with the feel and workflow of analog.

So, I've been cheating.  The Presonus hardware (series III) is amazing, but  I miss my sonar software.  I'm discovering more and more things that were easy in Sonar that are needlessly complicated or hidden in Studio 1.  

I still hope that Sonar is bought by another company.  It makes no sense for it to die.  None.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 03:21:41 (permalink)
Don't worry, she's not going anywhere...

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 03:35:28 (permalink)
michael diemer

..and hasn't for some time.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 05:28:40 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
michael diemer

..and hasn't for some time.

and wont be ever again!!!

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 07:15:29 (permalink)
Yep. Cubase 9.5 Pro leaves me more than a bit cold... 

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 10:45:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jacksop 2018/01/26 16:36:55
Sounds like a sweet combination! Presonus is on a roll with this kind of thing and I suspect they will continue to be a force to be reckoned with as the software evolves. I tried S1P in December when evaluating possible DAWs to transition to and was generally impressed with its snappy, logical layout and some unique and cool features. I also spent some time with Samplitude, and briefly tried Mixcraft and Waveform as well but they didn't click for various reasons.

However the 'cheating' that quickly became serious for me was with Reaper. I know it's not everybody's cup of DAW but for me it just felt like the clear path... And now I am finding more and more that I don't even need to fire Sonar up. I'm more excited to work in Reaper and discover it's many hidden secrets. Shameful, I know, no loyalty at all, but I mean... Sonar quit me first, right?

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
z1812
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 294
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/26 23:36:57 (permalink)
BlixYZ
So, even tho I'm one of the people that believes that sonar will contine to work for quite some time, I made some major purchases around the holidays. 
Some research showed that the new Series III StudioLive mixers are designed to be tightly integrated control surfaces for Studio 1.  These digital mixers are usb 3 interfaces and control surfaces all in one unit.  I ordered one and took the crossgrade offer.

The unit is very well designed. I've never been able to do so much mixing without touching the mouse.

The software is good (studio 1) but it is not as feature-rich as sonar.  It does ARA just as well as sonar, but the settings dont go as deep, and visually, it's "muddy".  The track view in Sonar combined with the multidock is extremely well implemented.

The one thing studio one does better than sonar is time and pitch stretching.  Sonar has always been a little behind the curve in this area (even if they made some ground in recent years).

If i had my way, i'd be using sonar with this StudioLive series III.  Instead of the FAT channel, it'd be the pro channel.

I've always been willing to pay top dollar to buy a control surface that could handle most DAW parameters.  I owned the Mackie MCU and C4, but these never were well or fully implemented (at least in sonar).  I want plugin control.  I want to neglect my mouse.   I want the flexibility of digital, with the feel and workflow of analog.

So, I've been cheating.  The Presonus hardware (series III) is amazing, but  I miss my sonar software.  I'm discovering more and more things that were easy in Sonar that are needlessly complicated or hidden in Studio 1.  

I still hope that Sonar is bought by another company.  It makes no sense for it to die.  None.

I too bought Studio One 3 and I can't say I am happy with it. I have started using it but with an eye to the future. For now I find Sonar more than reasonable for the work I wish to do. Studio 1 just does not seem very intuitive to me. Many others like it and I am glad they have found a DAW they like.

I am on the brink of also trying Mixcraft 8. 
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 01:43:02 (permalink)
I've been using 2 studiolive boards as well as an audio box 1818 vsl with Sonar for many years. It doesn't give me the hands on hardware you're looking for but it has served me well...

I have also had S1 just as long. It's a very good DAW with some things Sonar doesn't have (such as the mastering setup) but it's unimportant to me as I use CDArchitecht for my disk creation...

Presonus did great with a first release (and updates) and maybe in another 10-20 years they will catch up to where Sonar is. But they have now dropped vsl for their hardware because OSX 11 will no longer support it. As a windows user (who also has a Mac), that changed my ability to trust them.

As long as I don't update their driver, I still have vsl which is a major item for me... zero latency multiple monitor mixing even with the audio box is necessary for me as I don't always have the studiolive hardware to do this.

Still hoping for some Sonar savior to come out of the darkness!

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 03:06:08 (permalink)
Keni
As long as I don't update their driver, I still have vsl which is a major item for me... zero latency multiple monitor mixing even with the audio box is necessary for me as I don't always have the studiolive hardware to do this.

Still hoping for some Sonar savior to come out of the darkness!

