New Song - Nothing Real

Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
2018/03/18 16:22:23 (permalink)

New Song - Nothing Real

I almost always use real instruments for recording, including acoustic drums, but for kicks the other day I decided to write a song using no real instruments.

Being a drummer I decided to take it one more level and try using the drag-n-drop functionality of Superior Drummer to create the drums, so I didn't play the drums on this one, but simply arranged the drums from midi clips.

The song consists of nothing but one instance of Superior Drummer and one instance of Kontakt with 13 of the Factory Library sounds dialed up.

The song is titled "Nothing Real" because not one instrument on it is real.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13706459

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

9 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/19 01:53:46 (permalink)
    I like the stuff you have supporting the leads. Very thoughtful arranging of little pads and horn parts underneath, they do a good job of supporting the action. I think that's the toughest stuff to write, and you did a great job here on those.

Don't get me wrong, the lead stuff shows your talent as well, but as you say it's fresh from the can. You made it sound cohesive.

I listened to a few others on your soundclick site, and you really do have some writing and playing chops! Kind of prog jazz rock? Way cool!

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/19 16:03:06 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    I like the stuff you have supporting the leads. Very thoughtful arranging of little pads and horn parts underneath, they do a good job of supporting the action. I think that's the toughest stuff to write, and you did a great job here on those.

Don't get me wrong, the lead stuff shows your talent as well, but as you say it's fresh from the can. You made it sound cohesive.

I listened to a few others on your soundclick site, and you really do have some writing and playing chops! Kind of prog jazz rock? Way cool!

Thanks Tom.  Now that I've had the full version of Kontakt for a few months and gotten to know some of the sounds from the Factory Library, I decided to see what I could do using them almost exclusively.  I'm not that impressed with any of the drum sounds that come with Kontakt, but some of the other sounds I used in this song are really usable.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/19 23:16:23 (permalink)
    Well I thought it was very good, especially considering how it was put together. You're as good a writer as you are a musician Glen. Your songs always move and go places. I like doing that too.
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 00:03:31 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Well I thought it was very good, especially considering how it was put together. You're as good a writer as you are a musician Glen. Your songs always move and go places. I like doing that too.

Thanks Wayfarer.  The only real cut-n-paste stuff was the drums, but everything else was played and then heavily edited. It was kind of an experiment to see how much I could do using only sampled sound, and an approach that was very shoot from the hip and fix it later.

What I learned from all this is that I'll continue to use real acoustic drums, real bass, and real guitars, but some sampled things like strings, brass, or a virtual Jean-Luc-Ponty might be possible to add to the lineup of players.   :-)

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 00:12:07 (permalink)
    Send virtual Jean over to my place when you're done. Enigmatic Ocean is one of my favorite albums of all-time.
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 00:20:54 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Send virtual Jean over to my place when you're done. Enigmatic Ocean is one of my favorite albums of all-time.

I got to meet him and had him sign a CD for me. A musician friend of mine got backstage passes that included a meet-n-greet after the concert. I ask him if he liked playing with Zappa or John McLaughlin better. He gushed about getting to play with Zappa and said working with John McLaughlin was a lot of work, but still had fond memories from it.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 00:40:46 (permalink)
    As good as he is though, I like Steven Goodman and Allan Sloan both better. Speaking of Sloan, have you ever seen the video of the Dixie Dregs live at Montreux (1978)? Just incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6aGUgoN-Ik
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 00:58:34 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    As good as he is though, I like Steven Goodman and Allan Sloan both better. Speaking of Sloan, have you ever seen the video of the Dixie Dregs live at Montreux (1978)? Just incredible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6aGUgoN-Ik

I hadn't seen that video. Great performance!

I got to meet all those guys too after the theater they were playing cleared out.  Once everybody else had gone, Rod Morgenstein got back on his drums and wouldn't stop playing but for a moment at a time to answer questions. The rest of the band were real friendly and came out to talk to me an my musician friends who stuck around after the concert.

The best unplanned band meet up was when I got to go in Gentle Giant's touring vehicle and sit on the couch at the back between Derek Shulman and Kerry Minnear. The bass player who was with me was pissed off that I got to hang with them, but it was only because of my lack of fear to go bang on the door of their vehicle. When Ray Shulman opened the door and ask "WHAT DO YOU WANT?", I said I want to come in and hang out with you guys. He said OK and let me in.  :-)

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Song - Nothing Real 2018/03/20 02:00:58 (permalink)
    I've never met any of those guys, but I've always heard that just about everyone in the Dregs was very down to Earth. (Don't know anything about the guys in Gentle Giant.) Actually, I think the vast majority of jazz players in particular are very nice, smart, and well-mannered people, so your stories don't surprise me at all. Neat that you got to meet them!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1