Helpful ReplyWhat the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good thing.

Author
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2018/04/17 22:52:42 (permalink)

What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good thing.

I'll cut through the normal "Glad to see this or that stuff and get to the point of this thread, which is a good thing". 

Everyone starts these Cakewalk By Bandlab threads over and over saying "I WAS THINKING". Ya know, first and foremost, that's the problem with the news, and by that I mean NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU ARE THINKING THEY JUST WANT THE FACTS. And I'm sure someone will RETRO in response to me starting this thread "Oh you just done the same thing", but no I did not, I had a purpose to point an opinion of my own and made it clear in the title that it was what I was doing. 

Sad, but you have to explain things to others, but there ya go whoever might question. 

First off : "What does the Cakewalk By Bandlab Daw Actually mean?".  - "It means it's free, and we know that." 
Second : "Will it be free forever?" - Answer : "If you have the power to live forever then I am sure Daw's mean nothing." 
Third    : "Why is it not 32 Bit?" - Answer - "You don't take a man's Beautiful WIFE to the alter and dress her in old clothes!". 
Forth    : "I don't like two Daws installed on my system" - Answer "I don't like a lot of things, but that is just the way it is". 
Fifth     : "They're giving away what I PAID FOR!" - Answer - "Uh, NO, DON'T LIE! You have paid NOTHING FOR THE NEW DAW". 
Sixth    : "Why don't I have ALL the plugins for Sonar Platinum, I thought it was FREE!" - Answer "Because you did not pay for                         Sonar Platinum PLUGINS.
Seventh: "Where can I get the missing Sonar Platinum Plugins?" - Answer, As of now nowhere unless you purchased platinum, but                    wait and there may be some if not all available in the future. 

Why is Cakewalk By BandLab FREE DAW a good thing? 

1st - The continuation of a Daw that you'd never be able to use again. Meaning all your master tracks depending on your system would go into the abyss forever. 

2nd - Because regardless of whether they offer it free, here's the thing. Nobody has thought about the fact that the Daw itself in terms of audience reach could be the new FACEBOOK of DAWS, meaning while the DAW is free, the add on's to make things sound better would be a great step. Although personally I think they need to change around Bandlab's Website apperance because it's not straight forward, it's using terms to avoid issue's with COPYRIGHT's from other sites that confuse others. EXAMPLE : I call a flat tire a FLAT, BANDLAB would call it a mulligan....... LOL......... 

3rd : The latest Bandlab update got rid of that irritating AUTO load OPEN assistant thing, which was good. But I removed it from auto starting at startup myself, because I will check for updates AT MY CONVENIENCE and don't like the idea of an auto starting application running in the background on my PC. Something they should look into. But then again, why is that a good thing? Because some people don't check for updates all the time and complain about crashes when an update could fix such things. 

4th : Because Noel is working with BandLab, and that should be enough, the man is the reason there is still a CAKEWALK and probably why BandLab has taken the steps it has. 

Either way, if this upsets you, I apologize, these are just a few of my thoughts thinking about loud, and BY ALL MEANS PLEASE CORRECT ME if I said anything wrong, that was not my purpose. I was trying to take a positive spin on the current status of the DAW that we all know and LOVE. 

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/04/18 01:52:13 (permalink)
Well Bobby, I'll agree with most if not all of that. I may not come back to Son... oops, Cake full time, but I think the Bandlab acquisition is a good thing and I think them making the core software free is a good move and makes a lot of sense with their business. I think it will benefit a lot of people and in all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if they can make more from selling add-ons in the future to a larger user base than they could from selling the DAW to a smaller user base.

Damn, I said "I think" twice. Sorry 

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/04/18 11:58:57 (permalink)
you are "Sir Les" and i claim my free mug

just a sec

GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/04/22 07:28:41 (permalink)
I didn't mean Cakewalk stuff. I meant my own unrelated stuff. ;)

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
bluebeat1313
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/04/22 13:36:36 (permalink)
Serious_Noize! I agree with most of your post,
and planning to fully switch to BL Cake full time in near future with a single DAW on PC.
My main concern and hope that it is not going to be a monthly/yearly "subscription" based product.
I am all in for "paid" upgrades as long as they are not enforced and lets me decide if I want to upgrade this season or not. 
I am super glad Meng saved Cake, and idea of future collaboration with other musicians across time and space is awesome.  There is no limitation now if another party does not own Cake but wants to record something fun with somebody thousands of miles away. Does not have to spend money, especially in lower income countries. 

