Helpful ReplyMagix Announces ACID Pro 8

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
2018/04/19 22:10:37 (permalink)

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/21 23:42:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/04/21 23:47:31
Like 10 years too late
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/22 17:12:34 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Like 10 years too late

AP 7 still working fine. Too bad they don't have a separate midi editing window.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
dubdisciple
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/22 17:29:09 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
dubdisciple
Like 10 years too late

AP 7 still working fine. Too bad they don't have a separate midi editing window.

Unless they included some ableton killer features, not worth the money. My old acid works fine
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/23 07:16:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry2 2018/12/11 20:19:10
I'd upgrade for $50 for 64bit. Can't justify any more than that personally.

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/23 11:16:10 (permalink)
I guess it's live now, but this seems really weak:

VST3 support coming soon in a free update

https://www.magix.com/us/music/acid-pro/

-Matt

Royal Yaksman
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/23 16:44:16 (permalink)
Supposedly Magix reckon we can "experience unparalleled midi sequencing."???

Royal Yaksman

HP Phoenix i7 3.9ghz 7600 - Roland Quad Capture - CbB - SD2 Metal Foundry/Roots Stix - NI Komplete 8 - Amplitube 3 & 4 - Addictive Drums 2 - Halion 6 - Izotope Musician Bundle - Waves Stuff - Melodyne Studio - AIR 3 - Revoice 3 - Sssshhhhh don't tell anyone but also Studio One 4 - Cubase 9.5 - Samplitude Pro X3 - FL Studio 20 - Mixbus 4 - Reaper 5 - And a big arsed pocket full of dreams (deceased or otherwise.)
msorrels
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/24 01:14:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/04/24 12:37:56
So I bought the upgrade, more for old times sake than need.  I still love ACID and how it worked and what doors it opened for me.  The new UI isn't all that new or good, it's at best a bad coat of paint.  They seemed to have made little or no changes to how it all works.  If it was awkward or bad in Pro 7.0, it's still awkward and bad in 8. 

None of the new plugins seem to work outside of it (though I didn't even try the effects just the VSTis).  There aren't really that many included plugins to be honest, they have a "rompler" and a set of sounds for it, based on Yellow Tools Independence.  It's not very impressive.  A weak synth and a slice player without a lot of features.

Video support is limited to AVI and WMV files.

The MIDI editor appears to be the same as it was (though my memory isn't that good on the details).

It seemed to have a lot of trouble scanning all my Native Instrument plugins.  Had to kill the scanner a few times to get it to go through, but I was able to select each one in the Failed list and rescan it and get them added.  I suspect the problem has to do with Visual C++ Runtimes and or shared libraries.  Oddly enough their own plugins didn't make it through the scan and had to be rescaned.  But again I suspect it's one or more of my other plugins that caused the problem.  The sfvstserver app runs two processes, the first one uses less memory and starts another as the actual scanner.  If that one hangs (it hanged for every NI plugin I have, which is a lot) you can kill it and it will continue on.  Pretty much the same thing I saw with SF12 trial.

To get the instruments and loops you have to use a menu item under Help menu, "Download instruments and Loop Collections"  The loops they include aren't very impressive compared to what Sonic Foundry/Sony used to ship.  MAGIX isn't exactly artist friendly with their licensing either.  I'm not even sure I can use any of the loops they include.  They do send you a code to purchase one of five packages on their store, it appears the code works with buying the commercial unlimited use version, which I guess is something.

It doesn't really scale to my 4k monitor very well. But then most DAWs don't so I'm not sure I should give them that hard a time over it.  Most of the dialogs and non-main screen are still using classic Windows UI.  It's not really fully themed.

The upgrade should have been $49.99 at most.  It is 64bit which I guess is something, but not much more than that.  I'm hoping to find some other minor improvements but so far its all about the 64bit and the bad UI make over.

-Matt

Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/24 12:37:51 (permalink)
msorrels

The upgrade should have been $49.99 at most.  It is 64bit which I guess is something, but not much more than that.  I'm hoping to find some other minor improvements but so far its all about the 64bit and the bad UI make over.

How this translates to me is: "wait for a Humble Bundle deal".

