Helpful ReplyCan't load East West PLAY (again) [SOLVED]

Author
violacompost
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2018/03/31 19:20:44 (permalink)

Can't load East West PLAY (again) [SOLVED]

I had this problem once before: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can39t-load-East-West-Play-SOLVED-m3597520.aspx

Last time, running a minor update to PLAY fixed it, but this time it isn't an option. Sonar Platinum (23.10.0.14 x64) and Play (5.0.5) are both up to date. iLok License Manager was at 3.0.3.1468. I updated to 4.1.1.2170 (r41489) and the issue persists. 

I'm doing a fresh setup of a laptop. Play .dll is where it's supposed to be, and its location is in the list of folders for Sonar to search for .dll files. I can run Kontakt and other samplers/instruments just fine and Play works in standalone. If I open old projects that use PLAY, Sonar can't find the plugin. If I try to add PLAY to a project, it's not anywhere in the list of available plugins.

I'm on a Lenovo Legion Y-520 laptop, in case these specs matter:
Windows 10 Home (10.0.16299)
i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz Quad Core
16GB RAM

Any help or idea is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
post edited by violacompost - 2018/04/03 03:41:29
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Can't load East West PLAY (again) 2018/04/01 00:18:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby violacompost 2018/04/03 03:34:15
There are a lot of factors, but if SONAR tried to load the Play DLL during a scan and it failed, SONAR can/will mark that DLL as not a plugin.  Which will prevent it from trying to load it again (after say you got the iLok libraries correct).  Could also be a problem with the Visual C++ Runtimes (you may need to manually install them).

If you open Regedit and go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

you should see entries for every DLL plugin.  Find the one for Play.  For example mine is d:/apps/vstplugins64/play_VST_x64.dll  beause I store all my 64 bit VST plugins on my D drive in that folder.  Yours will have the path to where you put the Play DLL.  You can look to see what SONAR thinks about it, there is a key for "isBad" which will shut down that plugin completely.  Also"isVst" and "isX64" if those aren't set to 1 (true) then SONAR will skip that.  Normally you can do the full reset inside SONAR's plugin manager and it will rescan it, which is why a full reset and rescan fixes most people.  Or you could just delete the whole key for just Play and then do a rescan.

If that still doesn't fix it I'd look into missing/badly installed C runtime libraries and/or support libraries (which is why re-running their installer usually fixes things but perhaps they don't install everything they need correctly, which wouldn't be a surprise). 

If SONAR tries to load the plugin DLL and because it needs other DLLs that aren't available or aren't correct the plugin can fail to load.  Sometimes this happens when an earlier plugin in the scan messes things up and can cause later plugins to fail to load.  Which causes them to be marked as bad or not a plugin, even though it wasn't Play that was really at fault.  Deleteing the whole Play entry will force just it to rescan, which can avoid this someone earlier messed up things problem.

If it's not there in the registry, then your scanning paths may be not what you think or perhaps some sort of admin right issue.

For most people doing a full reset and re-scan solves these kinds of problems without having to dig into the "why" though.  But if it's not showing up for you and reseting and rescaning isn't fixing it, then the registry is the next place to start digging and work from there.

-Matt

violacompost
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: Can't load East West PLAY (again) 2018/04/03 03:39:33 (permalink)
msorrels
If you open Regedit and go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

you should see entries for every DLL plugin.  Find the one for Play.  For example mine is d:/apps/vstplugins64/play_VST_x64.dll  beause I store all my 64 bit VST plugins on my D drive in that folder.  Yours will have the path to where you put the Play DLL.  You can look to see what SONAR thinks about it, there is a key for "isBad" which will shut down that plugin completely.  Also"isVst" and "isX64" if those aren't set to 1 (true) then SONAR will skip that.  Normally you can do the full reset inside SONAR's plugin manager and it will rescan it, which is why a full reset and rescan fixes most people.  Or you could just delete the whole key for just Play and then do a rescan.

Thank you so much for this incredible response! Resetting/rescanning wasn't working, but deleting the registry key and opening up Sonar (which triggered a scan) did the trick. There was indeed an entry for "isBad" and both "isVst" and "isX64" were set to 0. I never would have known to dig into this or understood its meaning otherwise!

Thanks again!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1