Helpful ReplyLong-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now?

Author
ionecake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2018/04/06 14:04:43 (permalink)

Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now?

Hey Guys -- I'm a former Cakewalk user (and fan) from another era, and my interest in Cakewalk goes way back to the early days with Hendershott. What memories. I currently don't use Cakewalk as my primary DAW, but with the latest news, I'm fascinated and want to be optimistic, but have some real questions about Cakewalk's ultimate direction.

I was saddened to find out that Cakewalk was being discontinued by Gibson, very happy to see it rescued by Meng Ru Kuok, and blown away to see him release it for free. Wow. That sent shockwaves through the larger DAW community. The winds of change are blowing. I was also really happy to see Noel brought back on the team, as many years ago, I had the privilege of some great personal exchanges with him and I think he's a stand-up guy. 

As I've been following the latest developments, I've gotten into several discussions with former- and never- and current-Cakewalk users about this big announcement, and most of us agree this is potentially a MAJOR shift for the entire DAW community, representing what is probably a brand new business model for DAWs.

So now to my questions -- What is the long-term plan for Cakewalk and BandLab? How will they really make money down the road? What will Cakewalk have to morph into in order to actually make money? What long-term commitments can Meng actually give the Cakewalk community of his support for advanced development? Obviously, BandLab won't likely share all it's deep strategic thinking with us, but I wanted to try to understand the general game plan. I hope Noel and/or Meng might be reading this too, would love their input.

Why is this important for some of us to know? Well, IMO, if someone installs a DAW, they may or may not realize this, but they are installing a product that is a long-term commitment. The musician/producer is forming a long-term relationship with his toolset. When you start writing or recording something so personal as music in a DAW, those projects can go on for years and years, and the tools we use are the creative extension of our minds and hearts. I've got old cherished Cakewalk files 20+ years ago (and older) in my backups -- and so I'll always be interested and optimistic about what happens with Cakewalk, and it's great to know it has a life ahead of it. And also great to know where Cakewalk is going. There will be a lot of heart and soul poured into using Cakewalk in the coming chapter of its history, and since this is such a "new" business model, I'd personally love to know where it's really going. I'm sure I'm not alone in my curiosity.

There's a basic fact in business (and some might say, life in general), which is that NOTHING is ever really, truly free. So BandLab has to get SOMETHING out of this extraordinary move they just made, at some point in the future. For now, I get it. It's a market-share move, and I believe the genuine passion of Meng. So it's a great first step worthy of huge kudos!

Yes, I've read Meng's posts and press releases about the general philosophy of giving the tools to produce music to the maximum number of people, etc.. And as a philosophy, I think that's great. But as a BUSINESS MODEL, he needs Cakewalk to eventually make money. Right now, Meng seems to be in Internet start-up mode, building market share for his BandLab and now Cakewalk divisions. But EVERY business (even ones with deep investment from billionaire fathers) will have to eventually make money, right?

So will Cakewalk continue to be developed as a high-end (but still FREE) DAW, but then start making money via the in-app purchase model? Will it go the advertising model? Will it go the profile monitoring and collection model? All three models?

Will they ever start removing features, or limiting the higher-end features with a pay wall? Is their focus going to be moving to mainstream, consumer kind of DAW, or will they ever be developing unique features for sub-market segments and specialties, like film/media/game composers, or EDM, or classical notation-oriented tools, or sound designers, or post production, or mastering, or studio hardware integration, etc... How generic will they go, or will they still pay attention to the fringe areas? Will they invest in R&D on the science of DSP algorithms or just package tons of loops to sell?

Would love to know the direction BandLab will really be going. I work with a bunch of people and I recommend DAW software all the time, and I want to be able to give them good advice, but I'm not sure what to say about the "new" Cakewalk yet. Where will it go in 2-3-4 years? What and how and why is it being released this way? Not a criticism, but if in 2 years Cakewalk is constantly hitting you with ads and in-app purchases or monitoring your computer to collect profile data, I wouldn't want to recommend that to anyone (or keep it installed myself). I'd like to know if BandLab will actually keep Cakewalk around and really commit long-term to it as a world-class high-performance DAW... and if so, how is BandLab as a parent company itself going to make money long-term?