Thanks for the review Matt...very helpful.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
dubdisciple
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/24 18:58:55 (permalink)
Matt, thanks.  sorta what I expected.  
msorrels
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/24 19:56:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2018/04/26 13:24:34
Well I've played with a bit more and my initial thoughts are pretty much unchanged.  They just recompiled it and shoe horned in some color changes and new icons (that aren't what I'd call pro or high quality).  They didn't actually address any of the issues nor did they improve or modernize anything.  It's still ACID, but then so was 7.0.  The 64bitness is a win, but they had 10 years.

It no longer has Quicktime support (since there is no 64bit Quicktime) and thus it can't load MP4s or MOV files.  I had thought they would do what they did with Vegas but no.  There is a Quicktime IO provider DLL (in a format Sony/SF never documented publicly, so you can't write your own) but it doesn't seem to work/do anything.  Perhaps it is 32bit only (yes the 32bit version is still selectable when you install).  So compared to 7.0 there is actually less video support.  They could have added ffmpeg support and gotten a ton of video support, but again, no.

Oddly enough in the directory it installs is the old 7.0 ACID_readme.htm file.  They didn't even bother making one for 8.0

It still has commands to publish to Acid Planet, which I guess is still running.  Odd they didn't try and funnel stuff to MAGIX offerings.

I still love the paint loops UI mechanism and have often wished SONAR, Cubase, Repear or Abelton would have some option to work that way.

They could have done so much more.  If I had done the trial I wouldn't have bothered buying the upgrade.  I would recommend that they quit offering/remove the trial, all it will do is convince people not to buy this.

-Matt

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/24 20:37:56 (permalink)
Thanks Matt.  I'll just fire up Acid Pro 6 if I get the urge to paint loops. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/25 02:01:25 (permalink)
I used to fire up Acid every now and then because for years it did a few unique things quickly.  At this point though, damn near every program does what Acid does, but better and faster. other programs actually handle acidized loops better than Acid now. I'll pass.  I'm not even sure i would upgrade at $49
kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/26 00:45:15 (permalink)
msorrels
So I bought the upgrade, more for old times sake than need.  I still love ACID and how it worked and what doors it opened for me.  The new UI isn't all that new or good, it's at best a bad coat of paint.  They seemed to have made little or no changes to how it all works.  If it was awkward or bad in Pro 7.0, it's still awkward and bad in 8. 

None of the new plugins seem to work outside of it (though I didn't even try the effects just the VSTis).  There aren't really that many included plugins to be honest, they have a "rompler" and a set of sounds for it, based on Yellow Tools Independence.  It's not very impressive.  A weak synth and a slice player without a lot of features.

Video support is limited to AVI and WMV files.

The MIDI editor appears to be the same as it was (though my memory isn't that good on the details).

It seemed to have a lot of trouble scanning all my Native Instrument plugins.  Had to kill the scanner a few times to get it to go through, but I was able to select each one in the Failed list and rescan it and get them added.  I suspect the problem has to do with Visual C++ Runtimes and or shared libraries.  Oddly enough their own plugins didn't make it through the scan and had to be rescaned.  But again I suspect it's one or more of my other plugins that caused the problem.  The sfvstserver app runs two processes, the first one uses less memory and starts another as the actual scanner.  If that one hangs (it hanged for every NI plugin I have, which is a lot) you can kill it and it will continue on.  Pretty much the same thing I saw with SF12 trial.

To get the instruments and loops you have to use a menu item under Help menu, "Download instruments and Loop Collections"  The loops they include aren't very impressive compared to what Sonic Foundry/Sony used to ship.  MAGIX isn't exactly artist friendly with their licensing either.  I'm not even sure I can use any of the loops they include.  They do send you a code to purchase one of five packages on their store, it appears the code works with buying the commercial unlimited use version, which I guess is something.

It doesn't really scale to my 4k monitor very well. But then most DAWs don't so I'm not sure I should give them that hard a time over it.  Most of the dialogs and non-main screen are still using classic Windows UI.  It's not really fully themed.

So did you install all of the bloat? Seems like the loops are not worth it.  There's supposedly some included instruments. Do they have options to install the bloat off the C drive?

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
msorrels
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/26 02:02:44 (permalink)
I installed everything.  It installed all the "content" to my MAGIX Content dir which is off my C: drive.  I don't remember it asking me where the MAGIX content drive was though, I think that got set way back when I installed the MAGIX Music Maker app.

