Helpful ReplyCbB installation woes on Win 10 (Due to BitDefender AV) [SOLVED by Firewall Rules]

Author
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
2018/04/23 16:04:12 (permalink)

CbB installation woes on Win 10 (Due to BitDefender AV) [SOLVED by Firewall Rules]

I'm a SPlat user who has been dual booting Windows 7 and 10 for a long time (each has their own separate SSD and my BIOS lets me choose which to boot). I use Win 7 99% of the time and log on occasionally to Win 10 to do updates etc. I knew that one day I would be reluctantly forced to migrate to Win 10 but for various reasons have resisted, until now. 

Booted into Win 10 this morning - it did an update and....totally screwed up my Win 7 SSD. It won't boot, it won't repair (tried the Win 7 boot DVD and SpotMau Bootsuite). 

So I decided to cut my losses and spend the time bringing my Win 10 up to date. This included installing CbB which until now has been running nicely on Win 7 alongside SPlat. When I install BA on Win 10 and choose the install (CbB) option it opens a web browser (the donation page) and promptly shuts itself down so it doesn't get as far as installing CbB. I found the CbB executable from my Win 7 install and installed it that way and of course it is now stuck in demo mode (I have seen the other threads). However I cannot see a workable way to install it in Win 10 as BA shuts itself down when I tell it to install CbB. I have BitDefender AV and Malwarebytes (with the same settings as my Win 7 install). 

Any thoughts on why BA is shutting itself down and how to stop it doing this?

Thanks
ZT
post edited by ZincTrumpet - 2018/04/26 09:21:34
ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 16:39:08 (permalink)
To answer my own question I had a sneaking suspicion re BitDefender. Checked it's logs and it was blocking BA and powershell (although annoyingly didn't tell me that it was). 

Hopefully these issues will be resolved in a future release of BA (and/or BitDefender).

So, is it safe to un-install CbB when you have a fully working complete installation of SPlat?
The CbB un-install won't mess up anything in SPlat will it?

Then I can disable BitDefender and hopefully re-install CbB via BA.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 17:00:15 (permalink)
CbB uninstall will probably remove all the shared files used by both CbB and SONAR.

ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 18:21:58 (permalink)
Thanks Steve. I guess I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I will continue to use SPlat until an alternative solution is available.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 19:17:56 (permalink)
If the shared files are removed all you need to do to get them back is re-run the SONAR installer or rollback and roll forward using the Command Center. Assuming you don't reinstall CbB first.

ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 19:25:59 (permalink)
Ok I will bear that in mind. I have spent half the day updating windows 10 programs and the other half seeking a solution to the win 7 issue. Thought I had cracked it with a bcd rebuild but alas not.

Cheers
ionecake
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/23 23:16:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/04/24 08:47:41
Multi-booting can be problematic without a really good strategy to protect the boot drives/partitions from each other. What I've found effective is to use a third-party boot manager like TeraByte Unlimited's BootIt Bate Metal, OR, I use the BIOS, but I make sure to *disable* the alternate SATA port where the other boot drive is, making it impossible to be tampered with by any other boot drive/partition. Both of these approaches have worked on *many* workstations over the years.

As for antivirus, I've had some decent success with ESET, as it has never interfered with DAW installations, and it has a low CPU impact. I've tried about 5 other security suites, and always come back to ESET for the DAW.

Good luck!
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 06:53:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/04/24 11:03:48
I have Windows 10 with BitDefender installed and I do not have an issue with the BandLab Assistant.  I didn't have to add BA to any safe list it has just worked. Do you have a firewall that it blocking the application? 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 08:58:16 (permalink)
ionecake
Multi-booting can be problematic without a really good strategy to protect the boot drives/partitions from each other. What I've found effective is to use a third-party boot manager like TeraByte Unlimited's BootIt Bate Metal, OR, I use the BIOS, but I make sure to *disable* the alternate SATA port where the other boot drive is, making it impossible to be tampered with by any other boot drive/partition. Both of these approaches have worked on *many* workstations over the years.

As for antivirus, I've had some decent success with ESET, as it has never interfered with DAW installations, and it has a low CPU impact. I've tried about 5 other security suites, and always come back to ESET for the DAW.

Good luck!

Thanks, I should definitely have protected the Win 7 drive from before doing the Win 10 update. It had never happened before which lulled me into a false sense of security. Simply unplugging the Win 7 drive would have prevented the problem. I am still not quite there with the Win 7 installation (Winload.exe error). Annoyingly I can no longer access the drive from Win 10 (Access Denied) so I have to recover any files on it when booted into a recovery environment. Fortunately I have most data including Sonar Projects on other internal drives (and backed up to external drives) so it's really just programs/settings/bookmarks/Fences configs etc that I need to re-create. 

I switched to BitDefender from Kaspersky due to worries about the latter after reading good reviews for the former.
It seems a bit more "in your face" than Kaspersky and has also thrown up a few false positives that didn't bother Kaspersky. I have also switched off the app blocker as it usually interferes with installations.
ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 09:02:35 (permalink)
karhide
I have Windows 10 with BitDefender installed and I do not have an issue with the BandLab Assistant.  I didn't have to add BA to any safe list it has just worked. Do you have a firewall that it blocking the application? 

