Helpful ReplyDoes Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor?

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/06/10 01:00:24 (permalink)

Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor?

I recently bought Waves SSL G Channel Strip and the SSL Mix Buss Compressor.  I'm wondering what anybody here who might have it too thinks of it.  I just started using it.  I never liked to use compression because of how it smashes the dynamic range but I figured it would behoove me to take the time and effort to try to master it for the sake of my music (and sanity).  Another thing I'm wondering-Even though it's mainly designed for the Master Buss, how effective would it be on the individual channels for compression on them.  What specifically makes it better for the master mix buss?

Thanks!

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 02:44:08 (permalink)
Johnbee58
I never liked to use compression because of how it smashes the dynamic range 

I feel like this is a huge over statement. While compressors can do that, they can also be very subtle.

Here's an SSL youtube playlist from waves:

https://www.youtube.com/p...u-f5vMgguT9ly-wedYNC9p
Johnbee58
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 09:33:12 (permalink)
RSMCGUITAR
Johnbee58
I never liked to use compression because of how it smashes the dynamic range 

I feel like this is a huge over statement. While compressors can do that, they can also be very subtle.

Here's an SSL youtube playlist from waves:

https://www.youtube.com/p...u-f5vMgguT9ly-wedYNC9p

Do you have the SSL Mix Buss Compressor?
Thanks.
JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 11:59:51 (permalink)
I have the Waves SSL Buss Compressor (The Glue), and use it on every mix.
If you have the G channel, as far as using the Buss comp on individual tracks, there is no need since you already have a comp section on the g strip, and a great comp section at that.
As far as what makes the SSL BUSS comp better for the master buss, is it's character and the way it gently glues the mix together. It isn't a fix a bad mix band aid. It is a comprehensive final cohesive tool to glue the mix together. Experiment with it and try it out on your mixes, it's software so it doesn't cost you anything to experiment with it.
I have found that one of the keys to using the SSL Buss Comp  on the Master Buss is to shoot for a 2 to 4 db of compression using your threshold control,  with a ratio on 2. fast attack (.1) Medium release (.6).  The analog button as you probably know. adds a bit of noise, which is a matter of preference and individual choice, I always keep it off. That's just a starting point for you to experiment, Hope that Helps.

Johnbee58
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 13:06:36 (permalink)
KingsMix
I have the Waves SSL Buss Compressor (The Glue), and use it on every mix.
If you have the G channel, as far as using the Buss comp on individual tracks, there is no need since you already have a comp section on the g strip, and a great comp section at that.
As far as what makes the SSL BUSS comp better for the master buss, is it's character and the way it gently glues the mix together. It isn't a fix a bad mix band aid. It is a comprehensive final cohesive tool to glue the mix together. Experiment with it and try it out on your mixes, it's software so it doesn't cost you anything to experiment with it.
I have found that one of the keys to using the SSL Buss Comp  on the Master Buss is to shoot for a 2 to 4 db of compression using your threshold control,  with a ratio on 2. fast attack (.1) Medium release (.6).  The analog button as you probably know. adds a bit of noise, which is a matter of preference and individual choice, I always keep it off. That's just a starting point for you to experiment, Hope that Helps.

It does and I'll use it.
I played a bit with the compressor in the Channel Strip in a vocal track.  I was wondering why the Attack control only consists of a slider with a discreet on or off for fast attack or slow.  I think an indiscreet knob would work better.  It would at least allow more variation.  Why did they do this on the strip?

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 14:43:16 (permalink)
Try the PC SSL buss comp in SONAR.  That will give you a good idea of how the buss comp works on complex sources.  When used right, it helps bring out the lead instrument (ie. loudest source) in a mix while gently suppressing the rhythmic tracks.  We have heard it so much it has become part of the our modern music listening experience so it sounds "natural." 
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 17:55:33 (permalink)
I have the Entire Waves SSL bundle.  Yes, I love the Waves SSL G-Master Buss Compressor and  I mainly use it on my Mix Bus in Son.. I mean Cakewalk By Bandlab.  (Actually I still mix in Sonar Platinum).

I do use it on other channels as well when I want to use it, however, I have a surplus of Comp plugins for that.
It's a great Master Comp, which when used correctly, takes a minimum setting to (Glue the mix).

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/10 21:03:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2018/06/10 21:09:06
I use the Waves SSL Buss compressor in Studio One. The trick is to get it doing very light duties and it will not smash your dynamic range at all. Fast Attack is completely wrong BTW. NO!!! Fast attack means it will jump on transients and ruin the snap and punch in your mix. Over a mix these settings will sound nice and very transparent.

Attack should be set at 10 mS
Release to 0.1 sec or sometimes 0.3 
Ratio to 2:1
Threshold so the needle rarely reaches the 4 dB mark. Somewhere about half way from 0 to 4 dB mark. 
Makeup so the rms level of the signal is identical after the plugin to the before plugin level. e.g. setup a VU meter here and get identical settings before and after the buss compressor.

This will set up a glue type sound over a whole mix and will not damage your mix and sound like its not even there but you will realise that the buss compressed sound is nicer and glued a little more.

Learn to listen for the sound of your mix with this in and out. After a while you will really start to hear it. This takes time and many are impatient here. They are wanting to hear something and that is why people go for more drastic settings in order hear something. 

Personally I find even the 2:1 ratio a little strong sometimes. I like buss compressors to have an even lower ratio e.g. 1.5:1 sounds better to me than 2:1

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Johnbee58
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/11 11:09:04 (permalink)
I want to thank everybody here for giving me excellent tips.  I do have a correction to make as I'm afraid I have misinformed you.  I do not have the G Channel, as I preciously stated.  I have the E Channel.  I think that does make a difference, but I don't know what.

So sorry about that.

JB

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/11 12:00:26 (permalink)
Waves SSL Channel E is a great plugin. When used as been pointed out, gently, it does give a mix a focused sound.

I have been a/b'ing the Waves SSL against bx_console. I find both to work extremely well on mixes. I also find it rather nice to work out a mix with an analog style plugin on every channel. I found the Waves SSL to be less CPU intensive. It didn't make the performance meter go as high as did the bx plugins.

I don't think I would have paid the top dollar for the Waves SSL as they wanted a few years back. But I got it on sale and feel fortunate to have such excellent plugins at my disposal.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Johnbee58
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/11 18:35:49 (permalink)
As far as channels are concerned, I have two by Waves.  I have the Renaissance EQ and now the E Channel Strip.  So far I think I get better results from the Renn EQ.  I don't know why, but it seems that way.  Maybe it's because I have it longer I'm more familiar with it.  I also have Reason and the SSL channel strip looks similar to the virtual board in Reason/Record.  I used to contemplate recording my tracks in Sonar and opening them in Reason just to use that board.  Now I have access to it in Cakewalk.  Cool!

JB

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/13 03:11:42 (permalink)
This is the Wave G Comp.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Does Anybody Here Have Waves SSL Mix Buss Compressor? 2018/06/13 03:46:21 (permalink)
And it works good too!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1