Update to BandLab?

Author
LENovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2018/04/07 14:11:11 (permalink)

Update to BandLab?

I'm currently using Sonar X3.  I'm not looking for complications. I assume if I update to the new BandLab, all (or most) of the software add-ons that came with X3 will be loaded on this Platinum type platform. Can anyone tell me why I WOULD  want to do this. Ie, what else would this have, other than what I have with X3? If it had better/easier to use effects or mastering tools, I guess that might be worth it
Thanks.
LNovik

20 Replies Related Threads

LENovik
    To update or not 2018/04/07 16:34:30 (permalink)
    I'm currently using Sonar X3.  I'm not looking for complications. I assume if I update to the new BandLab, all (or most) of the software add-ons that came with X3 will be loaded onto this Platinum type platform. Can anyone tell me why I WOULD  want to do this? Ie, what else would this have, other than what I have with X3? If it had better/easier to use effects or mastering tools, I guess that might be worth it.
    Thanks.
    LNovik
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 16:42:03 (permalink)
    Joined with your previous thread.
    Why? Free bug fixes and features
    If you want to see what you missed in the last four years feel free to visit here. Ignore the content and new plug-insl read about the changes to the DAW. Browse the SONAR help page and new Cakewalk product page.
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:18:26 (permalink)
    LENovik
    I'm currently using Sonar X3.  I'm not looking for complications. I assume if I update to the new BandLab, all (or most) of the software add-ons that came with X3 will be loaded onto this Platinum type platform. Can anyone tell me why I WOULD  want to do this? Ie, what else would this have, other than what I have with X3? If it had better/easier to use effects or mastering tools, I guess that might be worth it.
    Thanks.
    LNovik

Better have a look at this post. Neil had X3 get really messed up by the CbB install.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3746771

Also see my post right after that one for a safe way to check it out.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    LENovik
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:24:46 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks, Scook. I DID hit the "here" button link you furnished. I assume you mean to scroll all the way thru the many pages of the sequential updates--from recent to 2015. I do see there were many, though I didn't see anything prior to  2015, which is only 3 years ago, not 4. I wonder if there was anything different when Platinum first came out.
    However, my main question is about these updates. I seem to have read that many of these 3rd party add-on will NOT be included with the current free version of Bandlab Platinum. FOr instance, as I read about some software that might be valuable, I saw:1)
    Mastering Templates;  August 2015; Get more out of SONAR's Start Screen with six brand new Mastering Templates that master your mix in seconds. 
     2)Les Paul Gold Top Expansion Pack
     3) Vocal sync-this one I'm especially interested in
    Will these types of additions be included in the new version.
    PS: Thanks. Sorry I sent the initial question several times; I hadn't realized it had gone thru.
    LNovik
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:31:38 (permalink)
    Yes, his is a pretty exceptional story. I do not have many 32bit plug-ins, most came with SONAR. I have tested X2 through Platinum and they seem to work OK but I am on Win10 and that may be why. I do not have PC with an old OS handy.

That said, CbB is not an update, it is a new product/upgrade. It installs in a similar fashion to all previous SONAR upgrades. All the old Cakewalk DAWs have shared utilities, DX and MFX plug-ins. CbB shares these in common with those DAWs. These are overwritten with every upgrade and sometimes with an update. This why users have always been cautioned about deleting old versions. Uninstalling old versions could remove software needed for the current version to work. That caution still applies. Moreover removing the most recent version definitely removes shared programs and libraries.
    Westside Steve Simmons
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:32:02 (permalink)
    So I'm downloading cake as we speak. Downloaded the assistant and Windows 10 Defender didn't want to run it but I told him it was okay.
    WSS
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:38:18 (permalink)
    Look, if you are happy with X3 you can run it until it no longer works. There is one very strong reason to do so: you know how to use it. A new DAW is going to require that you learn how to use new commands and features, and that will definitely cut into the finite time you have to make music. X3 will do pretty much everything most users need to do to make music.

That said, X3 is no longer supported, so it is likely that at some point it will run into conflicts with operating system updates, and it may well be difficult to find a replacement machine that will continue to run your old software as time passes. It may also become useful in the future to use new hardware that is not compatible with old software. If you discover a use for anything much newer, you will have to upgrade to use it. So future-proofing is one good reason to add a second DAW to your arsenal.And right now you may find that a newer DAW will have something useful that you had not even considered before.

The second big reason for not upgrading, the price of upgrading after skipping a couple of versions, is now gone. It is remarkable hard to beat free as a price point. 
    Westside Steve Simmons
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 18:46:45 (permalink)
    Okay. That was pretty simple.