Those VSL drivers stopped me cold when I was looking for an interface with built-in reverb. I had to read up on just what VSL was and it left me feeling like I just had been to a sleazy used-car salesman. I went with a Motu and am glad I did.

I've gone over to Cubase since I'm mostly about midi, but I still use Sonar for some mixing duties and for tracking. The prochannel sounds good as always, and I'm used to multiple takes behaviors.

laudem Deo
RickAllen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 06:24:50 (permalink)
I first bought Sonar "Cakewalk" when it was called Cakewalk. I love the interface but just have to move on. For me it is S1, nothing fancy but seems pretty solid and fast. Still getting used to the console, really don't like the pan sliders. Don't care much for the track colors either, pretty neon.

On the plus side computer hasn't crashed once while using it, latency is non-existent with my Scarlett 2i2.

This could be the best thing that has happened to sonar. Hopefully any new owner would clean up the core, but don't mess with the interface. It was far ahead of the others for sure.
RickAllen
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 06:26:40 (permalink)
BTW, Anderton is posting articles on the Studio One site.

fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 12:03:28 (permalink)
Did I not read Presonus  will release Update for MCU  and C4 giving full control of presonus and plugins???
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 14:47:27 (permalink)
Keni
Presonus did great with a first release (and updates) and maybe in another 10-20 years they will catch up to where Sonar is. But they have now dropped vsl for their hardware because OSX 11 will no longer support it. As a windows user (who also has a Mac), that changed my ability to trust them.

??? Oh only 10-20 years? PMSL.

Dropped for OS-X but not Windows? Do you really think Presonus and the Illuminati were plotting against users? Obviously Apple withdrew programming libraries making it hard or impossible for Presonus to develop that simple. Stick with your old apple computer or use a Windows PC. Everybody knows "Old" hardware and software gets dumped all the time by Apple.

Perhaps you should look up how Roland/Cakewalk "dumped on" V-Studio 700" users. Not sure their problems got fixed...
CakeAlexSHere
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 14:49:19 (permalink)
RickAllen

Oh great I'm so pleased for him. His name does not get mentioned enough nowadays.. ;)
RickAllen
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 16:49:23 (permalink)
The topic is "I've been cheating on you". Just sayin'.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 17:21:38 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
RickAllen

Oh great I'm so pleased for him. His name does not get mentioned enough nowadays.. ;)

he's a journalist, what else would you expect? personally, i AM pleased for him, because his writing is interesting and practical and even if he's covering something obvious, there's always some new thing to take away - he covered sonar for years when noone else did

just a sec

rspagnuolo
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 18:25:06 (permalink)
Hi All-
I've started using Reaper - I actually bought personal, small business license for $60. Also, I'm pleased with the many video tutorials available on their site.
Also happy to hear that Anderton is active on the Studio One site.
All the best,
Ray

Ray (aka Oluon)
kellyg
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 18:41:06 (permalink)
So ... how about the folks who make Studio One buying the rights to Sonar for a song and combining the best features of each?

Kelly R. Gazzaway
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/27 19:20:36 (permalink)
Get a faderport 16 to go with the live mixer.  It has more features and isn't redundant for sure.  You can control 3rd partly plugs with it too.  Better zoom controls, track arming on the fly....lots of stuff.
Btw, I'm liking Studio One just fine and it's something new and different for me.  I'm guessing in a year or so, there will be major improvements (GUI?) that will making looking back at Sonar, less likely.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

CakeAlexSHere
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/28 10:04:10 (permalink)
pwalpwal
he's a journalist, what else would you expect? personally, i AM pleased for him, because his writing is interesting and practical and even if he's covering something obvious, there's always some new thing to take away - he covered sonar for years when noone else did

Yup and almost every single day somebody posts a similar comment to yourself. Praise him!

EDIT

BTW Craig Anderton so good he hijacks threads even when he doesn't post on them nowadays :)
post edited by CakeAlexSHere - 2018/01/28 11:23:30
yellowcake64
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/28 14:41:16 (permalink)
z1812 said: “I am on the brink of also trying Mixcraft 8.”

For me the news about Sonar has forced me to rethink how I do things and although this won’t be a common view here, I realised that Sonar is wwwwaaaaaayyyy too complex for my needs. I bought Platinum and I think I’ve probably used only 10% of its capability. What I’ve discovered in the weeks since the announcement is that what I needed was a comprehensive yet not over-complicated DAW with loads of plugins and synths bundled - and not something with a ton of stuff that I wouldn’t use. That was the case with Sonar and me - I kidded myself that I would use all of its ‘treasures’ one day, but the truth is I won’t. I really don’t need to.

