Helpful ReplyNew Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry...

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2018/04/13 16:07:27 (permalink)

New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry...

I've been meaning to post this for the last couple of weeks.  I finally got everything ported over to my new Coffee Lake based DAW that our ol pal Jim Roseberry (www.studiocat.com) built for me to replace my 8 year old DAW that he also built for me.

And brothers and sisters it is an hellacious monster of a killer diller DAW.  On projects that used to cripple my old machine...which was no slouch in any way...the new DAW doesn't even break a sweat.  So far it's been as stable as a brick and it is dead solid quiet...disconcertingly so.  No noise...nuttin...is it even on???...I don't know...I have to look and see if the blue light on the on switch is lit.

Really, if you are in the market for a new DAW I highly recommend this machine.

Why not mosey over to Jim's site and take a gander at what he's got to offer.  You'll be glad you did:-)

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/04/13 17:43:59 (permalink)
My Dell XPS 8500 (early 2012) has held up nicely. I had one PS failure, but it was just inside the 3-year warranty, so no cost. I had to replace the video card for Win10, and it's up to 32 GB RAM. Oh, and I replaced the burner with a Blue-ray one.

Total cost not bad at all for 6 years of service.

One of these days, probably sooner rather than later, it will need replacing. With one of Jim's. There's not a major vendor I would go anywhere near.

I interviewed with Compaq to run their quality program. The interview went poorly.  After seeing what I saw and hearing what I heard, I wanted nothing to do with them. I didn't even send the CQO a bill for my expenses. I ran hard, and ran fast. 6 months later, the CEO was gone and Compaq was HP. That was the day HP dropped off my list of suppliers.

And then I bought a Dell after my Sony Viao cratered.

In spite of using two original PC's Limited clones to host a skunkworks network in my engineering office at Motorola (PC LAN suuuuuuuuuucked).

Just happy to hear about your continued great experience with Purrrfect. Leaves me with a good feeling.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/04/14 19:15:03 (permalink)
Been planning to upgrade pretty soon, too, and looking at Jim's new Coffee Lake machines, too. Glad to know they are rock solid, quiet and quick, that's what I need--I'm still suffering with spinning hard drives instead of SSD's, and I use almost all Kontakt sample instruments, which take a bit to load, for sure.

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/04/16 12:52:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/04/17 02:05:12
Glad you like the new DAW, Ol' Pal.  

The 8700k ushered in a new level of performance for a sub $400 CPU.
12 processing threads at 4700MHz yields massive DSP Processing power.
To top it off, the CPU doesn't run particularly hot... so a quality 3rd-party cooler makes it near dead-silent.
Perfect for a DAW...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/01 21:48:29 (permalink)
Jim , any passif solution around ?

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Jim Roseberry
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/02 15:19:13 (permalink)
I wouldn't go with a completely passive CPU cooler (especially not on a CPU with six cores or more).

From a noise perspective (running an 8700k), there's no need to do so.
With the right CPU cooler, you literally have to put your head next to the CPU cooler to hear anything.
A condenser mic 3' away wouldn't pickup any computer noise.

With PS and Video with "0dB fan modes", a modern build can be *extremely* quiet.
SSDs also help in this regard...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/02 23:30:33 (permalink)
yorolpal
I've been meaning to post this for the last couple of weeks.  I finally got everything ported over to my new Coffee Lake based DAW that our ol pal Jim Roseberry (www.studiocat.com) built for me to replace my 8 year old DAW that he also built for me.

And brothers and sisters it is an hellacious monster of a killer diller DAW. 

Yorolpal,

I just ordered the Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 Processor from Microcenter.com for $299.99

I currently have an Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor for My PC, so thanks for the tip.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/11 02:11:33 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
I wouldn't go with a completely passive CPU cooler (especially not on a CPU with six cores or more).

From a noise perspective (running an 8700k), there's no need to do so.
With the right CPU cooler, you literally have to put your head next to the CPU cooler to hear anything.
A condenser mic 3' away wouldn't pickup any computer noise.

With PS and Video with "0dB fan modes", a modern build can be *extremely* quiet.
SSDs also help in this regard...

Thks Jim , my studio is dead silent , everybody surprised , because i m a maniac in this area , sold my. Beloved vs 700 just because fan noise , using a i7 4790s passivily cooled system ...time to upgrade soon or maybe dsp ´s ...

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/11 05:15:44 (permalink)
Zo
Thks Jim , my studio is dead silent , everybody surprised , because i m a maniac in this area , sold my. Beloved vs 700 just because fan noise , using a i7 4790s passivily cooled system ...time to upgrade soon or maybe dsp ´s ...

I hear you about the VS-700R.   The fan noise was a major factor in switching to another interface, along with the lack of Windows 10 drivers and support.  It's sad because it's still a great interface, in every other way.  Oh well...

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/12 01:19:13 (permalink)
Quick comment (and warning) on the Corsair Hydro H100i V2, which I got with my 8700K. The actual system is quiet and functional, what is NOT is the associated software (the "Corsair LINK 4"). Part of this may be the handshaking between ASUS' BIOS and the LINK 4, but here is how I found this out (and not sure if it is specific to ASUS UEFI BIOS either)...

After installing the LINK 4, I was doing generic tasks, and suddenly the fans kicked on like a jet engine, then kept cycling. Monitoring my CPU, the temp was spiking to over 80C and then coming back down to 30C quickly. Booting the system into BIOS gave me two shocks... first I get a message "the CPU fan is not accessible" so let ASUS fix that, then I saw the target CPU speed was 5150!!! Even folks who de-lid don't clock that high!

Solution... I totally disabled "Corsair LINK 4" in Services, then went back into BIOS and let ASUS bench the fans (ASUS UEFI BIOS is incredibly capable). Since then the CPU has rarely exceeded 50C, and the Corsair Hydro H100i V2 is very quiet (my computer is in a compartment, so I never hear it). I left my system at a 29% OC (in ASUS UEFI BIOS) and it handles everything I need without issues.

Just wanted to share that LINK 4 software is a piece of meat on my machine, the cooler is fine unto itself.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jim Roseberry
Re: New Coffee Lake build from Jim Roseberry... 2018/05/14 14:35:46 (permalink)
IME, It's best to let the BIOS control CPU fan speed (rather than 3rd party applications).
Better motherboards offer detailed control over fan speed.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1