WSS
    brandonc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 20:20:44 (permalink)
    I come from X3 Producer as well. CbB has MANY features X3 does not!!! I also believe ( I could be wrong ) Cakewalk reworked the audio engine for Platinum. LENovik, CbB is much snappier, and more responsive (mouse movements etc.) than X3. 
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 20:31:20 (permalink)
    In the end in the case of X3. Like me you will always have that version available to install as long as there is a OS that will run it. There is no danger in messing it up by installing CbB
    So personally I'm not going to worry about what might happen to my older versions because I will probably never open them again anyways. 
    There are many improvements to the new versions and if you use MIDI and the PRV your're really short changing yourself by not upgrading. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

brandonc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/07 20:38:52 (permalink)
    YES!!YES!!YES!! I forgot to mention the AWESOME NEW MIDI & PRV IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!!!
    LENovik
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 11:30:58 (permalink)
    I have read and reread Scook's reply--as well as the others that followed it--but still don't see an answer to the main question I had posed. I DO realize that any plug ins or other virtual effects/synths I already had would NOT be removed by  installing this new software (as long as I don't uninstal X3.) However, as some of the other participants have said, it might take a while to learn this new software, and it's true that time is very scarce for me (I'm not dying, I just have an unrelated job that takes a lot of time.) However, if this new version had most of the content that I saw has been added to Platinum over the past few years, it would prob be worthwhile. As I had said, that Vocal SYnc, which, I believe, would help me align vocal tracks when I sing two versions of the same song to get my scrawny little voice to sound more full---that would be probably be worth the time in updating alone. However, as I had said, I thought I saw somewhere that some of these 3rd party software updates were NOT going to be included with this free version. I realize that there are multiple other technical aspects of this new version which do appear to be much better, but it would be nice to know beforehand what will and will not be included.
    Thanks again for your time.
    LNovik
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 15:07:04 (permalink)
    Yes, coming from X3 there will be a little bit of a learning curve because you're going to get new features that weren't in X3. A small price to pay for a free upgrade!

Meanwhile, X3 will continue to work just fine, so you can finish up any works in progress with the version you're most comfortable with and ease into CbB. That's how I coped with the change when I went from 8.5 to SPlat, a much bigger jump than X3 -> SPlat. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    LENovik
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 19:21:45 (permalink)
    From the replies, my guess is that perhaps some people are not sure which 3rd party programs are included, and which are not--which is why my question does not seem to be answered.
    I went back to the original announcement by BandLab a few weeks ago, and they said: The big news is a business model change that is only possible because of our ecosystem – we’re releasing the entire feature set of SONAR Platinum (sans certain 3rd party plugins and content) in its new form of Cakewalk by BandLab completely free.
    So, I still have this main question: when I look at all the 3rd party updates in Platinum in the past 3 years, such as 1)Vocal Sync and 2)mastering tools, Wwitten as "six brand new Mastering Templates that master your mix in seconds." and 3)Les Paul Gold Top Expansion Pack---are these some of the 3rd party plugins that will or will not be included? ALso, is this software free to everyone, or just those updating from other Cakewalk versions.
    Thanks.
    LNovik
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 20:11:50 (permalink)
    What BandLab has released so far is similar to the SONAR Platinum and Artist Instrument Collection installers. The two BandLab installers are Cakewalk.exe and Instrument.exe
    1) VocalSync is built into the DAW and is part of CbB now.
    2) CbB includes the 6 project templates that were in SONAR installer. These are not the 6 Mastering templates added later. The mastering templates were in a different installer. Since you are coming from X3, when BandLab does port the new LP EQ, LP MB and Adaptive Limiter, you may not get those for free. The plug-ins are not available from them at this time. so I can't say for sure.
    3) That was a separate installer so it has not been released yet.
    The rest of the SONAR plug-ins  and content need to be ported before they will be available from BandLab.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 21:42:06 (permalink)
    Not sure if this was mentioned for the OP, but aux tracks made cwp files not backwards compatible. I have not seen if this was ever changed, but may have been. What this could mean is if you use them and revert to X3 that those cwp files will not open.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    LENovik
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/08 21:50:25 (permalink)
    Thanks. That's clearer.
    LNovik
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/09 20:37:54 (permalink)
    I have only x3e and then I scored the free copy of the new Home Studio. 
    I jumped on the CbB right away. 
    For me there has been no noticable differance between HS and Bandlab version other than some better features. Most I'll never use, but cool,, they are free. 
    It's been nice to have been given both these new versions free,, I recommend just installing it and that will answer your question right away. And I have opened X3e a few times since and nothing seems broken. 
    And CWP files from Home Studio seems to open in X3e. Haven't tried any Bandlab stuff yet but will just to test when I get a minute. 

The coolest thing so far is the this fancy Pro Channel comes with a lot more than it did in HS. That has made it worth it alone. Didn't like the new PVR darkness but scook posted how to fix that somewhere here. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/09 20:43:52 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    Didn't like the new PVR darkness but scook posted how to fix that somewhere here. 

The fix I provided only works for Platinum users. For those coming from other versions, it might be easier to switch to the Mercury theme. It looks and works like the X3 UI. When the new theme editor is released there may be more options.
    Stringrazor1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 579
    Re: To update or not 2018/04/09 20:46:22 (permalink)
    I updated Cakewalk products for decades but stopped at X3P (also have 8.5p installed). I installed CbB the other day and it happily picked up all my VSTs from previous packages.  8.5p, X3p, & CbB are all now co-installed on my DAW with no issues.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1