Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played?

Author
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
2018/05/09 16:13:58 (permalink)

Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played?

If I have a soft synth (Omnisphere in my case) playing a basic sine wave, if I play the same note, same velocity, same length, bar after bar, should it be identical for each note?   That is what I was expecting anyway, but when bouncing a track to audio I'm getting different looking wave files for each note, not by much but still not identical.   I thought a basic sine wave should really be exactly the same each time.   Is this the expected behaviour?

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud

5 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played? 2018/05/09 16:27:58 (permalink)
    Depending on how internal clocks are synced to oscillators, LFOs and the transport, it is very possible to get variations in even the same MIDI performance. I am not familiar with Omnisphere, so not sure what sync options are available, but what you are seeing is a big reason patch points and aux tracks (to record those real-time) was pushed. Some performances cannot be replicated even recording the MIDI because of internal sync.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played? 2018/05/09 17:44:31 (permalink)
    To add to what mettelus said:

There are generally 2 approaches to this in digital synth oscs:

1. The osc starts from zero (or whatever fixed point in its cycle) every time you play a note.

2. "free running" - this is done to be like analog oscs where the osc is continually running in the background and potentially every note starts at a different point in the cycle.

This also can apply to LFO's, and there may also be other random (or seemingly random) differences built into the synth, often to make it "more analog like".

I don't know about Omni.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played? 2018/05/09 17:49:17 (permalink)
    Additionally, unless you are using an oscilloscope plugin to examine the waveform, you will generally see the samples taken at different points in the cycle based on the difference between the sampling rate and the frequency of the oscillator.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played? 2018/05/09 20:43:24 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA
    should it be identical for each note?
    when bouncing a track to audio I'm getting different looking wave files for each note, not by much but still not identical.

Not seeing what the waveforms look like it's hard to guess what may be going on.  However, if the per-note differences are more than just the phase (position at which the waveform goes from negative to positive), then something is making the sine wave into something other than a sine wave.  It could be the oscillator (maybe applying some kind of "analog-ization" processing) or something further down the line (compression, distortion, who knows?).  A sine wave is a pretty basic building block, and if that waveform is malformed, it's probably not the oscillator doing a bad job, so some other factor must be involved.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Is Sine wave in soft synth identical each time its played? 2018/05/09 22:18:13 (permalink)
    Read the Omni manual from around page 400 onward. It talks about the various controls that determine where in the waveform the OSC will trigger from when a note is pressed. It seems it can be set either way. Usually in most quality synths it can be set to do either.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1