The "instruments" are just sample sets for the Rompler (Vita) they include.  Here's the top level directories of the loops (9gigs worth):
  • EDM - Discharge
  • HipHop - Official
  • Metal - Heaven's Call
  • Pop Rock - New World
  • Rhythm and SFX Collection
  • Trap - Future Bass Anthem

Here's the instruments:
  • Analog Synths
  • Choir
  • Church Organ
  • Cinematic Synth
  • Concert Grand
  • Concert Grand LE
  • Drum Engine
  • Electric Bass
  • Electric Piano
  • Jazz Drums
  • Pop Drums
  • Rock Drums
  • Urban Drums
  • Vintage Organ
  • Vita

None of it is worth keeping really.  And the plugins only work in it, so no general usefulness.

-Matt

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/26 05:06:27 (permalink)
I bought the Humble Bundle Sound of Music and only installed Acid Pro 7 & SOUND FORGE Pro 11.
Am I missing anything of value in the rest?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
msorrels
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/04/26 11:05:07 (permalink)
MAGIX Music Maker isn't really worth installing.  I wanted to see what it was like, but given the license on their soundpacks (non-commercial) I don't think it's really worth using in general. 

I skipped the Sound Of Music bundle though so I'm not sure what it has.  I picked up the video one which is how I got Music Maker.  I suspect the next time I go through and purge things that aren't worth keeping, I'll uninstall it.

-Matt

kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/09 18:03:01 (permalink)
 Still on the fence about getting the upgrade.

I know some prefer the original color scheme.

The major difference is 64bit support.  I don't think I would use Acid to where it exceeds the 4gb limit. Major developers still install 32bit by default (Waves, Melda).  Most modern softsynths still install 32bit like Sylenth, NI, Image Line. 

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 12:33:46 (permalink)

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

msorrels
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 14:00:34 (permalink)
Does ACID 7 still work on your computer?  If it does I'd say it all boils down to how much you want to use 64bit plugins without jBridge in ACID.  They still haven't added VST3 support.  They have done a couple of updates but none that added anything (or maybe I can't remember and I can't seem to find a detailed change log).

It's not bad really, it is pretty much ACID 7 recompiled for 64bits with some bad color changes.  And I do love ACID a lot, still even today.  And no Cakewalk/SONAR/Cubase/Ableton/REAPER none of them even come close to the workflow ACID has.  They all can do the same basic things with loops sure, but not quite the way ACID does it.

They appear to be bundling it with other products now, most likely because it's not selling all that well.  At one point SF/Sony considered ACID Pro a professional level DAW.  I don't think Magix thinks of it that way.

I think you could spend the money on other things and be just as happy.  I'm certainly not using it myself even though I love how it works.

-Matt

Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 15:59:57 (permalink)
I had their video NLE years ago. It was horrible. So many bugs it was ridiculous. Everybody complained to them about it but they kept coming out with new releases that never addressed the old problems. I was very upset when I heard they bought Sony Vegas. (Don't really care about Acid.) No way I'll ever buy another Magix product.

Bill
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 16:05:41 (permalink)
I keep getting their sale emails to upgrade my old copy for 99.00. I think I have Acid Pro 7 on my old DAW I haven't booted up in 4 years.
I haven't jumped on that sale yet, mainly because I bought Mixcraft 8 Pro which has  programmers from Sonic Foundry on the staff. It does everything Acid does and a lot more. Doesn't seem to have a problem with formats and plugins. Mixcraft just recieved an update that was free to current users. Has great movie capability and is simple to use. 
I would still probably buy ACID for old times sake if they offered it to me of 49.95. I liked Acid. I have similar in Mixcraft. CbB  accepts  both REx and Acid loops. You can use loops and stay in Cakewalk. TBH I don't work with loops very often any more. Msorrels I am a bit deflated that the included loops in ACID aren't that great. 

Recently I needed a fast song and I didn't have much time so I decided to try building the basics of it from loops.
I had a very nice sounding 12 bar blues song in Mixcraft in less than 30 minutes. Drums, bass and rhythm guitar.
I didn't try very hard either. It was actually fun and easy to do. Same concept as ACID.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 17:09:14 (permalink)
msorrels
Does ACID 7 still work on your computer?  If it does I'd say it all boils down to how much you want to use 64bit plugins without jBridge in ACID.  They still haven't added VST3 support.  They have done a couple of updates but none that added anything (or maybe I can't remember and I can't seem to find a detailed change log).

