Helpful ReplyWorried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe

Author
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
2018/04/09 21:34:06 (permalink)

Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe

Is it a day, a week, at least a month, whatever. Some idea would be a comfort for those in my position. If it's a "we do not know thing," that kind of stinks. I need a clean install and will need to re install all the extras so I will need CCC.

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 00:11:35 (permalink)
stratman70
Is it a day, a week, at least a month, whatever. Some idea would be a comfort for those in my position. If it's a "we do not know thing," that kind of stinks. I need a clean install and will need to re install all the extras so I will need CCC.

I never needed Command Center.  They have individual installers for all the packages

i.e. main program, boutique effects, core plugins, studio instruments, etc).  

The only question is authorization on the servers, Command Center was never a requirement.  
stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 01:27:17 (permalink)
Brian Walton
stratman70

I never needed Command Center.  They have individual installers for all the packages

i.e. main program, boutique effects, core plugins, studio instruments, etc).  

The only question is authorization on the servers, Command Center was never a requirement.  

I meant authorization. I have everything saved, always have...........What I mean is I start to do this then before I finish they announce some interruption for whatever reason. For something like authorization I think a set date would be nice. Plan for it, so we can plan for it.....I know they are doing all this other stuff. Fine, give us a date.

stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 03:36:58 (permalink)
So I guess I am the only one worried about this. Ok, that's Cool! For now the only info we have and I quote Noel:
"For now Command Center is still active so there is no problem." Yes for now.....

tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 08:05:34 (permalink)
You are not alone but I am not super worried about it. I am, like you, likely to have to do a clean install soon since I will get a new computer and would like to be able to install the full version of Sonar again. If I can't becaue the servers are down I will have to go with CbB version, not what I prefer atm but I can live with it. 

I don't know the ins and outs of the hosting of those auth servers but wouldn't be that hard to say something like "they will be up atleast until the end of xxx" or whatever. 

The answers so far in other threads indicate to me there is no immediate shutdown planned, so that is the assumption I am going with, knowing full well things can change. And if they do, hey its not teh end of the world for me really. New version seems to work fine.
stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 14:30:47 (permalink)
Yes I will do the same. Not much choice. But so easy to set a date or an idea of a date. The way the info is floated around it could be tomorrow. Maybe that's the idea, so we cannot have our paid for plugs and need to buy more. Just sayin. 

Some people seem to forget that this is a business, not some guys doing all of us a favor. 

chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 17:20:52 (permalink)
There's a computer migration from 32-bit to 64-bit before me, but that won't happen in the nearest future. That's one concern. If the servers go down I won't be able to go back to some my favorite features from Sonar Platinum, unless they will add all of them in Bandlabs future versions, so here's my next concern. And after servers down for legacy software (Platinum) if I'll be forced to reinstall my system anytime in future, I may not be able to unlock some of those features back in the new Cakewalk. Concerns again. I will have no problem working in Bandlab's Cakewalk, but once they are done, I'm done too. That's yet another concern. No way back after that, no safety valve as Platinum's activation code saved on disk or in email. The future's uncertain. Concerns, concerns, concerns... Moving on to another DAW? Possible, but I like Cakewalk so much, always liked.
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 18:46:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby berlymahn 2018/04/10 19:31:24
If you have been paying attention we have been told that there is no plan to ever shut down the servers that allow older Cakewalk products to be authorized.
Bandlab and Noel have stated this over and over and you might have missed this. There are just a very few negative people who refuse to believe this. Must be smoking that stuff makes them paraniod. 
Why would Bandlab bother to kill the servers? If anything happens it will be they will change the physical location but I doubt if they will kill CCC.  They need our loyalty to succeed and are well aware of the negative impact of ticking us off. 
CCC will just slowly become old software and will fade with time as very few poeple will be at all interested in using the old versions. It is why one must move forward. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 19:12:35 (permalink)
Of course I have been  paying attention. I quoted Noel. Did you see that?

Here, I'll do it again.

"For now Command Center is still active so there is no problem." 

For now?

berlymahn
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 19:34:56 (permalink)
Well......if they decide to change something.... I hope they give an activation work around.  I run the latest version of Platinum (offline machine / lifetime member), and everything things runs swimmingly well. No need to change a thing. My only concern is a machine failure and having to reactivate the product, and then running into a suprise.

