AnsweredHow is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ?

Author
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2018/04/22 23:27:48 (permalink)

How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ?

Just wondering what the situation is, and has been ? Is there any do or don'ts to be aware of ? 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 00:35:07 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby iRelevant 2018/04/23 00:50:23
AFAIK there are have been no issues with it for several years, and even then it was only a problem with external inserts. Of course, SONAR/Cakewalk has no way of knowing if a given plugin or interface driver is lying to it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
CTStump
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 00:45:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/23 00:52:23
As far as I know, Sonar has since 2002 had PDC in some form. It always allowed latency reporting from plugins to adjust playback to the highest delay in the path. As far as auxiliary and sub groups ouputs do have some delay if output is set to a seperate ouput other than master out, which is possible in other hosts, Abelton live comes to mind.

Is this a problem you have encountered or just out of curiosity?

One thing that is a problem though is how rewire is reported in MIDI timing, I have noticed in some vsti's and Appeggiators dropping sync after 8 measures. I believe it may be the Rewire protocol at fault due to it not reporting or buffering. May be something else altogether. Not a game changer, I simply load the synth and track in Sonar and everything syncs as it should.

Others may know more than I, hopefully they will chime in.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 00:51:54 (permalink)
[Edit]

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 00:58:44 (permalink)
CTStump
As far as I know, Sonar has since 2002 had PDC in some form. It always allowed latency reporting from plugins to adjust playback to the highest delay in the path. As far as auxiliary and sub groups ouputs do have some delay if output is set to a seperate ouput other than master out, which is possible in other hosts, Abelton live comes to mind.

Is this a problem you have encountered or just out of curiosity?

One thing that is a problem though is how rewire is reported in MIDI timing, I have noticed in some vsti's and Appeggiators dropping sync after 8 measures. I believe it may be the Rewire protocol at fault due to it not reporting or buffering. May be something else altogether. Not a game changer, I simply load the synth and track in Sonar and everything syncs as it should.

Others may know more than I, hopefully they will chime in.

Thanks, it's just curiosity. Sounds good. 

iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 00:59:32 (permalink)
bitflipper
AFAIK there are have been no issues with it for several years, and even then it was only a problem with external inserts. Of course, SONAR/Cakewalk has no way of knowing if a given plugin or interface driver is lying to it.

OK, Great :) Thank you, good to know. 

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 04:18:40 (permalink)
For the benefit of those who don't know what these guys here have been talking about:
PDC = Plugin Delay Compensation

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/23 15:24:02 (permalink)
So, if I'm used to turn on/off effect plugins during playback to hear the difference they bring to the sound, but the process isn't smooth and gapless, some sort of clicks and pops do appear quite often, and sometimes plugin's getting out of sync (you hear it clearly sounding wrong and need to stop playback to resume), isn't a kind of bug or some sort of flow in DAW's engine architecture? I always thought it's related to the way PDC is working in Sonar. Do other DAWs not having the same issue?

Maybe I need to change my habit of using the on/off button in FX bin, to the plugins bypass button. Problem is that not every plugin has a bypass button, and some have it working in an aberrant way.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/24 18:58:23 (permalink)
chris.r
So, if I'm used to turn on/off effect plugins during playback to hear the difference they bring to the sound, but the process isn't smooth and gapless, some sort of clicks and pops do appear quite often, and sometimes plugin's getting out of sync (you hear it clearly sounding wrong and need to stop playback to resume), isn't a kind of bug or some sort of flow in DAW's engine architecture? I always thought it's related to the way PDC is working in Sonar. Do other DAWs not having the same issue?

Maybe I need to change my habit of using the on/off button in FX bin, to the plugins bypass button. Problem is that not every plugin has a bypass button, and some have it working in an aberrant way.

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe turning the plug-in on and off forces a program with PDC to recalculate in case there has been a change. To do this in real time is a challenge. If you stop, turn off, and start, it's a much smoother process.

If the effect's bypass button is problematic, if there's a wet/dry mix control that might be a good alternative.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/04/24 19:13:25 (permalink)

post edited by mister happy - 2018/04/26 11:52:59

iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/24 19:25:48 (permalink)
chris.r

I don't know how the Audio Engine in Sonar works, but I imagine it is a fairly complex operation to calculate the Plugin Delay Compensation for a project. If you disable a plugin, I guess PDC needs to be recalculated for the entire project ... which might cause dropout during the process. I could also imagine any plug-in changing it's latency during operation ... say when a bypass switch is pushed ... could be problematic. 
Best approach for your case is probably what Mr. Anderton is suggesting.

iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/24 19:34:21 (permalink)
mister happy
Turning a plugin on and off only changes the observed latency if the plugin is latency inducing. Not many plugins are, and the ones that do usually have options to minimize or turn off the latency.

I'm wondering what a "latency inducing" plugin is ? 

mister happy
[...]
I have long been surprised by the lack of tutorial info made available by DAW makers and DAWxperts regarding the initial setup and testing of DAW synchronization. It seems like one of the most important aspects of multi tracking, but is rarely mentioned. 

Well, I consider it to be the dark secret of digital audio :) Not much talked about. 

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/24 21:15:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/25 14:55:08
I do not see PDC as complex. Plug-in (i) reports that it will create output for the input with delay X(i). After summing, each strip output is delayed from the input by (X0+X1+X2...Xn). When these outputs are mixed into some bus, "faster" strip should wait for "slower strip", so the mix is calculated from the output corresponding to the same original input. The bus can it turn add more delay, so summing different buses should be also synchronized.

