Helpful ReplyDimension Pro - Programs

Author
paul_fasone
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2018/04/04 17:13:04 (permalink)

Dimension Pro - Programs

I just setup a new DAW: SPLAT,  64-Bit Windows 10 computer and migrated / installed everything from the old system.  

Problem I'm having is that expansion packs that I re-installed are not showing up in Dimension Pro.  One thing different about this system is that I'm keeping O/S on the C: drive, but User Documents (Music, Documents, etc.) on the D: drive.  All expansion packs installed successfully but are not showing up in Dimesion Pro.

It appears that Dimension Pro is still using the C:/Program Data/Cakewalk...  To store programs, multisamples, etc.  So, I tried copying a couple of folders to that location (they were on the D: drive) but that did not have any effect.  Is there a solution to this, or will I have to switch projects over to Rapture Session / Rapture Pro as these programs appear to be visible there.

I found this KB article, but it is not clear where the source folders are:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013168/Missing-Expansion-Packs-in-Dimension-Pro-LE-1-5

Missing Expansion Packs in Dimension Pro/LE 1.5

Last updated on 3/31/2016
Third-party and Cakewalk expansion packs for Dimension Pro/LE that were released prior to the 1.5 update may fail to install content into the correct location.  This issue occurs because the content location for Dimension Pro/LE was moved for better UAC compatibility in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

To correct this issue do one of the following:
  1. Run the 1.5 updater again, the 1.5 update will automatically copy installed content into the new location
  2. Manually copy your 'MIDI', 'Programs', and 'Sample Pool' folders to the following location:
C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro

OR

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension LE
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 17:40:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby paul_fasone 2018/04/04 18:47:10
DP is hardcoded to look for programs in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs for program files along with the other data stored in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro but this does NOT include the multisamples folder. The default location of the multisamples folder is either C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples or C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples. The multisamples folder location is not hard coded but is read from the registry.

In order to see programs manually copied into the Programs folder, make sure to hit the F5 key in the DP browser to rebuild the program list.

When it comes to Rapture Session/Pro install order matters. Make sure to install DP and Rapture before Rapture Session/Pro because its installer copies the programs from ProgramData into the Rapture Session/Pro program folder. DP and Rapture program changes made after Rapture Session/Pro install will not automatically show up in Rapture Session/Pro.
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 19:00:46 (permalink)
Thanks for the quick reply and this is very helpful.  
Initially, I copied one folder (Basses) to: C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs, but not any other files.
(It's too bad the .prog files are binary because you can't see the files that they are referencing).

I opened the DP browser and hit F5, nothing happened initially then I figured out the focus (cursor) has to be inside the list.  Good news is it refreshed and the "Basses" folder appeared.  When I tried to load a program it failed, presumably be cause I didn't copy over the associated .sfz, multisamples, etc.

I have Windows 10 libraries (Documents, my music, etc.) set to the D: Drive.  I noticed during expansion pack installs that some items were pointing to D:/Cakewalk Content or D:Program Data.  Plus when I backed up and restored the old system, I manually copied a lot of files there manually.

Can you tell me which dependent files and folders needs to be copied to where so that the Programs I copy to C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs will load properly? 

scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 19:47:53 (permalink)
All the Cakewalk sfz synths have at least two folders, one to hold the program files and one for the samples. The sample folder (aka multisample folder) locations are stored in the registry for each synth. IIRC, Program files can point to samples and sfz files anywhere on the system and uses absolute paths in the program files when using a location other than the multisample folder defined in the registry.

The location the samples go in depending on the age of the installer and if Rapture Session/Pro is installed. Old installers use the DP multisample folder entry in the registry (or if a very old broken installer the default path). I mentioned the two possible default paths for samples above. If on the other hand, it is a new installer and Rapture Session/Pro is installed, the samples are placed in its sample path. The default for Rapture Session/Pro is C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples. If you wish to use them DP you will have to either copy them to the DP sample folder or point DP to the RP folder. Personally, I copied everything from C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples into C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples then deleted C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples and created a directory junction point to the RP sample folder. Now it does matter where a new or old installer the samples go into the same place and both synth find them.
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 21:37:32 (permalink)
So this is the error I'm getting:
"Error Uncompressing Program Data - Program Load Failed"

I opened the program file: 
"C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs\Bass Guitars\RGC Jaco (at).prog"
in a hex editor and saw the following (relative path?) references:
13 - Electric Basses\Fretless Bass mf.sfz
Cabinet and Amp Simulations\SM57a.sfz