It's all great and wonderful that Cakewalk is free and under development again with a good team led by Noel again, but I wouldn't want to experience the UNCERTAINTY again. Yes, obviously, life is filled with uncertainty, but in the DAW market, there's never been an approach like this before, so the more we know about the general direction and game plan, the more helpful that will be for generating confidence in the user base that this is a long-term commitment. And I know it's very early in the new chapter and they're still figuring things out, but I'm not even sure that BandLab itself is solvent or profitable on its own right now (I have no way of knowing, but I don't see any real visible revenue streams yet). I mean, BandLab is in a huge growth phase with start-up investment, so we understand how that model works more or less, but look at SoundCloud, which is really struggling, and that was a darling of the industry in recent years. What happens if BandLab can't transition to a profitable venture on its own? What happens with Cakewalk once again? I'm not just looking at 2018, but I'm looking at what level of stability and commitment I can anticipate in 2019, 2020, 2021, etc... 

Not trying to be negative but trying to understand the game plan. I see a lot of celebrating in the forum, with a few nay-sayers getting criticized, but some of them are bringing up valid concerns. I for one wish Meng and Noel the best with all this, and I hope they can truly transform the industry in a positive way. The potential is certainly there! But it's also a risky move -- BOLD, but risky. Meng is about 30 years old, clearly very ambitious, innovative, and with great support from his family, and he already has shown he has some great business skills. But when the numbers have to add up in a few years, what will Cakewalk look like then and how will it balance the accounting? 

Hope you all understand this is NOT a negative post, but a genuine query on the bigger picture. In any case, I wish Cakewalk all the best, and hope that it stays around for a long, long time! Congrats to Meng and his team, and warmest well-wishes to Noel as he starts this new journey!
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 14:24:09 (permalink)
I can see you like to delve into the deeper picture and I like that. I'm sure many here are thinking the same or similar thoughts.
Here's my simple take on it. Unlike most other tangible items. Software is in an entirely different universe. We can't really compare it to much that is similar. It is ever developing and ever changing right along with advancing hardware.. This goes contrary to the old school thought that you buy something and keep it until it wears out. Software doesn't wear out, it becomes "obsolete". It needs hardware to work. If you over stay the life expectancy of the hardware you can't use the new software.

If  Cakewalk by BandLab draws in new customers and sells  synths, plug ins etc. it really is a means to an end..the focus is no longer on the daw as such. It becomes more about an environment people are drawn to, so yes we are in a new era and I think Cakewalk/Bandlab is leading that. Price or value only figure into the way it helps achieve the other goals.

I think Cakewalk by BandLab will continue to develop so long as there are developers. No software program can remain static and survive over the long haul. It might be a chargeable option in the future, but in the scope of things it doesn't necessarily need to be. It could be looked at more as a tool or a business expense.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

midist
  • Total Posts : 35
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 14:47:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/04/06 17:22:09
I think that it is possible to spead previous version of Cakewalk freely by only Bandlab. If Logic and Cubase do that, so many customers will bring a suit against them. In contrast, nobody can do that against Bandlab who has no responsibility for previous verision. Just these point, Bandlab's chance to shot to fame to the world! 
Maybe the next version will make lots of money. I think so.
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 14:47:43 (permalink)
I have the same concerns, ionecake, so you are not alone.  Meng did make it clear that CbB will be free just as BandLab (the app) is free and the extras, like Rapture, etc., will be sold.  Noel has voiced the same but the future is yet to me seen.

I would caution...  This thread might be suddenly locked by a certain moderator who does not appreciate discussions regarding the business side of Cakewalk, although it is of great concern for some of us.

I have confidence in Meng.  He has shown himself to be a standup guy himself.  Nonetheless, some clarification or idea on what is to be expected would be reassuring (like new features and not just fixes, etc., which might be for sale).

Kind regards,

tecknot
Starriddin
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 15:05:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/04/06 15:10:32
I think BL will use CbB as it’s base DAW to use for music creation collaboration. Think about it. Individuals use the free DAW as a standardized platform to work together creating songs. I think soon you will see some sort of sharing your tracks in progress within the same DAW. They may charge a monthly subscription to use it. They could then charge a fee to post Demo productions that music labels could browse online. They could place all sorts of advertising in this section and others that does not have to be overly intrusive. They would be the only game in town where you can work offline, hit Share, and open your entire project to others using the same Pro level DAW. Sounds like a plan to me.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 15:08:53 (permalink)
So far they have a very small team of developers.  The product is already fully mature so all they have to do is small updates.

