Helpful ReplyMusiclab stole my licences

Author
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
2018/06/04 19:40:06 (permalink)

Musiclab stole my licences

I'm probably way behind the times here and going to tell you all something that you already know, but just in case anyone doesn't....

Doing some DAW housework today I noticed that for some reason I only have the 32 bit version of my realguitar2 installed. I had a problem a while back after trying the demo for the newer version which overwrote the existing installation which was a PITA when the demo expired as I was no longer able to use the version that I already had and existing projects listed the synth as missing. I wasn't sufficiently impressed by the new version to buy it, so I ended up having to unistall completely and then reinstall the old one again and for this reason alone have never felt inclined to try out the any of their other demos since.

Even though I know I must have the installer somewhere because of the above and having an offline DAW do you think I can find it? I suspect that because is installed that it is listed as the uninstaller now and that running that might open up a "repair" mode, but I'm not sure, so I signed into my musiclab account figuring that I would just download it again. No products at all were listed in my account, so I contacted musiclab asking where they had gone and was told by reply that I have to pay for the new versions in order to get an installer. There's no way that I'm going to do that just be told again in a few years time that I'll have to buy it all over again or have nothing, so if anyone is considering trying out any demos of newer versions of your musiclab instruments, be aware as it will over-write the existing and you won't be able to get the installer for the old one again.

I thought the practice of the demo over-writing existing installs was dodgy, but this really taking the piss.

/rant

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/04 22:33:03 (permalink)
I logged into my MusicLab account and saw all of my previous versions, 3.1 - 5.01.  If you purchased version 2.0 then I believe it should be there. 

Do you have any of your purchased documentation from MusicLab?

I copy all receipts from emails and on-line into Word documents and save them with the installers on a separate HD off line in storage.

IF you are using a newer version of Windows like 8 or 10, version 2.0 is not going to work anyway.  I had to upgrade to Real Guitar version 4.0 because my Version 3.0 would not appear when I upgraded to Windows 10. 

Best Wishes to you.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
paulo
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/05 08:57:33 (permalink)
Jesse G
I logged into my MusicLab account and saw all of my previous versions, 3.1 - 5.01.  If you purchased version 2.0 then I believe it should be there. 

Do you have any of your purchased documentation from MusicLab?

I copy all receipts from emails and on-line into Word documents and save them with the installers on a separate HD off line in storage.

IF you are using a newer version of Windows like 8 or 10, version 2.0 is not going to work anyway.  I had to upgrade to Real Guitar version 4.0 because my Version 3.0 would not appear when I upgraded to Windows 10. 

Best Wishes to you.

Thanks for the reply Jesse.

The fact that I purchased the products is not in dispute, they already acknowledged that I did, but what they are saying is that I can no longer install or activate them. My DAW pc is offline win 7 and will be for as long as I can help it because I'm not a fan of win 10, so compatibility is not an issue for me. According to the latest specs the new version is also compatible with win 7, so it's not like they can say that they no longer supply prodcuts that support win 7. I have no problem with the product being no longer supported on OS going forwards, well I sort of do, but accept that this is the world we live in now. However, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to carry on using what I have already paid for if I have the equipment on which to run it. Their reply was also very arrogant along the lines of ......all you have to do is pay for the upgrades and it will be fine again, so effectively I am being held to ransom and it doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid. 

I must have the installer file somewhere as like you I do keep them as well as all the purchase info / passwords and such and I already had to reinstall before both when I got a new pc and when the demo overwrote the previously installed version, but for some reason I just couldn't find the RG one yesterday. As I said, I suspect the answer may actually be the file listed as the uninstaller which when run can then be set to "repair" thus effectively reinstalling the prog as I seem to remember having something that worked that way, but knowing what I know now I'm reluctant to try running that in case it really is just an uninstaller and then I really will be screwed. Plus if it needs reauthorisation, then once again I'm screwed.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/05 09:51:51 (permalink)
Barring an image if you have one, do you have restore points enabled on the Win7 machine? If so, try restoring prior to the demo install. Going forward, a disk image regimen is going to be imperative if you want to recover that machine. More and more things will vaporize on you.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
paulo
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/05 11:22:45 (permalink)
mettelus
Barring an image if you have one, do you have restore points enabled on the Win7 machine? If so, try restoring prior to the demo install. Going forward, a disk image regimen is going to be imperative if you want to recover that machine. More and more things will vaporize on you.

I take your point about disk image. I was all set to get a new HD and have the current one cloned onto it when the brown stuff hit the CW fan, then bandlab stepped in, so I told myself that it could wait a while. I have long since expected problems with upgrades no longer supporting win7 and don't buy anything steinberg any more as I know from experience that they are prone just abandoning products altogether, but I did not forsee musiclab doing the dirty and snatching away existing licences and holding them to ransom. I accept that what I have won't work on win10 and that I would have to upgrade if I required that, but I shouldn't have to upgrade to keep it on my present system.

Anyway, I've found the installer file now but am not sure whether to run it or not after all. I'm pretty sure that I didn't have to re-authorise it the last time that I re-installed because the licence key file is still in place, but I'm not 100% sure and don't want to find out the hard way.

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/06 04:47:55 (permalink)
Paulo,

Windows 10 for free is over and MS is no longer providing free installs.  The installation for Windows 10 will now cost you and that is a manual purchase of the license.

So, I would say connect your Win 7 computer to the Internet and get you download file from Music-Lab as well as the Reg Key to re-install your software, then take the PC off line again.

It will be worth it.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
paulo
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/06 08:38:54 (permalink)
Jesse G
Paulo,

Windows 10 for free is over and MS is no longer providing free installs.  The installation for Windows 10 will now cost you and that is a manual purchase of the license.

So, I would say connect your Win 7 computer to the Internet and get you download file from Music-Lab as well as the Reg Key to re-install your software, then take the PC off line again.

It will be worth it.

Thanks again for replying, but you are misunderstanding the issue. 

Musiclab have removed the product downloads and the licences from the list in my account and will not allow me to access to them. They say that I have to pay to upgrade my products to the new version and then I can download those with new licences. 

Whether my DAW is win 7/8 /10 or connected to the www or not makes no difference to the situation here. The new versions are also win 7 compatible They are not allowing further download or authorisation of the products I bought without paying the upgrade fees, so basically holding owners of these products to ransom, which stinks IMO. 

I found the installer file anyway, so that's not an issue any more, but I'm reluctant to run it now in case it ignores the existing licence key file and demands a new one in which case I'd be screwed. 

I can use the 32 bit version just fine, so unless anyone here can confirm that re-installing it over the top of the existing installation will not make it demand a new registration file, then that is what I will have to do.

Rasure
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Musiclab stole my licences 2018/06/06 10:34:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/06/06 12:51:17
Jesse G
Paulo,

I reluctantly did an upgrade from Win 7 Ultimate to Windows Pro only last week, didn't cost me a penny. All registered and fully activated. I used this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ and just upgraded with no issues. I did a back up first mind, just in case. :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
[16 Gig Ram]
[NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
[Windows 10 Pro x64]
[Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
[Studio One 4 Pro]
[Notion 6]
[Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
[Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1