Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional?

Author
DanielVogel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2018/06/03 12:43:10 (permalink)

Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional?

I'm a one-man-band recording every track once at a time in a teeny weeny studio using a new tower PC and about to purchase Professional. My pre-purchase questions/neurotic anxiety:

- Professional will offer me drum samples and editing capabilities that won't cause a nervous breakdown?
- Professional will offer me other digital bass and synth instruments? (80% of my tracks will be synths with 20% added guitars and vocal sounds)  These are easy to insert into Professional tracks and control with my MicroKorg controller?
- Professional will mean I won't need a physical mixer as in the old days if I'm working as a single home recording musician mixing the cat and caboodle into a stereo mix all within my PC?  HOWEVER, opposite argument, if I plan on recording a few tracks using a mic for vocal effects and one electric guitar, I'll still need a mixer (even if only with few channels) to plug the guitar (or guitar effects processing box) into as I'll need a preamp prior to line in of my external USB soundcard?
- Professional will mean a 2 channel stereo in/out USB soundcard will be sufficient?
- My sound card must have a Midi In (which I noticed few soundcards do) if I'm going to use a keyboard like a MicroKorg XL as my controller of the Sonar synths? (example, was going to buy the Tascam UH-7000 but Cakewalk's list of tested soundcards says it doesn't have a Midi In so that one's out)

I used every Cakewalk from Cakewalk 1 to Sonar 2XL, then dropped out, and now I'm back!

10 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 12:49:32 (permalink)
    Well..Cakewalk as it was doesn't exist anymore. It's owned now by Bandlab, and Cakewalk Bandlab version is available free of charge. It's close to the SONAR Platinum. The third party VSTs aren't included. There are stickies and many threads about it here.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 14:20:55 (permalink)
    It's your lucky day. There is no need to purchase Profesional. There is now only one version which is based on Platinum and it is now Free for Bandlab users. All you have to do is join Bandlab.com. This has all happened quite recently. The new version is simply called Cakewalk by Bandlab. It's the core software that was Platinum without the extra plugins and content. Bandlab has lots of free loops available if that is your thing. I guess the money you were going to spend on Pro can now be used to buy plugins etc.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 15:52:14 (permalink)
    Like you I started at the VERY start with both Sonar to Sonar Platinum ( to give it it's correct handle ) and Cubase ( to C/B 9.5) both great bits of software ... Sonar Plat lacks so much when you start to play using Cubase, and it's things that matter CPU overhead giving you a lot less problems in the 'Oh f/I .. Forgot to save department' and more... but it is very hard to get it all under control in comparison. SOoo
    Sonar Platish ( 'cause it's not the real deal) = Free
    Cubase 9.5                                            = $500.00 +  But that IS

Hope this informs (BTW, Win 7 Pro 64 / 8gig / Q8200 on an ASUS P5Q dl LGA 775 (not running on steam so shouldn't work but does ... and very well)

Therefore You get what you pay for ? ish  (and your pre-purchase questions/neurotic anxiety to one side)

All the Best and keep lucky
    iRelevant
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 16:15:08 (permalink)
    Must be your lucky day :) Notice that you need an internet connection to activate and install it. No off-line installers.

[Edit] Your also double lucky, as you missed the lifetime update deal ... there still seems to be some bitterness left in the air about that. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 16:51:09 (permalink)
    iRelevant
    [Edit] Your also double lucky, as you missed the lifetime update deal ... there still seems to be some bitterness left in the air about that. 

I've been to the mountaintop and I've seen where that issue is forgotten. I, BTW, have never felt bitter about it. I feel I got what I fairly paid for and have now moved forward with multiple DAWs at my disposal (including CbB).
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 17:39:48 (permalink)
    SONAR Platinum is perfect for your needs, but it is not available anymore.

Cakewalk by BandLab is basically the same DAW and engine without so many synths and effects "given" away with the purchase.  It isn't  as cost effective, but more precise to add your own choice of synths/effects.

I seem to record music much like you, doing mainly synths for the rhythm and fx tracks and then bringing in real guitar/bass/vox.  Dim Pro, Rapture, Alchemy (all older synths) are mainstays, but I use NI Kontakt a lot, too.  You can get the NI collections relatively cheap by buying into the NI world and waiting for the twice a year sale.  Buy a $100 softsynth like I did and then spend $200-400 to get upgraded to more NI synths than you can swing a cat at, including the Kontakt sampler (pretty much THE standard sampler these days) with worlds of libraries available and plenty of synths.  You won't need any other synths with all of those included.  
    chris.r
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/03 19:16:40 (permalink)
    iRelevant

The bitterness you're talking here was mostly about that people who bought into lifetime updates were asking for an unlock key after Sonar shut-down, so they could stay with the most recent version of Sonar for their lifetime, but are refused to do so, unfortunately.

I for once am still on 32-bit system, but will happily move on to the new CakeLab in future once upgraded the hardware. Nevertheless I'd like to have my Platinum bundle always on hand and do not fear of any server shutdown, but have not found any confirmation about it. Instead there was some urging to move ASAP from Sonar to CakeLab as they (Noel & Bandlab) can't say how long the servers will continue to work. It has nothing to do with the bitterness that people can have now for free something I had to pay before.
    iRelevant
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/04 22:43:59 (permalink)
    chris.r
    iRelevant

The bitterness you're talking here was mostly about that people who bought into lifetime updates were asking for an unlock key after Sonar shut-down, so they could stay with the most recent version of Sonar for their lifetime, but are refused to do so, unfortunately.

[snip]

I had more the poster ahead of me in mind, trying to diminish the excellent value of CbB vs his $500 Cubase.

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/04 23:47:20 (permalink)
    Based on what you said, Cakewalk can still work for you. You may just have to invest in some instruments. I think komplete select may stillness on sale for 99 and may fiulfill your needs
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Am I right about prospective purchase of Professional? 2018/06/05 00:33:34 (permalink)
    AIR Complete is another one worth looking at. Probably not right now though... keep an eye out at pluginboutique, as every so often they'll sell one of the instruments for $1 and offer an upgrade to complete for $69.

M.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1