Paying the salary of 3-4 people (for say a marketing team) is a cost most million dollar companies do, it might look a little different here, but it really isn't.

Supplement this expense with ad-on plugins and instruments and why would it be unreasonable to keep this going?

If they hired 20+ developers it would be a different discussion.  The concept seems viable.

Oh, and they have a tip jar.....  :)  
Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 15:27:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/04/06 17:20:47
New features will absolutely be developed, not just fixes. As I said in my very first post, at BandLab we prefer to under-promise and over-deliver, so I hope we'll continue to bring positive surprises in the future.

The way we operate our group is not like many others, and Cakewalk, like all of our brands, are not isolated projects but integrated ones, which is why our approach is even financially feasible. Our commitment to the world of music as BandLab Technologies extends beyond software and those of you who start to research a little will understand we have many traditional revenue streams within our group and don't just give everything away for free :-)

For those of you who use Cakewalk in a professional context and are looking to whether you should put your time and effort into a platform - you should know that we are committed to all our products and the immense responsibility towards not just the Cakewalk community but the millions who are part of the BandLab community too - we would not dare to take on a project of this nature unless we were confident we would be a good home for it.

Now it sounds a little hard sell, so I'll shut up and get back to working on the product :-)
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 15:32:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lanceindastudio 2018/04/07 06:57:32
In the online world, if you sell a product you will limit your user base but make money direct from sales - if you are successful. That is almost instant revenue. If you give a product away for free you will build a much bigger user base and that gives you power in the market, but it requires more upfront investment and a longer time to recoup that investment. Look at Google, Youtube and Facebook for example. In the early days before they had any ads, everyone was asking, "But how do they make any money when they give this away for free?" They are now some of the biggest companies in terms of revenue, and they still give their services to the end user for free.

The bottom line is that in this new world there are many different ways to make money from a product without selling it directly to the end user. Having a huge user base is always worth a lot of money even if they are not paying you anything. Users, data and content are valuable resources and that value can easily be converted to revenue in many different ways.

Bandlab falls in the same category as Google, Youtube and Facebook and it has the upfront investment to build it over time and sustain it as a free service. The users, data and content will grow over time and thus it's value will grow too as well as its ability to turn that value into revenue.

Cake fits in nicely with what Bandlab is all about. Giving it for free exclusively to Bandlab members (to make content with) will make Bandlab grow. In other words, you have to join Bandlab to get Cake for free, and you have to remain a member of Bandlab to keep using Cake for free, and people will be using Cake to make content that will go on Bandlab. So Cake is a massive asset for Bandlab.

Exactly how Bandlab will turn the value of its users, data and content into revenue, we can only guess at - maybe advertising, maybe something else. They will be able to at least partly fund the continued development of Cake by selling add-ons for it.

Edit: Took me about an hour to post this due to people constantly knocking on my door and turning up all at once. I see that Meng has since replied and given a very good explanation.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 15:36:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/04/06 21:15:24
As I said above, if you google a little or check our NAMM photos and announcements, you'll see we aren't just a software company.

We don't believe in chasing rainbow startup dreams but building solid sustainable businesses. They take longer, but they last longer too :-)
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 17:08:20 (permalink)
Thanks, Meng.  I thought as much since BandLab is much more than it is at first glace.  I just didin't want to assume that revenues from other sources would be used across different branches of product development.  I'm not sure if that is common in the business world, but it would seem a risk to drain/spend monies (or profits) from one source (or product line), that would typically be set aside for the sole purpose of that product's further development, as an investment in another.  I'm ignorant in the field of conglomerate (big) business (no slight intended) practices, but it does look that way from the experiences I had as a customer.  Of course, as you stated, BandLab is unique and your case is reassuring.  I'm just a nervous and twice burned end user.  I sincerely appreciate and respect your endeavors.

