batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2018/04/20 15:06:16 (permalink)

"Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble"

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/long-journey

inspired by a true event,
most folks can relate!

this is a acoustic/electric hybrid, in open tuning, with some spacey slide work and of course,
live drums.
njoy!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

14 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/22 00:38:50 (permalink)
    does this one stink?

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/22 11:00:52 (permalink)
    Adding some buoyancy Bat. I enjoyed this nice track, mix translates well here.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 01:30:36 (permalink)
    Really good. Maybe distorted guitars on last chorus would add even more variety

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 15:08:17 (permalink)
    Wookiee

hey wookiee,
    thanks man, appreciate the support.

this thing (album) has gone over like a lead balloon.
    LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 16:06:17 (permalink)
    batsbrew
    Wookiee

hey wookiee,

LOL

That is a bit sad to hear, have you had some negative feedback then Bat?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 16:25:28 (permalink)
    kakku
    Really good. Maybe distorted guitars on last chorus would add even more variety

thanks kakku!

you know, that would totally work!
    (but since it's finished.........)
    wished i had that suggestion back when i posted the demo!
    oh well, that's cool,
    i'll use that idea on something new i'm working on right now!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 16:26:40 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    batsbrew
    Wookiee

hey wookiee,

LOL

That is a bit sad to hear, have you had some negative feedback then Bat?

heheh.....
    no man, all the feedback has been very positive!!

but nobody's buying.
    which was kind of the point.

maybe more folks are doing  digital,
    and a lot of that i never see the end result.
    don't know.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

RexRed
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 16:41:59 (permalink)
    The electric guitar slide part fits perfectly with the vocals but with the acoustic guitar slide there seems to be a compression and banding issue of some sort that to my ears conflicts with the vocals.

Still it is a great rock piece!

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/23 16:48:11 (permalink)
    very cool Bats.
    Do I detect a slightly different musical direction with this one?
    I just shared your album announcement on Facebook - it can't do any harm right?
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/25 04:21:55 (permalink)
    Production and playing, again, all top notch.  Love the slide.  The problem for me is the song never seems to really go anywhere melodically.  It's cool sounding, attitude and all that, but it stays right there.  

I think the thing we all struggle with here, as amateurs, is writing eargasmic melodies.  Good performance and playing is not enough to sell records.  I think we kind of forgive each other here, and listen for the positives and recognize and appreciate potential - and talent, especially talent, and perhaps vision as well.  

What we don't do is listen as a fickle, a-hole consumer.  People buying records don't care how much we put into it, or appreciate what it took to achieve what we got, all on our own generally.  Has been a blow to my ego more than a dozen times.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/25 14:18:03 (permalink)
    RexRed
    The electric guitar slide part fits perfectly with the vocals but with the acoustic guitar slide there seems to be a compression and banding issue of some sort that to my ears conflicts with the vocals.

Still it is a great rock piece!

hey rex!
    thanks for listening

i can hear all of the vox clear as a bell,
    but then again,
    i choose to put the vocal just barely above the main energy level of the band,
    so that it is as much an instrument with the rest of the band, as a method of telling the story.
    some folks are quite used to hearing modern pop that has the vocals about 2 db louder than everything else, 
    but that's not a sound i'm fond of.
    still,
    so much in this stuff is subjective,
    and i take every critique and suggestion to heart,
    so thanks for the input.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/25 14:20:30 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    very cool Bats.
    Do I detect a slightly different musical direction with this one?
    I just shared your album announcement on Facebook - it can't do any harm right?

hi daryl,
    new direction, not really.....
    i just put these things out as they come into my head..

i always come up with super catchy simply rhythms and melodies when i'm in a sleep state....
    and completely forget them when i wake up!!

LOL

but this comes pretty much straight up for my love of acoustic zeppelin.
    but comes out my style no matter what.

i'll do quite a few more like this, and have in the past.

thanks for listening!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

batsbrew
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/25 14:26:27 (permalink)
    Voda La Void
    Production and playing, again, all top notch.  Love the slide.  The problem for me is the song never seems to really go anywhere melodically.  It's cool sounding, attitude and all that, but it stays right there.  

I think the thing we all struggle with here, as amateurs, is writing eargasmic melodies.  Good performance and playing is not enough to sell records.  I think we kind of forgive each other here, and listen for the positives and recognize and appreciate potential - and talent, especially talent, and perhaps vision as well.  

What we don't do is listen as a fickle, a-hole consumer.  People buying records don't care how much we put into it, or appreciate what it took to achieve what we got, all on our own generally.  Has been a blow to my ego more than a dozen times.  

voda,
    you know, when i'm listening to the radio, or streaming,
    and i hear a song that obviously starts to fit into a common 'format' of writing,
    and it's obvious, that turns me off.

but lots of people like for songs to go where they think they'll go,
    i call this formula music.

well,
    the great thing about this project of mine,
    is that i can be true to my own vision..
    and not think about having to 'fit' into the popular music categories.

i have other songs with the intent of burying the earworm.......
    heheh....

but most of these songs are, for me, just story telling.

i love the freedom of not trying to adhere to any rule that says 'ah yes, now THIS is commercially viable.'

i do want people to enjoy my stuff,
    and hope they 'get' the melodies and hooks and take them for what they're worth,
    so i write these things for myself first,
    and then for other like minded people.

most of the time, folks do get me, but i do not expect the 'majority' to get me...
    i don't write music for @ssholes,
    so if they ARE fickle,
    that's ok.

i'm good with it.

appreciate your ideas here, voda,
    just sorry this one didn't work for you.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: "Long Journey", from the new Bats Brew album "Trouble" 2018/04/25 15:45:59 (permalink)
    batsbrew

appreciate your ideas here, voda,
    just sorry this one didn't work for you.

Just to be clear, I was actually referring to your earlier comment about this project going over like a lead balloon in terms of sales.  

I'm built very similar to you as I eschew radio music and formula.  I like music to be exciting, with twists and turns, and unpredictable structures.  I like melodies that might take time to "get" - because they're more interesting, fresh, and those stick and last longer too. I've heard Tesseract songs that I really didn't care for at first, only to become favorite songs after the 3rd listen.  And then instrumental bands like Animals As Leaders can be challenging to mine the melodic elements out of, and again, totally hooks me once I "hear" it.  

That's why I like your music and talent.  This one didn't "work" for me, I guess, but it's still a cool song performed and engineered at a pro level, in my humbled opinion.  I just think consumers are too fickle to buy without that earworm, as you put it. 

So f*#k 'em...  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1