How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder?

Author
poetnprophet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2018/06/07 16:22:29 (permalink)

How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder?

Hi there, does anyone know the settings to make audio files save into the project folder?  I used to have this setup, not sure what happened.  For every project, I have a folder with a folder inside for Audio.  When I create/save a new project, I select "save audio to project folder".  But, the audio is not there.  It's in what seems like a Global audio folder, but that isn't the audio folder specified in the folder settings for global audio anyway.  I feel like I've been through all of the settings, can't seem to get it working the way I want.  Any ideas?

thanks,
dave

Cakewalk by Bandlab
i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
Hulk 990, NT1A
Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
www.kdubbproductions.com
https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 

9 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 16:50:01 (permalink)
    The per-project audio folder switch was removed from preferences some time ago. When creating new projects or using "save as" pay attention to the project and audio path settings in the dialog. By default audio is in a folder below the project file.
    poetnprophet
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 17:08:01 (permalink)
    Hi Scook, sorry but i'm not sure I follow.  If per-project was removed, that makes sense why I never noticed it and why I can't change it now.  But you then say, default audio is in folder below project file, but the project file is in the project folder along with the Audio folder.  (C:\Client Proj\Proj A\Proj A.cwp)  All project fall under a separate "client" folder, and in this main client folder is where the Audio folder is with the actual audio for all projects in that client folder.  (C:\Client Proj\Audio)

So, I would have to manually set the path for each Save As?  There is no way to make it default?

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 17:14:29 (permalink)
    The default audio folder in the example
    C:\Client Proj\Proj A\Proj A.cwp
    is
    C:\Client Proj\Proj A\Audio

The dialog sets up the paths in the project. When using a non-default location, CbB creates an absolute path for the audio folder in the project. Using the default layout allows CbB to use a relative path. It also creates several other folders at the same level for other functions.

poetnprophet
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 17:26:18 (permalink)
    ok Yes, this is what I would expect, but that is not what is happening and the reason for my post.  

So, am I to then uncheck the box "save audio to project folder"?  that is the only thing NOT default when saving.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 17:40:07 (permalink)
    "Save audio to project folder" should be enabled for per-project audio folders. The audio will be saved in the folder specified in the audio path in the dialog.
    poetnprophet
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 17:43:57 (permalink)
    Ok, I'll check tonight when I'm back, I feel like I have it right, but i'll confirm.  thanks again.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/07 23:46:07 (permalink)
    When the Bakers introduced the start screen in Platinum ( I think ), the new project behavior changed. If you click new project from the start window it starts a project (untitled.x) as the name and the audio goes to the global audio folder. If you don't want that to happen you need to start a new project from a template or click file->new and give it a name to use per project audio folders.
    If you have a project that has audio in the global audio folder and want to use a project audio folder you can "save as" give it a new name and check the box that states "copy all audio with project" to create a project wit an audio folder.
    The "use per project audio folders" in preferences is gone. F.w.i.w. I like it before they changed it, the reasoning as I understand it was to be able to start a project in one click and be up and running faster. I hope this helps.

Rocky
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/08 00:12:03 (permalink)
    What I do is use SAVE AS  then when the dialogue window opens I CREATE A NEW FOLDER in my audio drive,  when that folder is created : The path in the save dialogue will populate the new folder and a new audio folder within the project folder. Name and save will COPY all audio files to the new project folder.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    poetnprophet
    Re: How do I get audio into the project audio folder and not the global audio folder? 2018/06/08 15:07:32 (permalink)
    OK, I am sorry for the confusion....saying that mostly to myself.  The issue was that I did have a project template that is in the root of the main project folder.  Therefore if I saved something in the template (sometimes the project doesn't officially get named until later in the session), audio goes to the global folder also in the root.  Duh!  I went and checked some recent projects, and sure enough the files are where they should be, since I typically Save As with a new name and folder, which is all setup correctly. 

I only discovered the issue of missing audio with 2 previous projects, and I suspect it has something to do with the way I saved them during those sessions.  I have all of my projects backed up in the cloud to mix at home, and when I downloaded the project folder, the audio was missing.  Well, only some of the audio.  I'm not sure why they weren't saved properly when I did do the Save As, but probably something I overlooked.

Anyway, thanks again, issue resolved....long live Cakewalk!
    Dave

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1