Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece)

Author
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
2018/03/18 02:06:45 (permalink)

Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece)

Golden Palomino

Just a quick run-through of a new solo piece I wrote. Recorded on a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambiance electric acoustic straight to the board, so don't expect this to sound stellar or anything. I'll get around to recording it on my real classical guitar in the next couple of months probably.

27 Replies Related Threads

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/18 02:20:35 (permalink)
    A beautiful piece Wayfarer! I especially like the passage between 1:10 and 1:40. Awesome job!
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/18 15:55:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like some very smooth finger picking.  Lovely chord progression and performance.  I'd like to know what guitar and mic you used.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    dougk1824
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/18 18:54:49 (permalink)
    That was nice - I liked it.  You're a good guitar player - very cool.
    the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 317
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/18 19:25:20 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Golden Palomino

Just a quick run-through of a new solo piece I wrote. Recorded on a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambiance electric acoustic straight to the board, so don't expect this to sound stellar or anything. I'll get around to recording it on my real classical guitar in the next couple of months probably.

The guitar tone is much better than I expected and your performance and writing are both stellar! 

Glennbo
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://soundclick.com/glennbo

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/18 20:14:29 (permalink)
    Great composition and excellent playing.
    When I listen to someone like you who really knows how to play, that's when I wish I'd spent less time getting A's in high school and more time playing the guitar.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 01:46:00 (permalink)
    jeez that's just great. What a nice arrangement this composition has. Your playing is both technical and emotional - very good job there!

The central section doesn't quite resolve into the final reprise of the motif. Did I say that right? But I don't care, just a great piece. I gave it a number of listens and liked it each time a little more.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 14:08:50 (permalink)
    Beautiful little piece, played nicely.  Can't wait to hear the classical guitar recording.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 18:08:03 (permalink)
    One word ... "fantastic"
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 23:48:26 (permalink)

Lynn
    I'd like to know what guitar and mic you used.

I mentioned it in the second sentence Lynn. Maybe you thought I was talking about some kind of audio device or something, but Godin is a brand of guitar.
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 23:49:30 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    When I listen to someone like you who really knows how to play, that's when I wish I'd spent less time getting A's in high school and more time playing the guitar.

Ah, so that's where my A's went! 
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 23:55:16 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    The central section doesn't quite resolve into the final reprise of the motif.

cheers,
    -Tom

I won't even try to deny it. I think it must be my Irish blood clashing with my English blood. I kind of like the dichotomy.  But I may try to do something a little different there when I do the real recording.
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/19 23:55:40 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone else.

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/20 00:59:24 (permalink)
    WOW! Great playing and songwriting Man!

Enjoyed hearing this very much. I would like to ask, and the reason why is I have been teaching myself how to finger pick guitar. I wanted to ask, what are your feelings on using finger picks? I have never tried any, and was wondering if they might be more of a hindrance than help?  I'm a big John Denver fan and know a lot of his stuff, and I'm looking at learning some Jim Croce stuff also. I'm not a pro which you are obviously. So I thought I would ask? 

As of now, I just use my fingers to play the guitar and don't let my nails grow for picks and never will to be honest, LOL DANG that feels awkward for me to say, FINGERS ONLY, no NAILS! LOL! 

Either way man, I'm sorry to take up so much of your time with this long message. I really liked your playing and song, it is something I am working on trying to achieve myself and that is why I am asking. 

Great stuff!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/20 01:46:14 (permalink)
    Great playing and composition.  Keep it UP!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/20 11:59:33 (permalink)
    Bobby, once again a long and detailed post of mine (to you) has disappeared. I had a couple of YT links in it, so maybe that's why. The bottom line is, I've heard some guys sound good with finger-picks, both metal and plastic, and others sound lousy with them. A bunch of people are using those acrylic nails too like the ladies use. But there are also guys like Tommy Emmanuel who sound fine with short nails and nothing else. That works best for me too on steel strings. And my electric classical guitar sounds fine without nails. However, my real classical guitar guitar sounds very dull without nails. So it just kind of depends on the player and the guitar being used. I think most people would agree that nylon strings sound best with nails. It's nice to have a little bit of nail with steel strings too, but you don't need much. And if you're going to use finger-picks on steel strings, plastic usually sound better while metal picks sound best on banjo. There are always exceptions though. Chris Smither sounds great using metal finger-picks (and a metal thumb-pic as well) on steel strings. Somehow it works for him.

