Helpful ReplyEQ for MIDI?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mwmcbroom
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 100
2018/05/19 20:44:15 (permalink)

EQ for MIDI?

I'm not a Sonar expert -- I have barely a working knowledge of it. Hasn't stopped me from loading it up with a bunch of VSTs though. But I'm stumped in that I haven't found anything like an EQ for MIDI. Why is that? Does such an animal exist, and if so, is there a particular one you like most?

There are several TTS-1 instruments I use on a regular basis, and a few instruments from other modules, that could really use a good EQ.

Is the solution to record the MIDI tracks to audio tracks, so I can get at the heap of effects available for audio?
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 21:12:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2018/05/19 23:26:07
You can’t, as such, eq midi.

When you’re working with a Soft Synth, you put the eq on the audio track.

Cheers,
Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 21:20:45 (permalink)
You can also add the EQ, as well as any other FX you want, like reverb, compression etc, to a bus in the mixer or console view. The only FX available to midi are things like chorusing, velocity etc.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

randyman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 21:22:45 (permalink)
As joakes indicated, you can't.  MIDI is nothing but an instruction to trigger a sound module/synth/vst, etc. as to what note to play, what channel it is being played on, how long, how hard, etc.

The EQ would be applied to the audio that the sound module produces.  In your setup, you should route the audio of the sound canvas module to an audio track to record it.  Then you can process it anyway you want as indicated.

You should look into some soft synths - several worthy ones came with other editions of Sonar thru the years... I'm not sure what came with Artist if any.  If you look around some, you can find several - though the ones that are truly worthy will cost something (IMHO).

Good luck!

A rack of noisemakers is not a definitive substitute for creativity. (though it does seem to help)

what I spend my lunch time doing:  (don't laugh - its just for fun!) www.soundclick.com/rnewburn

mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 23:23:27 (permalink)
Yeah, okay, this makes sense. I may not like it, but it makes sense. Out of frustration, and telling myself I'd dragged my feet long enough, I bounced a melody track to audio so I could access the Sonitus EQ. And all I gotta say is, what took me so long? Geez, what a difference. I was finally able to filter a couple of annoying characteristics out of an otherwise nice sounding instrument. So I guess this is what I'll do from now on.

Now, I have known for quite some time that if I have only a single instrument associated with a soft synth, then I can use FX for the soft synth to get the sounds I wanted for that single instrument, but the stumbling block for me had been what to do with a single instrument when several were being handled by a single soft synth. Well, now I know.

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 23:28:02 (permalink)
mwmcbroom

Now, I have known for quite some time that if I have only a single instrument associated with a soft synth, then I can use FX for the soft synth to get the sounds I wanted for that single instrument, but the stumbling block for me had been what to do with a single instrument when several were being handled by a single soft synth. Well, now I know.

Or setup a multi-out scenario (look it up). IOW an audio track for each "sound" then apply effects on each of the tracks where it is desired.
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 23:33:00 (permalink)
Guys please, give me a break... You really never EQed MIDI with sysex messages??
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 23:41:54 (permalink)
Every VST instrument I use has EQ up the yin yang in the GUI interface. Take Addictive drums, You can EQ each kit piece. Even lowly TTS_1 has EQ   See the pink square at the top, click that and this widow opens. But that said, to the OP- you should really explore the much better VST instruments Go to my tutorial and it shows you how to replace the TTS_1 with better sounding stuff. See my signature. 

For solo instruments, like Bass you can use the Pro Channel EQ on the VST audio track.  
This is not rocket science folks. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/19 23:59:02 (permalink)
Nope, chris, I've never had the occasion -- or need -- to delve into sysex arcana

Johnny, I've messed around some with TTS-1's pop-up interface, but I never could get it to do anything. Dunno what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the reminder. I do need to spend more time on your tutorials. Hrm -- I've always found TTS-1 to be quite good, for the most part. Couldn't hurt to find something better, I suppose.

