Helpful ReplyIs this possible... Can anyone help?

Author
PJH
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
2018/04/10 14:19:04 (permalink)

Is this possible... Can anyone help?

I'd like to be able to apply a short crossfade to multiple clips along the timeline. Is this possible? It would be a huge saving in time when I have a lot of short clips (such as slip editing when tightening drums).

At the moment it's a case of grouping all the tracks and then applying a short crossfade to that particular clip. Once done I move onto the next etc etc. Extremely time consuming.

If anyone can tell if this is possible and how to do it, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 15:18:52 (permalink)
Hi PJH,

Use Group Clips (in favor of grouping/linking tracks).

Kind regards,

tecknot
PJH
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 15:45:46 (permalink)
tecknot
Hi PJH,

Use Group Clips (in favor of grouping/linking tracks).

Kind regards,

tecknot

I'm not sure that I'm understanding. Are you suggesting that I create  a selection group from selected clips?
If so I've tried that but it won't apply a crossfade to all the clips in the group. It only does one at a time.
tecknot
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 16:08:12 (permalink)
Yes, "Create selection group from selected clips."  Not from where I am sitting even with clips that end at different times.  Actually, you don't even have to group the clips.  Just have the desired clips (or all clips audio and MIDI, but only affects audio) selected/highlighted.

Kind regards,

tecknot
PJH
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 17:25:16 (permalink)
tecknot
Yes, "Create selection group from selected clips."  Not from where I am sitting even with clips that end at different times.  Actually, you don't even have to group the clips.  Just have the desired clips (or all clips audio and MIDI, but only affects audio) selected/highlighted.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Ok, thats what I thought you meant. It doesn't work though. I selected all the clips and as soon as I try to apply a crossfade, the only clip that responds is the one that I'm working on.

Have you actually tried this on your system? I'd really like to know. If it works on yours then there's obviously something wrong on my side.

Thanks.
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 19:09:25 (permalink)
If you select multiple clips and hold the shift or cntrl (i forget which) while dragging the edge of a clip over another one they will all move and as they overlap with an adjoining clip a cross fade will be made.  You can also go to the menu in track view and find a cross fade clips command which should do it as well.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Arranging.62.html

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
thornton
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 19:57:59 (permalink)
Select all tracks that u want to move to create the crossfade.
You have to hold the control key to keep them all selected
tecknot
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/10 21:38:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Faza_TCM 2018/04/11 17:43:21
PJH
Ok, thats what I thought you meant. It doesn't work though. I selected all the clips and as soon as I try to apply a crossfade, the only clip that responds is the one that I'm working on.

Have you actually tried this on your system? I'd really like to know. If it works on yours then there's obviously something wrong on my side.

Thanks.

Gee, PJH, I have done it in both SONAR and CbB.  All you have to do is just select all track (if you want to edit all tracks of course) and while the (audio) clips are all highlighted (with NO modifier keys necessary, contrary to other post) hover the cursor over just one of the audio clip around the up right (or upper left) corner until you get the Fade Tool, left mouse click and pull it back (or forward for fade in at the beginning) and your in business.  I'm telling you, that's how it works.  Just make sure all desired clips are highlighted.  I wish I could make of video of SONAR and my hands on the keyboard and mouse so that you can see just want I'm doing, but I am camera shy.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Really, it works that way.  Noel, can you confirm for me?

edit to include "left mouse click" after ...get the Fade Tool.
post edited by tecknot - 2018/04/10 22:11:59
PJH
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 14:34:40 (permalink)
tecknot
PJH

Thanks.

Gee, PJH, I have done it in both SONAR and CbB.  All you have to do is just select all track (if you want to edit all tracks of course) and while the (audio) clips are all highlighted (with NO modifier keys necessary, contrary to other post) hover the cursor over just one of the audio clip around the up right (or upper left) corner until you get the Fade Tool, left mouse click and pull it back (or forward for fade in at the beginning) and your in business.  I'm telling you, that's how it works.  Just make sure all desired clips are highlighted.  I wish I could make of video of SONAR and my hands on the keyboard and mouse so that you can see just want I'm doing, but I am camera shy.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Really, it works that way.  Noel, can you confirm for me?

edit to include "left mouse click" after ...get the Fade Tool.

I don't think that you're explaining a true crossfade here, tecknot. Your method will just create a fade at the beginning and end of each clip. I want to create a crossfade by dragging and overlapping the clips in order to remove any clicks from slip editing.
tecknot
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 15:27:00 (permalink)
Yeah, okay just select the clips you want to move/slip over (using the Control Key and left mouse clicks).  Go to Options above the Track Pane and check Auto Crossfade.  Now move/slip the hightlighted clips (without a key modifier) and you should get the desired results. 

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S. there are no true or false crossfades, just crossfades....just kids kidding.
Faza_TCM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 17:50:45 (permalink)
PJH I want to create a crossfade by dragging and overlapping the clips in order to remove any clicks from slip editing.

Not sure if I'm understanding your intent 100% correctly, but I have just performed the following test successfully in SPLAT (should also work in CbB) that seems to be what you're asking for:
  1. Setup: import audio into project and duplicate it into several tracks (four in my case) - this creates a starting point analogous to editing a multi-mic drum recording,
  2. Split all tracks at some point on the timeline,
  3. Select the clips you want to extend in all tracks (works with both selecting just the side you want to extend and both sides),
  4. Using the "extend clip" function of the Smart tool, extend the selected clips over the other side of the split. Crossfades are created automatically.
Again, I don't know it that's what you're looking for exactly, but it sure sounds like it.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 18:01:11 (permalink)
Faza_TCM
PJH I want to create a crossfade by dragging and overlapping the clips in order to remove any clicks from slip editing.

Not sure if I'm understanding your intent 100% correctly, but I have just performed the following test successfully in SPLAT (should also work in CbB) that seems to be what you're asking for:
  1. Setup: import audio into project and duplicate it into several tracks (four in my case) - this creates a starting point analogous to editing a multi-mic drum recording,
  3. Select the clips you want to extend in all tracks (works with both selecting just the side you want to extend and both sides),
  4. Using the "extend clip" function of the Smart tool, extend the selected clips over the other side of the split. Crossfades are created automatically.
Again, I don't know it that's what you're looking for exactly, but it sure sounds like it.

I think that's what they are after, but they need to have auto crossfade enabled first <- I think that's the big bit they are missing :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Faza_TCM
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 18:10:09 (permalink)
Aye, that probably be it...

Although I just checked and it looks like it's on by default in the basic template (I certainly didn't verify it was before doing my little test). Now, I'm not about to check every single template that comes in the box, but I would expect it to be on everywhere ('coz you'll prolly be using it more often than not). Which means if it ain't on, it likely got switched off for some reason...
PJH
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/11 20:05:59 (permalink)
Faza_TCM

I've never tried the "extend clip" function but it certainly sounds like the answer.
I'll give it a try in the morning.
Thanks.
tecknot
Re: Is this possible... Can anyone help? 2018/04/13 05:32:18 (permalink)
35mm
I think that's what they are after, but they need to have auto crossfade enabled first <- I think that's the big bit they are missing :)

That's what I said. (see post No. 10).
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1