Will be watching. :D

Jim Wim  
On Soundcloud as: Dammit Eugene / Scenic Mental Detours / Narrow Now
https://soundcloud.com/dammit-eugene/tracks
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 19:35:10 (permalink)
A date for what?
I'm not getting what's worrying the OP.
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 21:19:40 (permalink)
sock monkey
If you have been paying attention we have been told that there is no plan to ever shut down the servers that allow older Cakewalk products to be authorized.
Bandlab and Noel have stated this over and over and you might have missed this. There are just a very few negative people who refuse to believe this. Must be smoking that stuff makes them paraniod. 
Why would Bandlab bother to kill the servers? If anything happens it will be they will change the physical location but I doubt if they will kill CCC.  They need our loyalty to succeed and are well aware of the negative impact of ticking us off. 
CCC will just slowly become old software and will fade with time as very few poeple will be at all interested in using the old versions. It is why one must move forward. 

Here (first Noel's post):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3746653

"Currently the old customer database is still active and so will activate through command center. Its not sure how long this will stay active so you should transition over to the CbB version as soon as possible..."

and here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3747234

"[...] And regarding my earlier statement about unlocking back in Dec it was made solely in the context of the company going under permanently with no transition - which is not what transpired, fortunately for us all."
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 21:29:45 (permalink)
I wasn't really worried about this until yesterday. I launched Sonar and out of the blue got a popup message urging me to launch CCC to verify my account. This has never happened before.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/10 22:11:18 (permalink)
Windows 10 updates have been known to put Sonar in demo mode and one of the reasons many were legitimately worried about the situation back in Nov. through Feb. 

Myself made a back up on a W7 and a W8.1 computer so that would not happen. 

Now I'm not at all worried and you can be paranoid if you so choose too be,  but I think very few of us are worried at this point. Everything Meng has answered about these issues has been over and above most of my expectations on what would happen.  If I am wrong it will be a long time before my copies of Sonar stop working. And I always have X3e. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 03:43:19 (permalink)
@ Cactus
I am on Windows 8.1x64 and staying there. But I do need to  re do all, with a fresh Win 8.1x64. I really don't see why "actually planning ahead" as in a date is so far out of the question. But I will cease, obviously  I don't feel the level of comfort that many of you do.
Yes I live my life in a state of paranoia........................ 

tobiaslindahl
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 07:08:46 (permalink)
stratman70
@ Cactus
I am on Windows 8.1x64 and staying there. But I do need to  re do all, with a fresh Win 8.1x64. I really don't see why "actually planning ahead" as in a date is so far out of the question. But I will cease, obviously  I don't feel the level of comfort that many of you do.
Yes I live my life in a state of paranoia........................ 

A bit off topic, but why staying on win 8.1 ?  Windows 10 really is a great OS and far superior to 8.1. I think you could benefit from windows 10 in terms of stability and performance. Then again you might have valid reasons, just curious :)  
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 11:50:04 (permalink)
Well I'm on Win 7 and staying there for the foreseeable future as there no Win 10 drivers for my interface

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 12:18:16 (permalink)
I had the same worry about drivers back when they offered Win10 for free. My device with no win10 drivers has been rock solid on 10.

Of course it would be a pain if it didn't work and you had to reinstall 7. Just throwing it out there that a lack of updated driver might not be an issue at all.
tobiaslindahl
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 13:03:02 (permalink)
Brian Walton
I had the same worry about drivers back when they offered Win10 for free. My device with no win10 drivers has been rock solid on 10.

Of course it would be a pain if it didn't work and you had to reinstall 7. Just throwing it out there that a lack of updated driver might not be an issue at all.

Yea the backward compatibility in win10 is not bad. 
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 13:17:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wetdentist 2018/04/11 14:08:58
stratman70
Some people seem to forget that this is a business, not some guys doing all of us a favor. 

In the case of electronic activation of SPLAT etc. its all about doing a people a favor. There is no business here, just costs. Cakewalk Inc. has apparently evaporated, along with your license and contract. It's a pity you don't see the favor BandLab is doing you. 

