Control surfaces, surround mixing, and Cakewalk by bandlab

Author
mickeymonster
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2018/04/18 18:54:45 (permalink)

Control surfaces, surround mixing, and Cakewalk by bandlab

I had my heart set on a behringer motor 49, one Xtouch and 1 Xtouch extender control pads back before the great Gibson debacle. The combo of the 3 would theoretically give me 24 motorized fader track control with 24 rotary knobs, plus a 49 key keyboard with 8 drum pads for $1000. I don't know if it will work with cakewalk by bandlab. Nektar impulse LX series would be my second choice, because even though their products are newer, cheaper, and claimed to be pre mapped for Sonar, they don't have motorized faders. I really don't mind spending the hours custom mapping as much as I'm concerned more about the quality of the Behringer products... will they last a long time? Which of the two Companies is more likely to be supported in the future? 

I also want to get some 12 driver headphones and a 12 out audio interface to do 5.1 surround headphone mixing, but I'll save that one for another thread.

3 Replies Related Threads

tobiaslindahl
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Control surfaces, surround mixing, and Cakewalk by bandlab 2018/04/18 19:39:32 (permalink)
    AZslow3 is the board expert on anything regarding surfaces and i am sure he will chime in on this. 

As for which of those 2 companies will be supported, I think that is anyones guess really. Claiming one over the other in terms of support would be guessing only I think. Behringer has been around for 30 years, but recent events proves that age is no guarantee of anything. 

I just recently bought the X-touch mini and used Azslow's presets and it works perfectly. Obviously that is an entirely different thing than what you are looking at, but I do not need lots of faders and stuff as it is only to enhance my workflow which is 90% or so in recording/writing mode. I considered getting one of the big ones with lots of faders etc, but realized I had not need for one atm. Many people seem to be happy with the higher end Behringers here though, from what I can tell. Above a certain price point / quality it comes down to personal preferences I think. 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Control surfaces, surround mixing, and Cakewalk by bandlab 2018/04/18 20:03:40 (permalink)
    mickeymonster
    I had my heart set on a behringer motor 49, one Xtouch and 1 Xtouch extender control pads back before the great Gibson debacle. The combo of the 3 would theoretically give me 24 motorized fader track control with 24 rotary knobs, plus a 49 key keyboard with 8 drum pads for $1000. I don't know if it will work with cakewalk by bandlab.

It will, but... you probably will setup XTouch+Extender as one device and Motör as another, in Germany that "trio" cost more like $1500 and, as Tobias writes, do you really need all that?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    mickeymonster
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: Control surfaces, surround mixing, and Cakewalk by bandlab 2018/04/18 21:30:05 (permalink)
    Well, if I gotta get a keyboard. I'm using a qwerty keypad as a musical instrument, for Goodness sake.  If I have to press FHK to play one more major piano chord, I'm gonna start pulling my hair out. LOL. So the motor 49 or impact lx 49 is gonna be my first investment. The rest I slowly accumulate until I can do a full mixdown with my hands.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1