Helpful ReplyLocked[Solved] - Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2018/05/20 23:03:20 (permalink)

[Solved] - Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR!

First off, I was thrilled that Bandlab had purchased Cakewalk properties and was going to move forward with Cakewalk and Sonar. The FREE Sonar sounded really great! 

At the same time, I am a SONAR LICENSED OWNER. 

So I created a Bandlab account. No problem there, I checked everything on the settings. I thought I had it all set right. 
I simply shared a song of mine and someone following me had made a really ADULT "SAME CHORDS AND BEAT" street version of my song that I never give anyone permission to do so. I blocked that person, contacted BANDLAB, I thought that was the end of it. 

But even after contacting BandLab MULTIPLE TIMES and this person is on BLOCK, when I log in "This PERSON'S POST ALONG WITH THE MUSIC I MENTION IS STILL THERE RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!". Yeah it says "BLOCKED, But It damn sure is not being blocked! So I guess popularity or monetary value ways better than newbies who post their music where the rules go. 

I really wanted to like BandLab. But considering the circumstances, I will no longer be using it. BandLab considers EVERYTHING YOU POST OR RECORD AS PUBLIC DOMAIN in my opinion. The issue is : "I recorded NOTHING I SHARED AND CLICKED THE DO NOT SHARE CHECKS & BOXES WITH ANY OF : THEIR SOFTWARE". I recorded it with my OWNED SONAR SOFTWARE. 

Either way, I prefer CAKEWALK SONAR and will not be using BANDLAB "Analytical USE AND SELL" software. 

That may not be the case, but it is the impression that I am getting now. 
I had a problem with Bandlab's site to begin with and it was a REAL quick response when they purchased Cakewalks entities, Now it's like not anybody on there cares at all with my issue. 

Either way, I bet this gets deleted or LEFT AND BLOCKED from others seeing. But it is my experience THUS FAR with dealing with the SITE BANDLAB and like I said, the music I posted on their site was recorded using my LICENSED SONAR PLATINUM. So I will continue using that. 

I Bet there will be a bunch of smart asses replying to this, but I suspect they are IN HOUSE SPEAKERS. 

Those are my thoughts, and that was MY EXPERIENCE SO FAR dealing with BandLab. 

It's NOT GOOD. And that is the end experience that I wish to convey WITH MY OPINION. 

Have a Wonderful day everyone!

Bobby

edit: OP advised me in a PM the issues have been solved by BandLab - scook
post edited by scook - 2018/05/23 15:39:06

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 00:13:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2018/05/23 13:17:01
Serious_Noize!
I simply shared a song of mine and someone following me had made a really ADULT "SAME CHORDS AND BEAT" street version of my song

Once you share it, it's out there in the ether.

There's a reason some artists refuse to share stems.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 00:20:46 (permalink)
Yikes, Serious Noize . . . I really hope what you're alluding to here is not the case !
Personally, I haven't shared anything on Bandlab yet, and probably won't.
I can't help thinking that your example is the worst case scenario, but it really makes me wonder about Bandlab sharing. I think if you share, you leave your music open to collaboration, that's what it's about, and now I'm not sure there's any proper controls in place to avoid it.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 00:32:27 (permalink)
I shared a song on there and it wasn't long before a guy put "weed smoking Rap lyrics" to it! I had to laugh!!

I never thought this would happen. But once it did I keep my stuff private now.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 00:57:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/05/21 23:53:35
I've got no interest at all in the collaboration platform, myself. But there's nothing forcing anyone using the DAW to also use the BandLab collaboration site.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Daibhidh
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 01:25:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Jarsve 2018/05/23 16:04:54
Think of it like giving paper to children. You never know what they're going to draw with it.
That's what happens if you share your music. Expect people to set it on fire, get mud on it, etc.
Only share what you're prepared to be used and abused.
Anything really personal and precious to you, I'd NEVER share publicly. At least not the stems.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 01:35:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iamjcole 2018/05/21 02:36:01
If you don't check the option to allow "forking" when you upload the song, they can't take it and change it. I also make sure anything I post is copyrighted.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 02:20:40 (permalink)
With the internet, anything posted anywhere can be digitally nabbed and unless it gains attention you will probably never know it (and jurisdiction can hinder copyright anyway). About the only protection is don't post at all (sorta destroys the point of sharing music) or don't post stems (as mentioned above). I haven't even looked at Bandlab yet, but the idea of anyone in the world accessing stems is scary.

