2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons

Author
2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
2018/06/16 18:34:40 (permalink)

2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons

I've been testing and demoing a few compressors by Waves, specifically the DBX 160, the API 2500, the CLA-76, and the SSL Bus Comp.  I don't like buying things I don't really need (easier said than done), and I usually try to check something new against what I already have.  My DAW-world is essentially Ableton Live 10 Suite now, with some older projects still residing in the SPLAT realm, just waiting--and begging--to be released from the prison.  So no more Sonitus compressor (still one of my favorites) or ProChannels for me!  But it got me thinking...in testing the Waves demos, I should do a comparison to some older Cake comps as well.  Without further ado, I give you my non-scientific comparisons!  Let me know what you think, and if I'm way off the mark on this garbage/waste of time.  Thanks!

(Oh, I should mention that the tests were performed in Live and SPLAT, A/B'ed and level-matched against an inverted signal so only the differences are heard.)

Cakewalk/Sonitus Compressor: Oldie but still a very good compressor!  Wish I could still use it in Ableton Live but it's DX. Very very transparent, with no distortion or artifacts. Quite smooth!

Cakewalk ProChannel PC76: Kind of hard to dial-in, IMO. Crunchy. Compression seems weak compared to the Waves CLA-76, however it does add a little punch. Definitely not as good as the CLA-76…not even close.

Cakewalk ProChannel PC4K S-Type Bus Comp: Compression seems extremely weak compared to Cytomic’s the Glue, Live’s Glue compressor, or any other compressor for that matter. Attack times don’t seem to jive with expected results. Maybe a slight bit of punch added, but this is nowhere near as good as the Waves SSL Bus Comp.

Ableton Live’s Compressor: Absolutely transparent, no distortion, no artifacts, and very, very smooth.

Ableton Live’s Glue Compressor: Relatively smooth on attack and release with some very light crunch/artifacts on the knee.  This compressor behaves much differently than the bus compressor it’s supposed to imitate, the SSL master bus compressor.  This comp just is a crunchier and pumpier version of the above compressor.

Cytomic the Glue: Behaves and sounds 99% the same as Live's Glue compressor, which makes sense considering it should, in fact, be the same compressor.

20 Replies Related Threads

Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/16 18:35:08 (permalink)
    Cakewalk CA-2A: Pulses, and it seems to let through HMF frequencies easier, hence its preference on vocals.  Add light crunchiness and light coloration on the knee.

Waves H-Comp: Absolutely NOT transparent, with heavy distortion and heavy coloration like it’s being over-driven despite conservative settings and analog mode turned off. Thinking about selling off this compressor!

PSP MixPressor2: Not sure what this plugin does other than deepen the low frequencies and heavily distort the sound. It’s basically sounds like the MixSaturator2 with a weak-ass dynamics section.  Hearing what this plugin does (or doesn't do) just bolsters my opinion of PSP: they kinda suck.

Fabfilter Pro-C2: Not as clean and transparent as I thought this compressor should be. Crunch/artifacts on the knee, progressively increasing on “Clean, Classic, and Opto” modes. “Vocal” mode behaves like the CA-2A. “Mastering” is very smooth and transparent. “Bus” has light crunch and faster-firing on the attack.  “Punch” is hard to dial-in, but “Pumping” is smooth and sounds good.

iZotope Alloy 2: Light crunch on the attack, but not overly transparent due to it not being very smooth on the release.  Thought this compressor would be more transparent.

Beat Skillz MAX-1: This was a freebie.  Sounds like it acts more like a gate than a compressor. Terrible!

Melda MCompressor: Relatively smooth on attack and release with some light crunch/artifacts.

Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/16 18:35:16 (permalink)
    Variety of Sound Density mkIII: Can adjust punchiness by tweaking the “color” screw. This compressor can sound punchy, but can get harsh when the Timing knob is on P1 or P2. Adjusting the “Strict/Relax” screw helps a little bit, but the compressor definitely sounds better with slower timing, i.e. P3 to P6. I think this would make adjusting the compressor pretty difficult in the mix.

Waves SSL Bus Comp: Relatively smooth on attack and release with some very light crunch/artifacts.  This compressor behaves quite differently than the Glue compressor.  Actually, it’s better despite all “the Glue” hype on KVR and GS. The Waves SSL Bus Comp let’s more “thwack” through, and I can hear how it could make mixes, drums, and basses more punchier and have that “sought-after” sound.  If this is supposed to replicate a real SSL console's bus comp, then it all makes sense.  I never heard what the SSL bus comp is supposed to sound like until I demoed this plugin.

