Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/06/18 05:27:25 (permalink)

Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working

Has anyone noticed copy and paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working?

I read once on this forum somewhere that trying to copy and paste from one region to another is like transferring something from one dimension to another. Melodyne tech support says it should work from any track or take...

It seems to not work, not just part of the time but most of the time.

I did not have this problem in Essential and Editor.

And the problem of Cakewalk wiping out (or forgetting) the clipboard got fixed but it still sometimes happens.

Cakewalk is not allowing Melodyne 4 to copy and paste.

There should be no reason why Melodyne 4 should not be able to copy from one take track or other to the clipboard and paste to the now time bar in Melodyne. It works in all other DAWS (I think)...

I have switched versions of Cakewalk, graphics cards (including manufacturers), processors, this has not worked before Window's updates (upgrades) or after. This has not worked for me for over a year now.

What am I doing wrong?

If you do not use Melodyne Studio 4 then you have probably not run across this problem...

Am I the only one using this Melodyne 4 program with Cakewalk?

I have documented several "bugs" with Melodyne as it relates to Cakewalk that they were totally unaware of.

The screen often changes contrast when scrolling and the tool bar sticks to the screen and won't go away unless I restart Cakewalk.

And...... no copy and paste.

(Could someone please move this to the correct thread?)

7 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/18 08:22:58 (permalink)
    Is this whilst the region FX is active?  Just so I know when I give it a try later today.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    RexRed
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/18 08:43:44 (permalink)
    Yes, this is when the region effect is active down in the bottom click up panel.

Copy and paste is completely unpredictable and for the most part does not work at all.

Neither when you use the hot keys nor when you use the drop down edit menu and I even tried to assign new shortcuts for the actions and no luck so far yet.

What I do now is comp solo the section from Melodyne I want to copy and hold ctrl and drag it where I want it.

It works like a charm but it is not what I expected on how to do this and I have to delete the part I no longer want to use or stow it away on a blank muted track. 
    RexRed
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/19 00:23:25 (permalink)
    Another thing that does not work in Melodyne Studio 4 with Cakewalk is the auto scroll button. Auto scroll works only for a while when you first open a project and over a short period of time auto scroll stops working and the auto scroll button in the lower right hand corner of Melodyne has no effect.

It is a curiosity as to whether if these problems are Cakewalk induced or if they are isolated to Melodyne Studio 4 alone. I tend to think Melodyne and Cakewalk have somehow fallen out of sync due to the Cakewalk updates "interruption".

For, if these were global problems with Melodyne it would stand to reason that a lot more people would be writing Melodyne about them, just a thought. 

I have really liked the Cakewalk updates especially the ones related to Melodyne, particularly, the update that allowed comping of Melodyne takes. That feature is fantastic! I fear Melodyne integration has suffered from fast updates with Cakewalk and then neglect due to the interruption.

Please look into these anomalies.

There are also color issues with the contrast flickering back and forth from grey to white in Melodyne and the toolbar occasionally sticks to the screen when using the note splitting tool in conjunction with the right click mouse.

I have documented these bugs...

I have also put in a request to Melodyne to add "color blobs"...

They were on the fence about it... but maybe, I have convinced them to see the light.

It could be a feature that one could turn on or off.

When working with 14 vocal tracks in a 17 minute song, color is crucial or, one is clicking through 14 tracks searching for that elusive blob that is slightly off.

Keep the gray blobs but color integration with Cakewalk would be such a nice feature and it would sell a lot of Melodyne programs. I for one would upgrade immediately. I have been told by Celemony techies that color blobs is a much requested feature. :)

It would be nice if Cakewalk passed along track color settings to Melodyne and vise versa. :)

Another thing is that, Melodyne has no public forum... :(

I assume this is because so many people resent that artists use Melodyne to correct pitch and they are loud mouthed and stink up a forum with their bias...

If you do not like track tuning, don't listen... 

Just try and make a song with autotune and see all the trolls come out of the woodwork and criticize your music...

They seem to forget their criticism when they are wagging their butt at the club to it. 

Melodyne I am sure is fed up with the trolls who criticize their product and I don't blame them for not having a forum..

But it does hurt development of this great product as does the negativity by people who do not really understand that years ago pitch editing was used also but it was just not something that an average garage musician could afford. 

Pitch editing was reserved to multi-million dollar studios who had 15 sound engineers and if you listen to old recordings of songs the entertainers were not spot on either.

Our memory of the past is better than the reality of the music really was.

I can pick out tuning problems in lots of "oldies but goodies".

They have mostly been fixed these days with remixing and remastering (with Melodyne and other tuning apps)... So there! :)

If you don't think that rewinding the tape and punching in a line 100 times is not also "cheating" well that is what they did way back when and no one complained about that... Or splicing in a word or syllable into a tape is not cheating... Where were all the purist critics back then? 
    post edited by RexRed - 2018/06/19 02:32:12
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/19 14:33:32 (permalink)
    Part of the problem may be down to the ARA 2 and CbB not being ARA 2 compatible.

I have to say I have always found it best to Open Melodyne, do the edit, then render before I do anything else. 

But I think you are trying to copy a "good bit" in one region to replace a "bad bit" in another region is that right?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    RexRed
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/19 15:02:48 (permalink)
    Wookiee

I have to say I have always found it best to Open Melodyne, do the edit, then render before I do anything else. 

But I think you are trying to copy a "good bit" in one region to replace a "bad bit" in another region is that right?

I never render down my Melodyne tracks so I can go in at a later date and still edit them.

They get rendered down when the whole song gets rendered.

And yes it is usually a chorus part one or a few words that i will try and copy.. It used to work where I could just select the blobs hit ctrl c and place the time now bar where I wanted it and hit paste and it would paste the blobs right in. This does not work anymore.

It is a real loss of functionality.
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/19 15:12:45 (permalink)
    You can cut an paste audio without using Melodyne, just as a test why not try rendering?

We are in a transitioning state with ARA 1 and ARA 2 which might be causing the issue for you.

RexRed
    Re: Copy/Paste in Melodyne Studio 4 not working 2018/06/21 00:54:07 (permalink)
    Hello Wookiee, thanks for the response!

I never render my melodyne tracks because later I will hear a line that is late, too loud or slightly out of pitch and I do not like to re-sample the line in ARA to then edit that one spot and then render it a second time.

I prefer to leave Melodyne on my tracks so I can go back in and edit more things at a later date.

I never render my Melodyne tracks, they get rendered with the final mix always. Also I can go back and undo a render which leaves my files fairly untouched except for one initial ARA re-sampling.

If I re-sample once, then twice, then multiple times my vocals lose their clarity just like any file that is re-sampled repetitively.

Compression algorithms are not perfect, they distort the sharpness and introduce artifacts...

The trick is to re-sample as few times as possible to retain the crispness and clarity of the tracks.

I do freeze my midi tracks because I can just unfreeze them and re-render and they only go through a minimum of one re-sampling too.

I guess I am a purest in that regard where I do not like to re-sample more than once for any track.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1