AnsweredA problem with the volume in Kontakt

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Blogospherianman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 05:33:04 (permalink)
No biggie Kamikaze. It's all in the spirit of helping. (Nice screen print with colored text!! 👍) I personally have never used simple instrument tracks so I can't vouch for their reliability or functionallity for that matter except for just now playing around with it for help in this thread. I don't doubt that it normally works correctly. Could just be a freak event. Even so, I personally like the extra control of split tracks and the fact that it reminds me of the old school days of synth hardware when you actual had a midi track, then an audio track from that synth. When I'm gonna mix, everything is bounced or frozen and I hide the midi tracks to de-clutter.
Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 06:04:16 (permalink)
Vdorn, For fun, I created a Simple Instrument track to see what would become of CC7 data. For me it automatically used CC7 for the Kontakt volume slider, with 127 being 0db. Makes me wonder if you accidentally recorded a CC7 onto your Simple Instrument track. The way to check for that is to either double click the midi data in your simple instrument track OR click Views, Piano roll view... might have to click Tracks, pick tracks and select the track you wish to view. Check the CC7 Down at the bottom of your Piano roll view, you might have to zoom out to find a stray CC7 causing the volume issue. You can then delete all CC7 and the Kontakt slider will remain where you put it, OR delete all CC7 and then draw in the volume yiu wish to acheive at the beggining of the song. Just a thought.
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 14:23:20 (permalink)
Blogospherianman
Vdorn, For fun, I created a Simple Instrument track to see what would become of CC7 data. For me it automatically used CC7 for the Kontakt volume slider, with 127 being 0db. Makes me wonder if you accidentally recorded a CC7 onto your Simple Instrument track. The way to check for that is to either double click the midi data in your simple instrument track OR click Views, Piano roll view... might have to click Tracks, pick tracks and select the track you wish to view. Check the CC7 Down at the bottom of your Piano roll view, you might have to zoom out to find a stray CC7 causing the volume issue. You can then delete all CC7 and the Kontakt slider will remain where you put it, OR delete all CC7 and then draw in the volume yiu wish to acheive at the beggining of the song. Just a thought.

Ok, here is the continuation of the story.

At my very first post I mentioned, that I checked all controllers events in the Even view of the problem Trumpet track (including the hidden events), so I think it is completely equal to deleting of CC7 control in PRV.

But... I did it one more time and the story repeats. The volume is down to about minus 18 db any time I restart Sonar. I opened a new doubled track, copied the date there - the same story.

The only one thing that really worked, was setting the CC7 controller to about 127 near the first piece of the Trumpet playing. When I see the slider in Kontakt, it stays on minus 18 db, and then jumps to 0 db. Apropos, minus 6 db was definitely not enough, so I wonder whey they set it by default in Kontakt.

I didn't do it before, because I was scared that it will interfere with the Console volume. Now I understand that it is something different, so I will probably just do it any time I have the same problem...

As for now, I don't see any reason to open doubled tracks for Kontakt instruments, but I admit I could use for fututer, if it would become necessary.

Thanks to everybody, who took part in the discussion. Now I have one more problem changing of the articulation of the instrument inside of one track. I have read that the best way is to use keyswitches. Could anybody explain me in the very easy way how to do it? I just need a simple change of articulation in a certain moment of the song...

I will try not to edit this post, since it looks like the editing just erases it completely, and than comes the problem to post it again. Seems to be a bug of this forum...
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 15:01:02 (permalink)
First, do yourself a favor and stop using Instrument Tracks.

Users used to complain that other DAWs had this feature, and therefore SONAR should, too. So CW added it. However, Instrument tracks offer zero additional functionality beyond saving screen real estate (not I problem most of us needed a fix for, because we put MIDI and audio into separate track folders and collapse the ones we're not working on). What it does do is hide some useful features and confuse others.

Internally, you're always going to have separate tracks for MIDI and audio, regardless of how the DAW presents them. It just makes more sense to actually see them and treat them as separate things, which they are. One benefit is that you don't have to fight a software synthesizer for control - just automate the volume (or pan, or whatever) on the MIDI track and you're in control.

As for why Kontakt defaults to -6 dB (or is it -12, I forget), that's to assure adequate headroom for mixing. In practice, you don't want any track to actually hit full scale. However, most Kontakt instruments' samples are already set to sensible levels, and a few are set to frustratingly low levels. At times I've had to tell Kontakt to max out at +6 or +12 dB to compensate for low sample levels, knowing that the instrument will never actually hit that. That's why I changed the global default to 0 dB (Options -> Engine -> "Default Volume for new instrument and volume reset") and control the actual volume via MIDI automation.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 15:34:11 (permalink)
bitflipper

Users used to complain that other DAWs had this feature, and therefore SONAR should, too. So CW added it. However, Instrument tracks offer zero additional functionality beyond saving screen real estate (not I problem most of us needed a fix for, because we put MIDI and audio into separate track folders and collapse the ones we're not working on). What it does do is hide some useful features and confuse others.