Daibhidh
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 06:59:49 (permalink)
It's easy to EQ 'midi'.
If it's a vst, when you add the instrument make sure there's an audio output track.

Then you can EQ the audio output track however you like through the pro-channel EQ or other EQs in the effects bin.

If you're feeding a midi sound module into your soundcard, just use Input echo and add a fast EQ and that's it.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 11:03:42 (permalink)
chris.r
Guys please, give me a break... You really never EQed MIDI with sysex messages??

That is not the same thing.  If EQ is available via the synth used it is applied to the audio out internally of the synth not to the MIDI. If it were just the MIDI data that can't be EQed. Sysex is a way to control a synth using MIDI in much the same way MIDI can be used to control a Control surface.  

Best
John
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 13:40:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ericyeoman 2018/05/20 16:11:26
I know that with Yamaha MU series units, you can send sysex commands to change the EQ curve of your entire MIDI file played back through these units. 

This would be the only way you can have EQ for MIDI is if the synth you are using (hardware or VST) supports the changing of EQ settings in the synth itself via MIDI commands.

Another example are the Applied Acoustics System VSTs.  These all have an effects section that includes an EQ.  The EQ parameters can be changed using MIDI NRPN commands sent to these particular synths.

In Cakewalk, these parameters are even available (and are listed) in the PRV as NRPN events which can be added in the same say as other controllers can.

Once again, it does depend on the synth and what parameters they have mapped to MIDI NRPN commands.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 14:19:51 (permalink)
Open TTS interface(synth edit GUI), click on the edit button on the top of the mixer channel for the Instrument you want to EQ and another popup window will open with EQ, filter, Character, Vibrato and Envelope controls. You must turn the EQ on with the button above it. As you tweak the knobs play notes as it only updates after a note on event. Once you are done close windows and save your project and your settings will be saved in TTS. Another thing, if you use the Drum Kits in TTS you can edit each drum piece, you can replace each piece and build your own kit. And still another thing, if you use a controller the conrols are mapped to the standard controls and respond without binding and for me work without programming but you still have to turn on the EQ and bind those crontrols as they are specific to TTS.

Of course all of this is in the provided "Help" file that is loaded in the "Shared DXi" folder where Sonar is installed.

If you like TTS, use it, I do all the time its great for scratch and final sound production. As you delve deeper into the interface you find it may be all you need and is light on resources and very dependable as it has and will be for me.

Hope that helps.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

randyman
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 14:59:07 (permalink)
Technically speaking, in the examples given above, sysex, control panel on the module, one is not eq'ing midi.  It is applying eq to the audio output triggered by midi.  The sounding device connected to the midi input stream may allow access to the tone controls of the sound module, and that could be very specific to that module.

(not trying to beat a dead horse here - just adding for clarity)

A rack of noisemakers is not a definitive substitute for creativity. (though it does seem to help)

what I spend my lunch time doing:  (don't laugh - its just for fun!) www.soundclick.com/rnewburn

Cactus Music
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 16:16:54 (permalink)
mwmcbroom
Nope, chris, I've never had the occasion -- or need -- to delve into sysex arcana

Johnny, I've messed around some with TTS-1's pop-up interface, but I never could get it to do anything. Dunno what I was doing wrong. Thanks for the reminder. I do need to spend more time on your tutorials. Hrm -- I've always found TTS-1 to be quite good, for the most part. Couldn't hurt to find something better, I suppose.

The TTs-1 interface is very basic and I myself do not use it. Only thing I'll use is the Reverb and the Chorus. I was just pointing out that most all VST have built in Effects, compressors, reverb and EQ. One can mess with them and see if that is what works. In the better quality VST's you might get exactly what you want. But otherwise often the reverb's are terrible and the EQ does little as you just said. Then we use the better quality tools we have via the Pro Channel etc.  
I'm just thinking you were needing to tweak the sounds in a desperate attempt to make them sound better. This is where trying other VST's which high quality samples comes in. Those have a rich full sound right away without tweaking. 