As to thumb-picks, most classical guys use their thumbnails while most of the steel string guys use a plastic thumb-pick. I wouldn't be without a thumb-pick whether I'm playing steel strings or nylon. I'd be totally lost without my thumb-pick. Heck, I even use it on bass! 
    post edited by Wayfarer - 2018/03/20 15:59:24
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/20 13:31:13 (permalink)
    Very very nice!

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/20 20:50:23 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Bobby, once again a long and detailed post of mine (to you) has disappeared. I had a couple of YT links in it, so maybe that's why. The bottom line is, I've heard some guys sound good with finger-picks, both metal and plastic, and others sound lousy with them. A bunch of people are using those acrylic nails too like the ladies use. But there are also guys like Tommy Emmanuel who sound fine with short nails and nothing else. That works best for me too on steel strings. And my electric classical guitar sounds fine without nails. However, my real classical guitar guitar sounds very dull without nails. So it just kind of depends on the player and the guitar being used. I think most people would agree that nylon strings sound best with nails. It's nice to have a little bit of nail with steel strings too, but you don't need much. And if you're going to use finger-picks on steel strings, plastic usually sound better while metal picks sound best on banjo. There are always exceptions though. Chris Smither sounds great using metal finger-picks (and a metal thumb-pic as well) on steel strings. Somehow it works for him.

As to thumb-picks, most classical guys use their thumbnails while most of the steel string guys use a plastic thumb-pick. I wouldn't be without a thumb-pick whether I'm playing steel strings or nylon. I'd be totally lost without my thumb-pick. Heck, I even use it on bass! 

Thank you for the information, I trust your opinion and that is why I asked. Lately I've been playing nothing but electric guitar and finger picking things, or trying to learn different songs and making my own also. I have a classical guitar, but the tuning keys on it need replacing, so I haven't been able to use it for a while, although that's an easy fix, right now I don't have the money to do so, but plan to do so in the near future. I like classical guitar music because you don't have to rely on other people to make the sounds that you can produce playing guitar that way. It's Piano on guitar I guess and it's really fun. JMO... 

Thank again for taking the time to explain that, and I know I can search the net and all that stuff, but it's obvious you know what your doing and sound great on your song and playing and that is why I asked. 

Thanks again!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/21 14:03:33 (permalink)
    Tom, thanks for listening!

Bob, StewMac sells some very nice Gotohs for classical guitar for only a little more than $20. I use them on my Yamaha. These are the ones I put on my guitar, and I promise they're as good as a $100 set.

http://www.stewmac.com/It..._Guitar_Tuners#details
    cwestmont
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/03/21 16:01:22 (permalink)
    Very nicely done.  Elevates the mind and soul, which is something I needed this morning!

My music:
    Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
    Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/03 19:18:12 (permalink)
    That was really nice...   loved it.   Since you said it earlier I think I can hear a bit of that Irish > English thing happening.   And maybe a bit of Steve Howe too.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 13:26:04 (permalink)

post edited by ABull - 2018/04/23 14:03:56
    garybrun
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 436
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 13:49:36 (permalink)
    I enjoyed that.
    thank you for taking the time.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Win 10 64 bit, English,
    Intel Core i7 4960X @ 3.67GHz, ASRock Motherboard, 48GB DDR3 1600MHz, Nvidea NVS 510, Intel 750 1.2 SSD, 488GB SSD, 300GB SSD, 22TB in SATA
    Hardware: VS-700 set ASIO, Presonus RM32ai, Studio Live III 32, Studiolive 32R,  RME Fireface 800, Matrox MX02 Rack, Roland Integra 7, Roland A-88, Edirol R-4 Pro, Focusrite Liquid Channel x 2, Jomeek Studio Channel VC1Qcs, Ultra Dyne 9024, TD30KV, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Monitors: Focal TRIO6 BE, JBL Studio Monitor 4412, SE Monroe Egg 150, Avantone x 2.
    ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 14:04:24 (permalink)
    This is fantastic -- wonderful playing and composition.  The recording sounds great.  I enjoyed this.
    Best,
    Allan
    ========================================================================
    Meet The Barnacles
    (not the Fab Four but the Terrible Three)

