Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's????

Author
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
2018/05/22 19:46:06 (permalink)

Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's????

I run a studio here.  I work daily.  I did the update with BandLab Assistant 3.09 last night.  Today I attempted to enter Cakewalk by BandLab and I got a blurb telling me that there was a problem with my activation???  Huh?  A few hours earlier I was activated just fine.   I run a business.  I CAN NOT afford to have this happening now.  Please, I beg of you.  Help me.  I tried to send an email from the help website but it told me that the email contact area was;Under Construction
We're sorry, this part of our website is currently undergoing maintenance. 
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try back again later.

I am forced to put this in this public forum. I need help now.  Please, please.  Time is money to me.  If this can't be remedied get me back to the previous state.  I was working just fine up to last night. 

I cannot tell you how freakin' embarassing this was to have this come up in front of a client sitting there who comes to me because I am dependable and do quality work since 1967.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd

12 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/22 20:20:52 (permalink)
    The was an update to CbB last night too. Was the update to CbB applied?
    The current support page is here.
    iRelevant
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/22 22:12:55 (permalink)
    I'm wondering about the same thing. I've just done the update to BA v3.0.9, as well as the update to the new version of CbB ... done a reboot ... and things seems to work fine. Not done extensive testing, but so far so good.

Sorry to hear about your trouble Studioguy1, don't you have a backup system and a restore point you can roll back to ? I would think that would be essential in your situation.

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/22 22:50:38 (permalink)
    What is the exact message displayed and the error code? Did you also update CbB to build 31?
    You can see the error code in the message displayed or in the about box.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/22 23:24:52 (permalink)
    After all that time in the business you figure you would have in place, like everyone else I know who charges, a redundant back up system. A second computer,or a copy of Splat still running on the same system would have still been working in this case.  Why was a working studio computer on line??  
    That's right, it's super embarrassing to have a client sit and stare at you while you mess with a computer issue.
    But since the advent of computer based systems ( DAW's) we have all known exactly what we are dealing with so therefore ALWAYS have a back up in place. Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear. I always had back up systems in place when clients were involved.  
    When I go and play live gigs, I have a back up system in place.  
    I have various versions of Sonar always on hand on a few different computers.  

What happened to your copy of Sonar Platinum? 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Studioguy1
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 02:33:28 (permalink)
    Noel,
    Sorry to get so excited.  It just hit me at a very high pressure time with major bucks riding on it.  After I calmed myself down, I jumped back to my copy of Sonar Platinum (still installed, of course) and got through the day.  The following message in a maroon box came up with CAKEWALK written vertically on the left side.  The box msg reads:
    Exclamation Mark ! in triangle.
    Demo Mode
    You are currently running in Demo Mode due to a problem with activation.
    Please contact support. (4-99)

It just caught me so off guard because some hours before it was running perfect.  It has been running perfect since I put the 3.06 stuff in with absolutely no problems and all my previous stuff has been available to me from Sonar Platinum.  Just caught me off guard, just didn't expect it from 3.09 as I expected it was a maintenance update.   I have learned my lesson about updates before a session.  Let's call that lesson learned.  Sorry or the alarming message. 

To Cactus:  Your msg was absolutely from someone who has apparently never been in a situation like that.
    I used my backup of Sonar Platinum to get through.  Thanks for offering zero solutions, but rather chastisement.  Noel, thinking about trying the update all over again, but will wait to hear from you on this one.  Thank you.

G
    M
    T

Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri****alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIri****alianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSesothoSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZulu     

Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

[link=moz-extension://6a6925e3-8806-4570-859e-ffd42c34e00b/content/html/options/options.html?bbl]Options[/link] : [link=moz-extension://6a6925e3-8806-4570-859e-ffd42c34e00b/content/html/options/options.html?hist]History[/link] : [link=moz-extension://6a6925e3-8806-4570-859e-ffd42c34e00b/content/html/options/options.html?feed]Feedback[/link] : DonateClose

- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
    Blue Clown Records Ltd
    Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 02:42:39 (permalink)
    It helps to know which version of CbB is running when reporting a problem. The current version is 24.04.1.31. This info is available on the CbB about screen. Update CbB. if not running 24.04.1.31.
    Studioguy1
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 03:07:13 (permalink)
    I installed bandlab assistant 3.09 and did the update that came with it.  Upon just trying to get into the Cakewalk program again, the same notification came up, yet my info on the program says legal.  I run everything in my audio setup as administrator since I am the only one on this machine.  The bandlab says I am up to date.  In the Help pulldown for info on the program, I am currently at 24.04.1 Build 31 [2018.04]- x64.  In the bottom of that black box info pulldown from help it says again:  Demo mode -  Please update with bandlab assistant.  Bandlab assistant says I am up to date.

Blue Clown Records Ltd
    Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 05:46:23 (permalink)
    Here is what I would do if I were in your situation. 

Make sure you have either a full backup or an image taken of your system drive.

Then uninstall Cakewalk by Bandlab and then uninstall Bandlab Assistant.

Reboot your PC

Make sure you have version 3.09 of the installer - I say this because you can't tell if you have simply by looking at the filename of the installer.  All versions have the same filename.  Version 3.09 has an exact file length of 45,587,528 bytes

The latest version is available from here:

https://www.bandlab.com/download/assistant/windows

Reinstall Bandlab Assistant.  Log on with Bandlab assistant (I am assuming you're using the same email address that you used for cakewalk before November 2017)

Then via a logged on Bandlab assistant, install Cakewalk by Bandlab - this should bring you to Build 31 of Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Note: Once Cakewalk by Bandlab is installed and running, you do not have to have Bandlab Assistant running.  I usually exit it suing the cog and exit.  Clicking on the X at the top right leaves Bandlab Assistant resident.  I only run Bandlab Assistant to check for and install any updates for Cakewalk by Bandlab.

If this does not get you out of Demo mode than you might want to head over here to log a support ticket.

https://help.bandlab.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hope that helps.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 12:27:10 (permalink)
    promidi

Make sure you have version 3.09 of the installer - I say this because you can't tell if you have simply by looking at the filename of the installer.  All versions have the same filename.  Version 3.09 has an exact file length of 45,587,528 bytes

To check the version click the gear in the upper left of the BA UI and select "App Version" from the menu

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 12:42:05 (permalink)
    Yes, I realise that. However, that's after you've installed it......    I am talking about just looking at the installer file before you've installed it.  Mind you, you can also check the details tab of the file properties and that will show you the version no of the installer.  This would be useful if you happen the have multiple copies of the installer in different folders.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 12:49:37 (permalink)
    Checking installers is not the question though. The only thing that matters in this case are the running versions. From the information reported by the OP:
    BA is at 3.0.9
    CbB is at 24.04.1 Build 31
    OS is Win7 SP1 (there may need to be more info provided but this request would have to come from BandLab)

I believe these are the critical pieces support needs for this problem. I was just trying to help the OP flesh out his report. It is up to BandLab to sort this out.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Activation Issue after I have been activated since the late 1980's???? 2018/05/23 19:58:19 (permalink)
    Sorry you took it that way, and obviously the answer to my question was, yes I do have back up and I do have my older version still installed. In your OP you didn't mention any of this so all I could do is assume the worst. Glad you were not shut down by this. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1