Waves API 2500: Hard to describe this one. It has some deep, beefier crunch, making sounds and frequencies come through and punch out, especially with the feed-forward (new) mode. The Tone section is definitely where this compressor shines. Character definitely happens in the “Med” and “Loud” modes. This compressor is pretty sweet.  Maybe on the wish list for this one. I can get similar results with FF Pro-C2 and some careful EQ'ing, but this wastes time.

Waves CLA-76 (Blacky Mode): Punchy and smooth. Moving the release knob adds rhythmic vibe, with the compressor riding the kick drum and creating a wave-like effect. Increasing the release knob increases punchiness/pumping.  This compressor lives up to the "1176 hype" and sounds like it can definitely make drums pump. The “all buttons-in” mode pulses/limits heavily but still sounds good and musical despite more crunchiness.  I'd definitely consider buying this plugin.

Waves CLA-76 (Bluey Mode): The same operation as above, but brighter than “Blacky” mode.

Waves dbx 160: Smooth on the attack and pop.  Let’s drums/sounds punch through without harshness. One of the best parts of this compressor version is the mix knobs, making it a great parallel processor. This is a very punchy compressor.  This one is also on my wish list.

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/16 19:03:46 (permalink)
    Hearing what this plugin does (or doesn't do) just bolsters my opinion of PSP: they kinda suck.

I can't say I agree with your opinion on PSP. I've got the Xenon limiter, Master Comp, PSP 85 delay, and 2445 and Springbox reverbs. I've always found their plugins to be of great quality. Maybe Mixpressor2 is an exception, but I don't think it's fair to say that PSP sucks. I do appreciate the thread, though.
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 00:54:58 (permalink)
    Leadfoot
    Hearing what this plugin does (or doesn't do) just bolsters my opinion of PSP: they kinda suck.

I can't say I agree with your opinion on PSP. I've got the Xenon limiter, Master Comp, PSP 85 delay, and 2445 and Springbox reverbs. I've always found their plugins to be of great quality. Maybe Mixpressor2 is an exception, but I don't think it's fair to say that PSP sucks. I do appreciate the thread, though.

Thanks for the post! I don't have any of those plugins as I only own the MixPack2 set. I mainly bought the pack for MixSaturator2, which seems to unfortunately fall into the same category of "What's Going On Here?"  I've invert-tested it as well, but I'm left scratching my head. Take the following as an example of what I mean. MixSaturator2 has mainly two modes of saturation: "Valve" and "Tape." There is a third, "Digital," but it doesn't do anything (ha!). Now, with valve (aka tube) saturation, using a 1kHz tone, I'd expect even harmonics (2k, 3k, 4k, 5k...). Likewise, with tape saturation I'd expect odd harmonics (3k, 5k, 7k...).  Proving this theory, both Alloy 2's exciter, Ozone 6's exciter, and Fabfilter Saturn all replicate this flawlessly, with some adding more "character" into the mix.  PSP MixSaturator2, however, does not. It doesn't matter if you select Valve1-2-3 or Tape1-2-3. They all produce the same result, just with varying loudness.  Both tape and valve settings produce odd harmonics.

Leadfoot
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 01:54:22 (permalink)
    That's weird... I don't have the Mixpack2 set. I'll definitely take your word for the results though, as you have obviously tested it thoroughly. I guess I can only speak for the plugins I have. I like them a lot, and have gotten great results with them. Based on your test results with the MixPack2 set, I can see why you have a negative opinion of PSP. I do know that Lexicon approved their recreation of the PCM 42 delay, with an endorsement from the original designer himself. I wouldn't completely count them out. They offer demos of every plugin they make. Maybe give some of the others a chance.
    Leadfoot
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 01:57:13 (permalink)
    By the way, I'm in complete agreement with you on the Waves API 2500 and dbx 160 comps. Awesome...
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 03:14:12 (permalink)
    Leadfoot
    That's weird... I don't have the Mixpack2 set. I'll definitely take your word for the results though, as you have obviously tested it thoroughly. I guess I can only speak for the plugins I have. I like them a lot, and have gotten great results with them. Based on your test results with the MixPack2 set, I can see why you have a negative opinion of PSP. I do know that Lexicon approved their recreation of the PCM 42 delay, with an endorsement from the original designer himself. I wouldn't completely count them out. They offer demos of every plugin they make. Maybe give some of the others a chance.

