**SOLVED- Sort of -**Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2018/03/13 14:50:08 (permalink)

**SOLVED- Sort of -**Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6

My main interface is installed a rack case for an on-site recording Thursday.  I have a Karaoke singer session today so I thought I'd use my backup unit, a Scarlett 6i6.  But, I needed three inputs.  I ran the two (stereo) karaoke tracks to the two analog mic/instrument front panel inputs and a mic, via a ISA One preamp, to channel 3 on the rear.  I find there is no way to control the rear channels 3 to 6 in the Focusrite control program.  And, the only way to hear the mic on channel 3 is to enable echo in Sonar.  I had to hook up my main unit so I can do the session today (and probably tomorrow). 

The 6i6 is for sale. PM me

post edited by fireberd - 2018/03/16 20:04:11

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

14 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/13 15:54:11 (permalink)
    Does it use the same MixControl software as other Focusrite products? I don't have the 6i6, but do use its sibling (Saffire Pro 40), and the MixControl application supports pretty flexible routing, including direct monitoring of all channels. It is, however, rather obtuse in its UI, and it presents different features for different hardware (e.g. not all units support loopback). 

I run multiple keyboards through its back-panel line inputs, all of which automagically get mixed into the unit's "Mix1" and "Mix2" busses. Have you tried the "Low Latency Monitoring" routing preset?

Here's a MixControl tutorial that doesn't directly address your challenge, but does clearly show the voiceover coming in on channel 3.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/13 16:28:01 (permalink)
    Different control.  I used to have a Saffire Pro 40 but the 6i6 has a very basic/limited control.  Although it has 6 inputs, it only shows and has controls for the two mic/line preamp inputs.  The others are "line" in and there is nothing in the control program for them.  I even updated to the latest control program but nothing new.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/14 13:55:59 (permalink)
    I'm marking this solved.  I decided to put the 6i6 up for sale.  PM me if someone is interested. 

I'll get one with at least 4 mic/instrument preamps.  That should suffice for a backup unit.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/14 17:43:53 (permalink)
    Your using the 6i6 a little bit different than what I would be doing.
    I have never had to use Mix control for anything other than setting my buffers and toggling the line/instrument settings. 

First the rear 3/4 inputs are for line level so this is where the backing tracks would go.
    Because they are line level they are not a problem for 90% of the things you would interface, like a synth, drum machine, DI or even a mike pre amp.
    Reason is these devices all have there own level control so this is where you set the input level. There's no need for a second level control and this is standard for most interfaces as far as rear line inputs go. 

I have mine set for the input #3 receive signal from my Joe Meek pre amp and the #4 from my Radial Tone Bone acoustic guitar pre amp. I set Sonars record level by adjusting the output levels of those devices. 
    The #1 input I use for other mikes, like my snare or guitar amp. The #2 is an XLR send from my Bass amp built in DI. 

I don't do large sessions any more but I also have the option of using the SPDIF 5/6 inputs via my Yamaha 01V. 

If I record my band I use my Tascam which has more inputs. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/14 18:13:39 (permalink)
    I can had the level up, that's no problem as I was feeding it from an ISA One preamp.  But, to hear it I had to enable echo on that track, no direct monitoring of those inputs.  

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Cactus Music
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/14 18:31:50 (permalink)
    I'll have to test that as I don't use the Scarlet's headphone system I use a small mixer. 
    Both the Joe Meek and the Tone bone have extra outputs so those run to the mixer. The Guitar and bass amp I hear plenty loud enough from the amps. I do use a second mike on the amp to the mixer sometimes. 
    I run the 3/4 output of the 6i6 to the mixer and I can dial in any cue mix this way. I also have a Lexicon effects unit on the loop of the mixer from the days of recording other people. I prefer dry.  

I found this set up is faster to dial in any balance. I think the Mix Control would do all this but I gave up after an hour the day I first hooked it up and have never returned to that idea. 
    I would imagine your not hearing 3/4 using direct monitoring is 100% a Mix Control issue. 

As I understand it you can set up 4 different cue mixes with mix control, all would be direct monitoring. 
    If I was recording clients still I guess I would have had to figure it out. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/15 10:20:26 (permalink)
    I tried the different options in the Focusrite control program and none enabled direct monitoring for the 3 to 6 inputs. 
    The control program lacks quite a bit compared to the control program that I had with a Saffire Pro 40.  