Captain Able was once again manning the bridge on the mightly Songship as it plowed through the putrid soundwaves on the roiling -- but never rocking -- Sea of Sterile Pastiche.  Suddenly, Able heard an all too familiar sound coming from the hull of the ship -- an irritating droning croaking whiny sound that cheapened the senses.  Able quickly covered his ears while shouting to his navigator "It's those damned Barnacles -- they're trying to sully and sink the Songship.  Full speed ahead!"

Down below, The Barnacles -- Blahpoop, Steryl69, and Synkophant -- were desperately attempting to cling to the Songship in order to sink the towering song vessel.  And, as usual, they were accompanied by their faithful floating beta consorts, The Attaboys, led by Dymm with assistance from EphYOU.

As The Barnacles attached their tentacles to the hull of the Songship, they unleashed  a torrent of (f)artless lyrics which were delivered in a tuneless -- although auto-tuned -- fashion.  These dirges, sung without style, were accompanied by tinker toy faux reggae sounds which were grounded by thumps.  The Attaboys circled and cooed encouragement in the murky waters surrounding the Songship.

Able called out for the crew to ready for battle.  Soon, the air on deck sparkled as the Songship's crew played melodic song after song in various styles and arrangements.  Tuneful vocals singing well-versed lyrics rang out with resonance and interesting phrasing.  There was no need for auto-tune and the like.  Confronted again with the Songship's lack of banality, The Barnacles were driven into a furor.  Their only was to increase the volume of their monkey-like screeching.  In the midst of this cacophony The Attaboys -- having been given strict orders through underwater sonar messaging -- fell silent.

Nearly overcome by the mediocrity assaulting his ears, Captain Able deftly guided the Songship away from the area where The Attaboys were floating.  He then ordered the crew to increase the melodic sounds emanating from the deck.  Overcome by contact with actual talent, The Barnacles could not sustain their attack and fell from the hull into the swirling soundwave abyss. The Attaboys, floating leaderless, continued to comment amongst themselves about The Barnacles' greatness, but to no avail.  The Barnacles lay quiet at the bottom of the Sea of Sterile Pastiche, brought down once again by their own banality.

The Songship continued gliding into fresher waters guided by the most able Captain Able as new sounds were carried by fresh breezes across the newly christened Sea of Good Songs.
    post edited by ABull - 2019/01/16 20:53:49
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 16:51:01 (permalink)
    lovely stuff - I downloaded it if that's cool?
    Going to add it to a chill mix tape (for my own listening pleasure only)

bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 17:18:00 (permalink)
    I very much enjoyed your new solo piece!

I understand about recording the classical guitar. I have a  Ignacio Rozas I would love to record with but can't seem to get the sound I want. The Rozas is the best instrument I've ever played on in my life.  I used an electric such as yours but like you hear the loss so I decided to wait till I can find the right place and time to do an acoustic classic guitar recording. I did Spanish Serenade with special mics and help. That was a Ramirez guitar. Here where I'm at now that would be much harder to do. I love classical guitar!
    Again, Loved your piece and thanks for posting it!
    post edited by bayoubill - 2018/04/23 17:43:40

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/23 18:55:03 (permalink)
    Wayfarer,

Fantastic piece.   Had a few listens through and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards
    Wayfarer
    Re: Golden Palomino (short acoustic guitar piece) 2018/04/24 14:54:39 (permalink)
    I'd be honored to have my tune on your mix tape Daryl!

Bill, my old Yamaha was patterned after a Ramirez 1A. It sounds great with any mic you throw at it. Unfortunately it really needs a neck reset because the front bout has gone inward a tad, bringing the action up and the saddle is already shaved down further than I would like. I'm doing some things to try to avoid a neck reset though. I think it will be good to go again by next week. I hope so anyway.

Thanks everybody for listening.

Billy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1