34" Ultrawide (LG 34UM59-P)

Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
2018/06/09 20:35:03 (permalink)

34" Ultrawide (LG 34UM59-P)

I do a lot of side-by-side documentation work, and although I run two monitors, the second is normally off. Having come across the ultrawides recently, I started to research them. Because I sit 3 feet from my monitors, I knocked 4k and touch off the list immediately (I wouldn't be able to see or touch those respectively), then started looking at LG models. Turns out that the differences between the 2560X1080 models is pretty much connection type only, but a drastic drop in warranty (from 3 years for HDMI to only 1 year for anything else). B&H had a $279 deal on one LG 34UM59-P and $479 deal on two, so I grabbed one (in hindsight I should have grabbed the second for other computers to use) and am rather impressed with it. A Display port to HDMI works perfectly fine (one review had said it doesn't), it has significantly better contrast, and actually shows true black (what an eye saver that one is!). Essentially 8" wider, but cheap and incredibly effective. Document work is now simple (since it has a utility to perfectly split screen for you), and it is amazing the difference in a DAW to have 8" more track view (especially with the inspector open on one end and the browser in the other). I have kept a second monitor for Console/VST viewing, but not displaying true black now bothers the crap out of me.

I searched and only saw 3 older posts about these, but wanted to make a quick comment for anyone. The contrast and massive track view makes it impressive for DAW usage, but it it 8" wider, so monitor spacing and desktop footprint can be issues. Another caveat is that there are three "34UM59" models and only the 34UM59-P has the 3 year warranty (and HDMI input only). The market also seems to be geared towards Radeon to get full control of almost all of them (will do 75Hz refresh rate on Radeon with FreeSync, but only 60Hz on NVIDIA), but I am running mine on NVIDIA without issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1