Its my fault for buying something I can't use, at least the way I want to use it.  It has "6" inputs but........    I have it boxed up in the original Focusrite box and have it advertised for sale on another forum.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Cactus Music
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/15 16:05:41 (permalink)
    Certainly a wise choice as myself I have no use for gear that doesn't work for me. 
    I took back 2 Voice harmonizers before settling on the Voice live acoustic for that very reasons. 
    I guess I'm just a grumpy old fart but if gear needs me to read a manual more than once it's down the road. And the Scarlett mix control qualifies as such. I will not be buying another Focusrite interface. I have actually gone back to using my Tascam us1641 right now on my main DAW and the 6i6 is teamed up with my Laptop. 

My Tascam has the Computer/Input mix control right on the front panel so does not suffer the need for a GUI mixer. I like hardware control of my gear as it's bad enough needing 2 monitors just for Sonar. Needing a 3rd just to have a mixer is stupid.  So my little Mackie mixer solved the problem of mix control for me. I have real knobs that I 100% understand what happens when you turn them and they are right there inches from my finger tips at all times.
    And I can swap out my 2 interfaces with no difference to how Sonar see's things other than input 3/4 become 11/12 with the Tascam. My monitoring doesn't change. 
    And not only that... There is way more headroom so therefore a cleaner sound overall... It can be LOUD if you need it to be. Interface headphone pre amps are wimpy at best. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/15 22:44:03 (permalink)
    I have my MOTU 896 Mk3 Hybrid that is my "normal" interface unit.  The 6i6 was bought for a backup.  I had my MOTU and 8 channel headphone distribution amp in a rack case for an "on site" recording session (completed this afternoon) and I had need for interface for a Karaoke singer session.  So, I thought I would use the 6i6 since the MOTU was cased but it didn't work out and I had to open the rack case and reconnect the MOTU for the sessions Tuesday and Wednesday.  It's been feast or famine in my home studio.  "Feast this week and next" (I have more Karaoke sessions next week) and then probably back to "famine".

I requested my registration be deactivated at Focusrite and they did that so that the new owner can register it and get all the free software including Ableton Live and a intro version of Pro Tools.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Cactus Music
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/16 16:40:46 (permalink)
    Yes it's nice to have 2 systems. one studio and one for mobile. As I just said I swapped duty and now use my Tascam for the studio and the Scarlett for mobile.   Reason is I am at this point not recording any bands. I've set up my laptop and once I put my parts down it will go to my partners house so he can record his parts, Banjo, vocals and a 12 string. He's retired so has lot's of time on his hands and will be good distraction for him learning how to record with a DAW. 
    Curt is an amazing banjo player but we are both getting on and we need to document these old songs before we fade away :)  We have over 60 songs we will record. 

Are you going to look for a second interface? Possibly the Tascam 4x4?  I like the looks of it. 
    http://tascam.com/product/us-4x4/specifications/

As you can see all 4 channels can be used for either, mike line or instrument. And it has the mix control on the front panel. 2x headphone out as well. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/16 20:01:05 (permalink)
    That is one choice but I'm "gun shy" about Tascam.  I tried an 8 channel unit and the headphone out had low level hum in it (it was in the Tascam unit as I didn't get any headphone hum with any other unit). But for a backup unit that may never be used it may be OK.

Not sure what I'm going to get, but it will have at least 4 mic/instrument preamps.

I still need 8 channels for recording.  I did an "on site" recording yesterday of our Cowboy Church band (I'm one of them) plus two singers (the Pastor and another singer).  I had two channels for the drums, one for the Bass, one for the lead guitar, one for my Pedal Steel Guitar, one for the Rhythm Guitar and two for singers.   I did a live recording of our regular band, at a show, about 6 months ago; it was two for drums, one for bass, one for lead, one for my steel, one for rhythm guitar and two mic's for singer and backup singer.   For the drums, I have one kick drum mic and I have a Ribbon that use as an "overhead" for the rest of the drums - works good for "country".

I probably got you and the friend beat.  I was 80 last December (and still going like I did when I was 60)......

Jack 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Cactus Music
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/17 04:39:57 (permalink)
    Ha Ha, Wow I didn't anybody here was older than me..( 65)  I think you get the prize for that Jack ! 
    But ya, we've been playing music together for over 30 years now. 
    It was like this Circus act I saw once, The young people were all called the AMAZING such an such , the old guy was called the LEGENDARY. 

My Tascam us1641 headphone output is wimpy but quiet. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/18 21:34:00 (permalink)
    Well, the 6i6 is gone. Sold to a guy in California.  Now to look for something else.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    fireberd
    Re: Using more than 2 inputs on Scarlett 6i6 2018/03/21 22:53:27 (permalink)
    Picked up a new Tascam 4X4.  Good enough for a "backup" unit that will mostly collect dust.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1