The Step Sequencer and Matrix View improvements and Workflow tips Thread.

Author
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
2018/06/03 11:19:01 (permalink)

The Step Sequencer and Matrix View improvements and Workflow tips Thread.

I have been experimenting a bit lately with the Step Sequencer and the Matrix View, to see if I can definitely abandon Ableton Live as creative tool, and I am finding that the Step Sequencer and Matrix view combo could be very powerful if those tools got a little more love. I just added some ideas to the Features and Improvements thread, but I am thinking that maybe I am missing something in the way I am using them, or that other users could share some workflow ideas of their own.

I think that the Matrix and Step Sequencer are tools that might atract a lot of new users to Cakelab, but at the same time I find that it would be an easy mistake for a newcomer to make that would lead to much frustration to look at the Matrix as an Ableton Live's Session wannabe. I believe that they have stengths of their own, like creative tools within the context of a program like Cakewalk, that is NOT a live performing oriented app.

Anyway, it would be great if we could have this thread so those users who actually have integrated these tools in their workflow could share them, and to add and discuss ideas to make them better.

My own, at the moment are:

A "Duplicate pattern" button in the Step Sequencer. Better yet, a "Duplicate" shortcut everywhere, a la Ableton Live CTRL + D.

Better Step Sequencer integration with the Matrix View, like editing and auditioning a pattern while the Matrix is running.

Integration between the Step Sequencer patterns and Drum Maps. Save drum maps with patterns. Better yet, save the track template with them, too, and make it possible to audition it directly from the browser, a la Ableton Live Clips. This is one of my favourite Live features. I can save a midi pattern with all the track routing and patch changes to an external hardware synth like a .alc file and audition it from the browser without loading the actual track. If you don't know what I am talking about, think of it like a previewable track template with data.

2 Replies Related Threads

mkerl
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 190
    Re: The Step Sequencer and Matrix View improvements and Workflow tips Thread. 2018/06/03 19:00:50 (permalink)
    I would second the better Step Sequenzer Integration. What I wouldt like is recording directly into a pattern in the Matrix. (Like Mixcraft does)

Cheers :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
    MFanning
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: The Step Sequencer and Matrix View improvements and Workflow tips Thread. 2018/06/05 15:33:13 (permalink)
    I definitely want to second the idea for more development for the Matrix View and for the step sequencer.  You present good ideas.  I also think that Cakewalk could seriously challenge Ableton Live if the Matrix could be developed more.  In addition to the ideas presented above, I would like to ad making the selected MV cells more visible and distinct and possible better integration with Novation Launchpad.  As it is Launchpad buttons can be programed to trigger Cakewalk's MV cells but it would be great if selected cells could also be illuminated the way Live does it so you can visually see which cells are playing.  Even when looking on my monitor at the MV while playing the active cells are not so obvious and it can be hard to see which cells are playing.  Just make the active cell look brighter or flash or something so you can obviously see which part is playing.  I don't do Electronic dance music, I see MV potentially useful for all types of music especially if one wants to use Cakewalk for live performances. -MF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1