You should try the demo of MixSaturator2 and let me know what you think! You can't demo just one, but a demo is available for all the MixPack2 plugins. I don't know...I like a tool to state its obvious purpose, then live up to said purpose with results that confirm the purpose. A fine example, for me anyway, is the SSL Bus Comp vs. the Glue vs. PC4KS. I've always read about the greatness of the SSL consoles, the greatness and hype associated with the bus comp, as well as the fiddle-faddle from the Bakers about the ProChannel module. In the past, I performed countless tests with the PC4KS, trying to understand it.  Trying to understand how awesome it should be. But I never heard it. Even "the Glue" is so freakin' hyped up, it's ridiculous...but it isn't anything that jumped out and impressed me. I was happy to get it native within Live 9.  But basically, as the name implies, it's just a smooth, gluey comp.  Fast forward until now and for some reason, I never demoed the Waves SSL Collection.  Holy crap, it's what I was supposed to be hearing!  It's what an SSL Bus Comp (albeit a plugin) is supposed to sound like.  I'm definitely not a Waves fanboy, but damn!  The SSL Bus Comp was easy to adjust (though the +/- Threshold knob is weird), it lived up to the hype, and it provided easy-to-hear results.  I wasn't left struggling to hear what it's supposed to do, wasting hours on end in headphones and straining to hear the difference(s) in the monitors.

Leadfoot
    By the way, I'm in complete agreement with you on the Waves API 2500 and dbx 160 comps. Awesome...

Yeah, these are going to be hard to resist!
    Leadfoot
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 03:53:42 (permalink)
    Yeah, I never understood what people saw in the PC4KS either, or the PC76, for that matter. I do like the CA-2A, though. I agree that the Waves SSL Bus Comp is the nicest sounding SSL emulation I've heard.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/17 12:58:34 (permalink)
    Have ya'll demo'd the bx_console E from Plugin Alliance? That one sounds pretty good too. 

Tony, I also had never tried the SSL. I mean I played with it and looked at it, but never really gave it a go until recently. I have a project and placed a Waves SSL on every track and started from scratch with the mix. When I finished a rough mix of the drums I knew this was something different. The drums just had a sound that I can only describe as focused. And moving from trk to trk was very easy. Much much easier than I had ever expected it to be. I was able to just click the plugin and see the same UI and just go! It all came so naturally.

Anyway, I did the same project the same way with the bx_console E. Started from scratch and worked from there. Got great results with this plugin too. Same thing. Ease of use. Great UI. Just a much more focused sound than what I was use to.

I have to give it to Waves, their SSL plugin is easier on the CPU than the bx version. I do like the layout of the bx version a little better. But both sound extremely good.

BTW I was working with the E version in both the Waves and the bx. Have not put the G versions to the tests yet. Nor have I gave the N version of the bx_console a go yet.

And to be fair, I have in the past used nothing but the included plugins and console emulations that come with SPlat for mixes to see what they can do. They are not bad by any means.  And you could do good work with them alone. 

But color me a SSL man from now on!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    ZincTrumpet
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/18 19:13:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing your findings 2:43AM.
    I found it very interesting and it also reminded me that I have never used the Waves SSL E which I got in a deal a while back.

So I plonked it on a couple of vocal tracks I was working on today and bingo! What a great open, transparent sound and that was just using a preset and tweaking the levels. I am so impressed it might find its way into my standard template.

I will definitely pick up your other recommendations when they are in the sales.

Thanks

ZincT

Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.11 Bld 31, Windows 10 Home 1803, Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz, Gigabyte Z77 HD3 mobo, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti Fanless, Steinberg UR242 Audio Interface (F/W 1.01), Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.3
    Latest music: Click Here
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/18 21:22:06 (permalink)
    Good info.  Has anybody compared the Waves Scheps Omni Channel compressor module to the other Waves compressors?  I only have the Scheps and the H-Comp.  But according to the Waves docs, Scheps is a 3-in-1 compressor setup.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/19 01:43:02 (permalink)
    I don’t really recall much fanfare about the cakewalk pro channel compressors other than ca2a and lesser extent concrete. More than anything the two bundled ones were seen as convenient but unspectacular.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/19 02:20:15 (permalink)
    I use the Sonitus comp quite a bit probably 60% of track inserted comps. The probably another 25% are UAD based comps for buss or master channel work. I use fab filter here and there.

Did you use any basic metric when comparing them all ? meaning - 4:1 ratio and metering -4db gain reduction on all comps   etc etc ? I understand you level matched them.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/19 04:37:05 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    I don’t really recall much fanfare about the cakewalk pro channel compressors other than ca2a and lesser extent concrete. More than anything the two bundled ones were seen as convenient but unspectacular.

Agreed. CA-2A is regarded as one of the best emulations of the LA-2A. Apparently, there's some good code in that little gray GUI!  PC76 and PC4KS were convenient indeed, but rather mushy and hard to dial in, IMO.

Rbh
    I use the Sonitus comp quite a bit probably 60% of track inserted comps. The probably another 25% are UAD based comps for buss or master channel work. I use fab filter here and there.

Did you use any basic metric when comparing them all ? meaning - 4:1 ratio and metering -4db gain reduction on all comps   etc etc ? I understand you level matched them.