Note: Upon opening of the project these error messages come up:
Title: "Multisample Not Found"
(These all correspond to programs unable to load on project's instances of Dimension Pro)   

---Looked for the .sfz files referenced--- 
File: "Fretless Bass mf.sfz" is on the computer in these folders:
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\
C:\Program Files\cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\
D:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\
Contents of all three files is Identical:
+++
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// sfz Definition File
// Version 2
//
// © 2005 Cakewalk Music Software
// All Rights Reserved
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_D1_01.flac key=d2 lokey=bb1 tune=3
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_E1_02.flac key=e2 lokey=d#2 hikey=f2
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_G1_01.flac key=g2 lokey=f#2 tune=-10
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_A1_02.flac key=a2 lokey=g#2 hikey=a#2 tune=4
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_C2_01.flac key=c3 lokey=b2 hikey=d3 tune=-9
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_E2_01.flac key=e3 lokey=d#3 hikey=f3
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_G2_01.flac key=g3 lokey=f#3 tune=-5
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_A2_02.flac key=a3 lokey=g#3 hikey=a#3 tune=-9
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_C3_02.flac key=c4 lokey=b3 hikey=d4 tune=-17
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_E3_01.flac key=e4 lokey=d#4 hikey=f4 tune=-11
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_G3_01.flac key=g4 lokey=f#4 tune=-29
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_A3_01.flac key=a4 lokey=g#4 hikey=a#4 tune=-12
<region> sample=Fretless Bass\Jbfless1_med_C4_02.flac key=c5 lokey=b4 tune=-7
+++

File: "SM57a.sfz" is on the computer in these folders:
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\Cabinet and Amp Simulations\
D:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\Cabinet and Amp Simulations\
C:\Users\Paul N Fasone\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\ (symbolic link)

Contents of both files is identical:
+++
<region> sample=Impulses\silence.wav

<effect>
type=tdfir
tdfir_impulse=Impulses\SM57a.wav
tdfir_gain=0
tdfir_dry=0
tdfir_wet=100
+++

Sample File: Jbfless1_med_D1_01.flac is on the computer in these folders:
D:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\Fretless Bass\ 
C:\Program Files\cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\Fretless Bass\
C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\13 - Electric Basses\Fretless Bass\

File: silence.wav (and it's just that! LOL) is on the computer in these folders: 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\vstplugins\Cakewalk Sound Center\Modules\Multisamples\Dimension Pro\98 - Special\
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 12 Organizer\Assets\vcd\

!!! File: SM57a.wav is nowhere to be found on the system. Definite problem !!!
!!! However There IS a SM57a.flac file under:
D:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Sample Data\Rapture Pro\Multisamples\Cabinet and Amp Simulations\Impulses
Could this be an old SM57a.sfz file that should have been updated to reference the SM57a.flac file??

I am unable to load to Dimension Pro program: RGC Jaco (at).prog or any other that I copied into:
C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs

The only thing that I can think of further would be to copy all Multisamples folders and files to another location.  I already copied them to: C:\Program Files\cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples\

Any ideas you have at this point would be greatly appreciated,

scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 21:54:11 (permalink)
Maybe an old version of DP that does not support flac. IIRC, flac support was introduced with v1.5.
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 22:52:01 (permalink)
No, I have only one DP installed Ver. 1.5.5.16, the latest version.  I installed it with Sonar Platinum.
It is a problem that the .swf file is referencing:
"<region> sample=Impulses\silence.wav
tdfir_impulse=Impulses\SM57a.wav"
 .wav files but there are only .flac files in the Multisamples folders

How can this be?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 23:17:57 (permalink)
when Cakewalk updated DP to use flac rather than rewrite all the sfz files they modified the sfz parser in DP to look for files with a with either a .flac or .wav extension.

The only other time I recall seeing something similar to "Error Uncompressing Program Data - Program Load Failed" was trying to load a Rapture program in DP. But this does not look like the case here. Are the drives compressed? That is a problem.
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 23:34:40 (permalink)
So what do you expect would happen if the .sfz file specifies a .wav file, but only a .flag file exists?

To your other question, no, I've never compressed any drives.

Cakewalk soft-synths have been the bane of my existence for many years now! This is one area where the company truly failed. Makes me want to switch to Pro Tools soon as I have a chance. This hard-coding and lack of portability of samples and libraries is disgraceful from a design perspective.

