Why have all soft synths suddenly reset all tracks to original settings when loaded?

Author
mwmcbroom
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 100
2018/05/27 15:12:50 (permalink)

Why have all soft synths suddenly reset all tracks to original settings when loaded?

Okay, I'm working in SPlat and the file I'm working on is 100% MIDI. I am used to adding multiple soft shyths to my projects without all tracks being set effectively to "zero." Obviously I must have changed a setting somewhere in SPlat. But I dunno what. I'm learning more about this though. When I first noticed this problem -- kinda hard not to, really -- every track was reset to MS Wavetable and the three selections at the top of the track (in Console mode) were all default, reset-to-zero MS stuff. I had been running Sonar for some time now with MS Wavetable unchecked in the Output choices in Edit/Preferences/MIDI/Devices, which allows TTS-1 to be loaded by default in new files. But in this piece I'm working on right now, it's hard to believe, but the Wavetable has a nicer sounding patch than TTS-1 in this one specific instance, so I re-activated MS Wavetable.

So with MS Wavetable active, now when I try to load a soft synth, everything gets reset to zero with MS Wavetable as the output device. Never mind that a have four soft synths loaded before this problem began. So hmmm . . .  thought I, what if I deactivated MS Wavetable? Would order be restored to the Universe? Gave it a try loading TTS-1, and what's happening now isn't nearly as bad, but it's interesting nonetheless. Now, all the selected synths are still there, but the selections had gotten all mixed up, so I had to go and select the correct output for almost every channel. And when I did that, about half displayed the correct patch. A few I had to ge and reset the "B" -- what is that, 'board'? -- to what it should be in order for the patch to display.

So anyway . . . this has never happened before and obviously it's a setting somewhere in Sonar that I inadvertently changed. But I have no clue where to look past what I've already been doing. I'm thinking about loading another file and see if it happens then. Or rebooting Sonar, see if that gets rid of it.

So, any idea what could make Sonar go kablooey like this?

UPDATE: I just loaded another file, a .cwp, and then loaded a soft synth (it already had two present), and the synth loaded normally, without resetting anything. So now, I'm wondering if the number of synths might be the problem. Hang on a minute while I go find out . . . okay I'm back. I've just loaded five more synths into a file that already had two resident. No tracks were affected. Well, almost none. The bass track lost track of its "B" setting after I loaded my second synth. All I had to do was click on the first default option (TTS-1) and it brought the display of the right voice back. The right voice was still there, it just wasn't being displayed. So, except for that one single minor inconvenience, the file held. Which means that I changed something at the file level that I'm not aware of. Which causes me to question the "Insert Soft Synth Options" popup. I had already tried deselecting each of the check boxes one at a time, then booting the soft synth each time, for each separate option that had already been checked, and none of these de-selections made a difference. I did not try deselecting more than one option at a time and I did not try selecting any of the unchecked boxes.

post edited by mwmcbroom - 2018/05/27 17:01:00

3 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Second Instance of SI wipes out all my settings -- Why? 2018/05/27 16:20:06 (permalink)
    I made a tutorial on using midi files , see my signature for link. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

mwmcbroom
    Re: Second Instance of SI wipes out all my settings -- Why? 2018/05/27 16:37:33 (permalink)
    Johnny, I just completely rewrote my opening post. You might want to re-read it and see if you still give the same advice.
    mwmcbroom
    Re: Second Instance of SI wipes out all my settings -- Why? 2018/05/27 17:06:17 (permalink)
    Well, I dunno what it was exactly, but I went back and deleted a couple of soft synths, including one questionable one, and now everything is back to where it should be. I was able to load the second instance of one of my synths and nothing blew up. Order has been restored to the universe.

Still, I'm wondering what caused this. I wonder if it's that one suspect soft synth that was causing all the trouble?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1