Helpful Reply(Solved) Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update

Author
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
2018/06/13 18:46:27 (permalink)

(Solved) Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update

This issue may or may not be Sonar related and I do plan to contact Waves but need to know if anyone is experiencing this issue.
Few days ago I opened Waves Central to add new Plugins and was informed Waves Central required an update and will not allow me to continue without getting the update.

Reluctantly and given I had no choice, I ran the update. Now Sonar takes bout 5 minutes to scan Waves.

Have you experience this?

Thank you in advance!

AI
post edited by Audioicon - 2018/06/18 16:27:39

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/13 18:50:30 (permalink)
I believe it's a Waves issue - we should all report it. Same here.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

Audioicon
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/13 19:12:48 (permalink)
LJB
I believe it's a Waves issue - we should all report it. Same here.

Thanks my friend:

Yeah, I am going to give them a call and will post back, don't mean to dump Waves issues here but it's annoying that I am forced to update what I don't need, and something that's already working. Now it is killing my productivity.

Life goes on. :)

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/13 19:52:20 (permalink)
I've only just started using Waves plugins (over the last couple of months).

As well as the slow VST scan (and the fact it tries to rescan it EVERY time), I'm pretty sure the Waves plugins are responsible for the slower loading of CbB projects, as it seems to coincide with when I got my first Waves plugin.

I've not really noticed a slowdown between the new v10 and v9 though. The VST Scanner slowed down with v9 installed, and is no slower now with v10.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/13 20:53:29 (permalink)
I just fired up SONAR Platinum to check (the latest and final release) I very rarely run it, and never bothered with CbB, and it does scans slowly, it always did to be honest compared to my other DAW's, although there are no issues with Studio One 3/4 Pro or REAPER after updating Waves, they just scream through as usual.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/13 22:09:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby msmcleod 2018/06/13 22:35:20
We are following the VST3 spec for the logic for scanning. Waves plugins can dynamically update based on your license.

Technically if the DLL exposes itself with the "kClassesDiscardable" property every time the scanner runs we MUST enumerate all plugins in the package. Its possible that other hosts are not respecting this.
See the comments taken verbatim from the SDK below.

kClassesDiscardable = 1 << 0, ///< The number of exported classes can change each time the Module is loaded. If this flag is set, the host does not cache class information. This leads to a longer startup time because the host always has to load the Module to get the current class information.

If you want to speed up CbB startup with Waves plugin's, turn off automatic scan and do the scan manually once in awhile.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Phoen1xPJ
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 00:53:54 (permalink)

If you want to speed up CbB startup with Waves plugin's, turn off automatic scan and do the scan manually once in awhile.

I've been doing that for years even b4 SPlat. I only manually scan if I add new plugs... like v 10 Waves. 

Yours With a Song,
Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
*new* Cakewalk by BandLab
Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
(2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
*new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 01:08:32 (permalink)
Scan is taking forever after the 10 update.

Plugins still on V9 are no longer even there.  Contacted Waves we shall see.

I've had more problems with their installers/upgrades than any other software I've had, I think.  Like the sound and function of a number of them when they are working though.

Thanks for the tip of changing the scan, just changed my default.  
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 01:25:38 (permalink)
My first scan of Sonar (Not CBB) after I installed Waves 10 the scan took about 1.5 minutes.
The second time I opened Sonar (not CBB) it scanned in 5 seconds.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 01:44:19 (permalink)
The first couple of Waves plugins I bought I had issues with the install of both the WC update and the plugin install.  You might want to try temporarily disabling your antivirus/security software for the install/scan.  That helped me quite a bit.

John B

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 10:12:27 (permalink)
Both S.Plat and Cakewalk by Bandlab had scan issues here after updating to Waves 10. It took a few attempts but it all scanned in the end and everything is fine now

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 13:49:01 (permalink)
Yes whenever the count of Waves plugins changes or a new Waves plugin DLL is installed, on first run afterwards Cakewalk will do a full scan of the Waves package. That could take some time depending on how many plugins you own. However after that scan finishes successfully it should be fast on subsequent runs since it will no longer need to do that. This is normal behavior.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
newdreamstudio
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/14 17:36:24 (permalink)
FWIW, No problems here.
I have many many plugins (but only 4-5 Waves plugins).
A couple of days ago I updated Waves Central and then updated my plugins to V10...
Ran a VST scan yesterday, it took about 5 seconds....
Rusty

rusty kirkland
Studiocat, Intel i7-8th gen/Coffee Lake @ 5.0GHz,  32 gigs RAM, SONAR Platinum 64bit, Motu 2408, 24 I/O and 8pre
CbB
Audioicon
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/15 14:28:28 (permalink)
We are following the VST3 spec for the logic for scanning. Waves plugins can dynamically update based on your license.

Technically if the DLL exposes itself with the "kClassesDiscardable" property every time the scanner runs we MUST enumerate all plugins in the package. Its possible that other hosts are not respecting this.

kClassesDiscardable = 1 << 0, ///< The number of exported classes can change each time the Module is loaded. If this flag is set, the host does not cache class information. This leads to a longer startup time because the host always has to load the Module to get the current class information.

