Helpful ReplyChord Track / Arrangement Track.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
richardskeltmusic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/06/29 15:58:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2018/07/01 19:36:14
I find the S1 4 implementation very helpful for trying out different chords to create different harmonies in the early stages of fleshing out a song once I have the melody roughly in place.  I used to do that sort of thing in BiaBox, but much prefer the flexibility and speed of S1 4 for this.  Frankly I find it pretty amazing, though I will almost certainly re-record the final guitar (audio) tracks - if for no other reason that I'm going to have to learn them to play live anyway.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/06/30 18:19:22 (permalink)
I think the most misunderstood thing about chord tracks is that they are only useful for writing your chord progression (a crutch for music theory challenged users), rather than the more powerful way they can be used to alter the chord progression for all of your tracks in the arrangement that are following the feature.

It is not simply a tool for writing your song's first track, while giving you suggestions for a pleasing chord progression in your song.  I'm sure it could be helpful in that way if you need the music theory assist, but it can be much more than that.

For example, say you wrote your song manually, such as a melody track using your own chord progression.  Then you got inspired and put down a dozen more tracks in your song that harmonize with that initial progression.

But wait, what if you then decided to alter one chord in the melody that didn't work harmonically with your other 12 tracks?

You could edit all the other tracks manually.  Or, if all of those tracks were following a chord track, then you could simply make the chord change to the chord track and the change would instantly ripple through all of your tracks!

Which workflow would you prefer???

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/06/30 20:59:31 (permalink)
I just sprung the upgrade fee to Studio One v.4 for this feature, only to discover there's no 32-bit version anymore, meaning I cannot use my 32-bit plugs in S1 anymore. Yes, I know, JBridge. More money.

I'd rather have paid Cake for an equivalent feature.
abacab
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/06/30 23:58:22 (permalink)
jpetersen
I just sprung the upgrade fee to Studio One v.4 for this feature, only to discover there's no 32-bit version anymore, meaning I cannot use my 32-bit plugs in S1 anymore. Yes, I know, JBridge. More money.

I'd rather have paid Cake for an equivalent feature.

It would be cool if Cake would add this, but I suspect it will be a long time before any new major features are added to Cake, just when they are trying to finish ironing out the bugs they already have. It's a free DAW now, so no money to be made adding core features.

It is convenient that Cake already has built-in bit bridging for plugins, but it seems to be common advice around here to migrate to 64-bit plugins wherever possible anyway to minimize incompatibilities.

I think 64-bit only is the trend we are beginning to see all over, as developers choose to spend their resources on the mainstream.  Maybe instead of JBridge, a good plan would be to finish existing projects in your current DAW with your 32-bit plugs, and then find 64-bit replacements for them when starting new projects in S1 v4.

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 01:23:07 (permalink)
abacab

But wait, what if you then decided to alter one chord in the melody that didn't work harmonically with your other 12 tracks?

You could edit all the other tracks manually.  Or, if all of those tracks were following a chord track, then you could simply make the chord change to the chord track and the change would instantly ripple through all of your tracks!

Which workflow would you prefer???

It depends. Small steps will work, greater steps (i.e. greater than a third) are a bit difficult. You've to adjust manually. That means: new recording or melodyne or prv. 

cheers :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 02:17:08 (permalink)
I think complaining about not being Ableton to use your 32 bit plugins in a modern DAW is like complainging you can’t redeem all the green stamps you collected decades ago are useless. At some point legacy technology becomes more trouble than it is worth. If that 32 bit plug means that much, just keep an old install around of a DAW that utilizes it.
abacab
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 03:55:59 (permalink)
mkerl

That means: new recording or melodyne or prv.

Or chord track.  Then you could make BIG changes in one step too.  

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 08:05:28 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I think complaining about not being Ableton to use your 32 bit plugins in a modern DAW is like complainging you can’t redeem all the green stamps you collected decades ago are useless.

It's like buying a modern amp and discovering they're saving money by nixing the passive channel.

From now on new amps are only going to support active guitars.

I can't use my guitars collected decades ago and are useless unless I buy a preamp (in this case: JBridge)
post edited by jpetersen - 2018/07/01 09:32:17
mkerl
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 13:01:26 (permalink)
abacab
mkerl

Chord track has limits when it comes to BIG changes. It's in the nature of things. You can experiment with different modes, but more often than not you have to adjust the result to make it sound good. Manually.

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 18:25:57 (permalink)
jpetersen
dubdisciple
I think complaining about not being Ableton to use your 32 bit plugins in a modern DAW is like complainging you can’t redeem all the green stamps you collected decades ago are useless.

It's like buying a modern amp and discovering they're saving money by nixing the passive channel.

From now on new amps are only going to support active guitars.

I can't use my guitars collected decades ago and are useless unless I buy a preamp (in this case: JBridge)

Apples and oranges. You are comparing core functionality to simply outdated technology. The choice to use integrated amp vs preamp and amp has been around for decades because one does not make the other obsolete. Jbridge is a converter. A preamp is part of the process whether integrated or not
abacab
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 18:55:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/07/01 18:57:10
mkerl
abacab
mkerl

Chord track has limits when it comes to BIG changes. It's in the nature of things. You can experiment with different modes, but more often than not you have to adjust the result to make it sound good. Manually.

I'm going to venture a guess that you record mostly audio tracks, rather than compose music with MIDI.

mkerl
Re: Chord Track / Arrangement Track. 2018/07/01 19:16:04 (permalink)
abacab
mkerl
abacab
mkerl

I'm going to venture a guess that you record mostly audio tracks, rather than compose music with MIDI.

Hehe, no I do record audio and use midi as well. I've just tested the chord track in S1 / 4 in the demo. It worked extremly good with small steps, let's say E to F or G. Greater steps have been difficult in voicing, same with complex chords (7/9/11). One of the reps in the Presonus Forum stated,  it's logical that there are limits. I mean, with different modes (parallel, universal and others) they made it close to genius, but  . . . . to make it sound good, you should be ready for manuyl adjustments.

Cheers :)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1