Kind regards,

tecknot
ionecake
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 17:54:23 (permalink)
meng
New features will absolutely be developed, not just fixes. As I said in my very first post, at BandLab we prefer to under-promise and over-deliver, so I hope we'll continue to bring positive surprises in the future.

The way we operate our group is not like many others, and Cakewalk, like all of our brands, are not isolated projects but integrated ones, which is why our approach is even financially feasible. Our commitment to the world of music as BandLab Technologies extends beyond software and those of you who start to research a little will understand we have many traditional revenue streams within our group and don't just give everything away for free :-)

For those of you who use Cakewalk in a professional context and are looking to whether you should put your time and effort into a platform - you should know that we are committed to all our products and the immense responsibility towards not just the Cakewalk community but the millions who are part of the BandLab community too - we would not dare to take on a project of this nature unless we were confident we would be a good home for it.

Now it sounds a little hard sell, so I'll shut up and get back to working on the product :-)

meng
As I said above, if you google a little or check our NAMM photos and announcements, you'll see we aren't just a software company.

We don't believe in chasing rainbow startup dreams but building solid sustainable businesses. They take longer, but they last longer too :-)

Thank you, Meng, for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to read this and share your thoughts! This really does sound like a very different business model indeed -- this integrated and almost holistic approach you have mentioned seems very rare in general and from what I can tell is totally unique within the music software market. I've done a little more homework, and I can see some of the other business avenues you appear to have, and I have to say, it's extremely bold of you to operate like this. You have an intriguing vision -- and it's definitely not a typical Western mentality to business IMO. If you are successful long-term (and I do hope that you are!) you have the potential to really change the landscape of music software. Bravo for your guts to do this.

It does seem almost miraculous that you'd back a project/brand in such a manner, with a cross-project revenue model, and I hope your approach works. PLEASE don't go down the path of invasive profile building and selling ad space inside the tools, though! :-) Let the tools you release be refuges of creativity and trust as a clean baseline app, and let us pay for unique plugins/modules/sounds or additional services without constantly being bombarded with marketing. Just crossing fingers that you'll remain classy in the years to come! 

I REALLY like that you are cultivating an attitude of "immense responsibility" towards your communities, and that you wouldn't "dare to take on a project of this nature" without due care. This is definitely confidence-building, and my hope is that when it comes time to write Noel and his team their paychecks you'll have that kind of commitment and passion for many years to come. Because as you know, great developers are not cheap. And great software takes time and resources before it bears fruit. I personally wish you the best. 

I do want to emphasize that there are many former (and current) Cakewalk users (and DAW users in general) that take that kind of commitment and attitude very seriously, and if you are going to make the world a better place with your ambitious and good-hearted plans, you'll need their added passion and trust to combine with your own. A lot of older-gen folks (some of us are long-time pros) rank trust, stability, reliability (and how that translates into bugfixes, professional features, consistent quality control), as very, very important. You're out on the cutting edge of business models for DAWs, so it's unknown territory where you'll be taking our beloved music-making tools. Just because Cakewalk is now "free" I hope you never sacrifice the core values of trust, stability and reliability.

Again, giant kudos to you for your guts to literally forge a new path in this overall DAW market/community. If you maintain this genuine passion, I believe you can make a lot of good things happen.

Regards,
ionecake
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 19:55:37 (permalink)
ionecake

Why is this important for some of us to know? Well, IMO, if someone installs a DAW, they may or may not realize this, but they are installing a product that is a long-term commitment. The musician/producer is forming a long-term relationship with his toolset. When you start writing or recording something so personal as music in a DAW, those projects can go on for years and years, and the tools we use are the creative extension of our minds and hearts. 

Congrats to Meng and his team, and warmest well-wishes to Noel as he starts this new journey!

This is so true, it's a longterm relationship between the user and his DAW. The one who has found the right tool to  reach his creative flow is a happy musician. Besides the capability to handle different tasks.

Special thanks to Meng for clarifying his perspective on his business and for patience and engagement for transparency and a smooth transition for an doubtful user like me 

Cheers 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 23:12:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Piotr 2018/04/06 23:35:29
Doesn't matter. Anything that happens now is a bonus.
Go make sounds.
James Argo
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 23:20:53 (permalink)
Small minds think profit. Big minds think benefit. Takes big mind to understand the way BandLab choose to do.

