You're Just Like a Star

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/05/24 06:56:16 (permalink)

You're Just Like a Star

You're Just Like a Star
https://www.reverbnation.com/rexredmusicartist/song/29618316-youre-just-like-a-star

This is still a work in progress so any comments are welcome. :)

I plan to lower a few vocal syllables where their gain may be distorting my mastering compressor and add the lyrics to the song page tomorrow.

Just thought I would post it and get some input.

Thanks for the listens

This song was 100% created in Cakewalk

:)

6 Replies Related Threads

Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/24 13:31:30 (permalink)
    Man, you got that golden voice.  Not sure if you're using Melodyne, but you have great pitch and texture control.  

The song is quite catchy, and the melody perfect for radio.  It's a little repetitive, though.  After 2 minutes we've heard it all.  It's great, but it's just that's all there is.  Of course, lots of songs do this, so just a subjective observation that may not mean anything.  

I'm assuming the percussion track will be spiced up, and worked out?  It's quite low in the mix, to my ears.  

Again, great pop country song.  Like you said, work in progress...

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    RexRed
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/24 17:49:06 (permalink)
    I have uploaded a newer version, I have not added the drum rolls and cymbal crashes yet and I would like the bass to do a few more interesting things in the higher octave in places. I balanced out the mix, upped the drum db a bit and got rid of an echo delay that was distracting from the vocals. I made the vocals a bit drier and got them to fit a bit tighter into the mix especially at the beginning. This song needs more work but it is coming together. I would like some tinkling honky-tonk piano in the higher ranges also in subtle places.

As for it being repetitive, I noticed that the first time I sung it through. I was hoping to deviate my pitch enough to make it a bit more interesting. If someone submitted this song to me I would first complain about the melody lines of the song being too repetitive. It sounds like every run-of-the-mill song written by amateurs. It is such a nice song otherwise so I went ahead and made it anyway.  :)

More changes to come.
    post edited by RexRed - 2018/05/26 04:53:43
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/25 13:17:15 (permalink)
    I like the changes you've made, for sure.  I'd be interested in hearing this once you've got your other ideas laid down too.  I'll keep an eye out for ya.   

I sympathize with the nature of the song.  I've got several little tunes that are a consistent chord pattern from verse to chorus, just over and over, with the melody slightly deviating, higher register maybe, but has this overall repetition where you hear everything I have to offer in the song in the first minute.  And any attempt to add something or move here or there just ruins the simplicity of it.   

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/25 23:41:26 (permalink)
    I like it. Positive vibes and good melodies and well played and sung. Music don't have to be always so complex

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/26 19:00:18 (permalink)
    Nice sounds! Thanks for posting.
    RexRed
    Re: You're Just Like a Star 2018/05/27 19:22:41 (permalink)
    The new version is up, I added dubbed vocals in the chorus sections, drum rolls, I walked the bass a bit more around the melodic lines changing it from the static monotonous part I had before. I improved the sound of the lead guitar and balanced out the mix a bit more. 

It is still a work in progress, I need to listen to it on several systems and see what stands out. The vocals still have a few minor timing issues with the overdubs. I will iron them out too.

I may add a ride cymbal, a cowbell here and there and a honky-tonk piano in parts. Still debating.

You're Just Like a Star
    https://www.reverbnation.com/rexredmusicartist/song/29618316-youre-just-like-a-star

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for listening peeps!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1