I still use TTS_1 to "OPEN" a midi file and see if it will work for a song I'm going to do. I mostly want a good drum track. The rest I can re-do. 
I should post an example of a song with a "before" and "after" where the first is pure TTS-1 and second is after I replaced the instruments. It is like night and day. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 16:22:39 (permalink)
randyman
Technically speaking, in the examples given above, sysex, control panel on the module, one is not eq'ing midi.  It is applying eq to the audio output triggered by midi.  The sounding device connected to the midi input stream may allow access to the tone controls of the sound module, and that could be very specific to that module.

(not trying to beat a dead horse here - just adding for clarity)

I also don't want to beat a dead horse, but for completeness it's worth noting that SFZ files have opcodes to edit filters. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 19:06:11 (permalink)
Cactus Music
mwmcbroom

The TTs-1 interface is very basic and I myself do not use it. Only thing I'll use is the Reverb and the Chorus.
< . . . >
I'm just thinking you were needing to tweak the sounds in a desperate attempt to make them sound better. This is where trying other VST's which high quality samples comes in. Those have a rich full sound right away without tweaking. 

I still use TTS_1 to "OPEN" a midi file and see if it will work for a song I'm going to do. I mostly want a good drum track. The rest I can re-do. 

Hey Johnny, I just went through your tutorial again. I realize now that I'd partially gone through it months ago. Thought it sounded familiar. Anyway, I'd like to address a few points you make, mostly that you've replaced TTS-1 with much better VSTs. Well, in your tutorial, what you've done is replace it with the SI drums and SI bass for those tracks and Strum Session 2 for the guitars. (You deleted the organ tracks) Well, I already know about these Cakewalk-specific soft synths, and have used them on occasion, as well as others, such as SI Strings (excellent by the way) and the Cakewalk Sound Center, which has a few halfway decent sounds. I also make fairly heavy use of Sforzando, which came to me by way of Band in a Box, one of its included soft synths. It has a couple of very useful guitar sounds. I have even, on occasion, saved a few of the Band in a Box tracks as .wav files to bring into SPlat because some of its native MIDI sounds are actually that good. One thing to note -- you refer to (and show) the BT Brickwall Limiter -- it isn't included in SPlat, apparently. I have available in SPlat the Sonitus Compressor and Compressor/Gate, which I realize aren't the same thing, but perhaps fairly close. There doesn't appear to be a Limiter included with SPlat.

In defense of TTS-1 once again, and this is coming at you as a classical guitarist who's been playing the instrument since 1972, I find that many synths barely give a passing yawn to nylon strings. TTS-1 fortunately isn't one of them. I especially like the voice "nylon o" found when you load the Preset Normal 2 bank of sounds. Conversely, the nylon string patches found in Strum Session 2 all sound as if the Ovation nylon string, with its plastic box, was used for the modeling. I can hear that plastic. It's not bad, it's just not really good. On a nylon string guitar, there's no substitute for a really premium quality set of back and sides hardwoods. The harder, the more bell-like sounding, the better -- they really do affect the sound of a nylon string guitar, often in a dramatic fashion. (And this is coming from a builder of classical guitars since 2004)

You do point out some useful processes that I haven't used so far, such as assigning the outputs to a stereo bus out. Haven't done that before. I just send my "outs" to my Synths, and send their outs to my sound card. But I guess having the stereo bus in the mix can help things.

post edited by mwmcbroom - 2018/05/20 23:48:33
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 19:18:25 (permalink)
mwmcbroom
 It has a couple of very useful guitar sounds. One thing to note -- you refer to (and show) the BT Brickwall Limiter -- it isn't included in SPlat, apparently. I have available in SPlat the Sonitus Compressor and Compressor/Gate, which I realize aren't the same thing, but perhaps fairly close. There doesn't appear to be a Limiter included with SPlat.