I had seen the "forking" mentioned before, but not sure how clear that is on their site. The OP is concerning, since it is not clear if a blocked user can still access you, but that is moot with a free system since they could just create another account anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 03:03:57 (permalink)
I don't plan on posting anything there. I write classical music. I doubt that anyone on the "classical" part of their forum actually knows what classical music is. I've seen covers of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" there, and most of the stuff is heavy on drum kits - fine if you're writing pop or rap, but not classical.

We need to keep in mind that this is a different culture, one with perhaps rather fluid views of intellectual property rights. Perhaps we can help them change that, but I wouldn't bet on it. In the meantime, it's good to bring this stuff to their attention. If they don't hear about it, there's no reason for them to change.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

iamjcole
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 03:09:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/05/21 03:58:54
I'm sorry for the frustration. You seem to have found an issue with the BandLab blocking feature and we're looking into it now. Once you block a user their content should be removed from your feed immediately. Something isn't working and we'll dig in and figure out what happened and fix it ASAP. 

Regarding your song being used by someone else, that should only be possible via BandLab if you allow forks when you save and publish your song, if you save a song to a band, or if you invite a collaborator to your song. Allowing forks is like opening your song up to creative commons so anyone can use it as inspiration and do whatever they see fit with it. You can posts songs without allowing collaboration, or even just keep songs private. Or as mentioned earlier in this thread, you don't have to use BandLab at all. You can just use your BandLab account to access BandLa Assistant to get your Cakewalk by BandLab updates. 

I'll reply to your support ticket now. 
Daibhidh
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 04:05:27 (permalink)
iamjcole,

A few thoughts. What was described above taking a song and making an adult version is clearly troll behaviour. If Bandlab wants to limit this on their platform there are several options.

1) Police everything yourself (Time intensive and experience) or
2) Allow the original artist to revoke forked versions they deem not genuine attempts or offensive.
3) Require everyone who signs up to use a cellphone so it's not so easy for trolls to create multiple accounts.

Just sharing my thoughts. I think it's great you're looking into this!
Grem
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 04:17:55 (permalink)
Daibhidh
iamjcole,

A few thoughts. What was described above taking a song and making an adult version is clearly troll behaviour. If Bandlab wants to limit this on their platform there are several options.

2) Allow the original artist to revoke forked versions they deem not genuine attempts or offensive.

Just sharing my thoughts. I think it's great you're looking into this!

+1 to #2 above.

And talk about customer service!!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
iamjcole
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 05:06:15 (permalink)
Thanks Daibhidh and Grem! 

I hear you and appreciate the suggestions. As with any collaboration, there is trust and risk involved. Allowing forks relinquishes control. If someone makes something you don't like with the project on which you've allowed forks, other than messaging the other user, there's nothing you can do at this point. Any content on BandLab can be reported and we follow up on all reports.

Art is subjective. We won't stand for harassment or bullying on BandLab but we try not to censor or police the music posted. Offensive comments and posts are taken down regularly, but with songs, what's art to one can be offensive to another. That's the nature of art and music. We hope to provide a platform where creators and fans can communicate safely and positively about the music posted. 

I haven't heard the song in question to have a personal opinion, but it's quite possible that the adult version of the song the other user made wasn't trolling, it could simply be the kind of music he makes. 
GjB
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 05:12:09 (permalink)
Leadfoot
I also make sure anything I post is copyrighted.

Just a quick question, please?
There are instructions and resources on the internet about how to copyright music. I also have some classical type music from an old musical keyboard years ago which I composed. Do you have a quick step-by-step copyright process you could share - with some links to the resource or authority you use? I've been meaning to copyright a few tracks - but keep putting it off. (It depends on the belief in one's work, plus costs, ambition, etc., of course to actually decide to copyright in the first place.) Thanks.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 10:41:35 (permalink)
I've done about a dozen song demo sessions for a "retired" Nashville songwriter who had some success in the late 60's to early 80's.  He belongs to BMI and I get the impression he feels BMI will protect any of his songs.

As a side benefit, he is a "student" of the late Nashville producer Billy Sherrill.  He has done some major label producing and I've learned a lot about recording and mixing from him.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 11:05:50 (permalink)
Leadfoot
If you don't check the option to allow "forking" when you upload the song, they can't take it and change it. I also make sure anything I post is copyrighted.

