What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer?

Author
csnack
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
2018/05/25 08:06:35 (permalink)

What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer?

So I'm not exactly new to music, but I'm just now getting back into music production w/ a pro level focus and ambition for TV and film composition after musically being out of commission for 2 long years and feeling a bit left behind at the moment, wanting to catch up and I'm looking for some tips on what music related articles, sites, blogs, theory sites etc I should be keeping up with regularly. I've been driving myself crazy keeping up w/ the current polical challenges the US is facing and I can't take it anymore and now getting back into music I really need to fill my head w/ something more productive. I operate a daw, play guitar, bass, keys and vox at a pro level and am a gritty hard rock solo artist/songwriter and looking at maybe music for TV/film. I'll probably start a YouTube channel to do something musically cool/unique, and I keep up w/ Taxi on YouTube, but what's some good required music related anything that you guys are members of and keep up with like doctors reading journals and can recommend to me? Both required stuff and just music related stuff you like? Many thanks guys, just looking for a leg up getting back in the music game and wanting to get/stay informed!

4 Replies Related Threads

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer? 2018/05/25 18:53:33 (permalink)
    This keeps me busy learning about those-who-came-before.  This young man is very thorough.  I can't state how accurate he is (there's a lot of lore with these composers), but if you read the comments you'll get to know the facts.
    I subscribed to the channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPLwlOq7DU_3J60Yd99jXSA

Orchestrationonline is another great you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OrchestrationOnline

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer? 2018/05/25 21:57:08 (permalink)
    I would buy a one-year subscription to Sound on Sound that includes (or is even just limited to) web access.  Over the last year alone they have had some very good series on orchestral library usage and dealing with professional agents for placement of your music commercially (film and TV).  Those are just the ones that immediately come to mind - there is a lot more that you might find of value.

I believe a web subscription gets you access to all online issues, but without the subscription, you can see articles six months old and older for no cost whatever, assuming you know what articles you are interested in reading.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer? 2018/05/25 22:31:02 (permalink)
    SOS isn't as enjoyable for me anymore.  Kind of same ol same ol.  If you live in the LA or NYC area, join the society of composers and lyricists.  It's incredible; truly a wealth of information.  Join AES if you're really into the audio side of it all.  Those are two very concrete steps you can take and trust me, it's worth your time.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

csnack
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: What music related articles etc should I be keeping up with as a serious new composer? 2018/05/29 06:37:11 (permalink)
    Awesome thanks guys.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1