Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ?

Author
J-War
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2018/04/15 00:54:57 (permalink)

Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ?

Hello all,

Having clips overlapping each others smoothly is mandatory to avoid overloading compressors and / or experiencing various unpleasant sound artefacts.
It's been years now i use the same method to have my clips overlapping each others smoothly, i draw clip gain enveloppes this way :

Lately, I was told my method was totally outdated and was a huge waste of time.
So well, what is the fasted and most accurate way to do this using sonar platinum ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
J.

7 Replies Related Threads

J-War
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/15 18:21:50 (permalink)
    Bump !
    - 1 - Just tell if this is the " Autocrossfade " function.
    - 2 - If it can be applied after everything has be recorded.

Thanks.
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/16 01:32:56 (permalink)
    So what is your question?  Yes, clips can overlap in a track just as you have shown?  Are you wanting them to have cross-fades between them?  You can apply crossfades to them automatically with the correct setting checked. With the take lanes collapsed any slip editing of the edge of one clip that overlaps with another will cause a cross fade to be applied.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    J-War
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/16 04:28:11 (permalink)
    My question is : Is there a faster way to have clips overlapping smoothly than manualy drawing (see my picture above) gain clip enveloppes ?
    This can be an insanely tiedous task, especialy when there are a lots of takes !
    I am not sure about that but, If i understand correctly, auto crossfade does the same thing faster ?
    timboalogo
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/16 14:42:14 (permalink)
    Maybe I've been doing it wrong all along, but I just edit the track to approximately where the audio begins and ends.

Timbo
    J-War
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/16 16:58:15 (permalink)
    Same here but when there's a lots of takes, it seems using crossfade is A LOT faster.
    I've read the manual but i am having hard times using auto crossfade, as there is a blank measure at the begining and the end of each clip the crossfade starts too early and ends too late. I don't get how to move the crossfade to where it should exactly starts and end.
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/16 20:11:56 (permalink)
    This section explains how to use fades and cross fades
    https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Arranging.61.html

Snippet of that document is below:

To create an automatic crossfade (real-time)
    Click the Track view Options menu and choose Auto Crossfade.

Click the Track view Options menu, point to Crossfade Type > Default Crossfade Curves and select the desired default crossfade curve types.

Select and drag an audio clip so that it overlaps another audio clip. You should overlap the clips by the length you want the crossfade.

When you have the clip positioned where you want it, release the mouse button to drop the clip.

The Drag and Drop Options dialog box appears.
    In the Drag and Drop Options dialog box, check the Blend Old With New check box and click OK.

The two clips now overlap with a crossfade, looking something like this:

Basically, once you enable the auto crossfade from the track view options menu an automatic cross fade will be placed on overlapping clips.  You do this with the take lanes collapsed (not visible).  Now if you put your cursor over the edge of a clip that is overlapping with another clip a cross fade will be created between the overlapping parts of the clips.  If you want it to coss-fade differently you click and drag the fades directly to whatever you want.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    J-War
    Re: Most accurate and fastest way to handle clips overlapping ? 2018/04/17 00:05:48 (permalink)
    Thanks very much for your help and you answer !

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1