Despite copyrighting your material I believe that putting it on the net and sharing it under a Creative Commons licence may negate the copyright. If it’s important to you which it clearly is as you’ve gone to the trouble to copyright your material, you ought to check it out to be certain.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 11:27:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/05/21 23:56:13
Copyright is pretty much useless these days is it not? You could be Prince, Metallica or Avicii and have your music downloaded, copied, ripped, reworked, mixed etc etc without any kind of action taken for the most part. Some home made tunes by amatuers or unknown people being "protected" is nothing more than words on paper. It means nothing at all to anyone. 
If people does not want anyone to mess with their music, there is only one solution and that is to not let anyone hear it in the first place. Making money on music is totally impossible today unless you are in the top tier so not sure what the copyright really provides to begin with for the common man. 

Better approach is to appreciate someone liking it enough to mess with it creating new versions. Might increase the nr of people hearing it even, if that is why you put it out there I mean. That is about as much you can ever expect to get from posting your music online. Trying to fight the reality of things is rather futile.
If you dont think you have written the next nr 1 on Billboard, worrying about copyrights etc is a waste of time and resources. That is just my very humble opinion of course :) 
Phoen1xPJ
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 12:06:17 (permalink)
US Copyright costs... the last full album I copyrighted was $55.

Yours With a Song,
Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
*new* Cakewalk by BandLab
Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
(2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
*new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 12:14:16 (permalink)
Copyright law varies greatly from country to country. Here in the US, a work is automaticaly copyrighted as soon as it is put into some tangible form (in this case, either written or recorded). Of course, in the event of an infringement action, you have to be able to prove that you own the rights. And it is unlikely that any attorney will take your case unless you have registered with the Copyright office.

Byron Dickens
Meng
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 12:21:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby simeon 2018/05/21 14:08:02
Hey bobby - really sorry to hear you had a negative experience.

As Jeremy mentioned - there is a bug with the block feature that occurs in certain situations and you experienced one which we are working on resolving asap. 

"BandLab considers EVERYTHING YOU POST OR RECORD AS PUBLIC DOMAIN in my opinion." <- this is definitely not true and may be a misunderstanding! We are very protective of our artists and what they create, and our users have complete access to keeping things private or to share it publicly but not forkable so all rights are reserved and no-one can download their stems etc.

We do understand that the concept of "forkable" is confusing to some users as it's BandLab-specific terminology, and we are working to make this option easier to understand to ensure that one doesn't accidentally turn it on - just like other platforms do before you license it out with Creative Commons etc...!

I do thank you for trying it all out and giving your honest feedback, though.
Grem
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 13:16:17 (permalink)
iamjcole
Thanks Daibhidh and Grem! 

Art is subjective. We won't stand for harassment or bullying on BandLab but we try not to censor or police the music posted.

That's the nature of art and music.  

Point well made. And I agree. Thanks for taking to time to help us understand.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
Home PC
Surface Pro 3
SimpleManZ
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 13:39:16 (permalink)
bdickens
Copyright law varies greatly from country to country. Here in the US, a work is automaticaly copyrighted as soon as it is put into some tangible form (in this case, either written or recorded). Of course, in the event of an infringement action, you have to be able to prove that you own the rights. And it is unlikely that any attorney will take your case unless you have registered with the Copyright office.

Somehow I get the impression the OP thinks using a 'paid' license Sonar Platinum automatically makes a creation copyrighted.
Lets say you have an idea to write a song on paper but no pen. Aha, you see a pen laying there, so you pick it up and use it to write your idea. Then someone comes along and read your poem and says, "I like it-but that is my pen you used-which means I own the poem"
Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 15:53:57 (permalink)
You can`t copyright chords, rhythm or song titles. Only melodies and lyrics can be fully protected by copyright :-) 

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 16:44:46 (permalink)
@Bobby

That is a bummer for sure.
But As mentioned by others and I will elaborate on it: Just use the Desktop software. You are only denying yourself bug fixes and enhancements if you don't. As most of us and you probably have done is leave Plat orig installed to maintain plugs, etc and use the upgraded CWbyBL

Just a thought. Yes I would be bummed also.