As an application developer myself, I would have been hung many times over for hard coding like this. Shame, such a waste of time. Cakewalk products make it necessary to hack the system way too often when energy should be spent making music!
scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/04 23:46:40 (permalink)
The extension does not matter. DP will load either xxx.flac or xxx.wav if either one is available. This is true for all Cakewalk sfz synths that support flac files.

paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/05 02:21:08 (permalink)
That's good to know. I will have to look elsewhere then. This one bass program seems to be very straightforward in terms of resources, so I'm not sure what to check next.

All of the .flac files are playable in a simple media player. Nothing seems to be missing at this point. Do you have any ideas as to where I might go from here?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/05 18:18:41 (permalink)
Sorry for the delay. It has been a little crazy with the release of Cakewalk. Just reviewed post #5. One thing you want to do is figure out where DP is getting sfz and sample data. I mentioned the default above. The actual location is found in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp\Multisample Folder.

Another thing that might be useful is see if the program plays in Rapture Session/Pro. You do not mention which synth is installed.

paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/05 23:32:24 (permalink)
I actually had a look at this yesterday.  The location is set to:
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro

This agrees with what seems to be working.  Wasn't sure if DP was looking at this value or not, but apparently it is. I suppose this could be changed so that duplicate copes of sfz and sample files don't have to be kept, but I already started down the path of copying stuff to:
C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro

I'll check on Rapture Pro being able to play the samples eventually, for now trying to get DP programs to work.  I found a couple of missing expansion packs that I purchased.  Many of them are no longer posted on the Cakewalk website.  I'm still missing DSP Classic Keys.  Do you know where I might find these?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/05 23:52:18 (permalink)
I do recall where DSF Classic Keys came from. It may have been on the Additional Content disk that shipped with SONAR 8 or 8.5. I never looked for a download. While I changed PCs several times since buying DP and Rapture (i bought both almost the day they were released), I have always thrown away whatever gets installed in the mutisample folder and the contents of the parent of the programs folder, replacing them with the folders from the previous install. It was a lot easier for me rather than trying to find all the installers, custom sfz and samples.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/06 09:14:10 (permalink)
Do you still have your old DAW? If so then just copy over the 2 sets of files, i.e. the multisamples and the programs, keeping their folder structures intact. These contain all the expansion packs correctly merged with the original files.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/06 12:30:21 (permalink)
Kev999
Do you still have your old DAW? If so then just copy over the 2 sets of files, i.e. the multisamples and the programs, keeping their folder structures intact. These contain all the expansion packs correctly merged with the original files.

Unfortunately the old system experienced a boot drive failure.  I had backed up most of the installation files, but am missing DSF (Digital Sound Factory) V02 - Classic Keys and a few others?  Do you have any of these or know where I could find them?
paul_fasone
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/06 16:19:03 (permalink)
scook
I do recall where DSF Classic Keys came from. It may have been on the Additional Content disk that shipped with SONAR 8 or 8.5. I never looked for a download. While I changed PCs several times since buying DP and Rapture (i bought both almost the day they were released), I have always thrown away whatever gets installed in the mutisample folder and the contents of the parent of the programs folder, replacing them with the folders from the previous install. It was a lot easier for me rather than trying to find all the installers, custom sfz and samples.

Not sure I understand your approach, but it's gotta be better than mine! LOL Do you know where I could obtain a copy of this 8.5 "additional content" disk or the files?  This appears to be part or all of what is missing. 

Also, as for the: "Error Uncompressing Program Data - Program Load Failed" error, I think you were onto something.  The beginning of the "RGC Jaco (at).prog" file starts with: RAPT$', so my assumption is that this is a Rapture program file.  I didn't account for the fact that there might be both Dimension and Rapture program files named: "RGC Jaco (at).prog".  The sample files are present, so the project is playing the program correctly, but if I try to reload the program, it fails.  If this is the case, eventually I will cleanup Rapture programs that I copied over to: C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Programs.  

In the meantime if you could help me locate some of these old DSF packs, that would be great.  
scook
Forum Host
Re: Dimension Pro - Programs 2018/04/06 17:04:01 (permalink)
Obtaining installers is a company support issue. Unfortunately, you are caught in transition between companies (I am a user not an employee of Cakewalk or BandLab). If you have not created a BandLab account make sure to do so. In order to insure you Cakewalk account history gets transferred make sure to use the email address in your BandLab account is the same as the Cakewalk account.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1