Cakewalk by BandLab!
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 23:31:31 (permalink)
meng
Cakewalk, like all of our brands, are not isolated projects but integrated ones, which is why our approach is even financially feasible.

ionecake, I believe the answer to your question lies somewhere inside the rather cryptic line I quoted above.  How can Twitter, Snapchat, or Facebook be free?  Their business models depend on ancillary revenue, much of which is to raise the visibility of items within their ecosystem -- iow, advertising.

The financial feasibility Meng refers to will come from ancillary revenues.  There could be add-on products and services that are fee-based.  There can be fees (advertising charges) to promote the music published through the system.  There can be hardware sales associated with their software.

This only works if the numbers are big enough, and taking a critical mass of the market.  There was no way SONAR was ever going to get numbers like that.  The idea, therefore, is to promote the "free DAW"as part of the overall value proposition to reach the critical mass of users.  If Cakewalk had tens of thousands of active users, Bandlab could aspire to millions of users.  They won't all use the full DAW, but it is part of the package for those who want to use it.

We can debate whether it is practical to reach millions of users (and that is my number, not Meng's).  But I think that is the concept.  And it helps that there is an existing business and funding to sustain this effort over several years as Bandlab tries to build that critical mass.

Personally, I think it is something of a long shot, but I am very impressed by the ambition and the effort so far.  I hope it pays off bigly for Bandlab and Meng.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
ionecake
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 23:43:15 (permalink)
bitman
Doesn't matter. Anything that happens now is a bonus.
Go make sounds.

Hi Bitman, as for it being a "bonus" I agree with you on that, especially for people who hit the end of the line with Gibson when it looked like Cakewalk was dead. And I also think it's great advice for folks to "go make sounds." :-) But also, going forward, I think it does matter. At least to some of us. HOW Meng proceeds, and WHAT he turns Cakewalk into is important, because the direction and longevity of the toolset (i.e. Cakewalk) matters to the artists who use it. Again, to some of us. He's definitely clarified the direction, and I appreciate his candor and response. It's a great first step.

ionecake
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/06 23:50:22 (permalink)
cparmerlee
meng
Cakewalk, like all of our brands, are not isolated projects but integrated ones, which is why our approach is even financially feasible.

ionecake, I believe the answer to your question lies somewhere inside the rather cryptic line I quoted above. 

Agreed completely, that's the key, his "integrated" approach. Also agree it will likely depend on large numbers of people who use the platform. How that evolves and pans out in the years to come, we'll see, but I also agree it seems most likely that revenue will come with add-on products and services. I just hope that he doesn't get tempted to go the pathway of invasive profile model and ad revenue model like the the social media companies you mentioned. 

LANEY
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/07 00:30:52 (permalink)
Hey, you can always tip them.  I would do a big one! ;)

i7/16GB ram
Win 7 x64
SONAR Platinum Producer x64
VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture and VS-100 for live recording
Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/07 06:38:54 (permalink)
meng

Will you ever sell stocks? I don't have much money, but I would seriously love to invest in Bandlab! :)
Your vision, creativity and hard work I believe, God willing, will achieve great things.
I've never bought stocks before, but I'd sign up to buy Bandlab stocks! :)
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/07 07:00:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Daibhidh 2018/04/07 07:17:52
meng

In the states, we say "You da man" if you are an admirable person. I would like to pass that on to you sir by saying,
You da Meng!

Cheers!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/07 21:52:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ch.huey 2018/04/09 18:20:37
BandLab was interested in Cakewalk and Sonar for some time. It wasn't like they just woke up one day and said "hey, it's Tuesday! Let's buy a DAW!" I really think they bought Cakewalk's IP because they see it as being an important part of the company's future.

I wish all of you could have met Meng at NAMM, as I did. The guy is smart, positive, and driven. And as we've found out from his forum participation, attentive. It wouldn't surprise me if CbB goes in a non-traditional direction going forward, and shakes up the industry in the process. I really don't see that CbB being free will put others out of business as much as grow the overall music business.