Thank you for the contribution:

I was able to resolved this problem by uninstalling Waves Central and also all Waves plugins and also deleting the waves folder (Optional).

Then I re-installed Waves Central and all Plugins for Waves. Everything works as before.

So here is why this problem happened.
According to Waves, all of Version 9 Plug-ins are not compatible with Waves V10.
I starting experiencing issues after I attempted to install additional plugins after updating Waves Central. Because all of my current Waves Plug-ins are version 9, they require updating.

In a nutshell and according to waves. If you currently have Waves Plugin and you need to install and activate additional plugins that are version 10, the best solution is to uninstall and reinstall after updating Waves Central.

The above process may have previously corrupted some files causing the scan to take longer.

Jesse G
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/16 01:09:38 (permalink)

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Jesse G
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/06/16 01:11:25 (permalink)
Jesse G
My first scan of Sonar (Not CBB) after I installed Waves 10 the scan took about 1.5 minutes.
The second time I opened Sonar (not CBB) it scanned in 5 seconds.

Correction that was after I closed Sonar and immediately reopened it.
The Next day it took 11. 2 seconds to scan all of my plug-ins.

Peace,

kevinwhitect
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/11/12 22:40:20 (permalink)
Audioicon

Thank you for the contribution:

I was able to resolved this problem by uninstalling Waves Central and also all Waves plugins and also deleting the waves folder (Optional).

Then I re-installed Waves Central and all Plugins for Waves. Everything works as before.

So here is why this problem happened.
According to Waves, all of Version 9 Plug-ins are not compatible with Waves V10.
I starting experiencing issues after I attempted to install additional plugins after updating Waves Central. Because all of my current Waves Plug-ins are version 9, they require updating.

In a nutshell and according to waves. If you currently have Waves Plugin and you need to install and activate additional plugins that are version 10, the best solution is to uninstall and reinstall after updating Waves Central.

The above process may have previously corrupted some files causing the scan to take longer.

... Hi ... my name is Kev, and I, too, have this issue.

I did EVERYTHING suggested here (I have a bunch of V.9 and 2 V.10 -- hence the need to do anything), and each and every load of every project ... the SECOND a Waves plug is encountered, takes forever (okay, about 2 minutes) to load.

It works (after figuring out how to force it to do so), but it doesn't work smoothly or (more precisely) quickly on each and every load of every project where Waves plugs are employed. 

Any updates on solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Kev-

All my music is free for download at:  

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R V.2 Mobo
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
OS Drive: Samsung 500G SSD
Program/Storage Drives: Samsung 500G SSD (x3)
Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary) x64
Layla 24/96 on ASIO Drivers
Sonar Platinum 

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/11/13 03:03:16 (permalink)
Sounds like you're describing a different symptom than what this thread was initially about (long scans). If I'm reading you right, your delays occur just by loading a project, even with automatic scans turned off. Is that right? Are you seeing a long pause while displaying the "W" spinning icon? If so, that's just Waves making double- and triple-sure you're not a plugin thief.

My own solution was similar to Audioicon's two-step procedure:

1. ...uninstalling Waves Central and also all Waves plugins and also deleting the waves folder (Optional).

2. ...re-installed Waves Central and all Plugins for Waves.

Except that in my case I skipped step two.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
kevinwhitect
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: Sonar very slow scanning Waves Plugins After Waves Central Update 2018/11/13 18:08:50 (permalink)
bitflipper
Sounds like you're describing a different symptom than what this thread was initially about (long scans). If I'm reading you right, your delays occur just by loading a project, even with automatic scans turned off. Is that right? Are you seeing a long pause while displaying the "W" spinning icon? If so, that's just Waves making double- and triple-sure you're not a plugin thief.

My own solution was similar to Audioicon's two-step procedure:

1. ...uninstalling Waves Central and also all Waves plugins and also deleting the waves folder (Optional).

2. ...re-installed Waves Central and all Plugins for Waves.

Except that in my case I skipped step two.

Ha ha -- well, that solves it! :D

Yes. I'm on manual scan -- and just loading the plugs causes undue delay -- in ANY project they're present in. Eventually, they load, but it's a 2-3 minute, "Okay, what should I do while I wait ..." event. 

If I load an empty project -- BOOM -- 2 second load.

This wasn't happening until I bought a couple V-10 plugs. The 9s -- which I had to uninstall and reload (I did #1 and 2 above also), worked fine ... when there were no 10s.

Now it's a "hurry up and wait" load time.

Grrrr ... why do new products have to break things?

All my music is free for download at:  

KevinWhiteMusic.com

The Rig:
i7 950 Processor
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R V.2 Mobo
12G Corsair DDR3 RAM
OS Drive: Samsung 500G SSD
Program/Storage Drives: Samsung 500G SSD (x3)
Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary) x64
Layla 24/96 on ASIO Drivers
Sonar Platinum 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1