I invested in the crossgrade offer with Mixcraft 8. You can see that it’s not as feature rich as Sonar but it’s absolutely fine and very capable. The bundled synths and effects are really very good and there’s absolutely loads of them - including Melodyne, iZotope mastering essentials, Bass Studio Devil and a really usable guitar sim. The same week I purchased Mixcraft I bought Hybrid plus EIGHT expansion packs on Plugin Boutique for £1 each. Absolutely tons of stuff at a laughable price. I also got VacuumPro x64 (free I think). Some great stuff at a bargain price.

I’m not writing this to disrespect Sonar in any way. The software is great and the support on this forum second to none. All DAWs, at their most basic, all do the same thing. It’s things like workflow, value for money, functionality, aesthetics and a load of other stuff that influences our decisions. Also I’m only a hobbyist - many of you guys pay your bills through your musical endeavours so I can totally understand the anxiety this could potentially cause.

Good to see a large proportion of you sticking with Sonar. I don’t think it’s going anywhere fast. For me however, the closure news gave me a much needed kick up the posteria. I’m really enjoying Mixcraft and it’s certainly revitalised my enthusiasm!

Dave

Yellowcake
Sonar Platinum; Core i7 4790K Quad core 16GB DDR 3 RAM; Windows 10 (64-bit); Tascam US-4x4 interface; Roland Juno D synth; KRK Rokit 6 monitors; V-Amp2; V-Amp Bass.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/01/28 15:44:57 (permalink)
Don't feel bad Yellowcake. I invested in Samplitude, Studio One, and Tracktion so far. Slowly investigating them now.
Samplitude I wanted and at the upgrade price with Spectral Layers Pro was easy. Tracktion I'm actually loving the idea of it. Studio One I'm looking at  the videos wrapping my head around it. Mixcraft probably would be fine for me too.
If I bit the bullet on it, it will be for the performance panel. Reminds me of Project5 which I loved. I can't justify Bitwig or Live10 for the price.  Enjoy your new DAW. I decided to expand my horizon and learn new Toys

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/02/25 14:55:27 (permalink)
Personally, i HAD to migrate, because my composition studio is in high traffic time, and I cannot rely on a platform with zero support.  I have to often purchase other software, that at times may or may or may not play nice.  I HAVE to have someone I can call. 
I went the avid route - because many of the other producers I work with also use it.  Its definitely been a learning curve.  My favorite thing about it is, it really sounds great, and Im able to produce very nice mixes with it.  Many people on forums claim it is not possible to have 1 daw platform sound different than the other, yet for some reason Im getting more depth and clarity than on other platforms.  Perhaps its the lack of easily available processing?  (I doubt it) without the pro channel involved?  Regardless, my ears are telling me that things sound more grandiose and clear, and my stereo imaging is much more intenional.

It is however SEVERELY and unnecesarily complicated, and completely behind the curve from a workflow point of view, having just released track templates with their most recent updates, something thats been around for almost a decade.  Midi sucks in PT in comparison.

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/02/25 15:17:32 (permalink)
I'm happy with my newly purchased DAW Studio One is a joy to work in. I love the outlay and can only see it getting better. Easier to mix in too. It just sounds punchy sharp with a smoothness that is underrated.

I recently purchased some Sony headphones and I must say they sound amazing. They have a tin type open sound with room and clarity then the bass rolls of nicely giving it an old time 70's 80,s speaker feel. Amazing quality.

Funny enough Studio One has that same sound which I love and gives me a mix to aim for.

Sonar has some great things like sound on sound. It is a small feature but an amazing one. Sonar is a leader in many areas of productivity and I'm sure it will continue to be. 

I am happy that I have two really, really good DAWS and I eagerly await the new named DAW with new code implemented, faster, leaner Sonar by Bandlab.

If Sonar could open it's authorisation to other platforms so I can use all the goodies that are in Sonar in Studio One 3 I would be very, very happy.

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
xiwix
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: I've been cheating on you, baby. And I want you back. 2018/02/25 17:04:51 (permalink)
I gave Ableton Live a 30 day demo spin when it was on sale for the ver 10 release and I liked it for being really different and figuring it out wasn't so traumatic but I didn't like it $350 much.

I'm going to try Reaper next and now we know there will be some new visioning of Sonar so that will be something else to try.  If they keep the old Sonar accessible I'm willing to go the polyamorous route and see where it leads.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1