I always said in the past I was on the sidelines at Cakewalk but helped wherever I could, and I remain on the sidelines now - it's a low-stress place to be :)  So that gives me the luxury to speculate without the burden of knowing much insider information. My hunch is that the industry is going to be pleasantly surprised at how this all turns out.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ionecake
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/08 00:46:19 (permalink)
Thanks, Craig! Glad to hear your positive impressions of Meng! Reassuring. He seems like a great guy indeed, and maybe even a bit visionary if he can pull off his ambitious goals!

I hope you're right about the overall pleasant surprise we're all in for. I'm not saying I'm skeptical, but I am going to take my time to see how things evolve. He's executing a unique business model and for me, a DAW's long-term stability and progression is very important. If I'm going to invest my time and creativity to building my music in it, I want to know if it's going to be around for a while, and more or less what I can expect (while also understanding market pressures and changes can sometimes be unpredictable). How Meng eventually evolves Cakewalk matters -- if he goes the direction of profile building or ad revenue, for example, it will be a huge turn-off. Likewise if he sacrifices stability and bugfixing, or decides to no longer invest resources for professional users, it will be a problem for me personally. But if Meng follows through with the passion he's talked about (and I have no reason to believe otherwise at this point), then he has the potential to have a huge impact on the industry.

However, I do think that other DAWs in the lower-price category are in for a rough ride though. They'll have to come up with a value proposition that convinces people to spend money vs. just using a very powerful, free alternative in Cakewalk. 

BTW, I did see that you posted in some other thread or forum about the idea that you think that DAW users are going to adopt more DAWs in their workflow, and that other DAWs are going to start specializing again, after a long period of convergence. Correct me if I'm wrong. Very fascinating. Can you elaborate more on that, and how you think Cakewalk will evolve? I know you can't divulge inside information, but you obviously have a basis for your theory, would love to know more. I think it's very relevant to this thread, and also the general idea of changes in the DAW market overall, especially re: Cakewalk. Maybe Meng's approach is the tip of the iceberg?
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/08 02:26:19 (permalink)
Lanceindastudio

You da Meng!

Cheers!

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/08 05:46:49 (permalink)
ionecake
BTW, I did see that you posted in some other thread or forum about the idea that you think that DAW users are going to adopt more DAWs in their workflow, and that other DAWs are going to start specializing again, after a long period of convergence. Correct me if I'm wrong. Very fascinating. Can you elaborate more on that, and how you think Cakewalk will evolve? I know you can't divulge inside information, but you obviously have a basis for your theory, would love to know more. I think it's very relevant to this thread, and also the general idea of changes in the DAW market overall, especially re: Cakewalk. Maybe Meng's approach is the tip of the iceberg?

I'm privy to a lot of information, and the reason why is because I don't leak it . Anyone who's been following my posts over the years probably knows that I've been using Sonar for tracking, Studio One for mastering, and Live for live performance ever since each one of them was at version 1.0. If found them uniquely qualified for those particular tasks.

I've also been conversant with Cubase, Pro Tools, Mixcraft, Samplitude, Logic, Reason, and Digital Performer. I'm currently writing a series of books for Hal Leonard so I'm getting deeper into them. What I'm finding is that it's really not that hard to learn multiple programs, and that they have particular attributes that make them well-suited for particular projects. As the developers continue implementing their visions of where their programs could go, I think we'll see greater differentiation, not less. I don't know what the roadmap is for Cakewalk, but I can certainly imagine one that would be unique, make a lot of sense, keep the existing users happy, and bring in more newcomers. I'm hoping that's the direction it takes.

But other DAWs are pursuing their own directions, and I suspect their priorities are not Cakewalk's. I can easily see myself deciding which program to use as I start thinking about a project...not that different from starting a song on keyboard, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, or a vocal line.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ionecake
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/08 13:00:16 (permalink)
Thanks for your thoughts, Craig! I agree that each DAW has certain strengths, and it will be very fascinating to watch this new chapter in Cakewalk's history and how the larger DAW community evolves! Wishing the best for Meng, Noel, and the rest of the team!

Also, BTW, I noticed you have been posting Studio One articles on the Presonus blog since what we thought was the death of Cakewalk -- but now that Cakewalk is back in action, are you turning back to Cakewalk as your main DAW? You seem to have been much more Cakewalk-centric in recent years (I know you have been working with many DAWs of course), but wondering if things have changed for you with all that has happened? Cakewalk could use your enthusiasm and energy like before!
HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/09 05:29:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2018/04/09 06:43:50
Anderton
But other DAWs are pursuing their own directions, and I suspect their priorities are not Cakewalk's. I can easily see myself deciding which program to use as I start thinking about a project...not that different from starting a song on keyboard, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, or a vocal line.