P.S. There is almost always an amount of remorse when buying larger items such as a car or a house, but then it passes and in most cases you get to enjoy your investment. I hope Meng overcame these feelings. It will take time, but his venture might be just next BIG thing in music making world.  Stay well!

P.S.S. For sourhead pessimists I think the best thing would be to make some music and meditate. Life is short, gotta enjoy it while you can :)
mgigani
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/05/16 19:38:53 (permalink)
I downloaded Cake and installed it right when it was announce.  Late April.  If I look at about box it has a license number and says membership thru 10/11/2018. what does this mean? is going to expire day after 10/11/2018. If so, so much for free.  Am also wondering about this because their language says "Free to download". This qualification of the word Free seems to me that the free business is for six month and thereafter who knows.  I would like to hear some comments on this. 
Thanks

NealClark
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/05/16 20:33:17 (permalink)
mgigani
I downloaded Cake and installed it right when it was announce.  Late April.  If I look at about box it has a license number and says membership thru 10/11/2018. what does this mean? is going to expire day after 10/11/2018. If so, so much for free.  Am also wondering about this because their language says "Free to download". This qualification of the word Free seems to me that the free business is for six month and thereafter who knows.  I would like to hear some comments on this. 
Thanks

I think you will find that information here 

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-4282018-m3743935.aspx
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/05/16 20:33:51 (permalink)
It's in Meng first post here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-By-BandLab-is-here-Free-Available-for-Windows-now-Updated-4282018-m3743935.aspx

Really please start to read before postings  ( just Saying). Yes I'm frustrated because this has to be the 12 time I answered this question. 

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

NealClark
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/05/16 20:34:05 (permalink)
I am with the OP. It is what it is. 

mgigani
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2018/05/17 19:28:09 (permalink)
Yes. I found it in Meng's updated post of 04/28/2018 (easy to miss).  Even he admits that it is confusing. but it is clarified clearly.  It says the following so everyone knows:

"QUICK UPDATE: The 04-10-2018 in the license/about us is just an arbitrary 6 month date set for authorization checks - it's confusing and will be removed in future versions. It's NOT an expiry date :-)"

I am satisfied. Happy actually.
Cheers!

popstosh@gmail.com
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2019/01/10 13:24:02 (permalink)
I paid for Sonar thru many versions and now your giving it away free. That’s not fair to me Nd other users that spent their money?
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2019/01/10 14:25:06 (permalink)
The "your" (sic) in your statement is not the same "your" who sold you that product.
You bought the program from Gibson.
Bandlab is giving it away free.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-By-BandLab-is-here-Free-Available-for-Windows-now-Updated-4282018-m3743935.aspx

post edited by 57Gregy - 2019/01/10 14:41:33

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2019/01/10 16:21:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2019/01/13 07:52:54
popstosh@gmail.com
I paid for Sonar thru many versions and now your giving it away free. That’s not fair to me Nd other users that spent their money?

If BandLab were charging for it, would that put money back in your pocket? No.

If there was a new version of Sonar, would you have bought it? Sounds like you would have.

Well, now you don't have to, it's free.

What's 'not fair' about that?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: What the "Cakewalk By Bandlab FREE Daw" really means in my opinion. And it's a good th 2019/01/11 00:08:29 (permalink)
popstosh@gmail.com

Yes, you paid CAKEWALK before they were purchased by Bandlab, and you got what you paid for when you made your purchases FROM CAKEWALK.

Bandlab owe's you nothing but are generous enough to offer you what you've been paying for for FREE/ UPDATES/IMPROVEMENTS/FIXES. Why complain? 

Not to mention, they aren't giving away all the third party plugins that came with Sonar but you can still use them in Cakewalk by Bandlab now, that is if you purchased Sonar depending on what version, some of those plugins aren't available to everyone unless they purchased Sonar previously. Or in other words : They are giving away the DAW and a few extra plugins, not all the bells and whistle's/plugins  that everyone paid for when they purchased Sonar previously, if they purchased it previously they can still use them in Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

Time marches on my friend, this is a good thing and it isn't costing nobody nothing. I just hope the promotional factors for this venture can keep it going, or that is, Bandlab can make some money to keep it going, if so the sky is not the only limit. We shall see.  It's a great start though in my opinion. 

It's a WIN WIN for everybody. 

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1