F.e.

|-> Bus 1 (0 delay)     -->  |
Track    |                                      | --> Mix to Bus 4 (0.2s delay)---|
            |-> Bus 2 ( 1s delay) --->  |                                              |
            |                                                                                     | --> Mix to Bus 5
            |-> Bus 3 (0.3s delay)   -------------------------------------|

To mix things correctly, we need to:
* add 1s delay to Bus 1
* add 0.9s delay to Bus 3 (Bus 4 output is 1s + 0.2s, original Bus 3 delay 0.3, 1.2-0.3 = 0.9)

There are many ProTools videos where these "extra delays" should be added manually...
All (?) DAWs can add them automatically now.

Note that "Track" can be one or many since original material is assumed to be "in sync".

Sonar route audio in "real time", that means you hear the audio after 1.2 seconds it has entered the engine. That is problematic for live monitoring, so there is an option to disable the compensation: "Live input PDC Override". But that is also a problem for mixing, if you change some parameter of Bus 3, you will hear the result not before 0.9 later. So "mastering" plug-ins (which introduce such huge delays) should be avoided on any intermediate tracks/buses.

Some DAWs (Reaper, S1, other ?) use a "trick". They can "pre-calculate" a part of routing tree without live inputs. So the output of any such (sub)tree has always 0 (zero) effective delay, independent from which plug-ins are used. In this case, "PDC Override" is not required. In the example, Bus 3 changes will be delayed at MOST by 0.3s, so by own delay which can not be avoided.
The trick has yet another effect: if we pre-calculate ALL recorded material (f.e. 50-200ms), the processing is not strictly bound to the "real time" required by ASIO to avoid under-run. So it is possible to have the same "stability" as with huge buffers (2048, 4096 up to "normal" Windows Audio huge buffering) while keeping ASIO buffer size at minimum, where only live monitoring is still forced to be in real time (and during mixing and mastering there is no live input at all).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/04/24 21:27:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/25 15:36:58

post edited by mister happy - 2018/04/26 11:53:14

iRelevant
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/25 15:34:23 (permalink)
azslow3
I do not see PDC as complex. Plug-in (i) reports that it will create output for the input with delay X(i). After summing, each strip output is delayed from the input by (X0+X1+X2...Xn). When these outputs are mixed into some bus, "faster" strip should wait for "slower strip", so the mix is calculated from the output corresponding to the same original input. The bus can it turn add more delay, so summing different buses should be also synchronized.

F.e.

|-> Bus 1 (0 delay)     -->  |
Track    |                                      | --> Mix to Bus 4 (0.2s delay)---|
            |-> Bus 2 ( 1s delay) --->  |                                              |
            |                                                                                     | --> Mix to Bus 5
            |-> Bus 3 (0.3s delay)   -------------------------------------|

To mix things correctly, we need to:
* add 1s delay to Bus 1
* add 0.9s delay to Bus 3 (Bus 4 output is 1s + 0.2s, original Bus 3 delay 0.3, 1.2-0.3 = 0.9)

There are many ProTools videos where these "extra delays" should be added manually...
All (?) DAWs can add them automatically now.

Note that "Track" can be one or many since original material is assumed to be "in sync".

Sonar route audio in "real time", that means you hear the audio after 1.2 seconds it has entered the engine. That is problematic for live monitoring, so there is an option to disable the compensation: "Live input PDC Override". But that is also a problem for mixing, if you change some parameter of Bus 3, you will hear the result not before 0.9 later. So "mastering" plug-ins (which introduce such huge delays) should be avoided on any intermediate tracks/buses.

Some DAWs (Reaper, S1, other ?) use a "trick". They can "pre-calculate" a part of routing tree without live inputs. So the output of any such (sub)tree has always 0 (zero) effective delay, independent from which plug-ins are used. In this case, "PDC Override" is not required. In the example, Bus 3 changes will be delayed at MOST by 0.3s, so by own delay which can not be avoided.
The trick has yet another effect: if we pre-calculate ALL recorded material (f.e. 50-200ms), the processing is not strictly bound to the "real time" required by ASIO to avoid under-run. So it is possible to have the same "stability" as with huge buffers (2048, 4096 up to "normal" Windows Audio huge buffering) while keeping ASIO buffer size at minimum, where only live monitoring is still forced to be in real time (and during mixing and mastering there is no live input at all).

Thanks for your post Alslow3. Very informative. 

This pre-calculation trick is interesting, first time I hear about it. I guess there are limitations though, even though there is no live audio input during mixing and mastering ... I would consider recording of automation data to be a real time live input.

Not all contemporary DAW's have fool proof APDC btw ... I won't mention name(s?).

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: How is the status and history of PDC in Sonar ? 2018/04/25 18:51:52 (permalink)
iRelevant
This pre-calculation trick is interesting, first time I hear about it. I guess there are limitations though, even though there is no live audio input during mixing and mastering ... I would consider recording of automation data to be a real time live input.

Automations and visualization from plug-ins is influenced by pre-calculation. F.e. you first see the signal in EQ... and only hear it after a while
But in practice around 20ms in such cases is not a problem, human operations (except "automatic", f.e. drumming gestures) have huge "latency", in addition our brain easily adopt to natural range delays. Compare singing with 20ms latency in headphones (most people are sensible to over 5ms delays in such case) with playing MIDI keyboard with such latency (some people think they also need 5ms here, while they use MIDI connected keyboards... and it takes 10ms to transfer 10 finger chord).

Not all contemporary DAW's have fool proof APDC btw ... I won't mention name(s?).

From what I could see in the Internet, most problems are coming from plug-ins which do not report the delay correctly.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1