Bandlab Account and Sonar download

Author
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
2018/04/11 22:07:28 (permalink)

Bandlab Account and Sonar download

Hi everybody, just a quick 'dumb' question regarding our Cakewalk software assets. Ok so I got that email a couple of weeks ago, saying I need to sign up to Bandlab otherwise I might lose access to my original Cakewalk software assets...what happens now? Are these assets being transferred to my Bandlab account or will they stay where they've always been?

Interesting times, me thinks. Whilst, I'm happy that Sonar lives (Cakewalk by Bandlab is a crap name by the way...too unwieldy), gutting the heart of the program, all the secondary licensed stuff is troubling. It turns, what was one of the most complete software studio instruments into a less than finished pro product. Although I get what is going on, and because I've already brought Platinum and will stick with that version till it breaks, it won't really affect me. Still, it's concerning if for whatever reason we lose access to our original Cakewalk assets via the server going down or we can't authorize our downloaded assets via online activation.

Anyway thanks in advance, I was just musing with the above paragraph...been keeping an eye on all of the proceedings. Bandlab site looks alright, and I can see what they're up to.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks

27 Replies Related Threads

fresh101
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 772
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/04/11 22:32:54 (permalink)
    Go ahead and register for with your same email that you used here for now. This was basically an early release to keep the hungry natives appeased. More info, content and updates coming soon. So register now hold your parking spot and upgrade when you're ready. The kinks will hopefully be worked out soon.

As for the name. The company use to be Twelve Tone Systems. The product use to be called Cakewalk (was midi only). When they added audio tracks it became Cakewalk Pro Audio. People assumed the company name was Cakewalk and Pro Audio was the product name. Like Akai Mpc or Propellerhead Reason. So they Changed the Company name to match expectations. At the same time, what would have become Pro Audio 10 became Sonar. Later what should have been Sonar 10 became Sonar X1. ..and you probably know the rest of the story. So...technically the product just went back to it's original name.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/04/11 22:54:43 (permalink)
    There is at least 2 threads a day here on this topic. You should take the time to read a little and you will see that there is nothing to worry about. You do need to follow through and register. You don't have to use the new version but most of us have found it is a small upgrade from the November release and are happily using it now. 

The new version is stripped down because all those extras cost money which is why Splat was worth $400. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ButtramFlapp
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 16:38:38 (permalink)
    So I try to download CBB and get stopped by a "tip jar"/paywall. What's up with that? I thought that if you had a licensed version of Sonar the switchover was free.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 16:44:08 (permalink)
    CbB is free to all BandLab account holders. The Tip Jar pops up at the end of the install process. Tipping is optional.
    ButtramFlapp
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 16:48:38 (permalink)
    Nope. Tip jar pops up at beginning. Bandlab Assistant just sits there saying "downloading 0/1" for an hour, then goes back to original  screen.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 16:51:19 (permalink)
    This has nothing to do with the tip jar. There are a couple of threads about download issues. Make sure you are running the latest version of BandLab Assistant v3.0.8. Sometimes is it necessary to quit are restart BA. Others have had issues with slow internet connections.
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 17:29:53 (permalink)
    +1 The tip jar is completely optional and isn't the reason why a download would fail. Quite a few people have reported issues with the downloader. If the download connection breaks for some reason, it doesn't seem to be able to resume, so you have to start again. I'm sure this will be fixed before too long.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    joakes
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 21:26:33 (permalink)
    35mm
    +1 The tip jar is completely optional and isn't the reason why a download would fail. Quite a few people have reported issues with the downloader. If the download connection breaks for some reason, it doesn't seem to be able to resume, so you have to start again. I'm sure this will be fixed before too long.

This whole thing about resume is important for those of us on a slow download, and unfortunately CCC never incorporated a resume feature - so will BA do that ? Here’s hoping with all fingers well and truel crossed.

Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 22:02:30 (permalink)
    joakes
    35mm

This whole thing about resume is important for those of us on a slow download, and unfortunately CCC never incorporated a resume feature - so will BA do that ? Here’s hoping with all fingers well and truel crossed.