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 17:51:10 (permalink)
stratman70
@Bobby

That is a bummer for sure.
But As mentioned by others and I will elaborate on it: Just use the Desktop software. You are only denying yourself bug fixes and enhancements if you don't. As most of us and you probably have done is leave Plat orig installed to maintain plugs, etc and use the upgraded CWbyBL

Just a thought. Yes I would be bummed also.

To be fair he enabled forking, and the lack of a block was a bug that BL is investigating

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
poetnprophet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 20:55:52 (permalink)
For sure the process is not very straight forward if you're new to Bandlab.  Many have pointed out that their uploads end up in the wrong category, or they didn't know it was forkable, etc.  Again, we would like to see Bandlab have more instructions/guidance on what to do with it.

The blocking issue aside, I think it really needs to be pointed out that anything you do on the internet at any time is subject to things you might not like, whether it's piracy, defamation, or just flat out trolling.  There are some good things Bandlab can do to help maintain a healthy community, however it's not their fault somebody else took your project and did something with it you don't like.  You're the one who posted it.  And really, if you think about it....it should be flattering that someone outside of your genre was inspired by your art.  THAT is really what Bandlab is about.

Dave

Cakewalk by Bandlab
i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
Hulk 990, NT1A
Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
www.kdubbproductions.com
https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 21:02:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/05/21 23:58:09
To be clear, posting your work to BandLab is not exactly identical to using a creative commons license, although it does involve granting various licenses. It is unfortunate that BandLab has decided to use their own jargon (forking) to describe the process of inviting collaboration. It is even more unfortunate that users will not immediately recognize that this process, in addition to inviting "collaboration," effectively licenses the creation of derivative works. Once you give someone permission to alter your work, he has the right to copyright his variation in its own right, and lacking specific language in the license, you largely lose any ability to restrict his use or publication of the derivative work. In countries where a non-transferable "moral right" to maintain the artistic integrity of your work is recognized, you may be able to limit egregiously damaging modification, but in US law at least, moral rights are only recognized for certain works of visual arts.

Whether BandLab will recognize your concerns is largely an issue of company policy, but arguably the work once altered under the license terms on their site will probably be considered to be a derivative work created under a valid license which you have no right to rescind. They may remove it from their site, but the author who in good faith (at least to his belief that he had a valid license) messes up your song will likely be able to do anything he wants with his version for the duration of his newly minted copyright. 

If you have not spent an adequate amount of time reading and understanding the terms of service and related binding legal contracts issued by various online posting sites, you are well advised not to post your material on them.

Rather than repeat an earlier post on this and other issues see:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3742329

msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 21:56:13 (permalink)
slartabartfast
.... It is unfortunate that BandLab has decided to use their own jargon (forking) to describe the process of inviting collaboration...

Forking is a pretty commonly used term, as is branching, or even the term "fork a branch"... maybe not as much in music collaboration, but it is very common in OpenSource code collaboration and I suspect other collaborative projects: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)

M.
Schafe
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 22:14:22 (permalink)
Well for fork sakes..the only forking I ever done was into my mouth and throwing the odd straw bail around. Some of these names and terms should be kept were they belong and lets just call it what it is. Share? Don't Share?

Asus Intel i7 -3770K 4.2 GHZ,16 GB Ram,Samsung 500 GB SSD,3 TB HD, Dual 27" Monitors, Windows 10, Motu 896mk3 interface, Behringer Eurolive B208d's, Roland A-800 pro Keyboard, Sonar Platinum, Melodyne  Editor, Kontakt5, Jackson Charvel, Fiddles and things.
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 22:26:39 (permalink)
Schafe
Well for fork sakes..the only forking I ever done was into my mouth and throwing the odd straw bail around. Some of these names and terms should be kept were they belong and lets just call it what it is. Share? Don't Share?

Sharing isn't quite the same though... I can share a song with you so you can listen to it, but does that mean I've given you permission to take it apart and create your own song based on it? I'd say no it doesn't.

That's what forking means: you "fork" your own version of the song based on an original.

So if I allow forking, I'm saying, "Go ahead and help me finish this, or do your own version".

From what the OP says, I'm not totally convinced he actually enabled forking. I've shared 3 songs so far, but only allowed forking on one of them - so this process works as far as enabling one and not the other.

What I read from Bobby's post was someone had copied his song another way. Which does raise an interesting scenario... if your song is shared for listening but NOT for collaboration, but someone samples it to get around that restriction, what protection do you have?

M.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1