Helpful ReplyWould this be the proper way to bring back some low to mix

Author
kook
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
2018/03/21 18:33:33 (permalink)

Would this be the proper way to bring back some low to mix

So i mixed a song..sounded ok but the lows from kick and bass were a bit 'wide'..boomy..so i did a remix lowerd some of the lows on the kick and bass track..brought up a little mid in each to help it stand out in mix..played it back for friend..he said it needs more low end to warm it up..so my question is...is going to my master and bringing up the low end a bit the wrong way to go about it? Or should i got to the bass and kick track and bring them up ? I ask because im happy with the way the 2 tracks are sitting in mix...
Ty
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Would this be the proper way to bring back some low to mix 2018/03/21 19:19:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/04/19 16:13:54
same mix..
two different playback systems...

you will always get two opinions about the mix.

the idea is to 'master' a final mix, so that it sounds good on most all playback systems,
which means everything from tiny ear buds to big @ss sound systems with subs and a zillion watts...

and thats hard to do unless you have a treated room, excellent monitors, and really know how to master well.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Would this be the proper way to bring back some low to mix 2018/03/21 19:36:09 (permalink)
In order of importance:

1  Being able to master well
2  Having a set of quality speakers.  Easy to do these days.  A lot of speakers sound great now!
3  Having a reasonable sounding room.  Also achievable even with modest situations by doing some basic operations such as controlling most reflections to some degree.

Go back and listen closely to the sounds that are adding weight to the mix.  The kick drum and bass guitar are a good place to start.  You can create a nice healthy bottom end but then in mastering, taming that low end comes into play.  You have to shape it well.  Keeping the right amount of low end in without things getting too deep or subby. 

Lots of other sounds contribute low end.  Ensure you are not cutting too much away from some sources.  Easy to do and get carried away with.  Sometimes you don't have to push the mids so high either to get sounds to be heard.  Keep the balance normal. Remove a little low end from something individual and turn it up a little after doing that.  

With a mix too you might get some slight build up around 250 Hz or so.  Upper lows or lower mids.  In the mastering EQ one can dip that down slightly and then the mix becomes clear and still retains its lower bottom end.  

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
kook
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: Would this be the proper way to bring back some low to mix 2018/03/21 19:56:41 (permalink)
Thanks guys..my master is dipped a little at 268hz already..i brought up 125hz just a hair on my master..it mite be what im looking for in bringing back the low i squashed..im actually mixing it as i type this, i do listen back on my studio monitors and i also can switch to my stereo which has 3 sets of speakers i can switch through..was just curious if i was doing something completly wrong by going to the master eq..to bring that low back a bit
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1