Jerry

I wasn't aware that CCC didn't resume either. I'm lucky that I have fast, fairly reliable broadband where I am and have never had an issue. I would have thought any download system made in the last 10 years would automatically resume. I had major problems last time I tried to download NI Komplete via Native Access - downloads kept stopping, but at least they could be resumed! I would think it's something that BL will sort out as it's been one of the biggest problems I've seen reported here in the forums, and if people think the download isn't working because they haven't contributed to the tip jar, that sounds like a bit of a problem to me, and I'm sure BL wouldn't want people thinking that. They will want as many people using Cake as possible without being put off or not being able to even download it.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Cactus Music
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 22:50:27 (permalink)
    The big difference between CCC and Bandlab version is you could download offsite were there was good internet , take the files home and do a offline install. 
    I never had an issue with CCC at home, it was slow, but if my internet cut out it would resume as long as the drop out was brief. All my software downloaded even big 4 GB stuff. 
    But the Bandlab assistant has no ability to continue even with a brief drop out. It's just el cheapo coding. 
    I hope they fix it. Here's my work a round

http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-save-the-Cakewalkexe-file-m3754437.aspx

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Muzock
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/07 22:57:30 (permalink)
    First I had a problem to have the assistant.  Then I ask for help.  For answer I had a question...then, I found a way to download it and I arrived to that tip thing and tried to give $5 by paypal and the thing crashed.  But I add all the download files and when I tried to install Cakewalk by bandlab, a message told me that my computer was missing a DLL. So, I wrote the name of it and tried to download it.  But I had to go on a site and registried so, the thing started to be far away from making music and I got upset with all that.  I was on that for 3 days and didn't make a single note of music.  So, i decided to uninstall every thing coming from Bandlab and I went back to my lovely SONAR PRODUCER 3.
    And then, I start making music again.  But now I had a message when I opened the program that a plugin was missing...and then no more metronome...I can't work without a metromome.  So I had to do a restauration on my computer.  1st I tried 3 days before and my metronome still didn't work so I made another restauration earlyer and It worked.  Now, everything is OK for me.
    I don't know, it could be because I'm still with W7.  I'm a little bit afraid of making another try with Bandlab.  It could be me the problem...4 days of my life trying to put the thing together is enough for now...
    Thank you anyway!

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    SSL XLogic Alpha Link MadiAX
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
     Drum set player and composer
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    Muzock
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/08 22:31:37 (permalink)
    I'm coming back here because, I thought something else could make a mixup of my thing.  I have 2 computer.  One that goes on internet all the time and the other only when I have no other choice for downloading what I need.
    So, first I tried to download everything from bandlab, from my internet computer and when everything was dome and I read the eula before installing, I realised that I could not download Cakewalk by BandLab on two computer, so, I stopped everything.  I did that because I never use my computer going on the internet to make music, so, I did not want to loose the opportunity to have the new Cakewalk thing on my music computer...maybe, that's why, everything screwed up when I went back to my music computer...
    hope you understand what I'm saying..
    TY anyway!

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    Studioguy1
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 16:13:10 (permalink)
    They really should understand that a smart daw operator would not have that computer online for obvious reasons.  For some reason that wisdom seems to get lost in the shuffle.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
    Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
    Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
    Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
    Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
     2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
    - 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
    Blue Clown Records Ltd
    Blue Clown Publishing BMI
    Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
    karhide
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 16:18:09 (permalink)
    Studioguy1
    They really should understand that a smart daw operator would not have that computer online for obvious reasons.  For some reason that wisdom seems to get lost in the shuffle.

The computer only needs to be online for the install and then you can disconnect.

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
    https://karhide.bandcamp.com
    Muzock
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 17:03:35 (permalink)
    Me again, another reason could probably be that I didn't upgrade to platinum at the time.  This could be the files that are missing in my computer...

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 18:01:32 (permalink)
    karhide
    Studioguy1

The computer only needs to be online for the install and then you can disconnect.

Actually you need to be connected for both the download and the install. You cannot download on one machine then install and activate on a second machine.

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Cactus Music
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 19:46:41 (permalink)
    I was unaware they had a 1 computer restrictive limit.  Find that hard to swallow. Why? it's free!! therefore you can have as many copies as you have places to put them. 
    I have it on 3 computers right now. It is the same deal as it was with Splat. 
    The limitation is 2 computers if you wish to use 3rd party add ons. 

And one of my installs is Windows 7 64. so that is not an issue. 
    One of my installs was a laptop that I deleted all things Cakewalk from first just to see what was missing. Was not an issue. 
    What was the missing dll? we can help you sort that out. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Muzock
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 20:53:01 (permalink)
    api-ms-win-crt-runtime-11-1-0.dll
    I'm lucky to have found that small piece of paper on the full mess going on on my studio because sometimes I work hard and I supplied my wife to not enter the place LOL
    I delete everything from BandLab on the 3th may.  So, it's almost a week now and there was something else on my small paper dans I have write.
    .NETFrameworks Version=v4.5.2
    TY Johnny V
    It's very appreciate to see that somebody have understand what I'm trying to say.
    G.

X3e Producer 64 bit
    Dimension-Pro
    W7 64 bit
    Komplete 6 16gig ram
    www.gillesschetagne.com
    karhide
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 22:34:30 (permalink)
    MandolinPicker
    karhide
    Studioguy1

Actually you need to be connected for both the download and the install. You cannot download on one machine then install and activate on a second machine.