Internally, you're always going to have separate tracks for MIDI and audio, regardless of how the DAW presents them. It just makes more sense to actually see them and treat them as separate things, which they are. One benefit is that you don't have to fight a software synthesizer for control - just automate the volume (or pan, or whatever) on the MIDI track and you're in control.

Well, that main thing why I use Simple Instrument Tracks is navigation. With 34 tracks in my recent song (not counting the hidden ones) it is important. So, I would need a sort of a breakthrough in my track navigation system. As for now I use only Hide option.
I know theoretically, that it may be made by using Lens or whatever, but I wouldn't like to experiment now by myself. If I would find a video on YouTube with the system to organize doubled tracks, I would be thankful and probably change the system.
bitflipper

As for why Kontakt defaults to -6 dB (or is it -12, I forget), that's to assure adequate headroom for mixing. In practice, you don't want any track to actually hit full scale. However, most Kontakt instruments' samples are already set to sensible levels, and a few are set to frustratingly low levels. At times I've had to tell Kontakt to max out at +6 or +12 dB to compensate for low sample levels, knowing that the instrument will never actually hit that. That's why I changed the global default to 0 dB (Options -> Engine -> "Default Volume for new instrument and volume reset") and control the actual volume via MIDI automation.

What is interesting, I have default volume set to 0 db in Options, but any time I add a new instrument the volume is set to minus 6 db and I need to go to Edit Mode - Instrument Options - Midid Controller range to set it to 0 db.
SimpleManZ
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 17:29:01 (permalink)
vdvorn
bitflipper

Well, that main thing why I use Simple Instrument Tracks is navigation. With 34 tracks in my recent song (not counting the hidden ones) it is important. So, I would need a sort of a breakthrough in my track navigation system. As for now I use only Hide option.
I know theoretically, that it may be made by using Lens or whatever, but I wouldn't like to experiment now by myself. If I would find a video on YouTube with the system to organize doubled tracks, I would be thankful and probably change the system.
bitflipper

What is interesting, I have default volume set to 0 db in Options, but any time I add a new instrument the volume is set to minus 6 db and I need to go to Edit Mode - Instrument Options - Midid Controller range to set it to 0 db.

Yes, I agree. Best not to use Simple Instruments with Kontakt. It is a very powerful device being the most outstanding Sampler on the market. Having to deal with Velocity Layers, Key Switching, Drum Maps, Scripting. For example, as you blow harder into sax or trumpet it not only gets louder but the dynamics changes as well. Midi volume can be mapped to velocity sample layers. You need to articulate that sound different to the relative audio level in the mix. Does it take up too much real estate? So is golf.

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 17:58:28 (permalink)
As for articulations, I use CC5 in Cinematic Strings. I assigned that number to be the CC controller. CS has its own list of art's, each with their own number. I'm guessing your VSTi has something like this also. So, you need to figure out how to use it.

The other way is to use key-switches, assuming the VSTi has them. I prefer CC events, as I use staff view and don't like the weird things that happen when you put in a note 2 octaves below the bass clef.

Another comment on the volume problem: I'm thinking you have competing ways of controlling volume in use, which are interfering with each other. I would eliminate all but one method. for me, that is CC events, but most people use other method. Pick the method that you like to use, then get rid of the others.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 18:40:35 (permalink)
michael diemer
As for articulations, I use CC5 in Cinematic Strings. I assigned that number to be the CC controller. CS has its own list of art's, each with their own number. I'm guessing your VSTi has something like this also. So, you need to figure out how to use it.

Well, I have figured out that the desired articulations have numbers D0 and Eb0. Where do I put this note to make it working?

michael diemer
Another comment on the volume problem: I'm thinking you have competing ways of controlling volume in use, which are interfering with each other. I would eliminate all but one method. for me, that is CC events, but most people use other method. Pick the method that you like to use, then get rid of the others.

I wanted to understand the system, but it looks like it is too complex. So I just put about 127 for CC7 in PRV for Trumpet Section midi track and will do it again if the problem repeats...
michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 20:21:13 (permalink)
CC127 is fine for start volume, especially if the VSTi is low volume to start, as some are. But you should then use CC11 for on the fly adjustments.