The Nomad Blue Tubes plug-ins including the BT Brickwall BW2S-3 and BT Limiter LM2S-3 are bundled with Platinum. Later versions of Platinum also included the Adaptive Limiter.
John
Forum Host
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 20:51:56 (permalink)
promidi
I know that with Yamaha MU series units, you can send sysex commands to change the EQ curve of your entire MIDI file played back through these units. 

This would be the only way you can have EQ for MIDI is if the synth you are using (hardware or VST) supports the changing of EQ settings in the synth itself via MIDI commands.

Another example are the Applied Acoustics System VSTs.  These all have an effects section that includes an EQ.  The EQ parameters can be changed using MIDI NRPN commands sent to these particular synths.

In Cakewalk, these parameters are even available (and are listed) in the PRV as NRPN events which can be added in the same say as other controllers can.

Once again, it does depend on the synth and what parameters they have mapped to MIDI NRPN commands.

EQ is not used by MIDI. Lets make this very clear. MIDI is a protocol that is a set of instructions to control a device. Using the term EQ with MIDI is a direct misunderstanding of just what MIDI is. Yes, a synth with an EQ section will respond to MIDI control. What is not happening is the MIDI itself being EQed. MIDI can not be equalized. Its data not audio. Any synth will generate audio from the MIDI data instructions it receives, such as note on and note off. If it also has an EQ section such as in the Sound Canvas or any GM synth only the audio is EQed. It happens after the audio has been generated. EQ is a term that applies only to the audio not MIDI. Its easy to be confused by this but because one sees and hears EQing being applied. The TTS-1 is a Sound Canvas software clone. One can do with it the same as one can do with Sound Canvas. It too has an EQ section. That section can be controlled using MIDI just as all the parameters can.  

Best
John
chris.r
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 21:53:56 (permalink)
I used to send sysex to control my MIDI.
F0-F2 for bass, F3-F5 for mids and F6-F7 for treble. What gives!

lol
mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 23:14:07 (permalink)
scook
mwmcbroom
 It has a couple of very useful guitar sounds. One thing to note -- you refer to (and show) the BT Brickwall Limiter -- it isn't included in SPlat, apparently. I have available in SPlat the Sonitus Compressor and Compressor/Gate, which I realize aren't the same thing, but perhaps fairly close. There doesn't appear to be a Limiter included with SPlat.

The Nomad Blue Tubes plug-ins including the BT Brickwall BW2S-3 and BT Limiter LM2S-3 are bundled with Platinum. Later versions of Platinum also included the Adaptive Limiter.

Okay, that's interesting. I thought I'd d/l'd all the accompanying stuff for SPlat, but apparently I missed a rather important add-on. I'll go have a look and see if I can find it -- both on my machine and at Cakewalk.com. Thanks for the heads-up!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 23:23:47 (permalink)
The Blue Tubes plug-ins are in the Studio Mixing FX Suite installer. The Adaptive Limiter is in the Engineering FX Suite installer.
mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/20 23:43:33 (permalink)
Thanks, well my Download Manager indicates I've d/l'd both these installers before, but I went ahead and reinstalled them. Both 64-bit and 32-bit this time, dunno if it makes a difference on this 64-bit machine, but I reckon it couldn't hurt.
randyman
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 02:21:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby John 2018/05/21 11:21:09
@chris.r  sysex is always EXCLUSIVE to sound module (vst, etc.) it is being sent to... ie, not universal to all.  For the 'most' part MIDI has some common grounds for several types of controls, etc. in the audio/synth/sound module path.

Keep in mind that midi is also used to control lighting consoles and many other things (fog machines, curtain actions, etc.) that run/can be synced to time code.  Lighting that is perfectly timed in studio production of things is nearly 100% controlled by MIDI instruction synced to time code.  MIDI in itself does nothing.  It is only a method of conveying information.