That's where I'm at now.  Since I learned of Cakewalk's demise, I purchased both Studio One and Cubase through their competitive crossgrade offers.  Each DAW I've worked with has its own strengths and weaknesses.  The score editor in Cubase is superb, making it a natural choice for orchestral work.  The project workflow in Studio One is unbeatable for mixing and mastering.  And of course the DAW previously known as Sonar is still awesome for everything else, and by far what I'm most comfortable with.  There's no doubt I'll find uses for each of them, even though Cakewalk is once again the central part of my studio.  

All in all, life is good. :)

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
some-guy
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/04/13 02:27:01 (permalink)
They can make money off their purchase of cakewalk they just need to keep their customer base happy and content. Happy people spend money. There is also the numbers game that I liken to when I purchase an app or a game for a dollar, the first thought is there no money in making apps, but when 50 million people buy it all of the sudden a little money turn into a lot.

Off topic, but it seems like just the other day I sent off an email questioning the truth behind lifetime updates. The response took 4 months to receive and it essentially said read our post. I was like WOW that took 4 months. That was the post that was sent out stating how invigorated the staff was, and how motivated they were, and how they promised to stay Sonar.

Regardless I am hopeful that this works out. I have spent years fighting off the people telling me I needed the industry standard, and nothing compares to x and that I can't make crap with an amateur DAW. Now I can say try it it will cost you nothing but your time.
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/07/27 05:50:06 (permalink)
Cakewalk by Bandlab needs its own non proprietary (with proprietary features) audio interface and mic system. Also ads on the forum would generate some revenue. Cakewalk needs to be "socially" integrated with Bandlab online and viewed as a social network.

People go to Facebook for news and the would more likely come to Bandlab for music creation and music tech info.

Hooking people socially though Cakewalk would be nice, Cakewalk could notify you when friends come online not through an audio beep but through a news feed which scrolls with ads. You can glance at it every once in a while, when editing.

An instant messenger built into Cakewalk would be nice too.

Advertisers could sell hardware though a Cakewalk feed.

It does not have to be invasive it can be tailored to your needs.

Like, please watch this ad before you delete this track would be invasive but your guitar player just signed in would be helpful... You have X number of fans online viewing your editing or waiting for your new song release would be helpful.

Cakewalk could have an OBS style studio built in so fans could watch you streaming during the creative process online. Much like Twitch is for gaming Cakewalk could have viewers watching the creative process of making music.

Hardware made to accomplish this streaming would take the headache out of setups and integration with Windows. 

Like the Xbox for musicians, Cakebox by Bandlab. :)
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/07/27 06:47:05 (permalink)
RexRed

People go to Facebook for news and the would more likely come to Bandlab for music creation and music tech info.

Hooking people socially though Cakewalk would be nice, Cakewalk could notify you when friends come online not through an audio beep but through a news feed which scrolls with ads. You can glance at it every once in a while, when editing.

An instant messenger built into Cakewalk would be nice too.

Advertisers could sell hardware though a Cakewalk feed.

It does not have to be invasive it can be tailored to your needs.

Like, please watch this ad before you delete this track would be invasive but your guitar player just signed in would be helpful... You have X number of fans online viewing your editing or waiting for your new song release would be helpful.

I can't think of anything worse. There are enough distractions already when I'm trying to get some music recorded.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Long-term Cakewalk and BandLab solvency - a.k.a. How will Cakewalk make money now? 2018/07/27 09:25:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2018/07/27 13:37:21
yeah i'm with james here, the "social" side of it to me seems like working in ones own office for years and then being forced to work in an open plan office - no thanks! chat messenger built into the daw?? why not just use one of a zillion already-existing chat clients?
You have X number of fans online viewing your editing or waiting for your new song release would be helpful.
no pressure then! has nobody read all the accounts of how difficult it is to record/mix when the control room is full of the bands entourage??
/fwiw/ymmv

just a sec

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1