As for the notes, D0 and Eb0, these are actual notes. The "0" refers to the first octave, so they are way down there. you can put them in manually in staff view by hovering your mouse cursor way way down, until that note shows in the view that tells you what note it is; and then change it if incorrect in Note Properties. You can add them in PRV and change to correct values the same way. You can even add them in Event List, by hitting the insert button on your keyboard, then changing the event to the correct note. you should add a keyswitch at least one measure before it is needed, if possible. Otherwise, add it at the very end of the preceding measure, so it doesn't affect the last note in that measure. Be aware, however, keyswitches don't always work. that's why I prefer CC events. but your instrument has to have them, obviously.

Another way to do it that is foolproof: just add another midi track and set it to the desired artic.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 20:33:35 (permalink)
michael diemer
As for the notes, D0 and Eb0, these are actual notes. The "0" refers to the first octave, so they are way down there. you can put them in manually in staff view by hovering your mouse cursor way way down, until that note shows in the view that tells you what note it is; and then change it if incorrect in Note Properties. You can add them in PRV and change to correct values the same way. You can even add them in Event List, by hitting the insert button on your keyboard, then changing the event to the correct note. you should add a keyswitch at least one measure before it is needed, if possible. Otherwise, add it at the very end of the preceding measure, so it doesn't affect the last note in that measure. Be aware, however, keyswitches don't always work. that's why I prefer CC events. but your instrument has to have them, obviously.

Another way to do it that is foolproof: just add another midi track and set it to the desired artic.

I just had a Teamviewer session with one experienced Sonar user, he explained me the articulation changes. It seems to be very simple - just add a note in the PRV of the track. The only thing was that the number can be not correct for PRV. I my case it must be not D0, but D2.

He adviced me also to reinstall Sonar (since some features are not working) and learn a new way of starting the project, based upon 16 midi tracks with the audio tracks as an addition. I will probably try to do it, especially because it is not hard to move the tracks contents from the old project to the new one with correctly organized structure.

I have now more that 16 Kontakt instruments, so may be the problem with the volume is connected with the fact that some midi channels are doubled or so...

Thanks a lot one more time for everybody who participated in the thread.
michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 21:41:08 (permalink)
Yes, I forgot that, often you need to change the octave designation. Another reason keyswitches are a pain.
You don't need 16 instances of Kontakt. you can have as few as one, and load it with 16 different inst's. I'm using two most of the time, one for regular strings, one for pizzicato. I also use a Garritan, East West and Vienna synth on my projects, plus a few dim pros. None of them have more than a handful of inst's. Some people say you shouldn't overload them, but too many synths can overload your system. You have to figure out what's best for you and your system.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/18 22:08:08 (permalink)
michael diemer
Yes, I forgot that, often you need to change the octave designation. Another reason keyswitches are a pain.
You don't need 16 instances of Kontakt. you can have as few as one, and load it with 16 different inst's. I'm using two most of the time, one for regular strings, one for pizzicato. I also use a Garritan, East West and Vienna synth on my projects, plus a few dim pros. None of them have more than a handful of inst's. Some people say you shouldn't overload them, but too many synths can overload your system. You have to figure out what's best for you and your system.

My problem is that for some reasons I had about 20 years pause in my DAW recordings, and now I need to work upon the songs, get deeper in my Sonar knowledge and study Melodyne at once. :) I did not expect for Sonar to become so complicated. To investigate Kontakt to load it with many instruments was too much for me... That is why I just opened a new Simple Instrument Track any time, until I got this volume problem.
The good thing is that I probably will revise the whole workflow now to make it more comfortable and flexible...

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 02:02:21 (permalink)
Unfortunately the problem is not still solved for...

I just proved that the track with the changed CC7 volume controller (it is still a Simple Instrument Track) is not available to control from the Console. The volume is set to a certain value and returns to it any time I try to change it while playing back.

It is for me completely unacceptable, so I will need to try to search further... Perhaps, switching to the double tracks for the instrument may help, but may be I will find a better solution.
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 02:07:31 (permalink)
I'm not sure anyone has suggested this.  Have you gone inoto the "Event List" view for the track to see if there are some midi volume or CC events in there that are screwing you up?

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
Blogospherianman
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 03:03:11 (permalink)
Again, check the bottom of the Piano roll view for that track, in the controller pane. Look at the CC7 data.
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 03:53:31 (permalink)
BRainbow
I'm not sure anyone has suggested this.  Have you gone inoto the "Event List" view for the track to see if there are some midi volume or CC events in there that are screwing you up?

