Helpful ReplyWill a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering

Author
tecknot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 766
2018/04/10 16:19:49 (permalink)

Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering

I am wondering, is it possible that CbB or a version of it replace BandLab or will CbB have the capability to doing what BandLab does as far as internets/social sharing.  Honestly I haven't downloading/installed/tried BandLab (don't like Chrome), but I figure that's what it's for.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Yes, I know that there is just the internet and not multiple internets, but not according to GWB.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/10 18:06:29 (permalink)
I would very much doubt it. What would be the sense? Giving Cake away to registered users of BL will attract many more people to join BL. Cake is the incentive to get people there.

What about Chrome? What has that got to do with BL? It should work in any browser.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/10 18:30:52 (permalink)
My understanding is none of the other browsers support low latency audio. To avoid a regular install, try the portable version of Chrome.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/10 18:38:35 (permalink)
35mm

What about Chrome? What has that got to do with BL? It should work in any browser.

Not if there is specific coding only available in Chrome.

What about Mac/Linux? A program should work in any OS.

See? 
tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/10 21:46:03 (permalink)
bapu
35mm

Not if there is specific coding only available in Chrome.

What about Mac/Linux? A program should work in any OS.

See? 

It's not an OS issue, it's a browser issue (which is odd).  Nonetheless, hey scook, I just don't want (any version of) Chrome on any machine I use.

Kind regards,

tecknot
tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/10 21:55:29 (permalink)
35mm
I would very much doubt it. What would be the sense? Giving Cake away to registered users of BL will attract many more people to join BL. Cake is the incentive to get people there...

Uh, yeah that is the goal.  BL is more social friendly and CbB is only somewhat internet ready.  Anyway, why not just have one program instead of two doing the same thing (which brings the incentive to port it to Mac and portable device OSs) particularly since CbB is totally maxed out with capabilities.  If you used SONAR in the past, we used to be able to upload and share a project via Gobbler.  Since Gobbler is no longer Windows compatible, BL looks like the perfect alternative....get it?

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Please don't say it's too hard or impossible for a Mac version.  I believe Meng can make it happen.  Yeah!!! Let's do it!!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 10:37:03 (permalink)
does the CbB installer also install chrome?

just a sec

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 10:59:16 (permalink)
I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you meant replacing the BL site, but I guess you meant the BL app. I haven't used the app because I don't really get the point of it. In this case, I think Cake will make a great alternative to the app for more serious users, but I reckon the app will probably remain for basic users and mobile use.

I also get the Chrome reference now too. I expect you have to use Chrome only because it is the only browser that has all the advanced features working correctly that are required for the app. Chrome is Google's rebranded version of the open source Chromium browser. Chromium is usually one or two iterations ahead of Chrome. So you could try using Chromium and it should work.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
pwalpwal
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 11:04:52 (permalink)
scook
My understanding is none of the other browsers support low latency audio. To avoid a regular install, try the portable version of Chrome.

get your geek on: https://padenot.github.io/web-audio-perf/

just a sec

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 14:35:35 (permalink)
pwalpwal
get your geek on: https://padenot.github.io/web-audio-perf/

Appreciate the link, but that page is all Geek to me. 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 14:55:38 (permalink)
IMHO. that is misinformation about having to use Crome. 

I use Edge and have never had a problem with it.  And I have generic low latency AISO drivers to pick from, as well as the branded drivers. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/11 15:14:57 (permalink)
35mm
I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you meant replacing the BL site, but I guess you meant the BL app...

Hey 35mm, you bring up a very good concern I have with regard to the product names.  Calling BandLab the product and BandLab the company does make it confusing just as naming the product "Cakewalk" the same as the now defunked company.  So, if we do not specify Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) it can confuse others not so familiar with the current state of SONAR (or "TDDFKAS").  I wish Meng did give CbB a new name.  I wanted to give him (a very applicable) one, but I guess he had already decided it by the time I reached out to him.  Bunkers.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  I totally understand why we (users) might like the name of CbB because it continues the legacy, but as mentioned above...
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 00:53:23 (permalink)
scook

Works fine in Opera v52
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 01:06:42 (permalink)
Different browsers seem to work differently on different machines. Google Chrome crashes our family PC so I've stopped using it there. But I've seen it work well elsewhere (and I'm actually using it right now). Firefox works well on the family PC, but I've seen it behave badly on other computers. I've started using Opera too lately and it seems OK so far.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 02:50:20 (permalink)
This is what I get when I try to use BandLab on my PC.
https://www.bandlab.com/use-chrome

iRelevant
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 08:44:12 (permalink)
tecknot
35mm
I would very much doubt it. What would be the sense? Giving Cake away to registered users of BL will attract many more people to join BL. Cake is the incentive to get people there...