It's not bad really, it is pretty much ACID 7 recompiled for 64bits with some bad color changes.  And I do love ACID a lot, still even today.  And no Cakewalk/SONAR/Cubase/Ableton/REAPER none of them even come close to the workflow ACID has.  They all can do the same basic things with loops sure, but not quite the way ACID does it.

They appear to be bundling it with other products now, most likely because it's not selling all that well.  At one point SF/Sony considered ACID Pro a professional level DAW.  I don't think Magix thinks of it that way.

I think you could spend the money on other things and be just as happy.  I'm certainly not using it myself even though I love how it works.

Yes it does.  If they developed a full separate piano roll this was going to be my DAW.  Acid is the only reason why I keep 32 bit plugins.  They all seem to work.

kitekrazy1
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 17:14:28 (permalink)

Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 19:28:45 (permalink)
Acid was my first DAW. I was using it long before Sony bought it.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
abacab
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/10 23:40:31 (permalink)
I still have Acid Pro 6 on my computer, although it is stuck in 32-bit, just like my Cakewalk Project5.  Bummer.

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/11 05:21:39 (permalink)
I still use their CD Architect 5.2 on my Windows 10 Pro computer.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/11 05:26:04 (permalink)
abacab
I still have Acid Pro 6 on my computer, although it is stuck in 32-bit, just like my Cakewalk Project5.  Bummer.

How is Project 5 working out for you and are you still able to work with it or is it too out dated for Win 10 Pro?
I still have my Project 5 Box with the DVD.  I though about pulling the DVD out and installing it but was too afraid of the outcome. 

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/11 16:14:56 (permalink)
I'm pretty happy so far with my experiences using Acid Pro 8 .
IMHO , The added plugs and instruments from Magix are a welcome addition to Acid Pro .
Yeah so What ...they are locked to the program ..
As far as my thoughts go , a great deal of the standard Magix plugs and instruments are much better than what people give them credit for
When I want to use them outside of Acid Pro 8 I will fire up Samplitude X 3 Suite or Samplitude X2 Standard ..

The darker GUI has some folks a little miffed . I happen to like it . It is not too far off from Cakewak by BandLab , Studio 1 Pro , Harrison Mixbus 3, 4, , 5 or Reaper ( stock GUI ) . Maybe at some point in the future it may get a few newer skins .
If that don't happen I'm still Cool w it .

Like many , I waited 10 flipping years   During that time " I let it be " .

I started with  Acid Pro 4 . Then went to Acid Music Studio 6 ,  Acid Music Studio 10 , and then to Acid Pro 7 .
When I got Acid Pro 8 I was pleasantly surprised . Even after having it for 6 months or so I'm still happy with it 

I'm more of a here and now type of guy so when I factor in all the cool stuff I have spent money on , you know all the CC Larry deals on plugins, VST  instruments , and when you also factor in and add whatever deals I have managed to scrounge the money to snag  . I have found they have a place in Acid Pro 8 .
IMHO,   The 3 rd part stuff filled in a few holes and gaps .
We all know the program itself has the potential to be pretty cool .
When you factor in the "Acid Pro workflow " and the ease of getting a new musical idea started , Acid Pro 8 may win over a few reluctant people that are on the fence ...

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

abacab
Re: Magix Announces ACID Pro 8 2018/12/11 21:55:08 (permalink)
Jesse G
abacab

How is Project 5 working out for you and are you still able to work with it or is it too out dated for Win 10 Pro?
I still have my Project 5 Box with the DVD.  I though about pulling the DVD out and installing it but was too afraid of the outcome. 

P5 v2 still runs on Win 10, but...

1. you can only use 32-bit plugins. 
2. it is single threaded only, so even if you have 10 cores, it will only run on one of them. 
3. you are stuck with the 2GB RAM limitations of a 32-bit app

Other than that it still works on Win 10.  But I really haven't used it that much because of the 32-bitness.  It is something I would like to see BandLab update to 64-bit.

When you open it up, it is really hard to understand why Cake threw in the towel on it.  It was ahead of it's time.

P5 was probably better with MIDI back in those days than the competition, because it was primarily designed to be a soft synth workstation, but V2 added audio recording and the Groove Matrix.  The Groove Matrix is way better than the Matrix view in Sonar.  Something more along the lines of the Ableton Live Session View for clip launching.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1