Well, I have wrote in my first post that it was the first thing I did... :)
michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 04:30:14 (permalink)
vdvorn
michael diemer

My problem is that for some reasons I had about 20 years pause in my DAW recordings, and now I need to work upon the songs, get deeper in my Sonar knowledge and study Melodyne at once. :) I did not expect for Sonar to become so complicated. To investigate Kontakt to load it with many instruments was too much for me... That is why I just opened a new Simple Instrument Track any time, until I got this volume problem.
The good thing is that I probably will revise the whole workflow now to make it more comfortable and flexible...

Sounds like a good plan!

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 12:31:34 (permalink)
vdvorn
Unfortunately the problem is not still solved for...

I just proved that the track with the changed CC7 volume controller (it is still a Simple Instrument Track) is not available to control from the Console. The volume is set to a certain value and returns to it any time I try to change it while playing back.

It is for me completely unacceptable, so I will need to try to search further... Perhaps, switching to the double tracks for the instrument may help, but may be I will find a better solution.

In Kontakt, open the "Outputs" pane and adjust the volume there.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/19 13:33:14 (permalink)
dcumpian

In Kontakt, open the "Outputs" pane and adjust the volume there.

Dan

Thanks Dan, it seems to be working as a temporary solution.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/20 17:27:24 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby vdvorn 2018/03/24 02:05:22
Hi - I used to have problems with Kontakt Master Volume settings all the time, and did some online research and found the following, which stopped the Master Volume setting in a Kontakt loaded instrument from acting like it had a mind of its own:

1) Open the instance of Kontakt with the instrument giving you a hard time
2) Click on the Wrench icon on the left of the instrument
3) Click on Instrument Options
4) If not already on Controller, click on Controller button
5) Remove the check from the box (option) labeled: "Accept standard controller for Volume and Pan"
6) Click on 'Close' 
7) Click on the Wrench icon again to toggle back to the instrument's normal display panel.

I do not recall if I did a Save for the instrument or not, after making the above change, so if the next project you find the problem returning again, then make the above change again, and save the instrument to make it work that way all the time.  I just can't recall one way or the other on that point.

ALSO please note, I did the same change for Battery 3, as it too had the same volume issues.

I sincerely hope the above helps, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/20 18:15:23 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
Hi - I used to have problems with Kontakt Master Volume settings all the time, and did some online research and found the following, which stopped the Master Volume setting in a Kontakt loaded instrument from acting like it had a mind of its own:

Hi, Bob
it is interesting, but your solution seems to be working. I have unchecked the option you told, put the Master volume upon about minus 1,7 db, deleted my settings for CC7 volume controller for that track, saved the preset, saved the project, quit Sonar and loaded it again for several times.

The Master Volume remains upon minus 1,7 db (at least after some attempts)!

But what is the most interesting, that, if I am not mistaken, one participant of the topic told me quite opposite. He wrote that I need to CHECK this option. :) I told him that I already have it checked and it doesn't work.

So, I will hope that the volume will not be back upon minus 18 or 24 db again.

THANKS A LOT!

michael diemer
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/20 18:32:47 (permalink)
This is an interesting thread. I know that most people using DAWS are doing audio, with perhaps some midi. but some of us do mostly midi, with a little audio. I do midi only. So, no audio tracks, except when I mix down for export. So, I use CC events for volume (7 and 11, except with Aria; there I use 1 instead of 7, otherwise the instrument will go dead suddenly). I do adjust the db setting in Kontakt, as Cinematic Strings seems to have very low base volume. I think that's the only thing I change.

You seem to be doing midi. I have found it best, if doing midi exclusively, to use CC events for everything. Mixing midi and audio controls could lead to problems. Then again, I could be wrong, maybe I'm doing it wrong. More learned minds will hopefully chime in here...

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

vdvorn
Re: A problem with the volume in Kontakt 2018/03/20 21:36:12 (permalink)
michael diemer

You seem to be doing midi. I have found it best, if doing midi exclusively, to use CC events for everything. Mixing midi and audio controls could lead to problems. Then again, I could be wrong, maybe I'm doing it wrong. More learned minds will hopefully chime in here...

Well, I just tried again to enter Sonar and prove the general volume of the problem Kontakt track. It is still set to minus 1,7 db, the value I set to him. So, if Bob would answer me earlier, probably the thread would contain only a few posts... :)

As for the MIDI and audio tracks, frankly, I still can not understand, why do I need 2 tracks for a Kontakt instrument. I would be completely satisfied, if I have in Console 2 types of volume sliders from 0 to 127 for midi tracks and in DB for audio tracks. It would be even more comfortable for me, since I can see which type of track I have.

I don't know, may be this extremely complex volume regulation system with Kontakt has a sense, but it is definitely not easy for the people who want to just use the programs, without the detailed understanding how it all works...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1