We are at the moment on the edge of WW3, an EMP attack will fry the servers ... now there something real to worry about. 
mkngplns4nigel
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 13:26:46 (permalink)
Just a few days ago, I downloaded all of my products without a hitch on a new(er) PC. If nothing else, I believe that for the nonce, were good. There may or may not be down time; I personally don't see them alienating the loyal Cake customer base. That's just not good business. Just my $0.22.

Don't you know that it's different for girls?

msi, corei5 6400, 8GB Ram, HD 1.5 TB
SPlat, Cakewalk by Band Lab, Sony Acid, AmpliTube 4, Line 6 Pod Studio, Line 6 300 HD, Steinberg/Yamaha CI2, a dozen guitars, Yamaha keyboards, Alesis DM6 Drum Kit

stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 14:06:35 (permalink)
tobiaslindahl

A bit off topic, but why staying on win 8.1 ?  Windows 10 really is a great OS and far superior to 8.1. I think you could benefit from windows 10 in terms of stability and performance. Then again you might have valid reasons, just curious :)  

Because I have ZERO issues with Win 8.1x64, nothing calls home, ever. I have it locked down real tight. My new install will also. You know, if it ain't broke!
jpetersen
A date for what?
I'm not getting what's worrying the OP.

Well kind of like, We will be looking at a date sometime in early June to transition (or end) the CW Authorizations. This should give everyone ample time to to do what they need to do. NOT those words but that Scenario. Servers

stratman70
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 14:13:58 (permalink)
iRelevant
stratman70

In the case of electronic activation of SPLAT etc. its all about doing a people a favor. There is no business here, just costs. Cakewalk Inc. has apparently evaporated, along with your license and contract. It's a pity you don't see the favor BandLab is doing you. 

We are at the moment on the edge of WW3, an EMP attack will fry the servers ... now there something real to worry about. 

Doing us a favor? Really? Just out of the kindness of their hearts..............Get real please..CW is a product and we are the customers........Plain and simple. That's just the way it is. 

I would rather worry about this than doomsday scenarios. Because then who cares about anything...........

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 15:06:56 (permalink)
Why don't you just transition to BL?  It's free, and it will do everything SONAR did, as well as be updated.  Someday the severs for CW will be shut down.  No one has any idea when, so why not assume it will be today and start your transition?  Life will be easier.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 16:06:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/04/11 16:08:40
stratman70
iRelevant
stratman70

Doing us a favor? Really? Just out of the kindness of their hearts..............Get real please..CW is a product and we are the customers........Plain and simple. That's just the way it is. 

I would rather worry about this than doomsday scenarios. Because then who cares about anything...........

Could be out of the kindness of their hearts, who knows. I didn't pay BandLab anything for SPLAT, did you ?
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 16:15:12 (permalink)
Try not to worry about things out of your control...

All software on a moving platform is subject to failure.  Take precautions, disk clone/backup and create.  All DAWs will die someday, this I'm sure of.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 16:19:11 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
Well I'm on Win 7 and staying there for the foreseeable future as there no Win 10 drivers for my interface

hey jonesy, focusrite say the 26 is win10 compatible: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206849319-Windows-10-Compatibility

just a sec

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Worried about Sonar and CCC? I mean we have NO IDEA as to a timeframe 2018/04/11 16:38:40 (permalink)
As I said I installed the latest version of Splat  on  every computer at home and even one at work. 
Those are running W7, W 8.1 and most W10. 
There is a performance differance that make W10 the winner if you have that option. 

I only stay with W7 on 2 laptops because laptops do not like upgades. 

I rolled back from W10 to W 8.1 on my studio DAW back in Dec after installing a new SSD  C drive and a fresh install of everything. The reason back then was W8.1 will not perform destructive updates like W10 does so less chance of it trashing Splat. That DAW is kept off line as well. I figured it will run as is for 5 -10 years. I'll be 75 years old! 
I have put that machine aside for now and transfered it's licences to a W7 Laptop set up that I will be using remotely. 

The other active DAW is my off the self HP desktop runing W10 and is always on line. 
It's not in the studio space but in our family room and I can work on stuff while being closer to my wife. I really notice the speed differance when I switch to the laptop. But it's of course an i5 and the HP is a i7.

So W 10 was a danger to Splat and still might be, But with the CbB version I am no longer worried at all. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1