That is odd - are you on the same version as me BitDefender Total Security 2018? The only firewall I am using is the one with BitDefender. BandLab Assistant (3.0.6) seems to be running fine by the way and even autostarts in Win 10. The issue was when I tried to install CbB from BA. BitDefender blocked it and also powershell which seems to be invoked by the installation. 
karhide
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 09:31:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/04/24 11:06:55
ZincTrumpet
karhide

That is odd - are you on the same version as me BitDefender Total Security 2018? The only firewall I am using is the one with BitDefender. BandLab Assistant (3.0.6) seems to be running fine by the way and even autostarts in Win 10. The issue was when I tried to install CbB from BA. BitDefender blocked it and also powershell which seems to be invoked by the installation. 

I have BitDefender Plus 2018 and do not use the firewall.  Maybe try checking the options in the Firewall to allow BA to run.

Have you added BA to the Safe Files - Application Access list? 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 11:19:50 (permalink)
Thanks karhide, yes BA is in the Firewall rules and set to "Allow". 

Just tried recovering Win 7 using Neosmart WinRE which didn't work :( Still getting file error for winload.exe.

I had the Windows 10 SSD completely disconnected while doing this.

When I reconnected it and booted up it gave a disk error and Windows 10 wouldn't start!
After completely powering down and unplugging the mains for a few minutes I tried again and Win 10 booted but ran auto repair which fixed some disk errors and eventually booted (phew).

I'm going to call it a day with Windows 7 - extract any stuff I need to from the disk then remove all the windows partitions, wipe it and use it as a fast audio sample disk.

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 12:31:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/04/24 16:02:29
Ya gotta pick your battles, man. Heck, I eventually had to surrender to the likes of Native Instruments and just let them install Kontakt wherever they damn well like. I'm sure not going to take on Microsoft!

In your shoes, I'd be inclined to go with the flow and abandon W7. Stay positive; at least you got another SSD out of the deal.

BTW, using Defender here under W10 with no problems. But also no dual-boot. And I had to cripple it for non-musical reasons so it's only examining inbound data. All issues I've had involved network functions within my own LAN, e.g. being able to access SQL Server on my desktop from my laptop. It hasn't yet interfered with any software installs.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/24 16:02:20 (permalink)
Yeah you're right cheers bit :)

I was getting kinda fed up trying to keep two builds updated anyway, not to mention the disk space duplication.

However, I do now have a few software update issues to sort out in Win 10.... 

- Steinberg activations from Win 7 don't work in Win 10 and I can't see any way to get new ones from My Steinberg account. Raised a support ticket with them.

- I had a few Kontakt libraries on my Win 7 SSD which my Win 10 install of Kontakt was pointing to and are now showing up as broken. Got to work out how to safely remove them and re-install them.

- I had a few Sampletank libs most of which are fine as the Win 7 & 10 systems both pointed to a common sample folder elsewhere. However, I notice that Syntronik Pro-V is shown as locked which makes me think it probably installed the samples somewhere else.

At least SPlat seems to be fine in Win 10; just had to install a few recent purchases (e.g. Soundtoys & Waves) and all seems OK for now. CbB will need sorting but at least SPlat is working for now.
ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/26 09:18:28 (permalink)
I managed to get CbB working by uninstalling the demo mode version then re-installing from within BA (worked fine this time with BA allowed in the Firewall rules). SPlat still seems OK after doing that fingers crossed.

Just need to sort out:

Kontakt - it is unable to find the libraries that were on my Win 7 SSD which I need to re-install elsewhere and Native Access is out of step with what I do have installed. Probably just need to re-install the latter in NA on Win 10.

Steinberg - Cubase Elements 9.5, Halion Sonic 3 and Halion Symphonic Orchestra aren't showing in my Soft Elicenser and it is showing as deprecated on MySteinberg website. The Steinberg support ticket has now been unanswered for 2 days. 
karhide
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/26 10:20:32 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
I managed to get CbB working by uninstalling the demo mode version then re-installing from within BA (worked fine this time with BA allowed in the Firewall rules). SPlat still seems OK after doing that fingers crossed.

Just need to sort out:

Kontakt - it is unable to find the libraries that were on my Win 7 SSD which I need to re-install elsewhere and Native Access is out of step with what I do have installed. Probably just need to re-install the latter in NA on Win 10.

Steinberg - Cubase Elements 9.5, Halion Sonic 3 and Halion Symphonic Orchestra aren't showing in my Soft Elicenser and it is showing as deprecated on MySteinberg website. The Steinberg support ticket has now been unanswered for 2 days. 

Glad you sorted out the CbB install and sounds like a reinstall of the others might sort it out. 

ZincTrumpet
Re: CbB great on Win 7 but installation woes on Win 10 2018/04/26 10:49:52 (permalink)
Thanks karhide, yes I'm hopefully getting there :)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1