Problem with Moog Minitaur and Cakewalk Sonar

Author
unisono2560
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2018/04/17 21:20:34 (permalink)

Problem with Moog Minitaur and Cakewalk Sonar

symptoms:

I have Cakewalk Sonar Platinum installed on my computer.
I also have the analogue synthesizer Moog Minitaur installed.
It came on the market in 2012 and it sounds really good. However, the software was very flawed from the beginning. To be fair, I have to say that Moog got the problem under control quite well. But I think the software editor still has bugs.
I've learned to handle it now. For the studio's everyday life the editor can be used with a bit of skill. However, I would not put the Minitaur on stage in this combination (Sonar Minitaur + Editor).

That's exactly where the problem is. When I connect the Minitaur to Sonar, the LED lamp behind the Release switch no longer works properly. The synthesizer, however, responds to the button. In this case, the synthesizer is also quite normal to use. However, I've had other days where the Minitaur just stopped to give a sound. I had to bring it back to life through a "secret" and unofficial keyboard shortcut. This is unacceptable live. The Moog support had, after a request last year actually reported to me and said that I should record the malfunction on video and send it to the support, which I have done. Unfortunately, I have not received an answer from Moog Support until today. So I find Moog Support unsatisfactory, which is a pity. 

I also wrote to sonar support in December 2017, but did not receive an answer. But I understand, because of the situation of Cakewalk at this time.

On the Internet there were hardly any entries about my mistake. There are only many complaints about the old faulty software. Only one Ableton user had reported similar problems.

The problem only occurs in conjunction with Sonar, but not with Raper. I had bought Reaper for testing purposes.

Sonar seems to send peculiar data to Moog's MIDI OUTPUT at startup.

It's right when sonar is started. A project does not have to be loaded. So it's not related to a particular project.

I have already tried all the settings with the editor and every time I’ve started Sonar after every change. Without success. The release button lights up all the time, even if you close sonar. Only when you take the Moog off the grid and back on, it works normally again.

I also experimented with the TTSEQ.ini, but to no avail. Editing this file is not well documented in Sonar. Maybe you can help me further.

Any MIDI echo functions that were disabled or enabled by the editor or sonar did not succeed.

We looked at the data Sonar generated at startup using these tools live:

MIDI OX - MIDI monitor software
LoopMidi - Virtual MIDI cable to send data from Sonar to MIDI OX.

The problem is present under MIDI and USB midi.

Latest drivers and software are installed.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7, 8GB RAM

Currently we are working together for two in the Cakewalk / Sonar User Group (C / SUG). We learn a lot, but we have not found a solution yet.

Facebook:

What we found out is how to get around the problem.
Although it is a bit complicated, the Moog is stable and the backlight of the release button works as it should.

I start Sonar and open the Preferences and go to MIDI devices. There I pick the OUTPUT of the Moog Minitaur. So I remove the hook and the MIDI PORT is not used when starting Sonar. The Moog can not receive MIDI data from Sonar. Then I close sonar. Now I reset the Moog by taking it from the current and turn it on again. Now I start Sonar and go back to the settings and activate the Moog's MIDI OUT port again. Now the Moog Minitaur will work as it should because it was unable to receive strange data when Sonar was launched.

I would be glad, if someone had an idea.

Thank you :-)

2 Replies Related Threads

unisono2560
    Re: Problem with Moog Minitaur and Cakewalk Sonar 2018/04/17 21:23:21 (permalink)
    I’be tried to edit the TTSSEQ.INI

And added the line “sendLocaloff=0

which had no effect.
    unisono2560
    Re: Problem with Moog Minitaur and Cakewalk Sonar 2018/04/17 21:25:13 (permalink)
    I've already posted this problem a few months ago:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1