Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll

Author
Falk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2018/06/03 12:52:54 (permalink)

Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll

Heya, finally had the opportunity to make the jump from SPLAT to CbB super impressed at all the changes so far; as someone who does a lot of ITB stuff on some projects, the piano roll improvements alone made the jump worth it!

Now that things seem to be rolling forward again for Cakewalk, thought I'd revisit this suggestion I made some time back. Lots of VSTs operate with keyswitches and CC, whether it's selecting velocity layers, articulations or even different playing techniques. It'd be incredible for workflow if we could customize visuals on the piano roll for this per track (and obviously save them as track templates) so that keyswitches and CC thresholds, etc are easier to parse at-a-glance rather than flipping through VST user manual PDFs every couple of hours. Here's a mockup example for Prominy's V-METAL guitar library.

Similarly, CC lanes and even the velocity row could show specific thresholds for the VST in question.

Ideally, if piano roll themes were per-track (defaults to global if no per-track data) and included BG color selection, text color selection, and label text per MIDI pitch, that'd accomplish something very close. Ditto on CC lanes, although that'd have to also then add number of divisions, where the boundaries are on each, etc.

6 Replies Related Threads

Falk
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/03 12:54:54 (permalink)
    Derp, right after I hit post and got back to the forum front page, I see a big stickied topic labelled "Feature Request". Feel free to lock this, posting this there instead.

My bad!
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/03 13:11:45 (permalink)
    What you can use is a drum map sounds strange to suggest but if you use one of the blank or pass though maps you can add the Key Switches to the map.  It may not show the black and white keys but it will show MIDI note number and Pitch.  i.e. note 5 / F0 note 6 /F#0 etc.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    midist
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/03 15:06:14 (permalink)
    It is good idea!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/03 15:35:18 (permalink)
    In addition to drum maps, it is also possible to expand the .Note Names section of Master.ins to replace the keyboard display in the note pane. That said, both drum maps and the note names feature could benefit from updates.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/04 03:00:45 (permalink)
    I agree, it would be an excellent enhancement if you could just type in arbitrary descriptions for any keys and have them saved with the MIDI track. Even better if they could then be saved to and restored from track templates. Not a replacement for drum maps, which can do more than just label MIDI notes, but far less work.

In the meantime, like others here I've devised my own system that works well for me.

I have drum maps set up for my most-used instruments, and use separate MIDI tracks for notes and keyswitches. It was time-consuming to create the maps initially, but it's been well worth it.

For example, a string section will typically have 8 MIDI tracks: one each for violins, violas, cellos and basses plus one additional track for each of their articulation sets. 

You can then take it one step further and build a track template that builds all these tracks and loads the instruments with a few clicks. My strings template automatically creates...
    • a "Strings" track folder
    • 8 MIDI tracks, with appropriate drum maps
    • 4 audio tracks
    • an aux track to sum all 4 audio outputs (saving the need for a separate sub-bus)
    • and loads a multi-out instance of Kontakt with 4 instruments
    • with everything properly routed to and from Kontakt
    I reckon doing all that by hand would easily be a 30-minute process (longer if I make a mistake :)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Benevolentmutation
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Feature Request - Keyswitch etc. labeling in piano roll 2018/06/04 03:45:40 (permalink)
    I just wish the bandlab app (android/ios) would get a piano roll. It's a must have tool, all my peeps on there who only can use a phone want this feature lol, sorry, not exactly related but uh... piano roll. please.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit X64 based processor
    Intel i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00 GHz 2.50 GHz
    RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1