Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals?

Author
user390096
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2018/03/22 11:13:26 (permalink)

Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals?

Hi,

Demoing Track Spacer (Wavesfactory) for vocals and want to confirm I have the set-up correct for vocals. I have a bus where all my "music" goes and a bus for all my "vocals". I placed the plug-in in the "music" FX bin, and then added a send to my lead vocal channel; "TrackSpacer(Input2)-music". That seems to work rather than the other way around, which I had first tried and which produced no movement in the GUI of Track Spacer. Now I see what I think is my vocal (blue, upper line moving), with the music, a white line, moving underneath the blue line. Can anyone confirm I have it set up correctly?

To complicate things a bit more, I also continue to send from my music bus to my vocal bus, a Vocal Rider signal which I still utilize although I realize both plugs seem to try to "automatically" achieve the same thing, which is slightly lift the vocal just above the music. So far Track Spacer seems pretty good, with and/or without Vocal Rider active.

Thanx, Frederick

PS good to hear about this new group taking over Sonar. I figured someone would do it as it's a great program with a huge community willing to spend more $$ for it's further development. Yippee!

6 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/03/22 13:12:54 (permalink)
    If you are trying to lower the music by triggering a compressor using the vocal track, then it sounds like you have it set up correctly. In TrackSpacer, you should see the blue line move with the vocal. The the white line's movement reflects the gain reduction to be applied to the track/bus the plugin is on.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    user390096
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/03/22 16:00:33 (permalink)
    Thanx Dan,

I had seen your response involving bass/kick drum, but wasn't quite sure about vocals/backing tracks. Do you have Track Spacer, do you like it, and do you think it does anything more than Vocal Rider? I even put FabFilter ProEQ2 below Track Spacer so I could observe the frequencies being changed when I tweaked the frequency knobs in Track Spacer. Worked perfectly. Thanx for the ideas.

Frederick
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/03/22 20:04:51 (permalink)
    I use it, mostly for bass and kick. It's also useful for featuring an instrument. Not sure I would ever use it for a vocal though, only because I would create space for the vocal a different way.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    jerrypettit
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/03/24 13:39:03 (permalink)
    You have it set up right--I use Trackspacer on every song I do, and have it set up exactly like this with a "Music" bus and a "Vox" bus, with Trackspacer on the "Music" bus and the "Vox" bus sending to it.  EXCEPT your process of "To complicate things a bit more, I also continue to send from my music bus to my vocal bus..." doesn't make sense, and would seem to be decreasing the VOCAL when the MUSIC is playing--exactly the opposite of what you want to do.  I'd delete that portion of the proess.
    user390096
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/03/24 17:54:31 (permalink)
    Hi Jerry,

AFAIK Vocal Rider works just on volume comparisons while Track Spacer works on pitch frequencies/ducking. So far they seem to work well together as I'm trying it on lots of my old songs. I have a few songs where Vocal Rider wasn't quite lifting certain sections of the vocal enough and using TS has seemed to give a little more space. It's not real expensive so I'll probably get it once it goes on sale. I imagine there may be an Easter sale next week.
    user390096
    Re: Track Spacer Set-up For Vocals? 2018/04/10 12:00:11 (permalink)
    Recently realized my new SurferEQ2 can do this task when used as a side-chain. It does it very well in fact, but I needed to contact Sound Radix Support a couple of times to figure out which tiny buttons to push to get it working right. SurferEQ2 seems like a space age EQ because it can follow your voice as it moves from pitch to pitch, pretty cool. My only complaint about SurferEQ2 is that it's an ILok deal whereas I think Track Spacer can be used anywhere.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1