Process on the computer:
    1. Install Bandlab assistant
    2. Install Cakewalk for Bandlab
    3. Disconnect from the internet and disable Bandlab assistant from starting at boot.

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
    https://karhide.bandcamp.com
    Cactus Music
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/09 22:41:06 (permalink)
    Mandolin picker

If you follow my link to my thread where I gave instructions on how to copy the cakewalk.exe file and all the other downloads, to a second machine. This was my only way t get the install to work as my internet cuts out from time to time. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

MandolinPicker
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/10 03:11:05 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Mandolin picker

If you follow my link to my thread where I gave instructions on how to copy the cakewalk.exe file and all the other downloads, to a second machine. This was my only way t get the install to work as my internet cuts out from time to time. 

I will look it up and give that a try. Thanks

The Mandolin Picker

Cactus Music
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/10 03:36:28 (permalink)
    You'll see I posted this in my thread about saving the cakewalk.exe file. It worked.
    I took the files home and installed Cakelab to 2 other computers no problem. But you will need a brief internet connection to log on to the assistant to authorize. Once that is done you can unplug again. Forever if you like :) 

So- You can install to a second machine that is offline using the Cakewalk.exe file. 
    It does not need the internet to install from the file. 
    BUT- it will be in DEMO mode until you run the assistant and log in. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/10 09:56:36 (permalink)
    There is no one computer install limit. You need to have BandLab Assistant installed on any machine you want to run Cakewalk by BandLab on.

That makes it look like a one install only, but it’s one install per BandLab Assistant installation.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    MandolinPicker
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/10 18:21:22 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    I took the files home and installed Cakelab to 2 other computers no problem. But you will need a brief internet connection to log on to the assistant to authorize. Once that is done you can unplug again. Forever if you like :) 

So- You can install to a second machine that is offline using the Cakewalk.exe file. 

Well it took a bit of doing, but we were able to get it downloaded, installed and activated. Had to borrow a Windows laptop from a friend. The only computer we have running Windows besides our DAW is an older netbook on Win 7. However, it was 32-bit and the BandLab Assistant will not run on a 32-bit system (back into the closet it goes again). Got everything downloaded and copied over both BandLab folders from the 'Roaming' folder to a USB stick. Copied that over to the DAW. Then run a bunch of Cat 5 cable through the house to get an Internet connection to the DAW. Took a couple of tries to get a connection (not great Internet here), but it did activate it.

The Good News
    • You can download the files on one computer and move them to another computer. You need to make sure you copy all pertinent files from the 'AppData/Roaming' directory.
    Caveats
    • The download computer must install and run BandLab Assistant to download the files. If using a borrowed computer from a friend (as in my case), this may be an issue.
    • The DAW computer needs to have BandLab Assistant installed and connected to Internet to perform the authentication. In my case, this meant running a bunch of Cat 5 cable from the modem through the house to the DAW.
    So, the situation is better than it initially appeared, but in CbB's current state for some of us (and I understand we are a minority of users) it is far from an easy solution. A direct download link would be a nice first step (not sure my friend will let me constantly borrow his computer and install BA just to download updates). That would eliminate borrowing a laptop for each update. Ultimately, offline authorization (bypassing BA in the same fashion as the CCC was bypassed in SPLAT, but still authorizing the software) would solve these issues for those of us who have our DAWs offline (either by choice or no internet available). Hopefully these will be an option again in the future.

Thanks for the help with this.

The Mandolin Picker

ButtramFlapp
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/12 16:36:36 (permalink)
    Nice to know others are having issues, but I don't have a slow connection. Sonar downloaded seamlessly, EZ Drummer, Reaper,et al. Where's the problem with CbB?
    Studioguy1
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/13 00:12:31 (permalink)
    Was a bear downloading it, but works great here, now.  I use it daily and for long periods of time.  Seeing everything it saw in the last generation, including projects, so I am fine.
    post edited by Studioguy1 - 2018/05/15 03:47:17

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
    Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
    Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
    Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
    Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
     2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
    - 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
    Blue Clown Records Ltd
    Blue Clown Publishing BMI
    Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
    musicjohnnie
    • Total Posts : 227
    Re: Bandlab Account and Sonar download 2018/05/13 01:20:54 (permalink)
    I wonder why some of us are having problems, and most of us aren't.........at least I think most aren't ......maybe we need to have a check in to see how many are not able to download.
    MJ

Dell XPS 9100 Studio
    I7 930.....16G ram
    Win 10 anniv.(now back to win 7)
    Sonar Platinum (lifer)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1