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 13:37:05 (permalink)
I think some of the comments only deepen the confusion between MIDI as a protocol and MIDI controlled modules and VSTs. As said by others, MIDI itself cannot have EQ since it is the information and not the sound. Effects can be applied to the audio output of vst instruments but this can be tricky with multitumbral instruments with only one stereo output. One solution is multiple instances of the vst using only one instrument per instance.
mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 15:13:33 (permalink)
Okay, I finally located the BT devices -- and the Adaptive Limiter as well. So I played around with them some.

I like the Oilcan Echo. It gives a cool sort of old-school vibe to a piece. Easy does it though. I dial the mix in at about 15% or so, maybe a bit less. I just kinda like the ghosting of an echo for most of my sounds where I even want to try an echo effect.

I tried out the Adaptive Limiter on several different pieces. I found it to be somewhat disconcerting. Even when dialed into its lightest setting, it gave the mix an almost granular sort of feel that I really didn't care for. Other settings I tried weren't much better, if at all. So, I have  mixed feelings about the usefulness of the Adaptive Limiter, at least for my uses.

Next I tried the BT Brickwall, which is what Johnny recommends in his tutorial. He dials his threshold down to about -0.2dB. I found this worked well with a few tracks, but when I applied Brickwall to a final mixdown, leaving it at the "CD Mastering" default seemed to work best. Frankly, I'm amazed at what this little routine can do. I'm now going back through every one of my tunes and trying their final mix with it. It all cases so far, it has dramatically improved the final levels of my tunes.

I gotta say, Johnny, thanks so much for bringing this little jewel to my attention!

mwmcbroom
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 15:17:51 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I think some of the comments only deepen the confusion between MIDI as a protocol and MIDI controlled modules and VSTs. As said by others, MIDI itself cannot have EQ since it is the information and not the sound. Effects can be applied to the audio output of vst instruments but this can be tricky with multitumbral instruments with only one stereo output. One solution is multiple instances of the vst using only one instrument per instance.

This is what I've ended up doing, but in order to do so, I've been bouncing my MIDI tracks to audio so I can apply the VSTs to individual tracks. Early on, when trying to apply a VST to, say TTS-1, I didn't really care for the way the sound got applied to all my MIDI tracks. About the only effect I found that sorta worked was reverb, but then this is an effect that's available individually with the MIDI tracks, and I prefer to apply it on an individual basis.
John
Forum Host
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 15:37:13 (permalink)
One clue is try inserting an EQ in a MIDI tracks FX bin. One can't do that. MIDI FX is not the same as an audio FX. 

Best
John
Cactus Music
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 16:00:47 (permalink)
Mvmcbroom:
"This is what I've ended up doing, but in order to do so, I've been bouncing my MIDI tracks to audio so I can apply the VSTs to individual tracks. Early on, when trying to apply a VST to, say TTS-1, I didn't really care for the way the sound got applied to all my MIDI tracks. About the only effect I found that sorta worked was reverb, but then this is an effect that's available individually with the MIDI tracks, and I prefer to apply it on an individual basis."

Just a few comments:
 Bouncing to audio is a great idea for tracks your 100% finished with. But if you need to edit later  you don't need to bounce to audio. You can apply audio effects to the instrument track. 
And you have the option with the TTS-1 of using 4 outputs. So you can sub group what your applying the effect to.
I know that's very limiting. And anther work around is to insert more than one instance of TTS_1. It is a light load synth so not a problem.

And yes when I say "much better" instruments I'm not really talking about the SI collection. They are a small step up from TTS-1. I used those in the tutorial so people who had Home Studio or Artist could follow along. 
And I'll also agree that some of the TTS-1 instruments get the job done. Your correct about Strum Session doesn't sound much better than TTS_1 guitars, other than the effects. The Jazz brush snare is also very good and my go to for that. I still have TTS-1 on many projects just for those things it does better than others at this point. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: EQ for MIDI? 2018/05/21 17:54:40 (permalink)
I ran into this issue when trying to use free version of studio one with my students.  Since there is only one instrument ( a stereo rompler with a variety of instruments) I had to use multiple instances to process individual drums hits.  It's kind of flunky at first, but creating a project template helps immensely.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1