I basically first ensured that silence occurred when the opposite-phased track was mixed into the master. Even if a plugin inherently added or subtracted gain, I zeroed it out by ear until silence or near-silence occurred.  Since my findings were essentially remarks on what I heard, I did level-match them with a peak-meter utility in Ableton Live as well as used Spectrum (and Voxengo Span) for confirmation of what was going on.  The analyzers were used to confirm if any harmonics were being generated, albeit loosely and not under great scrutiny.

On a side note, the dbx 160 comp is going to a tough sell...er, buy...for me.  Once again, I am my own worst enemy! Experimenting around, I put an instance of Alloy 2 on my kick drum track and used the multi-band transient shaper to bring up just the high-end smack of the kick.  This replicated the dbx 160 attack pretty well, with even better (and more controllable) results.  The bottom-end was better preserved using Alloy 2 vs. the dbx 160.  The kick drum had better cut but retained the punch and thud.  Something to try if you haven't dusted off Alloy 2 for awhile!
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/22 18:27:07 (permalink)
    So this is pretty cool. I have an old-school encoder/screen-capture software, so I hope the videos play.  Check out how various compressor plugins react to a 1kHz sine test tone.  In the videos, watch an oscilloscope, a frequency analyzer, and a level meter all at the same time!

http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/Alloy2comp.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/API2500.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/CLA76.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/dBx160.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/H-Comp.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/SSLBusComp.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/LiveGlueComp.avi
    Compressor is not visible, but I am tweaking the threshold, ratio, and attack knobs.  The generation of increased harmonics is caused by a very small attack time.
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/LiveComp.avi
    Compressor is not visible, but I am tweaking the threshold, ratio, and attack knobs.  The generation of increased harmonics is caused by a very small attack time.
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/Pro-C2.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/Ozone6CompandMaximizer.avi
    http://www.efextek.com/pluginvids/Ozone5CompandMaximizer.avi

Maybe someone can chime in on this one, but do all compressors create some sort of harmonic distortion when compression occurs?  Is this the "coloration" term that is frequently tossed around?  Also, it's cool to see the compression taking place on the 1kHz sine wave when the attack is brought down to a small value.  It can't be seen with the naked eye, nor on the metering except for the analyzer and slightly on the Oscope, but compression is taking place with the generation of harmonics.  Wavelength of 1Khz is 1ms.  It is also worth mentioning that Alloy 2 is cleaner than I thought, and Ozone 5/6 are very clean...makes sense since they're for mastering.  Likewise, FF Pro-C2 is extremely, 100% clean and transparent when in the mastering mode. I don't use H-Comp very much anymore, but watch its vid to see how it really trashes up the audio...which I guess can be a good thing if that's what you need.  Two bonus vids star Ozone 5 and 6.  The way Ozone 6's maximizer algorithms work is particularly interesting.
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/22 18:56:16 (permalink)
    But wait, there's more.  Turns out that compressor lookahead makes a night and day difference in harmonic generation!  With the adjustable lookahead of FF Pro-C2, all harmonic generation is eliminated, resulting in a super clean and extremely transparent compression!  Furthermore, lookahead should be adjusted depending on the frequency content of the material.  At 1kHz, lookahead need only be 0.5ms or so.  At 60Hz, lookahead should be at least 8ms, which makes sense since 1/2 cycle at 60Hz is 8.33ms.  Down to 40Hz needed at least 13ms. Check it out!

http://www.efextek.com/pl...ds/Pro-C2LookAhead.avi

Grem
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/22 20:06:42 (permalink)
    Looked at the last video. The on with the look ahead stuff. Interesting!

The lower the frequency the higher the look ahead need to be to get rid of generated harmonics.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/22 21:10:22 (permalink)
    Grem

The lower the frequency the higher the look ahead need to be to get rid of generated harmonics.

Exactly! Never knew that to be the case.  Also, most compressors either have no lookahead or a fixed lookahead.
    Grem
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/24 21:47:12 (permalink)
    Grem

Exactly! Never knew that to be the case.  Also, most compressors either have no lookahead or a fixed lookahead.

So their harmonics would essentially be fixed!!  Interesting indeed. When I get some time I will have to look into this. I will get to you other videos also. Thanks.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    Grem
    Re: 2:43AM's Non-Scientific Compressor-Plugin Comparisons 2018/06/26 21:22:07 (permalink)
    Tony, I am trying to run some of these tests on some comps (and other plugs : ) but I can't get MAnalyzer to update in real time. Well, I haven't been able to see any harmonics that are being generated. : )

What settings are you using on MAnalyzer (if you don't mind me asking)?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    Home PC
    Surface Pro 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1