Uh, yeah that is the goal.  BL is more social friendly and CbB is only somewhat internet ready.  Anyway, why not just have one program instead of two doing the same thing (which brings the incentive to port it to Mac and portable device OSs) particularly since CbB is totally maxed out with capabilities.  If you used SONAR in the past, we used to be able to upload and share a project via Gobbler.  Since Gobbler is no longer Windows compatible, BL looks like the perfect alternative....get it?

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Please don't say it's too hard or impossible for a Mac version.  I believe Meng can make it happen.  Yeah!!! Let's do it!! 

Come on man, that's pointless ... the whole point of BL is to have a studio in you pocket. I don't see CB fitting in there anytime soon :) The way I see it, CB is just one more tool working towards BL's cloud based database of musical projects. I expect CB to integrate into the current ecosystem. One day your making a sketch for a song on your iPhone when inspiration strikes while your sitting in the park ... some other day your importing that sketch into CB for more elaborate work in your Studio. 

I also expect BL to rework the Momentum and Sketchpad apps for similar functionality. I guess Noel is a busy man.

PPS. Forget about the Mac, it's a waste of energy ... make an exclusive alliance with Microsoft  ... and something nice might come out of it. Maybe CB can come as an optional bundle with future releases of Windows ? How's that for an increase in the user base ? Like Apples Logic, just better ;)
post edited by iRelevant - 2018/04/12 11:41:44
iRelevant
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 08:52:38 (permalink)
35mm
[...]

I think not, Chrome is the recommended browser for use with BL's WEB DAW. I also found it to work perfectly in Opera v52 (Disclosure : I'm from Norway :) . It didn't fare to well in my Firefox and Yandex browsers though, about Edge i don't know. I have banned it from my system long time ago.
iRelevant
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 09:06:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/04/12 10:22:43
pwalpwal
does the CbB installer also install chrome?

Not that I'm aware of, and there is no reason for it. 
BandLab's WEB DAW opens up in the default browser, from the BandAssistant app. If you don't like Chrome, you may try Opera ... which is an excellent alternative.  

Phoen1xPJ
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/12 11:42:06 (permalink)
teknot, what is your prob with Chrome?

Yours With a Song,
Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
*new* Cakewalk by BandLab
Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
(2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
*new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/13 04:45:07 (permalink)
Phoen1xPJ

Simply, I use firefox.  I do not trust Google with their tracking and all that stuff they do behind the screen.
tecknot
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/13 04:56:11 (permalink)
iRelevant
Come on man, that's pointless ... the whole point of BL is to have a studio in you pocket. I don't see CB fitting in there anytime soon :) The way I see it, CB is just one more tool working towards BL's cloud based database of musical projects. I expect CB to integrate into the current ecosystem. One day your making a sketch for a song on your iPhone when inspiration strikes while your sitting in the park ... some other day your importing that sketch into CB for more elaborate work in your Studio. 

I also expect BL to rework the Momentum and Sketchpad apps for similar functionality. I guess Noel is a busy man.

PPS. Forget about the Mac, it's a waste of energy ... make an exclusive alliance with Microsoft  ... and something nice might come out of it. Maybe CB can come as an optional bundle with future releases of Windows ? How's that for an increase in the user base ? Like Apples Logic, just better ;)

Well you just focused on the very reasons I bring up the question.... "one more tool..."  Why not just one tool.  "...I expect CB to intergrate into the current ecosystem."  As do I.  "...importing that sketch into CB..." Why not have one saved project compatible with CbB using the same format, etc.  As I asked in my OP, "a version of CbB..." which could replace BL (with hopes of an Apple version, doesn't hurt to hope, does it?).  So your argument just gives more support to my "pointless" question.  Come on man.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  Making a Mac version simply creates greater market share.  I haven't read anything from Meng indicating he wants to just focus on an MS compatible product.  Looks like he wants as much compatibility as possible (including Andriod).  Seems obvious to me.  Besides, MS has a long way to go to be as (pro) audio friendly as Apple.
pwalpwal
Re: Will a version of CbB replace BandLab, just wondering 2018/04/13 08:32:15 (permalink)
tecknot
Phoen1xPJ

Simply, I use firefox.  I do not trust Google with their tracking and all that stuff they do behind the screen.

same here

just a sec

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1