Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing

Author
drummerguy1010
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2018/04/23 02:00:52 (permalink)

Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing

Hello,

I have two bass audio tracks I recorded simultaneously, one distorted, one clean. I set the send levels on each bass track to -8 and 0 respectively, and sent that signal to a bass buss I created. On the bass buss, I have compression, limiter, EQ. I want to now bounce that audio from the bass buss to a new track. I selected the original two bass audio tracks, bounce to bus tracks with the source category as buses. But, when the new audio files show up in my mixer tracks, upon playing them, my sound card crashes via making either no sound, or popping/squealing/distortion, etc.

The same occurs if I omit the bus and just bounce the two into one and add the comp, lim, and EQ on the new bounced track.

It also does it when I select all the channels on EZ Drummer and try to bounce them to one track.

I'm running Win 7, Sonar X3 with the latest E update, intel core i7-3770 CPU @3.40 GHz, 16GB memory, 64 bit OS. I'm going through a Scarlett 2i2 into desk mounted speakers, and using that as the in/out on Sonar. (Though the same problem happens with my IK Stealth Pedal). Audio driver is maxed at 10ms buffer via settings, sample rate 44100.

Not sure what else I can do to stop the crashing. I'm getting to where I'm trying to mix/master this thing, and would like to eventually use the same setup to play out live.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

5 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing 2018/04/23 03:16:05 (permalink)
    Important- What are you using for the Plug ins? 

Not that is matters but why are you bouncing? 
    I just leave things like that alone I never feel a need to bounce anymore. Your computer is more than capable of playing a lot of Audio/midi and plug ins. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

drummerguy1010
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing 2018/04/23 17:21:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply,

T-Racks for classic eq, quad comp, and quad lim plugins. Amplitube for guitar/bass sounds, EZ Mix for drum effects and EZ Drummer.

I bounce mostly as I'm reading on what to do during the mixing/ mastering process since this is my first go around, and that's what I read to do. I figured it should be powerful enough but the hangups I've had made me question it.

I would eventually like to be able to play out solo with this system backing me and be able to send seperate signals to the house for venue mixing (bass, kick, snare, backing vox, etc) along with MIDI controlled lights, so I was hoping to have something more simple down the line with only a few tracks as opposed to the numbers i have now.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing 2018/04/23 20:05:26 (permalink)
    The article your read might have been old and yes people had to bounce to save CPU.
    As I said, I have never had to bounce.
    My projects are probably average with my band being all VST's - Bass , drums, organ,  piano sometimes horns and then the guitar and vocals are the only audio tracks. I use Pro channel on every audio track and then a few plugs on the master. 
    My CPU is never much over 20%. 
    I don't like the idea of bouncing because I change stuff right to the very end. 

I also make backing tracks for the 2 acts I'm in right now. One is standard dance party stuff the other is an acoustic duo where we play a lot of my originals. We make albums for that. 
    I mix all mine down to a split stereo. Bass on left and drums and keys on the right. 
    I have never found a need to have it broken down further. I use a Radial Trim two DI when playing the stages with a FOH mixer. 
    If you take the time to learn how to mix the Drums and keys there's no need to break it down further. So I use Win Amp for playback.. I control playback using a Stealth footswitch set up.  Has never crashed, I would never really 100%  trust Sonar. To complicated, and too slow between songs. With my footswitches I'm starting the next song as the last one ends.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jimmyrage music
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing 2018/04/24 00:54:56 (permalink)
    You must have some kind of bottleneck going on or some other problem. Your computer should be able to handle much more than that. Are you using ASIO drivers? Have you tried another usb port and cable? I would think you should be able to raise your buffer size more than 10ms for bouncing and playback. 
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Sonar X3 soundcard crash when bouncing and bussing 2018/04/24 03:54:38 (permalink)
    You mention 64 bit OS, but what about Sonar?  Is that 64 bit too? (If not, you aren't utilizing most of your ram).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1